Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,883 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (374) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11591695 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:09am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

And that's how the Indomie generation added that Samuel Okwaraji died during the match after he scored our only goal. grin

cc: terzurum5
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:17am On Dec 06, 2016
joseph1013:
grin grin grin

I was listening to a live radio sports show one day. And I was shocked! shocked when the two presenters also mentioned that the version they heard was that Samuel Okwaraji died in that match. I was like..... indomie generation grin

I called them sharp-sharp, and called them indomie generation grin and told them that "Thunder" Balogun scored the only goal from the version we heard. We laughed over it and they called me Kpokpo-garri generation in return. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:19am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Moses w displace Babaginda

Moses of October-December 2016.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:24am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
U know what Nigerians doesn't have respect for new generation of super eagles,so they w never agreed with u.

I can only rate Odegbami and Finidi higher than Moses for now not Babanginda,also Okocha than Mikel not Olishe(forget the screamer against Spain)let see d development of Balogun and Ekong may be we can rate them with Okechukwu and Taribo,time w tell,not forgetting Iheanacho,Iwobi,Etebor,Ndidi and rest.

@ Bolded, we have seen the bests of the bests in decades past. No be matter of respect, this crop still dey learn.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

You dare mention Babangida and Musa in the same sentence?

No be say anything Musa will nt make the starting 11 for any Super Eagles Team from 2006 and earlier.
yea Tijani and Musa,pls prove me wrong and i still repeat what is d difference btw d duo.Pls some of us have been watching ball before d emergence of Finidi talk less of TJ,so i know what am talking about.

Pls just tell me what make TJ special than Musa to d extent some are even rating him than Moses.Apart from Odegbami,Finidi and of recent Moses coming into d league,i don't see any Nigeria right sided winger for now that can be classified into this category not Babaginda or even Musa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:31am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
yea Tijani and Musa,pls prove me wrong and i still repeat what is d difference btw d duo.Pls some of us have been watching ball before d emergence of Finidi talk less of TJ,so i know what am talking about.

Pls just tell me what make TJ special than Musa to d extent some are even rating him than Moses.Apart from Odegbami,Finidi and of recent Moses coming into d league,i don't see any Nigeria winger for now that can be classified into this category not Babaginda or even Musa.

You rate Moses even ahead of Emmanuel Amuneke?

Babangida was not even a usual starter. As u know the argument is on if any of the current Super Eagles would make the starting 11 of the France '98 Team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:37am On Dec 06, 2016
[img][/img]
Icon4s:

@ Bolded, we have seen the bests of the bests in decades past. No be matter of respect, this crop still dey learn.
Pls what are they learning,player like Mikel,Musa,Moses,Echiejele,Ideye,Omeruo and Enyeama if he comes out of retirement won Afcon that the likes of Kanu,Babaginda,Taribo,Babayaro,Oruma,Aghaowa just to mention few cannot boast of

Pls this guys deserve little respect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:38am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Babangida was not even a usual starter. As u know the argument is on if any of the current Super Eagles would make the starting 11 of the France '98 Team.
Did i mention Amuneke
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:45am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Yes,Mikel,Moses,Leon and if he comes out of retirement Enyeama w give anybody run in d starting eleven of France 98

What is so special about a team that conceded 9 goals in 4 matches,d team that lack potent striker and goalkeeper,anchor by a midfielder who played to himself and d spectators(watch Denmark and see Okocha displayed)The real team that can be compared with any emerging formidable team is US94 squad not France 98.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:53am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
[img][/img]Pls what are they learning,player like Mikel,Musa,Moses,Echiejele,Ideye,Omeruo and Enyeama if he comes out of retirement won Afcon that the likes of Kanu,Babaginda,Taribo,Babayaro,Oruma,Aghaowa just to mention few cannot boast of

Pls this guys deserve little respect.

Firstly Enyeama is gone for good.

Lets even not go as far as the France '98 Team. Lets Compare with the 2006 AFCON Team. With the exception of Mikel (who was part of that Team) and Moses, list players of the current crop that could have made the starting 11 of the 2006 AFCON Team.

