Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ (9996 Views)

Nigeria Ranks The Second Worst Country In Electricity Supply In 2017 / Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation / Federal High Court Voids Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fines NERC/DISCOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by olafunny(m): 11:50am On Mar 30, 2016
We dy owe 4 my compound sef
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by frubben(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2016
And if dey announce, people that hav country should raise dere hand up, Nigerians will still raise dere hand. Chai!!!!.

That's why nigerians should b serious with God, cos it will be a pity to suffer in dis gathering dey call country and still suffer in hell
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by IrradiatoR: 11:51am On Mar 30, 2016
midolian:

1. He added that the companies had improved on their facilities by installing smart prepaid meters, taken customers’ enumeration and installing new technologies for adequate electricity.

2. He expressed concern that many customers did not want to pay their electricity bills, adding that this was hampering the sector.
Mr. Oduntan urged electricity consumers to settle their bills as this would help to develop the sector.
I know either of the itemized points above will negate the other, so

Mr. Oduntan,

which one do we believe, 1or 2
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 30, 2016
Hahahaha, is this a joke? How much energy do they consume?
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by fallout87: 11:54am On Mar 30, 2016
So that is why Fashola wants to increase the tax burden!

He wants to use your backs to carry the armies load. What a government!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by chiefoboh1(m): 11:55am On Mar 30, 2016
martyns303:
"Leadership by example" federal government with all the trillions don't pay NEPA bills, and they have the guts to accuse average Nigerians of not paying bill.

On the bright side, at least I am not the only one paying high electricity bills, N60 Billion? In electric bills alone?
the thing tire me o, 60 weti?
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by IdomaLikita: 11:56am On Mar 30, 2016
i think the Military as an Institution is big enough to generate its own power. i hate seeing them rely on yeye NEPA, infact, they should be exporting power to civilians same way they export healthcare, events centers, shops etc to civilians. i see no reason while Army Divisions shouldnt have independent Power stations to run on.
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:56am On Mar 30, 2016
Thank God this issue was raised by the DISCO officials. I could remember when I was in secondary school, the barrack opposite my school owed NEPA like 10million Naira. NEPA interrupted barracks light, the next thing they went ahead and beat up NEPA officials. The President need to call them to order.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by tomholly: 12:00pm On Mar 30, 2016
You can imagine! And a soldier has the guts to beat up a "NEPA" staff for not supplying power regularly grin grin

midolian:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/201017-nigerian-army-govt-offices-owe-n60-billion-electricity-bills.html

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by MDMDSA: 12:00pm On Mar 30, 2016
The system of NEPA operation in Nigeria is very bad.i want the public to know that the billing is also including the blackout bill,because even there is no light for a year in an area NEPA will continue to bring there bill to accumulate it. that is the total that gives you that 60 billion they are talking about.those power company are thieves the President should ignore them.when we have other things to do with money in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Pascal181: 12:04pm On Mar 30, 2016
Go to their barracks and say this 2 them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by dondo83(m): 12:08pm On Mar 30, 2016
LadyExcellency:
Implementation of TSA and rigidity of procedures makes accessibility of funds required to service utility bills more difficult hence the huge debt.

Finance ministry should provide imprest for MDAs to service their monthly debts and responsibilities.

for ur mind u don talk finish bah? when was tsa implemented? Are you telling me 60billion has been incurred between november last year and now? kwontinuu

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by johnbenson541: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2016
Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company Plc, after disconnecting our light for almost a 8 months they still dey bring bills with new rate, jux wondering how are they taking their readings. Buhari save 9ja.

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2016
When PHCN was NEPA and before the DISCO.....many government parastatalls did not pay their bills.

So....what's new?

First time I heard about govt owing NEPA was in 1990.
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Praktikals(m): 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2016
mystic70563:
how is that our business, power holding should go to the army barracks and demand for their money or better still cut of their power supply, the way the intimidate and insult the ordinary civilians if they are really up and doing than ranting in publications........

rubbish!!!
Soro niyen?
www.nairaland.com/3018353/angry-soldiers-invade-nepa-office&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjTveHopejLAhUP52MKHdu8AeEQFggGMAA&usg=AFQjCNHfcF5Auj0cFUbbek4NSau2wTxl3w
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2016
with that 60 billion, the army can generate their own power supply
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Akmarshal(m): 12:44pm On Mar 30, 2016
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by ceejay80: 12:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
They should go to hell, the money wey we citizens don pay till today , where is the light? Dem just dey look for free monet to embezzle ,

Where's the light ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Reference(m): 1:28pm On Mar 30, 2016
They should be cut off immediately. What nonsense. Are they not given money in their budgets to pay bills which they are obviously stealing. Power is now privatised and everyone must pay his bills. Do they use their phones free too. Nonsense people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by banme1(m): 1:30pm On Mar 30, 2016
Dullard dullard dullard na ur fault be that. Me I sayyyyy eh! Buhari Na ur fault be that!! . Sing along
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Charly68: 1:35pm On Mar 30, 2016
Ok now ,sell three of Badeh Alex houses & pay the electricity bills of defense headquarters .. Please if they don't pay you can hire firm to make case for phcn in this regards
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Reference(m): 1:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
omohayek:
This just shows up the stupidity of all those who were jubilating at hearing about soldiers assaulting DISCO staff members: the sheer scale of the debts owed by the army and other government organs is what is making it so difficult to upgrade the transmission infrastructure. Who will lend money to companies that can't collect from their biggest debtors because they live in a lawless country where anybody in khaki can act as if he's above the law?

