Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% (25083 Views)

Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport / Foreign Airlines Reject Kaduna Airport / Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by manny4life(m): 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:

if you're well schooled,you should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policy are deliberate effort to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.

The first time you gaffed, people overlooked it, this second gaffe cannot be forgiven. What home industries is/has the government strengthened since it came to power? Beside, in relation to the topic, what's the "luxury expenditure"?

3 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by manutdadex(m): 3:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
I think its high time we started producing our own air planes. This is 21st century,any form of economic imperialism-cum-monopoly from the European powers should be subdued.
#YesWeCan!

lolz..keke napep una no fit produce.... Abegi
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by abbey621(m): 3:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Awon ode! Flight cost did not increase, if you purchased a $1000 ticket at an exchange rate of 200 Naira and purchased $1000 at an exchange rate of 300 Naira at a later date, this does not equal Airlines increasing fares. This simply means that the Nigerian Naira lost value compared to the dollar.

4 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
duni04:

I disagree with you.
If we devalue our Naira, like other oil dependent countries have done, we will actually attract more foreign exchange because there are plenty of opportunities in the country and foreign portfolio investors will rush in with dollars to invest. The problem is that Buhari's stance on devaluation is chasing the foreign investors away. If they come in today and buy our Naira at N199 and the government announces a devaluation tomorrow to N250, they will lose 25% just like that. Plenty of investors want to come in and access or bond market, capital market e.t.c but our monetary policy is scaring people away! Buhari's economics is 1960's. Nobody keeps the value of his currency artificially high like we're doing for sentimental reasons. Even Abacha knew better.

Let's correct your idea that Abacha knew better. Abacha kept the official rate of naira exchange at N20-N23 ....while the parallel market ran at N89 to the dollar. Round tripping was even worse back then.

Devaluing the naira means that you need more naira to buy imported goods...which means that you end up with inflation....and with higher costs of local goods....which are produced with imported raw materials.(More inflation) This would only make things harder for the foreign investors.

What we need now is ways to get more forex.And the eventual way is industrialization which means producing high end goods for the foreign markets...which would earn us forex,and crucially make us able to devalue the naira to our advantage.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by jericco1(m): 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
safarigirl:
Na people wey dey travel abroad get this akin wahala.....we wey never see visa before, talk less plane, e no concern us
u neva c plane...well the odds of u nt seeing it has doubled o. Lol
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by manny4life(m): 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well there is inflation. What the government is doing is not letting it get worse.

As for policies...the best policy for now is to conserve foreign exchange. We could rely on Agric to get us more...but Agric,despite the improvements under the last Admin is still poor....we do not produce enough cotton, groundnuts,palm oil, etc for export. And we have fallen far behind in Agric.(we went from no 1 in palm oil to producing less than 10 % of the world's palm oil output).

And even if we devalue....at the end of the day...the parallel market would get worse...and the round tripping would continue.

So..allwe can do is conserve forex. Because if we don;t....we would end up with a devalued naira and even worse inflation.

So...what do you think the government should be doing? I am serious.

We don't have to produce for export since we can't meet the capacity, but production will likely increase local consumption thereby decreasing imported produce which in turn will drastically reduce need for FOREX. This is simple economic policy: when a govt encourages local production and consumption, then there isn't a need for import. Ask yourself why beef/vegetables are barely imported in the U.S., and why the past administration were very successful in curtailing the need for FOREX for agricultural produce. Conserve FOREX all you want, in as long as there are factors adversely affecting demand and they're not addressed, it's only but a matter of time.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by codemaniacs: 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
Iwonttell:
Seems no nigerian debit card works for international online payment for now undecided

Are u sure
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 3:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
manny4life:

We don't have to produce for export since we can't meet the capacity, but production will likely increase local consumption thereby decreasing imported produce which in turn will drastically reduce need for FOREX. This is simple economic policy: when a govt encourages local production and consumption, then there isn't a need for import. Ask yourself why beef/vegetables are barely imported in the U.S., and why the past administration were very successful in curtailing the need for FOREX for agricultural produce. Conserve FOREX all you want, in as long as there are factors adversely affecting demand and they're not addressed, it's only but a matter of time.

Simply what we need to do is develop a local industry. Which is what the govt is talking about...I hope they do more than talk.

