Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,225 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11587950 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:15am On Oct 01, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Mali
Eagles defence has been fixed assures coach Salisu Yusuf

Omeruo back to Eagles

Super Eagles chief coach Salisu Yusuf has said the team have fixed some of their defensive frailties in their last three matches.

The back four has been widely regarded as the Eagles Achilles Heel, but Yusuf said they have worked hard to make that department a lot more solid recently.

“The defence was a worry, but in the last three matches we have played we have only conceded a goal,” he stated on a live television programme Friday.

“We are playing with a lot more discipline back in the defence with players who are playing regularly at their clubs.”

The central defence partnership of Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong will be dislodged for the upcoming World Cup qualifier in Zambia following injury to Balogun.

However, Yusuf said recalled Kenneth Omeruo and Jamiu Alimi will now battle to partner Troost-Ekong in the heart of the defence with last-minute replacement Uche Agbo from Granada CF expected to come around for the experience.

He also revealed that both he and head coach Gernot Rohr have adopted a 4-2-3-1 formation for the Eagles because that is what suits the team with the talent at their disposal now.
africanfootball.com/news/651247/Eagles-defence-has-been-fixed-assures-coach-Salisu-Yusuf

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:19am On Oct 01, 2016
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Zambia
Ogu denies Eagles snub caused by falling out with senior team member

John Ogu vs Chad in Kaduna in June 2015

John Ogu has denied a media report which claimed his continued absence from the Super Eagles is because he fell out with a senior member of the team.

Ogu, who last played for Nigeria in June 2015, when he came on as a second half substitute in Nigeria's 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad, however, said he never fell out with anyone from the Super Eagles.

He said: "I am shocked to have read that. I have never insulted or fallen out with anyone in the national team, I respect everyone from the federation, coaches, players to the backroom staff."

The 28-year-old has also not been considered for the World Cup qualifier against Zambia next month despite having a solid start to the season, continuing from where he left off last term.

But he has maintained he will continue to work hard to keep on improving himself.

"I just want to keep working hard to improve myself as a player," Ogu said.

Ogu was on for 90 minutes for Hapoel Be'er Sheva in a goalless draw with Premier League club Southampton in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night.
By Chris Oguguo
africanfootball.com/news/651194/Ogu-denies-Eagles-snub-caused-by-falling-out-with-senior-team-member

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:24am On Oct 01, 2016
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Southampton
Europa League: Ogu's Israeli champions hold Southampton, Aminu stars

John Ogu (far right) with Israeli champions Hapoel Be'er Sheva

John Ogu’s Israeli club Hapoel Be’er Sheva held Premier League club Southampton to a goalless draw at home with several other Nigeria stars in action in continuation of the group stage of the UEFA Europa League.

Forward and fellow Nigerian Anthony Nwakeme also featured for the entire duration for Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

Umar Aminu came off the bench to assist in Osmanlispor’s second-half equaliser against hosts Zurich.

Compatriot Raheem Lawal played the entire game for the Turkish club.

However, Osmanlispor eventually lost the game 2-1.

Anderson Esiti was a second-half sub as Belgian club Gent stopped Turkish club Konyaspor 2-0 in front of their fans.

Rabiu Ibrahim was an unused sub.
Elderson Echiejile sat out the 1-0 loss at Ajax by Belgian club Standard Liege.

Experienced defender Elderson is on loan from French club Monaco.
africanfootball.com/news/651161/Europa-League-Ogu-s-Israeli-champions-hold-Southampton-Aminu-stars
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:27am On Oct 01, 2016
AF Zambia 2016 CAF Champions League Zanaco
Zambia talk tough: We will beat Nigeria

Emmanuel Mayuka of Zambia against Kenneth Omeruo of Nigeria during the 2013 Orange African Cup of Nations match between Zambia and Nigeria on the 25,January 2013 at Mbombela stadium.

by Samm Audu
Zambia began training for next month’s World Cup qualifier against Nigeria with several players bullish they will get past the Super Eagles in Ndola.

The Chipolopolo welcome the three-time African champions on October 9.

The home-based players have started preparations for the big match while expressing confidence they will win in front of their fans.

Goalkeeper Jacon Banda, whose heroics saw Zesco United reach the semi-final of this year’s CAF Champions League, said with the right preparations Zambia will soar past the Eagles.

