Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience (19501 Views)

Lady Loses N15,000 At An ATM Queue In Lagos / Lady Shows The N1000 Note Dispensed To Her By An ATM In Lagos / See The Torn N1000 Note I Got From An ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:37pm On Mar 26, 2016
....... .
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 26, 2016
Interesting

There was a day I was going home at my usual 9:30 -10 pm, only for me to get to Eko hotel and realize my purse was empty. With the confidence of a man with a few thousands in his account I strolled to the bank only for the ATM to be telling me my GTB account was temporarily unavailable.

I thought it was a one bank thing. I tried the ATM card of my salary account, with the same result. I decided to walk back to the zenith bank on Ajose and try that as the ATM there had never failed me before.....but this night it was the same thing.

That was when it dawned on me that the BVN linking that I had done on all my accounts successfully according to the banks was actually not successful. Now the bank where I did my Bvn registration was Sterling bank and it was the account I opened during my youth corper days, so I had already abandoned the account. I was completely stranded. Infact I was already considering going back to the office and begging the guards for money to at least get me home.

Out of desperation I decided to walk back to EKO hotel roundabout and try my sterling ATM card at the Sterling bank there even though I knew there was no money in the account. I got there, slotted in the card and just punched in 1k withdrawal. For a long time the machine was just whining and humming while I was there sweating and literally speaking in all manner of tongues. Miraculously a few minutes later it brought out 1k. I have never appreciated a one thousand naira note like I did that one.

I tried again and it gave me another one thousand naira before telling me the account was out of cash. Till today, I don't know where the two thousand naira in that account came from.

Suffice to say that I now make sure there is at least two thousand naira in all my bank accounts. You never know when that will be money that will bail you out.

35 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 26, 2016
mytime24:
Here to read comments

Seems u're a staff of one the banks,just saying.

I work @ skye and so,I know what u guys are talking abt.

Some people are too big 2 confirm from staff,security for assistance @ a bank that's why the atm will keep debiting some and b4 they can get their money back,it could take them over 3months or so.

Also,it's always advisable 2 use ur bank atm in the event of debiting,not all banks atm is programmed 2 credit automatically an already debited customer whose cash has been 'jam'(cash Jam) by another bank atm.

Sorry,u guys should also learn how 2 use other means such as pos.

That's all for now.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Bollinger(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2016
Strange. I have never had a problem with my chase card. I must be doing something different.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 26, 2016

During the search for Mrs Jarus.

I was going to Minna, Niger state, to check on a potential Mrs Jarus.

I don't like keeping cash with me, so just withdrew 20k at the Lagos MMIA ATM and used 17k to pay for Lagos-Abuja ticket.

I got to Abuja airport and tried withdrawing more cash for continuation of my journey by road to Minna. Na so GTB ATM dey tell story.

I thought it was a temporary thing and felt it would be fine before I got to the park.

I got an airport cab that charged me 3500. Although I had 3k with me, I was sure the ATM would be working before I got to our destination: Utako park.

We got to the park and I entered the nearest bank, a Zenith Bank, to withdraw more money, give the cab man 3500, used the remaining as fare to Minna etc.

Same story: can't withdraw. I was sweating, lamenting, calling my friends in GTB to tell them the mess GTB had put me into in Abuja. A friend that worked in their Head Office contacted their IT and they gave him feedback that it was ageneral issue they're fixing on that Saturday.

I was raking on, raising voice against my GTB friends as if they were the ones responsibility.

The taxi man collected the 3k left with me and left short of 500.

I was still lamenting in front of the bank, trying the ATM every 3 minutes.

1 hour, 2 hours, no show.

I had no dime left with me.

I narrated my ordeal to the bank security guy who saw me apprehensive, and he offered to give me 1k.

Abuja-mInna was 800 so I used the 1k to pay for fare and had 200 left on me. I got to Minna likee 2 hours later and I headed straight to the nearest ATM. It worked!

I returned to Abuja next day en route Lagos, but because I was rushing to catch my flight, couldn't go to the Utoko park to thank nd refund the bank guy.