But companies in Nigeria too should be innovative...and look for replacements for imported goods.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by macaranta(m): 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
safarigirl:
Na people wey dey travel abroad get this akin wahala.....we wey never see visa before, talk less plane, e no concern us
Lol straight up
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Lemibare(m): 3:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://www.punchng.com/dollar-scarcity-foreign-airlines-raise-fares-by-100/

If foreingn fares can cost 1m naira per trip. wats my own. I want buhari to make fares from Lagos to Ibadan #100 per trip. helpless country with no future. I pity d pple of dis land ooooo including myself.
Now d struggle is elevating but d grace of God will comfort u and me.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by onatisi(m): 3:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
femadesh:
Jesus take the wheel
was it Jesus that voted ?
Or was it Jesus that didn't ask buhari and other presidential candidates their plans for the nation?
Was it Jesus that collected cups of rice and recharge cards from corrupt people as bribe to vote for them?
Was it Jesus that bought arms ,cutlasses and axes with the aim of killing people once gej rejected the results or won ?
Until Nigerians start taking responsibility for their actions and taking necessary steps to correct them,the nation will never move forward
white people and other progressing nations nationals use their own brains before voting in order to choose the right people but Nigerians in particular always lock their own in a safe place ,stop thinking and vote fooolishily only to put on their thinking caps after elections and then they start calling god for help

4 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
manny4life:

The first time you gaffed, people overlooked it, this second gaffe cannot be forgiven. What home industries is/has the government strengthened since it came to power? Beside, in relation to the topic, what's the "luxury expenditure"?
Even if you're not in support of this government,atleast you're still a Nigerian. The fact is that,we all have to make certain sacrifice,in order to achieve a better Nigeria. Local production should be encouraged,while import should be technically discouraged.
And to your question,luxury expenditure includes; vacations,medical tourism,patronage on luxury goods around the world, and the list goes on.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by manny4life(m): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Simply what we need to do is develop a local industry. Which is what the govt is talking about...I hope they do more than talk.

But companies in Nigeria too should be innovative...and look for replacements for imported goods.

Yes, there is a need to develop local industries, but local industries will not spring up when we our govt cannot engage the people. I am yet to see what the govt is talking about because short term remedies haven't been discussed let alone implemented. This is yet again, why the past administration had an edge over the current administration.

How can Nigerian companies be innovative when our govt is busy chasing the wind? America did not become great because companies just wanted to be innovative, they were encouraged by their govt. Let our govt put aside sentiment and focus, and Nigeria may be great some day.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by duni04(m): 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Let's correct your idea that Abacha knew better. Abacha kept the official rate of naira exchange at N20-N23 ....while the parallel market ran at N89 to the dollar. Round tripping was even worse back then.

Devaluing the naira means that you need more naira to buy imported goods...which means that you end up with inflation....and with higher costs of local goods....which are produced with imported raw materials.(More inflation) This would only make things harder for the foreign investors.

What we need now is ways to get more forex.And the eventual way is industrialization which means producing high end goods for the foreign markets...which would earn us forex,and crucially make us able to devalue the naira to our advantage.
I'm guessing you schooled in Nigeria because that's classic Nigerian textbook economics you're quoting.
There is inflation now because the CBN started selling forex to the banks only, pushing everyone else to the parallel market. Now importers of food, textiles, cars, E.t.c who hitherto got forex at N220 or N230 from the banks now have to get at N320 from BDCs who are no longer dependent on the CBN. Headline inflation increased to 11% because these importers have transferred the additional finance cost from obtaining dollars at N320 to the consumer! The scarcity of dollars we're experiencing is very normal with Mino product economies. What is abnormal is for the government, out of pure sentiment and maybe naiveity not economics, to keep the currency artificially high and encourage massive round tripping. N199 to N320! That's a 37% premium for anyone who's able to obtain forex from the CBN, hook or crook.
Investors are lining up to come in and pour their dollars in the country. This scarcity of dollars is not as a result of oil prices, it's because of the ignorance of our leadership.

3 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Tochaigh: 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
I think its high time we started producing our own air planes. This is 21st century,any form of economic imperialism-cum-monopoly from the European powers should be subdued.
#YesWeCan!

You should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policy are deliberate efforts to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.

I had to login because of your comment. We should produce our own planes? waoh, what secondary school class are you in? Aeroplane sounds like okada to you isn't it!

I now feel one could get dumber by reading NL comments.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by danidee10(m): 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
olapluto:
Well, I do not think it is the airlines. They charge in dollars. The official dollar rate has been static, so we should look towards Nigerian banks for their rates. The cost of flights remain the same (in dollars).

You sir are the only sensible person here....others are just shouting gej, pmb and change
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
duni04:

I'm guessing you schooled in Nigeria because that's classic Nigerian textbook economics you're quoting.
There is inflation now because the CBN started selling forex to the banks only, pushing everyone else to the parallel market. Now importers of food, textiles, cars, E.t.c who hitherto got forex at N220 or N230 from the banks now have to get at N320 from BDCs who are no longer dependent on the CBN. Headline inflation increased to 11% because these importers have transferred the additional finance cost from obtaining dollars at N320 to the consumer! The scarcity of dollars we're experiencing is very normal with Mino product economies. What is abnormal is for the government, out of pure sentiment and maybe naiveity not economics, to keep the currency artificially high and encourage massive round tripping. N199 to N320! That's a 37% premium for anyone who's able to obtain forex from the CBN, hook or crook.
Investors are lining up to come in and pour their dollars in the country. This scarcity of dollars is not as a result of oil prices, it's because of the ignorance of our leadership.

