Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,121 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11613610 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1170) (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) ... (16126) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:50am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Well, I understand our fears especially after the SA game. You don't try an UNTESTED player in a position in a big game. It shows we are coming to a landing on that issue as it caused several debates in the past.

Now the issue of Iwobi, if you recall my comment on it. I said I was just pondering on it. The thing is a CM needs to be a very creative player. Etebo is more of a forward direct player that with a very organized defense he cannot link up play with the attackers. Iwobi is more creative than Etebo. The creativity that Mikel brings for instance is what set him apart as an AM or CM for Nigeria even though he is a DM at Club level.

Etebo to me does better as a winger than as an AM or CM.

Now to set the records straight Alex Iwobi started off as a CM in Arsenal. The competition at the Center (Carzola, Wilshire, Ramsey, Arteter) made Wenger to draft him to the wings. Iwobi played as a CM in one of the cup games (I think Capital one cup) last season.

Mikel started off as an AM in his early years but got converted to a DM at Chelsea. But that AM instinct is still there in him.

It is the job of the coaches to understudy high potential players and see how best to utilize their potentials and not just to throw them straight to the bench just like the Iheanacho calls.

The Super Eagles team needs a very creative central midfielder. I hope Kelechi Nwakali too learns the ropes quickly.

cc: Michael2
why not leave Mikel in the CM...because of his defensive qualities and long range passes
and then place iwobi in the AM role
having two creative players in the midfield will be a plus to the team...
that's why I would have want aluko too....he can as well come in as a sub for iwobi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:55am On Jun 26, 2017
Humility017:

why not leave Mikel in the CM...because of his defensive qualities and long range passes
and then place iwobi in the AM role
having two creative players in the midfield will be a plus to the team...
that's why I would have want aluko too....he can as well come in as a sub for iwobi

Looks also OK.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:03am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Well, I understand our fears especially after the SA game. You don't try an UNTESTED player in a position in a big game. It shows we are coming to a landing on that issue as it caused several debates in the past.

Now the issue of Iwobi, if you recall my comment on it. I said I was just pondering on it. The thing is a CM needs to be a very creative player. Etebo is more of a forward direct player that with a very organized defense he cannot link up play with the attackers. Iwobi is more creative than Etebo. The creativity that Mikel brings for instance is what set him apart as an AM or CM for Nigeria even though he is a DM at Club level.

Etebo to me does better as a winger than as an AM or CM.

Now to set the records straight Alex Iwobi started off as a CM in Arsenal. The competition at the Center (Carzola, Wilshire, Ramsey, Arteter) made Wenger to draft him to the wings. Iwobi played as a CM in one of the cup games (I think Capital one cup) last season.

Mikel started off as an AM in his early years but got converted to a DM at Chelsea. But that AM instinct is still there in him.

It is the job of the coaches to understudy high potential players and see how best to utilize their potentials and not just to throw them straight to the bench just like the Iheanacho calls.

The Super Eagles team needs a very creative central midfielder. I hope Kelechi Nwakali too learns the ropes quickly.

cc: Michael2

personally for me, with a good creative AMF I don't think we need a creative CMF at all. Rakitic is obviously not creative, Kroos isn't all that creative himself although you can argue that Modric is also a CMF but generally CMFs don't need to be creative.

but now let's look at a situation where we might probably need a creative CMF, I think thinking outside the box is required here. Nwakali plays more like an AMF so he is out. in that case I think Ajagun is another creative CMF. If you search far and wide, we have zero Nigerians playing the CMF role for their teams bar Ajagun and since nobody wants to invite Ajagun I still think we can make do with what we have. I like being realistic, Rohr no offence is a limited coach so we know his starting eleven will still be his starting eleven. So we have Iwobi, Karo, Mikel, Onazi/Ndidi vying for the DMF, the CMF, the AMF and the LWF. now for Mikel to truly play the AMF well we need another good player playing as the CMF. at the Olympics we saw what happened when Azubuike was suspended, Mikel didn't really make his mark in that game. against Algeria too Etebo was the guy working with him and it made sense. but we are faced with the issue of Iwobi not being a good LWF( or please is it LMF? I don't even know if we are playing 4-3-3 or 4-5-1) so we need Etebo there. instead of trying to make Iwobi play Etebo's role I think he should take up that AMF while Mikel takes the CMF but problem is that Mikel isn't the type of CMF that will Sprint forward to come and join the attack, he has his own pace and that will create a huge workload for. Iwobi so I general Iwobi does not suit the system, however I can bet a 1000pounds with anyone here that Iwobi will start that game come August.

and meanwhile Iwobi started as an AMF literally CMF. the game where he played as the CMF he wasn't great I watched it and to think that it was against a low opposition shows just how good he is there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 8:59am On Jun 26, 2017
Hmmmm......steady following the thread on who should be in our 3man midfield.....but what do y`all think of NDIDI as DMF,JOHN OGU as CMF and MIKEL as AMF. Just love d way Ndidi and Ogu played against senegal cos they covered for themselves real well whenever any of them ventured forward and Ogu is someone who is always looking for a forward pass.i think this will free MIKEL to do his job as our best AMF at d moment.And also,for those who watched cameroon at the confedcup what do you think abt this trio against the ones cameroon featured in d 3 games they played in.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 9:01am On Jun 26, 2017
kennysville:

I will do my best without resorting to disrespect. Trolling me is not the way to go. This is not a case of sports minister. It is a case of a clueless NFF with little ideas as to move the nation's football forward.. I dont remember which era it was, bit i recall there was a season in which U20 played against the U23 and U20 won. And I sure as hell know it was not this pinnick Era. And the idea certainly had nothing to do with the sports ministry then. What I was talking about is all about football development @ grassroot. A well funded team in the NPFL. Funded by the FA, with the best of players, trained by an a world class or at least a coach with depyh and quality.