On my next visit to Abuja like 2 months later, I went to that Zenith branch to thank the guy and refund him. He wasn't on duty that day, but his friend on duty collected it and gave him next day. I think he called

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by freecocoa(f): 7:54pm On Mar 26, 2016
MoneypassGod:
Sometime ago i was broke and didn't hav a dime on me, salary hasn't been paid. Not a single drop of water at home. Later my elder bros sent 4k and as i received d alert i left immediately with a sigh of relieve to withdraw it. Took me about 30 mins to trek to d bank. The nearest bank was diamond bank. As i tried to withraw d 4k it started to count but then stopped counting and my ATM card came out of d machine by itself, and no money was paid. Phew... I quickly left to UBA, d queue there was a bit long. Wen it was about to get to my turn 4 persons came out of d blue and said they were there b4 me. D kind drag wey drag, i later allowed dem to withdraw. Den it got to my turn all eyes was on me. As i tried to withdraw 4k it said insufficient fund. Wat! wot d hell. Tried withdrawing 3k said same thing. I was trying to process wot was happenin wen someone shouted frm behind ''press 'NO' now''. I felt mortified as i left d bank. It was after i hav gone out of d bank dat i received a message tellin me 4k has been deducted frm my account wen i tried to withdrwa money frm diamond bank. No be small thin dat day. Till now d 4k hasn,t been revesrsed.
I find this post very funny.

"Press NO now" grin grin grin

Naijarian can sabi have no chill, no one cares.
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by iamauxin(m): 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2016
You all gotta chill and listen to mine

It was on my birthday few years ago, so I invited a couple of my friends to a little get-together in a popular fast-food joint in Umuahia. I had like 5k cash as we got to the fast food, so everyone's order was taken and my guys and some girls that came along were thrilled and was even thanking me that I made their day...when the bill was passed to me lo n behold 8500...I was a little startled but not really shaken since I had another 5k in my account(my plan B), so I excused myself to go and make some withdrawals. I got to be ATM, slotted my card and the response was sharp and direct...'issuer inoperative ", I quickly cancelled the transaction and went to another Bank after waiting for my own turn to come,I inserted my card, did d preliminaries and requested for 5k and I waited patiently as it displayed "transaction in progress" for what seemed like 10 mins and then the green light started blinking signifying that another person can now insert his ATM. Alas!
My card has been swallowed. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I walked back to d fast food joint, I have never been frustrated like that, and the girls that came along didn't help matters were all acting funny, I expected them to at least pretend and appear to b cool...
To cut d story short I had to explain to d waitress who agreed after she confirmed my ordeal. Well, now I'm a bigger boy, I plan better, have a better cycle of friends..
ATM taught me!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by freecocoa(f): 8:02pm On Mar 26, 2016
I have never been stranded but have experienced the stress that comes with the atms in Nigeria.

It can be very frustrating.
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Mznaett: 8:04pm On Mar 26, 2016
I just dey vex dz eveningsad
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 26, 2016
Me? I don't even withdraw from my account...I only deposit....lol
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by tonymorris: 8:06pm On Mar 26, 2016
Yes i have

Mine was back in school in Enugu, i left school in the morning and wanted to travel back home to Lagos. So i went to withdraw my t-fair frm d atm using my ecobank card only for d machine to say i have limited balance. Was so surprised cus my sis had just sent me some moni, i even checked my balance and saw the 7k she sent. I went round different areas of enugu from mornin till evening trying all atm i could find but it said the same thing, i finally gave up i was stranded knew no one in enugu couldn't go back to school as i would not be allowed to leave again. Then i saw a security man @ an hotel and told him my plight and he had pity on me and allowed me to spend d nyt in his one room. Luckily for me the nxt mornin i was able to withdraw d moni and i traveled straight to lag and ditched that rubbish atm.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Josnac(m): 8:09pm On Mar 26, 2016
Automated Terror Machine (ATM)..
Lol, its story no be here.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Noblewhiz(m): 8:10pm On Mar 26, 2016
mytime24:
Here to read comments
I can see.....
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Laraberry: 8:11pm On Mar 26, 2016
Haa, yessoh. It was on POP Day last yr july at Iyana Ipaja. I summed up my movement dt the cash left on me shud take me to n fro cos i dint want to withdraw . Hmmm. Dt was how it rained heavily, T fares doubled, i was socked, ATMs had no network. Haa, it was terrible. Thank God for a lady corper like me i met on my way who bailed me out. Luckily for me , she was going my way. So she paid my tfare to my bus stop , afterwhich i took a bike to my mums shop b4 my mind was rest. I cn never forget that day.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2016
Mine was when I paid all I had into my account.. I did my BVN the week before and the BVN wasn't sent to me.. I wanted to eat that morning.. Money no come out.. Had to beg a friend who reluctantly borrowed me money.. When I finish eating.. I got a message.. My BVN was sent.. I was able to withdraw.. If not ehn.. The kind hunger wey go catch me that day no be small.. I was even in the hostel again to make it worse
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by grandstar(m): 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2016
Mine happened 2 weeks ago. I was forced to ask someone on the ATM queue for a 100bucks to get home! grin tongue
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Ibejiaku(m): 8:28pm On Mar 26, 2016
e author=dsauce post=44129679]Have u ever been left stranded by not being able to withdraw from an ATM,especially when u are in dire need of cash?. How did u handle this and ur reaction.