“The morale is very high and the team is focused on the Nigeria game,” Banda said.

“It is a very crucial game and I believe we have a team to overcome Nigeria.

“What matters will be our preparations, if we prepared well, then nothing will be difficult for us.”

Zanaco midfielder Roderick Kabwe said team spirit is high and they will be ready for the Nigerian challenge.

“So far, so good we are preparing well for the game against Nigeria. The morale is high and the players are all very focused on the game,” he assured.

“We will be very ready for Nigeria next week.”

He added that the bulk of the squad have worked with coach Wedson Nyirenda and that will go a long way in helping the Chipolopolo get off to a winning start in front of their own fans.

“Some of us have been with the coach from Under-17 and we know him and he knows us, so all we need to do is follow his instructions,” he revealed.

Both countries last clashed in a group match at AFCON 2013 in South Africa, which ended in a goalless draw in Nelspruit.
africanfootball.com/news/651173/Zambia-talk-tough-We-will-beat-Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:32am On Oct 01, 2016
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Nigeria (U20)
Mikel prefers to be second holding player than Chelsea role - Eagles coach

Mikel

by Samm Audu
Mikel Obi prefers to play as a second holding midfielder as against the more defensive position he plays at his Premier League club Chelsea, according to Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf.

“Mikel prefers to play as second holding midfielder and not the more defensive position he plays at Chelsea,” Yusuf revealed on a television interview programme Friday morning.

“We (Eagles coaches) sat down with him to discuss his preferred position and he told us he will rather play as a second holding player like what he did at the Rio Olympics.

“And that was also the position we played him against Tanzania and he played very well.”

Interestingly, Nigeria skipper Mikel played that more offensive role when he started out in his international career with the Flying Eagles at the 2005 FIFA U20 World Cup in the Netherlands.

However, Jose Mourinho converted him to a more defensive midfielder at Chelsea when he joined up the following year from Norwegian club Lyn Oslo.
africanfootball.com/news/651224/Mikel-prefers-to-be-second-holding-player-than-Chelsea-role-Eagles-coach

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:39am On Oct 01, 2016
Europa League Wrap : Emenike Scores; Umar Aminu Bags Assist; Ekpai Debuts; Ideye Fires Blanks; Olomola, Echiejile Benched; Esiti Subbed In

Published: September 29, 2016

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the Europa League on Thursday night.

Injured Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun missed the first of his two games as Mainz 05 registered an impressive 3-2 win over Qabala at Bakcell Arena (Bakı ). Austria international Karim Onisiwo was on the bench for the German outfit.

Raheem Lawal started and played the full game in Osmanlıspor’s 2-1 loss at FC Zurich. Nigeria U23 star Umar Aminu notched an assist in the 73rd minute, six minutes after his introduction.

Hapoel Beer Sheva battled to an impressive goalless draw at home to Southampton, with Nigerian duo John Ogu and Anthony Nwakaeme lasting the distance for the Camels.

Former Arsenal youth-teamer Olufela Olomola, 19 was on the bench for the Saints for the second time in his career.

Over to GHELAMCO-arena , Gent secured a 2-0 win over Konyaspor. While Anderson Esiti was introduced in the 71st minute, fellow Super Eagles midfielder Rabiu Ibrahim was a non-playing sub. Moses Simon was absent for the Belgians.

At Stadion u Nisy (Liberec), Nigeria U23 international Moses Ubong Ekpai made his debut in a European club competition following his introduction in the 46th minute of Slovan Liberec’s 2-1 loss to PAOK in Group J.

Wilfred Ndidi slotted in at midfield from start to finish at Luminus Arena, helping Racing Genk secure a 3-1 win over Italian opponents Sassuolo. He logged 90 minutes.

Ex-Flying Eagles star Kayode Olarenwaju was in action for 86 minutes and fired blanks in Austria Vienna’s goalless draw at home to Czech side Viktoria Plzeň.

Elderson Echiejile was an unused substitute as Standard Liege lost 1-0 to famous Dutch club Ajax Amsterdam at Amsterdam ArenA .

Nosa Igiebor started and put in a 60-minute shift as Maccabi Tel Aviv lost 1-0 to Dundalk in Ireland.