In case we are struggling to recall members of that team's starting 11:

................Enyeama

Odiah...Yobo...Enakarhire...Taiwo

..................Lawal
.................Okocha

Odemwingie......................Utaka

.............Kanu..........Martins

Other players in that squad:

Mikel Obi
Wilson Oruma
Julius Aghahowa
Christian Obodo
Victor Obinna
Yusuf Ayila
Sani Keita
Obinna Nwanneri
Ayo Makinwa
Paul Obiefule
Austin Ejide
Dele Ayenugba

Note: that was the era when we had a shortage of wingers after the exit of Finidi and Babangida and we converted strikers to wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:57am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Yes,Mikel,Moses,Leon and if he comes out of retirement Enyeama w give anybody run in d starting eleven of France 98

I hope you are not classifying Mikel as a DMF in this current crop?

Mikel of thiz crop is the equivalent of Okocha of the 1998 crop.

Onazi is the current DMF.

Leon vs Okechukwu or Taribo. undecided

Moses, we have been arguing since yesterday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:03am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:

"Yes", meaning you rate Victor Moses ahead of Emmanuel Amuneke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:06am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Did i mention Amuneke

You only mentioned Odegbami and Finidi as the only wingers u rate ahead of Moses. So where do you place Amuneke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:10am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

You only mentioned Odegbami and Finidi as the only wingers u rate ahead of Moses. So where do you place Amuneke?
Am talking about right sided winger
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:11am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Am talking about right sided winger but generally i w rate Amiesemeka and Amuneke ahead of Moses for now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:19am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Firstly Enyeama is gone for good.

Lets even not go as far as the France '98 Team. Lets Compare with the 2006 AFCON Team. With the exception of Mikel (who was part of that Team) and Moses, list players of the current crop that could have made the starting 11 of the 2006 AFCON Team.

In case we are struggling to recall members of that team's starting 11:

................Enyeama

Odiah...Yobo...Enakarhire...Taiwo

..................Lawal
.................Okocha

Odemwingie......................Utaka

.............Kanu..........Martins

Other players in that squad:

Mikel Obi
Wilson Oruma
Julius Aghahowa
Christian Obodo
Victor Obinna
Yusuf Ayila
Sani Keita
Obinna Nwanneri
Ayo Makinwa
Paul Obiefule
Austin Ejide
Dele Ayenugba

Note: that was the era when we had a shortage of wingers after the exit of Finidi and Babangida and we converted strikers to wingers.
Honestly i don't want to compare this current squad coz they are just emerging and i still repeat it only US94 squad can be compared to any strong emerging Super Eagles not Afcon 2006.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:24am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Honestly i don't want to compare this current squad coz they are just emerging and i still repeat it only US94 squad can be compared to any strong emerging Super Eagles not Afcon 2006.

You agree now that they are just emerging. When I said "dey still dey learn" you rolled out names like Mikel, Musa, Moses, Echiejile, Ideye, Omeruo. Are these ones too still emerging?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:25am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

I hope you are not classifying Mikel as a DMF in this current crop?

Mikel of thiz crop is the equivalent of Okocha of the 1998 crop.

Onazi is the current DMF.

Leon vs Okechukwu or Taribo. undecided

Moses, we have been arguing since yesterday.
Leon that i watched against Algeria has every potential to break into d team.Taribo even attested to it after d match,though it may be too early to judge but i always based my point on d last match performance of a player.

It has been long seeing a Nigeria defender coming out to fight for every ball,Leon shows he has every potential to be reckoned with as a defender.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:26am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:

Look at that AFCON 2006 Team again and tell me it is not a relatively strong squad compared to what we have had in the last 10years. Forget they finished 3rd.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

You agree now that they are just emerging. When I said "dey still dey learn" you rolled out names like Mikel, Musa, Moses, Echiejile, Ideye, Omeruo. Are these ones too still emerging?
Don't let us flog issues,d emerging ones are Iheanacho,Iwobi,Ndidi,Simeon Moses,shehu and d likes,presently we,can't rate this guys butMikel,Musa,Moses,Echiejele,Ideye,Omeruo can displace any body in d starting eleven of 2006 afcon coz they are champion of d same tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:35am On Dec 06, 2016
Guys please don't get me wrong.

I am not trying to rubbish the efforts of Rohr and this current team.

I am just making us understand that this team still has a long way to go. They are still not as good as several of the assemblages we've had in the past.

They may just be better than the teams we have presented in the last 3-4 years. If you think or believe they can do the unthinkable at Russia 2018 (if we qualify) well.... undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:36am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Look at that AFCON 2006 Team again and tell me it is not a relatively strong squad compared to what we have had in the last 10years. Forget they finished 3rd.
I don't rate them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:38am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

I am just making us understand that this team still has a long way to go. They are still not as good as several of the assemblages we've had in the past.