Let me share my own lil scenario. I  was very CLOSE to been stranded if not for my diamond ATM card that bailed me out.

I got to my bank (FCMB which is d only acct i knw i av a substantial amount) to withdraw but on getting there,none of the ATM was working so i had to use another bank. To cut the long story short, i was debited without money been dispensed.

I was so confused and started sweating lol, then suddenly i remember i av less than #1000 on my DIAMOND  account which i rarely use. U need to see how i was praying inwardly for the machine to dispense #500 which would actually be sufficient for my transport fare to ibadan.

All dis happened at Ijebu ode,and i dont knw anybody there that i could av collected money from cos i was on TRANSIT . Maybe na ENDURANCE "SUFFERING" TREK i for do to reach ibadan,the scary thing was that all this happened around 7pm in the evening in a town where i know NOBODY. Let me hear your own experience(s). [/quote] hmmmm mind was in Onitsha. After visiting my kings men. Coming back, went to buy some equipments. Withdrew the budgeted money for the above items with some amount still available in my account. Chai Na here wahala begin. After buying the equipments, I rushed back to thesame atm get the remaining cash. My account was debted and the money was not dispenced. Na there agbada hook wire. I rushed into the ECO bank to tell them the issue and the reply will have to be after eight working days. NNa'a Men see uncalled Wahala. I just placed a call to my kingsmen that agbada have hook wire. I was told to go to an address at onitsha main market so get real cash for my transport (to pay back when I get back to my destination. Thank God I got my money back after 8 working days including saturday and sunday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by jayAjoku(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2016
My experience was on a Friday in 2014 when i wanted to go home for the weekend was at choba campus uniport went to the atm was with only #50 at the time needed 350 to get home. Stayed on the long queue waited till it got to my turn when it did i tried and was told issue or switch inoperative tried several times at other atms still same problem had to trek from choba to ozuoba then took a taxi with the 50 naira to mgbouba trekked from mgbouba to rumuokwuta before i could get to an atm that worked and helped my card issue can't forget that day was trekking and crying

