Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North (2941 Views)

NAF Moves Against Killer Herdsmen, Sets Up Base In Taraba, Benue, Nasarawa Axis / Did Benue, Nasarawa And Plateau States Listen To Ndigbo? / Is Benue State Part Of Biafra? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by enlightenedmind: 7:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Why are these states classified as north? I mean i am from benue state and we are not north we don not want to north. I do not know much about the pre-colonial divisions. Can someone explain to me how.
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by Ekugbeh(m): 7:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
4 me, i think it beta called central nigeria.
Buh may b 4 d fact dat it's closer to d North and mostly islamic which i think is well connected to d hausas and fulanis.
Ma opinion tho.
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by enlightenedmind: 7:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
Ekugbeh:
4 me, i think it beta called central nigeria.
Buh may b 4 d fact dat it's closer to d North and mostly islamic which i think is well connected to d hausas and fulanis.
Ma opinion tho.

No; that is not true;
In my village, we do not have a single mosque. Most People put together in these regions including Niger, are Christains. We do not speak Hausa, Fulani. We do not eat fufu or drink Kunu. We do not even share their culture or even like them. So how are we North. WE ARE NOT NORTH
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by AbdQoyyum: 8:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
well bros if am nt mistaking... I tink before, those states were referred to as middle belt..... due to zoning n closeness to d north.... those states got North Central n nt mere North.....
also I tink kwara state too is included....
in d north central States . kwara state ought to b in South West......
bro no cause for alarm even if 9ja divide... hausas cnt claim ur state

1 Like

Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by Alphaoscar: 8:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
I have also been wondering how some of these state's got classified as northern states. even on the map they are much more closer to the south than the north.

Maybe they used rivers Niger and Benue to form the classification.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by stonemasonn: 9:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
AbdQoyyum:
well bros if am nt mistaking... I tink before, those states were referred to as middle belt..... due to zoning n closeness to d north.... those states got North Central n nt mere North.....
also I tink kwara state too is included....
in d north central States . kwara state ought to b in South West......
bro no cause for alarm even if 9ja divide... hausas cnt claim ur state
Hausa can claim all the states in the north central unfortunately.
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by omenka(m): 9:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
enlightenedmind:
Why are these states classified as north? I mean i am from benue state and we are not north we don not want to north. I do not know much about the pre-colonial divisions. Can someone explain to me how.
We should call people like Paul Unongo and ask him. cheesy

You are right though, Benue, Kogi, and Plateau states especially. I usually prefer the "Middle Belt" connotation than the North Central.

I remember when I was serving in Warri, dudes there used to think Benue is predominantly Hausa/Muslims. Little did they know the population of Muslims in Benue is less than 3% cheesy
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by AbdQoyyum: 9:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
stonemasonn:
Hausa can claim all the states in the north central unfortunately.

bros is dere a prove to dt?
most of dese States r nt being governed n ruled by hausa.... most of d pple r nt hausas... na tell m hw dey wud lay claims to such States...
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by hajbash: 11:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
enlightenedmind:

No; that is not true;
In my village, we do not have a single mosque. Most People put together in these regions including Niger, are Christains. We do not speak Hausa, Fulani. We do not eat fufu or drink Kunu. We do not even share their culture or even like them. So how are we North. WE ARE NOT NORTH
pls dont call NIGER state in ur analysis because we are 80 percent muslims,iam from kontagora in zone c and also almost 90 percent of nupe tribe are muslims only in gwari u will get little proportion of christians.finally,we almost all drink kunu and fura da nono.lastly,u lie.i was in benue state last three months,precisely gboko l.g.a. i went to u.b.a bank almost all the customers in that bank are speaking hausa fluently.and also all the state you mentions including plateau state they are speaking hausa allot thats why they are refer to the north,i was born in jos at dadin kowa,bukuru road.thank

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by Sharp9: 11:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
It was a political demarcation by some people and some people agreed to be called north. And that same people refused to aspect that cross river, Akwa ibom ,Bayelsa,Rivers and some parts of delta are in the east. Before you argue,please take look at the map. peace
Re: Why Is Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, Jos, Abuja Classified As North by Ugosample(m): 2:19am On Mar 29, 2017
hajbash:
pls dont call NIGER state in ur analysis because we are 80 percent muslims,iam from kontagora in zone c and also almost 90 percent of nupe tribe are muslims only in gwari u will get little proportion of christians.finally,we almost all drink kunu and fura da nono.lastly,u lie.i was in benue state last three months,precisely gboko l.g.a. i went to u.b.a bank almost all the customers in that bank are speaking hausa fluently.and also all the state you mentions including plateau state they are speaking hausa allot thats why they are refer to the north,i was born in jos at dadin kowa,bukuru road.thank

Does everyone in Niger state speak Hausa?
And is Niger state a peaceful state??

(1) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1966 And Present Picture In 2016 / Why Goodluck Jonathan Went On "Exile" In Ivory Coast / BREAKING: Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Shell, Agip pipelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.