Brown Ideye fired blanks in Olympiakos shock 1-0 loss to APOEL at Stadio Georgios Karaiskák. The former Ukrainian-based frontman lasted the distance.

Across the border in Turkey, Emmanuel Emenike netted what turned out to be the game-winner in Fenerbahce’s 1-0 victory over Eredivisie table toppers Feyenoord. The ex-Nigeria star was in action for 77 minutes before he was replaced.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:40am On Oct 01, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:47am On Oct 01, 2016
Liverpool Teen Star Ejaria Makes U-Turn, Commits To England
Despite stating his willingness to play for Nigeria few years ago, Liverpool red hot teen Ovie Ejaria appears to have committed his international future to England following his recent call up to the England U-20 as exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com last week.

Ejaria has been named in Paul Williams’ 24-man squad for the England U20s’ upcoming clashes with the Netherlands (October 5), Germany (October 7) and the United States (October 10).

Ejaria’s inclusion comes as something of a surprise, given the midfielder’s previous statement of allegiance to Nigeria, shortly after joining Liverpool from Arsenal.

“Though I was born in England, my parents are Nigerians,” the youngster said in 2014, “so I have pledged my international future to Nigeria.”

This is far from a definitive move, however, with Ejaria’s future under contention until he turns out for either the England or Nigeria senior sides.

But omitted from a youthful Nigeria squad for their World Cup qualifier against Zambia next month, despite the inclusion of Premier League youngsters Uche Henry Agbo, Alex Iwobi, Isaac Success and Kelechi Iheanacho, this could prove to be a significant move.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/30/liverpool-teen-star-ejaria-makes-u-turn-commits-to-england/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:47am On Oct 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Next time, leave Ola Aina out so he can concentrate on his English Youth teams.

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Chelsea defender Ola Aina was sounded out about the possibility of represent Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games by emissaries sent by the Nigeria Football Federation.

But the Londoner rejected the Nigerian Federation’s proposal as he is focused on representing the youth teams of his country of birth, England.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19688

Ola Aina is available if if truly we are ready to extend invite to him and we have made that known to coach Siasia directly, ” Team Nigeria UK boss David Doherty told allnigeriasoccer.com.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19632

Sorry, he is available but he wants a serious proposal and not eye service. Besides, his father hopes he plays for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:50am On Oct 01, 2016
Leicester City Ahmed Musa Confesses To Being An Arsenal Fan, Explains Why He Was Spotted In Man. United Jersey

Super Eagles vice captain Ahmed Musa has revealed the reason why he was recently pictured in a Manchester United jersey at his apartment in Jos, Nigeria during a charity function.

“I have a five-a-side pitch at my house in Nigeria, so I always train there, and I didn’t have anything to wear to train, so I decided to wear that Man United shirt, which I got after the Champions League game against United when I was at CSKA Moscow,” he says.

“I didn’t take a shower after training and I went outside to give out food for the less privileged and then I think someone took a picture – I think it is four months old. So it was taken when I was a CSKA Moscow player, not with Leicester. But when I read the story I was laughing because it’s very funny – ‘Why is Ahmed Musa wearing a Man U kit?’”

“I grew up as an Arsenal fan,” he says, smiling. “All because of Nwankwo Kanu.”

“Kanu is like a role model for me,” he says. “I got to know him when I started playing in the national team. He’s like a hero in Nigeria.

We always have contact with each other and I spoke to him before I came to Leicester. I was in Russia and he called me, because he always advises me what to do. He told me that I would enjoy it in the Premier League and England, that it was a nice place.”

He is currently having a sport centre built in Hotoro, where he played for Kano Pillars, the Nigerian Premier League club.

“The people back home have been so nice to me, so I want to give something back to them,” he says.

“When I go back home in the future I can train with the children and feel very happy.”
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/30/leicester-city-ahmed-musa-confesses-to-being-an-arsenal-fan-explains-why-he-was-spotted-in-man-united-jersey/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:54am On Oct 01, 2016
Happy Independence Day all Sport loving Nigerians.

Let us celebrate our own(ALEX IWOBI) by voting him for European Golden Boy Award on this special day.

Enjoy your day folks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:56am On Oct 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Next time, leave Ola Aina out so he can concentrate on his English Youth teams.