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by sirbrw(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2016
Can not remember
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Engineermbugame(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2016
Damilare5882:
Please dont mind my english oo grin..........mine wasnt a good one at all .. but thanks to God .. it happened a day to my birthday last year .. while i was thinking on how i was gonna celebrate my birthday, that was how a friend that was oweing me came to pay me back .. (a sum of 40k)..proceeded to the bank to deposit it ..on getting to the bank , i met a long queue, so i had to tip one of the security i know to help me deposit it and told him i will come back for the teller like i always do.. due to the pressure from friends that i must celebrate my birthday for them , that was how i decided to go to ilorin shorite to buy alcohol and some few drinks.. went with a close friend thats has a ride so we drove down..we got in and did the shopping ..while we were doing the shopping ,we been taking some inside .then proceeded to the queue to pay .. on the queue ,wooed a girl and we started talking ..when it got to my turn to pay, the cashier did the calculation and gave me my bill (32k)..i brought my atm and inserted into the POS while i was still talking with the girl, input my password waiting to collect my receipt ,to my surprise, i was told insuffucient fund, .. Na so i first cut the conversation with the girl ..looked at the shoprite cashier....... thinking abi dis one no know weytin she dey tok nii ..so i told her to retry it ..naso i see am again.. oboi con see as people dey look me .. wey i baff up .. d girl sef change face !!.i con dey sweat !!..and i was already even drinking out of the drinks ooo .. i first moved to one side .. the girl still dey look me.. Thank God for my friend, na him GOd use that day oooo ..that was how he came to meet me, narrated the whole shit and then brought his own card out to pay.. when we got back to sch ehn , na bank i enter straight , was now told that the money was posted to a wrong account that they gonna refund it in the next 2 days..i para for them ehn ..con dey imagine sey my frnd no dey there ..n so person go just cast ....mehn na bad experience
my man ur own experience cast o
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Engineermbugame(m): 8:34pm On Mar 26, 2016
Gracito:
We finished exams around 6 that day. Na my last 30 naira I use go department. I trekked from management to bank. The machines refused to pay, na like that I use leg reach ifite gate, because I Couldn't C empty bus to even beg[color=][/color] cry cry
unizike right?
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Engineermbugame(m): 8:35pm On Mar 26, 2016
Gracito:
We finished exams around 6 that day. Na my last 30 naira I use go department. I trekked from management to bank. The machines refused to pay, na like that I use leg reach ifite gate, because I Couldn't C empty bus to even beg[color=][/color] cry cry
ur a student of unizike right?
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Gracito(f): 8:36pm On Mar 26, 2016
Engineermbugame:
ur a student of unizike right?
yeah
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Mattin(m): 8:38pm On Mar 26, 2016
Damilare5882:
Please dont mind my english oo grin..........mine wasnt a good one at all .. but thanks to God .. it happened a day to my birthday last year .. while i was thinking on how i was gonna celebrate my birthday, that was how a friend that was oweing me came to pay me back .. (a sum of 40k)..proceeded to the bank to deposit it ..on getting to the bank , i met a long queue, so i had to tip one of the security i know to help me deposit it and told him i will come back for the teller like i always do.. due to the pressure from friends that i must celebrate my birthday for them , that was how i decided to go to ilorin shorite to buy alcohol and some few drinks.. went with a close friend thats has a ride so we drove down..we got in and did the shopping ..while we were doing the shopping ,we been taking some inside .then proceeded to the queue to pay .. on the queue ,wooed a girl and we started talking ..when it got to my turn to pay, the cashier did the calculation and gave me my bill (32k)..i brought my atm and inserted into the POS while i was still talking with the girl, input my password waiting to collect my receipt ,to my surprise, i was told insuffucient fund, .. Na so i first cut the conversation with the girl ..looked at the shoprite cashier....... thinking abi dis one no know weytin she dey tok nii ..so i told her to retry it ..naso i see am again.. oboi con see as people dey look me .. wey i baff up .. d girl sef change face !!.i con dey sweat !!..and i was already even drinking out of the drinks ooo .. i first moved to one side .. the girl still dey look me.. Thank God for my friend, na him GOd use that day oooo ..that was how he came to meet me, narrated the whole shit and then brought his own card out to pay.. when we got back to sch ehn , na bank i enter straight , was now told that the money was posted to a wrong account that they gonna refund it in the next 2 days..i para for them ehn ..con dey imagine sey my frnd no dey there ..n so person go just cast ....mehn na bad experience
grin grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Edipee(m): 8:39pm On Mar 26, 2016
Mznaett:
I just dey vex dz eveningsad
what's up with you?
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by yarnings: 8:39pm On Mar 26, 2016
Will not want to remember that ugly scene
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by bolabolabo: 8:41pm On Mar 26, 2016
chei! that very day ehn... I pictured my self doing fine bara.

Dont mind my Epistle, I am only trying to be detailed.

it was on a Sunday, I live at Lakowe, way after Ajah. the closest ATM is at mayfair (N50 Tfair away). I Had N200 on me.