They may just be better than the teams we have presented in the last 3-4 years. If you think or believe they can do the unthinkable at Russia 2018 (if we qualify) well.... undecided

Honestly we are on d same point,gives this team time and compare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:39am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Honestly we are on d same point,gives this team time and compare
Time like 2022 WC? wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:47am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Time like 2022 WC? wink
Russia 2018,we gona shake d world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:52am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Moses of October-December 2016.
Moses since 2013 till date.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:43am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

And that's how the Indomie generation added that Samuel Okwaraji died during the match after he scored our only goal. grin

cc: terzurum5
Behold The Newest Comedian of the thread.
We need more signatories to this effect to officially confer on you this title grin

We used to enjoy these myths enh.
The way they were narrated, even the most wicked Mosquito will find it so dificult to distract you.

I learnt Ghana and a host of other Countries have theirs too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:26am On Dec 06, 2016

Iheanacho Set To Start Vs Celtic As Guardiola Rotates City Squad

 5 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Stories

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has promised to make changes ahead of Tuesday's matchday 6 UEFA Champions League clash against Celtic.

This could mean a rare start for Nigeria striker Kelechi Iheanacho.

Sergio Aguero was sent off against Chelsea at the weekend and will face a four-game domestic suspension, meaning he will be unavailable to play again in the Premier League until the game against Liverpool on New Year’s Eve.

Aguero's suspension will also give Iheanacho a run in the side as the Argentine's replacement.

With City guaranteed to finish second in Group C behind Barcelona irrespective of the game against Celtic, Guardiola confirmed he will make a number of changes to his starting lineup.

“There will be changes tomorrow, definitely,” he said in Tuesday's press conference.

“I am so happy to give minutes to people who deserve to play and who did not play in the last games.

“If Sergio is going to play or not, I am going to decide today or tomorrow. I don’t know at the moment.”

Guardiola added: “I like all the players to play. I would like more substitutions, four or five or six, to create a new dynamic.

“If we play one game a week, I would rotate fewer. Always I did rotate and always I will do it.”

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-set-start-vs-celtic-guardiola-rotates-city-squad-manchester-city-manager-pep-guardiola-promised-make-changes-ahead-tuesdays-matchday-6-uefa-champions-league-clash-c/#SQku04B3jIzuQp16.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:27am On Dec 06, 2016

UCL: Iwobi Eyes First Goal; Musa, Iheanacho Set To Start

 6 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Stories

By James Agberebi:

The final round of games in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League takes centre stage with Super Eagles trio of Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho expected to feature for their clubs.

On Tuesday n group A, Arsenal who have already qualified for the next round, must beat Basel in Switzerland and hope leaders Paris Saint-Germain don't beat Ludogorets in France in order to finish ahead of the French champions.

Iwobi who is yet to score for Arsenal this season, has played in all of the Gunners' group games, providing an assist in their 1-1 opening game against PSG.

At the Etihad Stadium, Manchester City will welcome Borussia Monchengladbach in an inconsequential game in gIroup C also on Tuesday.

Win or lose, City are already guaranteed second place behind Barcelona.

In line to start his first match in this season's UEFA Champions League is Nigerian Iheanacho who has played just once for City in this season's campaign.

The 20-year-old came on as a substitute in City's 4-0 home win against Monchengladbach, scoring the fourth goal.

And on Wednesday in Group G, Musa will hope to add to his third appearances for Leicester City who had already qualified for the next round.

Musa started one game and was brought on twice as a substitute in the three games he has played so far played for Leicester.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ucl-iwobi-eyes-first-goal-musa-iheanacho-set-start/#KWd8l8qJ2iHBYhtt.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Iheanacho, Success, Iwobi Make Top 10 EPL U-21 Stars

 1 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Stories

Super Eagles young forwards; Alex Iwobi, Isaac Success and Kelechi Iheanacho were listed in the Whoscored.com's top 10 EPL Under-21 players.

The list was compiled by facts and statistic football site, whoscored.com.

Other exciting Under-21 players who were also listed include: Manchester City's Raheem Sterling, Manchester United's Luke Shaw, Dele Alli of Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal's Hector Bellerin.

According to whoscored.com, Iheanacho has scored 11 league goals from just 17 shots on target since making his debut last season, to return a stunning on-target conversion rate of 64.7% in England’s top tier.

Three goals and three assists this season means Iheanacho has been directly involved in a league goal every 47.8 minutes in the EPL this term.