? at the bolded.

We had 60 bn dollars in our ECA at the start of the GEJ admin.It fell to 32 bn on the day PMB took over. And now it is at 28bn.

The scarcity of dollars IS due to the fall in oil prices. (Saudi Arabia spent $124bn in 2015 boosting their currency.).

Round tripping is a problem....but devaluation won't make it better. It would make it worse.....and don't forget the inflation problems that would get more worse.

Foreign investors won't come and do business in an inflation driven economy.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by abduldope(m): 3:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
by Gods grace i most leave this country cm 2019 b4 person die here mtxhwww
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 3:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tochaigh:

I had to login because of your comment. We should produce our own planes? waoh, what secondary school class are you in? Aeroplane sounds like okada to you isn't it!

I now feel one could get dumber by reading NL comments.
stop looking down on yourself,great powers started from somewhere. If you have time,try reading through the economic history of China,then u'd know where Buhari is going.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
manny4life:

Yes, there is a need to develop local industries, but local industries will not spring up when we our govt cannot engage the people. I am yet to see what the govt is talking about because short term remedies haven't been discussed let alone implemented. This is yet again, why the past administration had an edge over the current administration

Past admin also had the advantage of higher oil prices...averaging at $111 for 2010-14.

When there is dollars...the people will come.

How can Nigerian companies be innovative when our govt is busy chasing the wind? America did not become great because companies just wanted to be innovative, they were encouraged by their govt. Let our govt put aside sentiment and focus, and Nigeria may be great some day.

Well, they are not innovative because they do not want to use raw materials in Nigeria...they would rather import raw materials from outside(That is why they work when there is oil boom time...but fail when oil boom goes...and there is no forex to import raw materials)..

Besides....the govt needs to fix the power supply to get the industries functioning. And power stations are not built in ten months.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:

You should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policy are deliberate efforts to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.

And manufacturing airplanes is the way to go right? Economics deal with economies of scale, what's going for us in ur argument of manufacturing airplanes? First things first, we need to put the basics in place. A favorable environment which include power supply. Na wa to you oooo , babe this is a no-case. Drop ur argument.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by sonnie10: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well there is inflation. What the government is doing is not letting it get worse.

As for policies...the best policy for now is to conserve foreign exchange. We could rely on Agric to get us more...but Agric,despite the improvements under the last Admin is still poor....we do not produce enough cotton, groundnuts,palm oil, etc for export. And we have fallen far behind in Agric.(we went from no 1 in palm oil to producing less than 10 % of the world's palm oil output).

And even if we devalue....at the end of the day...the parallel market would get worse...and the round tripping would continue.

So..allwe can do is conserve forex. Because if we don;t....we would end up with a devalued naira and even worse inflation.

So...what do you think the government should be doing? I am serious.

Agreed, agriculture is one sector that need to be developed in Nigeria but that would take a considerable number of years. In my opinion, there are two major things that would greatly impact positively on Nigeria's economy. These are electricity and added value to crude oil.

Electricity would encourage small and medium scale manufacturing. Let me give and instance; if a small scale business runs a 30KWA generator for 10 hours in a day, by the end of the day they will spend more than #10k on diesel. In a month they have would an expenditure of about #300k on gas alone. This amount is transferred to the finished goods. Remember, there are other alternative products from Asian countries which are equal competing in the market place. Now tell me how this is sustainable?

Our petrochemical industry is underdeveloped, we are not producing enough petrochemical raw materials for our industries. Majority of manufacturing companies depend on imported raw materials which we have the capacity to produce. This import dependency adversely puts pressure on our Forex. This would also add jobs to the economy. Secondly, Nigeria need to start refining of crude oil to save on importation too.

Again, Nigerians need a cheaper source of domestic household fuel for cooking. How come most countries abroad are able to connect gas from a public utility mains for household use while Nigerians depend on expensive Kerosene and retail cylinder gas. If each house hold can get cooking gas from utility companies, this would leave a lot of money in each household pocket at the end of every month. It is simple economics of bulk purchase.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by duni04(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

? at the bolded.

We had 60 bn dollars in our ECA at the start of the GEJ admin.It fell to 32 bn on the day PMB took over. And now it is at 28bn.

The scarcity of dollars IS due to the fall in oil prices. (Saudi Arabia spent $124bn in 2015 boosting their currency.).

Round tripping is a problem....but devaluation won't make it better. It would make it worse.....and don't forget the inflation problems that would get more worse.

Foreign investors won't come and do business in an inflation driven economy.