I got to Mayfair thinking to myself "Nothing dey happen". At mayfair, there are only two banks, First bank and Sterling Bank. I proceeded to first bank, and it gave it's normal story because that bank can f*ck up very well "TEMPORARILY UNABLE TO DISPENSE CASH" I still gallant enter Sterling bank. I saw people withdrawing I felt relaxed. there were still abt 20people before me when it suddenly stopped dispensing. For 20mins I waited for it to start dispensing, I never knew I was jonzing. It was around 6:40pm by then.

since it wasnt yet late, I decided to go to Abraham Adesanya (N100 fare from mayfair) so I cld use the Gtbank ATM there close to Fidelity Bank to avoid bank charges. On getting to Abraham Adesanya at about 7:20pm, Gtbank decided to show me say dem dey watch my every move. It started showing me "ISSUE OR SWITCH INOPERATIVE" I knew it was network but was hoping it happened because I used Gtbank ATM (F*olish thinking). I tried Fidelity bank, omo the thing give me big ela. same thing "ISSUER oR sWITCH iNOPERATIVE". Mean while other people were withdrawing happily. I decided to try the next bank FCMB, that one no even on light.

I close eye swallow spit, chest out begin dey march go the next bank Zenith Bank beside Ajiwe Police Station. I tried my luck again, the same story "ISSUER OR sWITCH INOPERATIVE" by then, it was already close to 7:45pm and I had only N50 in my pocket. Tfare back to Lakowe is N100 by bus and N150 by car.

I used the N50 to take keke from Ajiwe to Ilaje. on getting to the Gtbank at Ilaje, sighting from afar, dere was no queue, I was super happy but still with the fear of wat I might find wen I get closer. I got closer and my fear became real. the 4 atms were OUT OF SERVICE. it was already past 8pm by then.

As this was happening, I knew I had to go to work (Ikoyi) the following day (Monday). Unfortunately, everyone in my house had no cash on them. infact two people had to transfer to my account so I could also withdraw for them.

I just gba kaamu and sat down at the Ilaje FCMB Atm waiting for gtbank network to come back to its senses. While I was there, there was another young man in my shoes. He told me he was on his way home hoping to withdraw his tfare from the ATM and then gtbank disappointed him.

The young man and I sat dere together gisting and hoping for the miracle to happen. and indeed after about 40mins the miracle happend. one LUCKY guy just got to the ATM With his gtbank card and withdrew like normal. I was suprised because everyone with gtbank Atm card cldnt withdraw. immediately I saw that d guy withdrew, i tried mine, lo and behold, I withdrew. I jumped up like I won Nairabet. the young man also withdrew. by then it was already 9pm.

We parted ways and I began my journey back home with a smile on my face and a thought on my mind. "what would I had done if I wasn't able to withdraw that night?"

That was my Experience.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by enjay1(m): 8:47pm On Mar 26, 2016
wow
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by ladyF(f): 8:47pm On Mar 26, 2016
Una own beta pass.

That moment you use your last money to get to the ATM, only for it to seize your card grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Santi19(m): 8:54pm On Mar 26, 2016
It has happened to me like three times now, first one was in 200L, we were going to Lagos for a field trip and people were already waiting inside the bus then i remembered i didn't have money on me, I ran to the ATM to quickly withdraw the last 10k in my account, and that's how the machine just counted and made that shrrrrrrru sound only for it not to dispense, had to borrow money from my friends to hold till we got back.
Second one was during my project in 500L, we were to repair the machine to be used for our project and i was the one collecting the money, that's how i called the technician to come inside school to collect his money o, when I got to the ATM, he called that he was already at the gate and I told him to hold on that I'll soon be with him and that's how the ATM removed the money without dispensing, it just sounded like I was lieing and playing with him when i told him what happened.... was so annoyed that day ehn
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by Engineermbugame(m): 8:54pm On Mar 26, 2016
Gracito:
yeah
department and level.
Re: Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience by fidelity09: 8:56pm On Mar 26, 2016
mine was during nysc at Enugu in 2012 it was December and I decided to travel to Lagos. I left with my fellow corp member by name grace we got to God is good park at holy ghost I dropped my bag and we trekked down to fidelity back the ATM said unable to dispense, went to first bank same story I was down casted because every body has traveled I resulted to going home back but grace was my saving angel. she give me her unity bank ATM to try if it will dispense low and behold it dispensed and she gave me 12k till today she never collected that money when I tried returning it....just as I remember how u saved me from an impending shame today may you never be put to shame in ur life OKO GRACE....she is a rare gem

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nationwide Implementation Of The Cashless Policy. Is This Fair On Nigerians? / PFS 25th Anniversary: "Started With A Borrowed Laptop, Car And Drive" / Naira Tumbles To 980/Dollar, FX Shortage Worsens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.