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Chelsea defender Ola Aina was sounded out about the possibility of represent Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games by emissaries sent by the Nigeria Football Federation.

But the Londoner rejected the Nigerian Federation’s proposal as he is focused on representing the youth teams of his country of birth, England.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19688

At this stage, Ola Aina is not considering switching his international allegiance from England to Nigeria just like that, and it is has been suggested that he might consider the prospect of turning out for the Super Eagles.

As you can see, your link said he wanna play for Super Eagles. grin dem don know our underage coaches as 'na my brother coach' .... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:23am On Oct 01, 2016
AIG07:
Happy Independence Day all Sport loving Nigerians.

Let us celebrate our own(ALEX IWOBI) by voting him for European Golden Boy Award on this special day.

Enjoy your day folks.
please where is the link
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:24am On Oct 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Next time leave Tosin Adarabioyo out of the list. So he can stay committed to England.

Manchester City starlet Tosin Adarabioyo remains committed to England ahead of Nigeria at international level, having recently snubbed overtures from representatives of the Nigeria Football Federation.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19704

Though I was born in England, my parents are Nigerians. So I have pledged my international future to Nigeria.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-man-utd-target-ovie-ejaria-commits-nigeria-over-england-4020804

Now, explain why he changed his mind to play for England then apply it to Tiago Ilori and Tosin Adarabioyo cases. grin

.http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/30/liverpool-teen-star-ejaria-makes-u-turn-commits-to-england/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:37am On Oct 01, 2016
Eleven Players of Nigerian Descent Receive England Call Ups

Published: September 30, 2016

England U20s Assistant Coach Paul Williams has announced his roster for the upcoming four-nation tournament which will take place in England from October 5-10.

Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria has received his first international call-up at any level for England, putting his commitment to Nigeria in doubt having trained with the Golden Eaglets in 2013.

The former Arsenal starlet wasn’t the only player of Nigerian descent included in the roster, with Chelsea duo Fikayo Tomori and Dominic Solanke, Tottenham Hotspur’s Josh Onomah and Charlton Athletic striker Ademola Lookman also selected.

England U20s will tackle Netherlands, Germany and USA during the tourney.

In the same vein, Fulham exciting midfielder Adetayo Edun has been summoned by England U19s coach for the double-header with Croatia and Bulgaria next month.

Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham and Dominic Iorfa who are both on the radar of the Nigerian Federation have been nominated in England’s U21 squad for the Euro qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Tolaji Bola (Arsenal), Ashinme Kigbu (Manchester City) and Dennis Adeniran (Fulham) were called by England U18 head coach Neil Dewsnip for the friendlies in Scandinavia with Sweden.

Players of Nigerian Descent Called Up By England

England U21 (2): Tammy Abraham ( Bristol City, loan from Chelsea) and Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers).

England U20 (5): Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Ovie Ejaria (Liverpool), Joshua Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur), Dominic Solanke (Chelsea) and Ademola Lookman (Charlton Athletic)

England U19 (1) : Adetayo Edun (Fulham)

England U18 (3) : Tolaji Bola (Arsenal), Ash Kigbu (Manchester City) AND Dennis Adeniran (Fulham)

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:37am On Oct 01, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:43am On Oct 01, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 8:39am On Oct 01, 2016
safarigirl:
pessimism isn't a sexy trait on anyone dear, neither is misogynism

The stats speak for themselves. 20 goals and 10 assists for club and country in about 1500 minutes of play, even the likes of Rooney and Lukaku didn't have those stats at 19
where is d misogyny in my previous comment? Abi ones sex doesn't influence their thinking again. Anyways, lets stick to football

On the golden boy vote, Rashford deserves to be above Kelechi on that list, though he shouldn't be above Iwobi. You see, both Rash and Iwobi are playing important roles for their respective clubs but Kelechi is a bit part player for city. Please stop calling Rashford a fraud, the young man doesn't deserve it because he has been a model of what a young footballer should be. Iheanacho and Iwobi equally have great attitudes so far

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 8:50am On Oct 01, 2016
zicky:
I hate it when I see some guys use this line "you are woman or lady" in a debate. What have that got to do with the topic of discussion, are you saying you are more knowledgeable than all female when it comes to sports.
I didn't claim to be more knowledgeable than her, I only pointed to her how emotions is clouding her judgement which I believe is otherwise ok

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 8:53am On Oct 01, 2016
joseph1013:
C'mon, don't be a sexist. What does being a female has to do with this issue? Do we say TheSuperNerd who is also in the same line of thought with her is also a female?

