Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% (25121 Views)

Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport / Foreign Airlines Reject Kaduna Airport / Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by NaijaEfcc: 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
TippyTop:

Meanwhile, Zahra Buhari is flying to and from London like she was using okada, nice.
lol you see her?

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by ApexTitan(m): 4:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
Even if you're not in support of this government,atleast you're still a Nigerian. The fact is that,we all have to make certain sacrifice,in order to achieve a better Nigeria. Local production should be encouraged,while import should be technically discouraged.
And to your question,luxury expenditure includes; vacations,medical tourism,patronage on luxury goods around the world, and the list goes on.

You are in a hole. Stop digging please. Its painful to watch.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 4:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
ApexTitan:

You are in a hole. Stop digging please. Its painful to watch.
what do you mean? If you think its relevant,spill it here.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Let's correct your idea that Abacha knew better. Abacha kept the official rate of naira exchange at N20-N23 ....while the parallel market ran at N89 to the dollar. Round tripping was even worse back then.

Devaluing the naira means that you need more naira to buy imported goods...which means that you end up with inflation....and with higher costs of local goods....which are produced with imported raw materials.(More inflation) This would only make things harder for the foreign investors.

What we need now is ways to get more forex.And the eventual way is industrialization which means producing high end goods for the foreign markets...which would earn us forex,and crucially make us able to devalue the naira to our advantage.

Naira is already devalued. How many people are getting dollar to buy at N199. Majority buy at N300. So the government is just deceiving itself by saying they wont devalue

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by yaki84: 4:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
I think its high time we started producing our own air planes. This is 21st century,any form of economic imperialism-cum-monopoly from the European powers should be subdued.
#YesWeCan!

You should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policies are deliberate efforts to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.
Have you ever thought of this?,if the need of those wanting to travel outta the country is met at home here,those foreign airlines will be forced to slash down their fees, due
to low patronage.

then it also mean buhari shud stop travelling abroad, he shud stay at home n work, use the local companies to develop nigeria n also work with the local investors. no need going to qatar, saudi arabia, iran, n other countries begging them to come inveat in nigeria.
abi we no get local investors here?

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by safarigirl(f): 4:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
M4gunners:
But ur dey for kosovo na haba.
na ship we use come

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by drseunzy(m): 5:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
The thing is, will the price go back when dollar reduces?
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by M4gunners: 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
safarigirl:
na ship we use come
Lol.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Tellemall: 5:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
I think its high time we started producing our own air planes. This is 21st century,any form of economic imperialism-cum-monopoly from the European powers should be subdued.
#YesWeCan!

You should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policies are deliberate efforts to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.
Have you ever thought of this?,if the need of those wanting to travel outta the country is met at home here,those foreign airlines will be forced to slash down their fees, due
to low patronage.

What steps have you taken toward producing airplanes in Nigeria? Or is it all about making noise about it and doing nothing about it? You've set up the infrastructure for plane manufacture? You've got qualified aeronautic engineers? Heck, are Nigerian material engineers up to scratch? Are you an engineer with a dream? You really blow a lot of hot air.

And don't tell people about "discouraging luxury expenditure". Your president is still living the luxurious life and he doesn't intend to stop soon. Even if Nigeria begins to manufacture shoes, there are people who still want to wear Prada and will continue to.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by katibu(m): 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
e be like say most people never school demself to see things from the standpoint of understanding... most of us have been trained to only complain and blame. granted, Nigeria is in difficult situation but Buhari policies concerning financial and fiscal matters are designed to encourage national output... we producing our things. should we continue importing razor blades and needles in this country or should we strive towards our own?
I am not PDP or APC zombie.. but this is just a fact. we need to shift focus from consumers to at least producing some things as the giant of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Montaque(m): 5:47pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

So you want PMB to let the dollars flow? That would leave us out of dollars to buffer the naira....leading to the naira falling,and inflation and more issues.

Or we should devalue the Naira?That would only make the parallel market worse...and won't change anything.

What is your alternative?
One question. What has buhari done to buffer the naira?
There are many options and he choose the one we are currently under.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Montaque(m): 5:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
katibu:
e be like say most people never school demself to see things from the standpoint of understanding... most of us have been trained to only complain and blame. granted, Nigeria is in difficult situation but Buhari policies concerning financial and fiscal matters are designed to encourage national output... we producing our things. should we continue importing razor blades and needles in this country or should we strive towards our own?
I am not PDP or APC zombie.. but this is just a fact. we need to shift focus from consumers to at least producing some things as the giant of Africa.
When government places a ban on something or try to discourage it's import, it creates alternative or bolster people that will create alternative. Just like was done in fish breeding in Nigeria when it's import was prohibited.
What has been done in the airline industry, no national carrier. What has been done in other sectors by this government. None
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by mikolo80: 6:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well, what the government is doing now is the least worst of a slew of bad alterantives.