And the bulk of consumption in these military formations occurs in the barracks not even in their offices and operational facilities because our military in most parts remains an 8hr service. Like the civil service they get in at 7 and close at 3pm yet are given almost constant power. For what.
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2016
Aromas:
Na lie grin

Its actually true. NNPC owed twice this total a few years ago. They had to use gas to pay their bill to phcn, in a debt restructuring agreement. True story. Govt offices are d WORST debtors. If u look at their books' current liabilities - always in overdrive and always abnormally old. They can owe u for 10 years.

They never pay anything on time, when they eventually do, they ask u to multiply ur bill so they skim d top of it. Nigerians are so corrupt. We keep doing ourselves, thinking we are doing others.

Even now I know MANY homes DT have done indirect connection from their prepaid meters - helped by d same phcn staff for 10,000 under d desk payment. And we want 24hrs light like developed countries. Is it teeth they will use to invest in power?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Reference(m): 1:58pm On Mar 30, 2016
IdomaLikita:
i think the Military as an Institution is big enough to generate its own power. i hate seeing them rely on yeye NEPA, infact, they should be exporting power to civilians same way they export healthcare, events centers, shops etc to civilians. i see no reason while Army Divisions shouldnt have independent Power stations to run on.

If you have been getting free power for 50 years why stress yourself. Cut them off and they will do. Even private companies are running turbines. Don't they have a Corps of Engineers. What are they doing? Engineering mammy market swig joints. Their mates in the US Army rebuilt power stations, dams, bridges and roads in Iraq after the war. Does the Nigerian army even have a tipper.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by seguno2: 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2016
rusher14:
Yet the ogas at the top cream off all the funds and stash them in the house, in offshore accounts.

Honestly, we have a problem.

Now that you have acknowledged that we have a problem, will you be kind enough to give us ideas on how to solve it?
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by rusher14: 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2016
seguno2:

Now that you have acknowledged that we have a problem, will you be kind enough to give us ideas on how to solve it?

The truth is the Nigerian spirit is highly corrupt.

What we take as normal are taboos in various functional societies of the world.

The use of technology might help but trust me, we have so much sunk into cesspool of lying, cheating, avarice that technology alone wouldn't solve our problems.

We are uninterested in science, research and pure unadulterated hardwork.

The Nigerian spirit needs to be reborn.

Please don't ask me how that would happen.

It is individual as well as societal.

For now the society has lost its way.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by blackprowler: 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2016
rusher14:

The truth is the Nigerian spirit is highly corrupt.

What we take as normal are taboos in various functional societies of the world.

The use of technology might help but trust me, we have so much sunk into cesspool of lying, cheating, avarice that technology alone wouldn't solve our problems.

We are uninterested in science, research and pure unadulterated hardwork.

The Nigerian spirit needs to be reborn.

Please don't ask me how that would happen.

It is individual as well as societal.

For now the society has lost its way.

I've wasted my whole life and prospects because I stand on this same ground. Tell me: how does it help when demagogue politicians like Ben Bruce champion a refrain that "we are Nigerians; we are not corrupt". Everyone is so happy to hear such deluded views and then when someone like me has the courage to go 180 degrees and tell Ben Bruce so, instead of any healthy debate, I get a block (on Twitter). Nigeria is a joke. Check my posts, I always end that way. Where do we start? We're so far gone into the pit

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by naijagobetter(m): 4:47pm On Mar 30, 2016
midolian:
You can imagine! And a soldier has the guts to beat up a "NEPA" staff for not supplying power regularly grin grin

Well, it serves them right..if 1% of this amount was owed by an individual, they would have done their disconnection long b4 now.

#Awon werey cheesy
i smell corruption/stealing, electricity and accomodation is deducted from their monthly salary for those staying in the barracks, so why will they pay and not have light?
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by Kenmoris22: 4:58pm On Mar 30, 2016
That is good for them cause there is no light
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by HenryLiverpool(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2016
Bad debt indeed...forgone debt
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by ollyruffy: 8:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
Thats why Buhari and APC are imposing new tarrif on poor nigerians.

APC is a scam.
Re: Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ by charlsecy(m): 8:27pm On Mar 30, 2016
midolian:
....if 1% of this amount was owed by an individual, they would have done their disconnection long b4 now.
1% of N60 billion? You mean N600 million. How could an individual ever owe that in electricity bills?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Order Ladoja’s Arrest - EFCC To Court, Over N4.7bn Fraud / National Reserves 8,000 Tonnes Can’t Solve Food Crisis — Officials / Umahi On Inspection And Commissioning Tour To Mark His Two Years In Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.