Fact is that she understands and analyses football more than a lot of males. So what's the fuss?

Let's treat each comment on its own merit, and not go off the tangent by turning to ad hominem statements.
has the world gotten to a point where we can't call a woman what she is- a woman?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:53am On Oct 01, 2016
forgiveness:

At this stage, Ola Aina is not considering switching his international allegiance from England to Nigeria just like that, and it is has been suggested that he might consider the prospect of turning out for the Super Eagles.

As you can see, your link said he wanna play for Super Eagles. grin dem don know our underage coaches as 'na my brother coach' .... grin

The statement in the article is clear. He rejected the proposal to play for us. Finish. Might consider later does not count. Wish Ola Aina the best in his English National Team career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00am On Oct 01, 2016
forgiveness:

Though I was born in England, my parents are Nigerians. So I have pledged my international future to Nigeria.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-man-utd-target-ovie-ejaria-commits-nigeria-over-england-4020804

Now, explain why he changed his mind to play for England then apply it to Tiago Ilori and Tosin Adarabioyo cases. grin

.http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/30/liverpool-teen-star-ejaria-makes-u-turn-commits-to-england/

There is no place in the article that said Ovie Ejaria pledged his international future to England. Misleading headline.

Stop all this Tiago Ilori thing. I followed him from when the Sporting Lisbon coach had problems with the senior players and promoted him.

He was captain of all the Portuguese junior teams he played for and looked a sure bet for the Portuguese national team. It is totally different from Ovie. Ovie Ejaria declared he wants to play for Nigeria before we approached him.

Tiago Ilori declared he wants to play for Portugal before they approached him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:04am On Oct 01, 2016
forgiveness:

Tosin Adarabioyo rejected us. Simple. We approached him early. He is totally different from Ovie Ejaria's case. I have no doubt in my mind that if we give Ovie a Super Eagles call up, he will come. Tosin will not come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There is no place in the article that said Ovie Ejaria pledged his international future to England. Misleading headline.

Stop all this Tiago Ilori thing. I followed him from when the Sporting Lisbon coach had problems with the senior players and promoted him.

He was captain of all the Portuguese junior teams he played for and looked a sure bet for the Portuguese national team. It is totally different from Ovie. Ovie Ejaria declared he wants to play for Nigeria before we approached him.

Tiago Ilori declared he wants to play for Portugal before they approached him.

I agree becos this is what i always say, if the player shows intrest er should pursue him. If we didn't invite Ovie to u17 we would have no chance as of now. We can't expect a player to play for another countries youth team them switch to us, we have to be there from day 1.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23am On Oct 01, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I agree becos this is what i always say, if the player shows intrest er should pursue him. If we didn't invite Ovie to u17 we would have no chance as of now. We can't expect a player to play for another countries youth team them switch to us, we have to be there from day 1.

I think it has to do with where the players heart lies. Ovie Ejaria's heart lies with Nigeria. He showed interest and declared for us. I do not see a U20 call up as anything serious.

What matters is that Rohr should invite him and cap him in the next few games.

Aluko and Moses showed that if a player's heart lies in Nigeria, he will play for us when given the opportunity.

Ovie Ejaria sees himself Nigerian. Whether call up for the U17 or not.

The English National team will not call him soon and we should take the opportunity of capping him before he becomes a big deal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:50am On Oct 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I think it has to do with where the players heart lies. Ovie Ejaria's heart lies with Nigeria. He showed interest and declared for us. I do not see a U20 call up as anything serious.

What matters is that Rohr should invite him and cap him in the next few games.

Aluko and Moses showed that if a player's heart lies in Nigeria, he will play for us when given the opportunity.

Ovie Ejaria sees himself Nigerian. Whether call up for the U17 or not.

The English National team will not call him soon and we should take the opportunity of capping him before he becomes a big deal.