For Iwobi, despite not starting each of the Gunners’ last two league games, no Arsenal player has registered more league assists (three) this season than the 20 year old.

Watford's Isaac Success who has managed just 188 minutes of top-flight action, has shown glimpses of what he is all about in the handful of games he has featured in.

The 20-year-old has made just one league start for the Hornets, that coming in a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough, but netted a crucial equaliser from the bench in the 2-2 draw with Bournemouth last month.

THE FULL LIST

Isaac Success (Watford)

Alex Iwobi (Arsenal)

Kelechi Iheanacho (Man City)

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerb (Southampton)

Luke Shaw (Manchester United)

Calum Chambers (Middlesbrough)

Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)

Hector Bellerin (Arsenal)

Adama Traore (Middlesbrough)

Raheem Sterling (Man City)

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-success-iwobi-make-top-10-epl-u-21-stars/#lWm2FH0GKcIqiDd9.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Yeah... Yeah... I understand. Exactly why you're not so excited about the rising generation's chances of making global impact.

The France '98 heartbreak is still fresh in your memory. I didn't watch France 98 live, I only read about it and got to watch videos and whole clips of it later.

I did tell you in my last response that indeed even the AFCON winning side of 2013 cannot be compared to or stand the Eagles AFCON squads of 2004 and 2006. Yet, the 2013 side did what those squads didn't... "Conquer Africa" smiley

Our new rising generation is still emerging. I'm not among those trying to compare our present squad with the squads of 1994, 1996 (Atlanta), 1998 (France), 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006.

I'm only saying this present squad can go on and outdo the squads of 2000-2006. The 2013 Squad already did. smiley

And they can also go on to match or even surpass the Glorious Squads of '94, '96 and '98.

I know you've seen it all Sir Icon4s and know what you're talking about. You have every right to be skeptical about our rising crop because of that France 98 super heartbreak..... grin

But I also know what I'm talking about. You gotta try fix that heart of yours again and believe with me... wink

You na arch-guardian of the halls of experience... Me na one of the little guardians of the indomie generation (NOTE: I no follow talk that thing about Okwaraji ooo... Loolll) wink

Truth is we have a looooooooonnnnnnngggg way to go before our current Eagles can match the class of the 2004 and 2006 Squads and take it up to or beyond the class of the '94, '96 and '98 squads.

BOTTOMLINE IS: I see the great and limitless potentials in this team just like you saw with the France '98 team which ended up failing woefully.... BUUUTTTTT A different story is about to be scripted... A story far removed from failure and away from the path of the France '98 squad

I have a dream..... smiley

Icon4s:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:33am On Dec 06, 2016
A first UCL start under Pep for Nacho? Hmmm.... Looking forward to it... smiley

More like prepping him up for the "stand-in" role he has to play yet again in the EPL.

The last time he stood in, he was marvellous. Scored in the manchester derby, Scored against Bournemouth, etc...

Seems Nacho get games when Aguero acts up..... Looollll #JustSaying

BascoVanVeli:

Iheanacho Set To Start Vs Celtic As Guardiola Rotates City Squad

 5 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Stories

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has promised to make changes ahead of Tuesday's matchday 6 UEFA Champions League clash against Celtic.

This could mean a rare start for Nigeria striker Kelechi Iheanacho.

Sergio Aguero was sent off against Chelsea at the weekend and will face a four-game domestic suspension, meaning he will be unavailable to play again in the Premier League until the game against Liverpool on New Year’s Eve.

Aguero's suspension will also give Iheanacho a run in the side as the Argentine's replacement.

With City guaranteed to finish second in Group C behind Barcelona irrespective of the game against Celtic, Guardiola confirmed he will make a number of changes to his starting lineup.

“There will be changes tomorrow, definitely,” he said in Tuesday's press conference.

“I am so happy to give minutes to people who deserve to play and who did not play in the last games.

“If Sergio is going to play or not, I am going to decide today or tomorrow. I don’t know at the moment.”

Guardiola added: “I like all the players to play. I would like more substitutions, four or five or six, to create a new dynamic.

“If we play one game a week, I would rotate fewer. Always I did rotate and always I will do it.”

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-set-start-vs-celtic-guardiola-rotates-city-squad-manchester-city-manager-pep-guardiola-promised-make-changes-ahead-tuesdays-matchday-6-uefa-champions-league-clash-c/#SQku04B3jIzuQp16.99

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Odunayaw(m) and 21 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.