You're probably mistaking Foreign direct investment with Foreign portfolio investment. Foreign direct investors are people who come in with dollars, exchange for Naira and build factories and in most cases eventually repatriate their profits home in dollars. Foreign portfolio investors on the other hand invest in financial instruments, equities, bonds E.t.c Both classes of investors come in to the country with dollars and exchange for Naira. Both classes of investors do eventually repatriate their profits back home.
No sensible investor will come into Nigeria with the exchange rate at N199 to a dollar and with the threat of devaluation looming over. This is because if they purchase our Naira and give us dollars at N199, what happens when they want to repatriate their profits back home? Your government tells them they will need additional N51 for every dollar because the currency has been devalued to N250. For both sets of investors, FDIs and FPIs, that's a massive loss. We're seeing this play our in our capital markets. FPIs are exiting massively because of the capital restrictions. They're taking their dollars away! Now you tell me is that sensible monetary policy?
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by notoriousbabe: 3:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
That's why it's good to be a witch or wizard. You can fly to anywhere without in the world without paying a dime
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Tochaigh: 3:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
babym7681:
stop looking down on yourself,great powers started from somewhere. If you have time,try reading through the economic history of China,then u'd know where Buhari is going.

Nonsense. Plane production isn't a West vs Africa thing.

Aeroplanes tech is a very costly one, and I don't mean money, it is one that has improved from what was learnt from plane crashes and so on. Plane production is 'exclusive' to companies that being doing it for over 70years. Qatar has the money to start whatever it wants, but Qatar Airways use Boeing jets. Unless you want to f**k with people's lives, you don't wake up and start producing jets. Plus no airline will buy Nigerian made jets, no Nigerian in his/her right senses would even fly in one.

I'm all for made in Nigeria products but please there's a limit to it.

3 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Skibofire(m): 3:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
femadesh:
Jesus take the wheel
Na to drive go anywhere Na him sure pass
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by ApexTitan(m): 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
This report is just another case of sensationalist reporting by Punch newspapers.

What has increased in airline tickets is the naira equivalent of the dollar amount. The price of tickets in the international market has not witnessed any unusual or notable hike.

One has to question the competence of the editors in Punch for allowing this kind of story to fly.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Jimi23(m): 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
This economy is crumbling b4 our very eyes and Buhari says its a blessing? This is not the change Buhari promised Nigerians. He should remember that Nigerians are wiser now and will not hesitate to have him flung out of Aso Villa come 2019.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Krismart(m): 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
olapluto:
Well, I do not think it is the airlines. They charge in dollars. The official dollar rate has been static, so we should look towards Nigerian banks for their rates. The cost of flights remain the same (in dollars).
Go to d bank and collect dollar let's see
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by babym7681(f): 3:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tochaigh:

Nonsense. Plane production isn't a West vs Africa thing.

Aeroplanes tech is a very costly one, and I don't mean money, it is one that has improved from what was learnt from plane crashes and so on. Plane production is 'exclusive' to companies that being doing it for over 70years. Qatar has the money to start whatever it wants, but Qatar Airways use Boeing jets. Unless you want to f**k with people's lives, you don't wake up and start producing jets. Plus no airline will buy Nigerian made jets, no Nigerian in his/her right senses would even fly in one.

I'm all for made in Nigeria products but please there's a limit to it.
Do u know that as large as Nigeria is,we still do not have national carriers? Nigerian airways was bought over by Richard's Virgin Atlantic, and now all we could boast of are presidential jets which even incur more expenses on us. Ethopian Airline on the other hand,is fast dominating the airspace of Africa.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by Ekakamba: 3:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
revamp industries? Agree. Have you ever heard the words: break even analysis? There're some things we shouldn't dare go into coz the return will be absolute loss perpetually. luxury expenditure your said, and when has buying airplanes for biz become luxury expenditure? Gosh! You don't know what you typed.
babym7681:
#YesWeCan!

You should know that this government's Forex and other monetary policies are deliberate efforts to revamp our home industries and discourage luxury expenditure.

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% by rodbel(m): 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
This is the right time to launch our own National Carrier. To cash in on the shortcomings of the so called international airlines. We won't be needing funds repatriation as Naira is already our base currency. This would also be a source of much needed FOREX for our dear country. Also, employment opportunities directly or indirectly is guaranteed (Pilots, Cabin crews, Administrative personnels etc) President Buhari should please look into this. Some of t recovered stolen funds can be channelled to revive this... I optimistically look forward to that day I would board a brand new NIGERIAN AIRWAYS plane.

God bless my country!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos Of Train Crash Recovery In Osogbo / Bus Travelling To Bayelsa Tumbles On East-West Road, Ahoada (Photos) / Amaechi Reduces Train Ticket To N500 After He Was Ambushed By Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.