We are oil dependent. And when the price of oil falls....we have to conserve the amount of dollars we have so that we do not lose the value of the naira.

We could diversify....but the problem is...it takes a long time, we need to increase the number of large farms in the country...and anyway....agricultural products prices are not controlled by us...they are controlled in the same London and New York where oil is controlled.

What we should be doing is spending more on educaiton (Which is what we are doing)....and renovating and imporving power...so that we can become a manufacturing power. A process which can take years.

So...what is your alternative.? What do you think PMB should be doing.?
you're funny.how do you control price?is it not by supply or demand?produce enough and you too can "control" price
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by mikolo80: 6:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Pavore9:
lt is really a sad situation. Even before the dollar scarcity flying from Nigeria has always been expensive because these airlines know Nigerians are always willing to pay while Emirates, British Airways, Turkish Airlines and co are always advertising promos of cheap flights on Kenyan newspapers.
demand and supply
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by mikolo80: 6:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
femadesh:
Jesus take the wheel
with all these calabash for junction at midnight?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
Let's be honest. Those in charge of this sector decided to just do nothing, while we are ripped off right in our own country embarassed .
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Revolva(m): 6:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
Wetin concern me I de use plane....
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
katibu:
haba my brother,the thing just tire me.
See how sweet it is for them to criticize without first stopping to think where this man is trying to lead us to
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
Now this one will affect me directly.
Someone should please tell the peesidiot to fix this shiiit ooh.
I can't shout
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Mekurexx: 9:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
Textbook argument. The two major aeroplane makers Boeing & Airbus didnt just start yesterday. They have devoted years of reseach and infrastructure development. I dont see any african country investing to produce aeroplanes. the best that can happen is to order them and grow a national airline or the local aviation industry
babym7681:
#YesWeCan!

to low patronage.

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 9:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
Mekurexx:
Textbook argument. The two major aeroplane makers Boeing & Airbus didnt just start yesterday. They have devoted years of reseach and infrastructure development. I dont see any african country investing to produce aeroplanes. the best that can happen is to order them and grow a national airline or the local aviation industry
but Nigeria has no national carrier now,that's the point. Lot of works need to be done and that's what the President is technically trying to fix. Got my point?
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Mekurexx: 10:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Lets see how far he can go
babym7681:
but Nigeria has no national carrier now,that's the point. Lot of works need to be done and that's what the President is technically trying to fix. Got my point?
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by nikkyshyne(f): 10:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
I pray this is reverted. Oh boi!
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 11:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tochaigh:

I had to login because of your comment. We should produce our own planes? waoh, what secondary school class are you in? Aeroplane sounds like okada to you isn't it!

I now feel one could get dumber by reading NL comments.

Lol!!!!!!!! grin grin cheesy
Made in Nigeria Plane sad
If I hear angry angry
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by LordReed(m): 9:10am On Mar 29, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://www.punchng.com/dollar-scarcity-foreign-airlines-raise-fares-by-100/

The writer does not understand maths. 200 to 380 is not a 111% increase it's a 90% increase.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by delezac(m): 9:16am On Mar 29, 2016
This is not true. I just booked a flight (return Ticket) via emirates.com (los-dxb) and the fee is N160,011.
Checked etihad, it's N130,150. Stop spreading false reports.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Adesiji77: 11:01am On Mar 29, 2016
LordReed:

The writer does not understand maths. 200 to 380 is not a 111% increase it's a 90% increase.

grin
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by divineappo(m): 10:59am On Mar 30, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://www.punchng.com/dollar-scarcity-foreign-airlines-raise-fares-by-100/
how much is flight by air from lagos to abuja, please sum1 shuld help, a friend wants to travel today
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by desy24444(m): 12:48pm On Mar 30, 2016
Where is my virgin Nigeria?
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by bejeria101(m): 6:11pm On Apr 02, 2016
LordReed:

All na increase.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by katibu(m): 8:23am On Apr 19, 2016
babym7681:
haba my brother,the thing just tire me.
See how sweet it is for them to criticize without first stopping to think where this man is trying to lead us to

I tire my broda. change is harder than staying the same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / Bus Travelling To Bayelsa Tumbles On East-West Road, Ahoada (Photos) / Air Peace Starts Direct Flights To Israel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.