If we didn't give him a chance then who knows, Alaba came asking for that same opportunity but this time Manu Garba actually showed intrest in the lad and has him in high regard. Those small things go a long way. U have to remember that u are dealing with people who have emotions. We can't expect players to run to us we have to meet them halfway. A simple phone call to ensure him off his place with us would do the trick. We don't have to rush him just because. The rush with Iwobi was to get him in the olympics. I say we give him more time with his club so he can stamp out a role on the first team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:59am On Oct 01, 2016
clefstone:
has the world gotten to a point where we can't call a woman what she is- a woman?

You can't say the reason she says 'nonsense', according to you, is because she is a woman. TheSuperNerd and thegoodjoe made the exact same point, why didn't you attack them with the exact statement you made to her?

I can assure you that there are so many males who have said rubbish on this thread. One of them said Mikel is a failure with intense emotions. What do you say to that?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09am On Oct 01, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

If we didn't give him a chance then who knows, Alaba came asking for that same opportunity but this time Manu Garba actually showed intrest in the lad and has him in high regard. Those small things go a long way. U have to remember that u are dealing with people who have emotions. We can't expect players to run to us we have to meet them halfway. A simple phone call to ensure him off his place with us would do the trick. We don't have to rush him just because. The rush with Iwobi was to get him in the olympics. I say we give him more time with his club so he can stamp out a role on the first team.

There is no guarantee. Iwobi played with the Junior teams of England, yet he refused to play for their senior team, despite a personal consultation from England.

It is where the heart lies, not U17 interest.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:13am On Oct 01, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

You guys keep saying rush him. Capping Ovie Ejaria is not rushing him. After capping him, he can take as much time to develop.

He already declared his allegiance to Nigeria. Invite him, cap him and let him keep developing. When an opportunity comes, invite him to play for the Super Eagles. If Klopp feels he is good, he is good. Klopp developed Gotze, Nuri Sahin, Gundogan, Marco Reus etc. He knows a good young talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 11:33am On Oct 01, 2016
joseph1013:

You can't say the reason she says 'nonsense', according to you, is because she is a woman. TheSuperNerd and thegoodjoe made the exact same point, why didn't you attack them with the exact statement.

I can assure you that there are so many males who have said rubbish on this thread. One of them said Mikel is a failure with intense emotions. What do you say to that?
for starters, I never wrote that she says nonsense as u falsely quoted. As a matter of fact, I fancy safarigirl as one of the brightest nairalanders. The only issue I have with her is her feminist and argumentative chatacter which I know is because of her inecperience in life(i was once like that).

On Mikel, I would totally understand it if someone calls Mikel a failure. Yes, he has made a lot of money from football and is living a life many of us can only dream of. But I watched Mikel play in his teenage years and thought he would one day become one of the best midfielders in the world. But do you know what he decided to be? A coward. A mediocre who killed his own talent by deciding to play safe and not explore his own talent. Take a look at Kevin De Bruyne. When Mourinho didn't show faith in him what did he do? He pushed for a transfer to Wolfsburg because he knew he was better than what he was getting at Chelsea. The kid went to Germany, proved himself and today is playing for city and regarded as d best player in the epl.
Mikel was in a De Bruyne situation early in his career and decided to remain there. He will never be a great either for club or country cos he failed to dream, to take a risk.
So yes, mikel is a failure in some ways

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2016
clefstone:
for starters, I never wrote that she says nonsense as u falsely quoted. As a matter of fact, I fancy safarigirl as one of the brightest nairalanders. The only issue I have with her is her feminist and argumentative chatacter which I know is because of her inecperience in life(i was once like that).

On Mikel, I would totally understand it if someone calls Mikel a failure. Yes, he has made a lot of money from football and is living a life many of us can only dream of. But I watched Mikel play in his teenage years and thought he would one day become one of the best midfielders in the world. But do you know what he decided to be? A coward. A mediocre who killed his own talent by deciding to play safe and not explore his own talent. Take a look at Kevin De Bruyne. When Mourinho didn't show faith in him what did he do? He pushed for a transfer to Wolfsburg because he knew he was better than what he was getting at Chelsea. The kid went to Germany, proved himself and today is playing for city and regarded as d best player in the epl.
Mikel was in a De Bruyne situation early in his career and decided to remain there. He will never be a great either for club or country cos he failed to dream, to take a risk.
So yes, mikel is a failure in some ways
I hope you have your flack jacket ready, you don't say this sort of thing about Mikel and go scot-free on this thread smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.