For the last couple of hundreds of pages , I have seen people talk about harvesting Nigerian born English talents. Truth is if England never groomed them, there wont be anything to harvest. We can call britain all manner of names but in reality, what have we invested that we think we so deserve these players? At best SPERM! We talk about Agbonlahors, Dele Allis, Solankes, Ejarias. But the question really is what have we done?

This is a time to call a spade a spade and not call it agricultural implement. When you run for leadership in a body like NFF, have plans for development. END OF STORY!

when manu garba flying eagles defeat the u-24 team it happened under pinnick
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 9:07am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Yeah. But overall Cameroon does not have good strikers.
forget the way they play at the confederation cup,they face superior opponent but against African opposition like Nigeria it will be a different story
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 9:09am On Jun 26, 2017
do4luv14:

lolzz you don funny, anyway, I wont troll as you said, but you forget that finance is important, I know you know so let me leave it there,

you said the bff is clueless , hmmmmm, I will only said hmmm

on nothing to do with sport minister again I will said hmmmmm, jst hmmmm

not under pi,nick era, did u-20 play against u23, still hmmmmmm
ah go jst hmmm dey o like that,

but I rest my case cool
he was right,it is not the business of the sports minister
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:22am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Looks also OK.
the problem now...is who can communicate or relay these robust strategy and line up to rohr? I wish he can get to know these mysteries..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:24am On Jun 26, 2017
AndreTAyodeji:
Hmmmm......steady following the thread on who should be in our 3man midfield.....but what do y`all think of NDIDI as DMF,JOHN OGU as CMF and MIKEL as AMF. Just love d way Ndidi and Ogu played against senegal cos they covered for themselves real well whenever any of them ventured forward and Ogu is someone who is always looking for a forward pass.i think this will free MIKEL to do his job as our best AMF at d moment.And also,for those who watched cameroon at the confedcup what do you think abt this trio against the ones cameroon featured in d 3 games they played in.

This should be our midfield trio but sentiment will not allow Rohr drop Ogenyi Onazi for Ogu but he should try it out. My fear is our LB and RB pairing cos they'd have a handful from Bassagog. Hopefully Leon can make Ekong be his usual self again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:30am On Jun 26, 2017
Mickael2:

personally for me, with a good creative AMF I don't think we need a creative CMF at all. Rakitic is obviously not creative, Kroos isn't all that creative himself although you can argue that Modric is also a CMF but generally CMFs don't need to be creative.

but now let's look at a situation where we might probably need a creative CMF, I think thinking outside the box is required here. Nwakali plays more like an AMF so he is out. in that case I think Ajagun is another creative CMF. If you search far and wide, we have zero Nigerians playing the CMF role for their teams bar Ajagun and since nobody wants to invite Ajagun I still think we can make do with what we have. I like being realistic, Rohr no offence is a limited coach so we know his starting eleven will still be his starting eleven. So we have Iwobi, Karo, Mikel, Onazi/Ndidi vying for the DMF, the CMF, the AMF and the LWF. now for Mikel to truly play the AMF well we need another good player playing as the CMF. at the Olympics we saw what happened when Azubuike was suspended, Mikel didn't really make his mark in that game. against Algeria too Etebo was the guy working with him and it made sense. but we are faced with the issue of Iwobi not being a good LWF( or please is it LMF? I don't even know if we are playing 4-3-3 or 4-5-1) so we need Etebo there. instead of trying to make Iwobi play Etebo's role I think he should take up that AMF while Mikel takes the CMF but problem is that Mikel isn't the type of CMF that will Sprint forward to come and join the attack, he has his own pace and that will create a huge workload for. Iwobi so I general Iwobi does not suit the system, however I can bet a 1000pounds with anyone here that Iwobi will start that game come August.

and meanwhile Iwobi started as an AMF literally CMF. the game where he played as the CMF he wasn't great I watched it and to think that it was against a low opposition shows just how good he is there
considering the Cameroonians stubborn defense... I will want two creative players ply the midfield....
should aluko be invited that will be just fine...but I don't see that happening....
so iwobi playing the AM role .and Mikel the CM will bring forth passes to unlock the Cameroonians defense....not forget...Mikel good in some long range passes too that will enable our wingers and forward excel....
my only problem wit their combination is that there will likely be dearth of long range shots...when the need arises... considering the fact that both players not really into such kind of play when there is need for it.....that's why aluko is also needed....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:34am On Jun 26, 2017
nelszx:

This should be our midfield trio but sentiment will not allow Rohr drop Ogenyi Onazi for Ogu but he should try it out. My fear is our LB and RB pairing cos they'd have a handful from Bassagog. Hopefully Leon can make Ekong be his usual self again.
bros abeg...though I don't really fancy onazi's game presently.....we need a player...so good in tackles for the DM slot...that's why either of onazi or ndidi ought to play that match.....
Ogu...can later come in for Mikel... not forgetting Mikel is just recuperating from injury so leaving the DM role just for him to handle or pairing him wit a player more offensive minded will over burden him....he needs to be relieved too
moreover we are considering iwobi plying the midfield....too

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:42am On Jun 26, 2017
Humility017:

bros abeg...though I don't really fancy onazi's game presently.....we need a player...so good in tackles for the DM slot...that's why either of onazi or ndidi ought to play that match.....
Ogu...can later come in for Mikel... not forgetting Mikel is just recuperating from injury so leaving the DM role just for him to handle or pairing him wit a player more offensive midfield will over burden him....he needs to be relieved too
moreover we are considering iwobi plying the midfield....too
First Iwobi should sit out that game except he ups his game before the double header but Onazi should sit on the bench for Ogu (my opinion though). If you saw the Senegal game, Ogu's presence displaced the physical Senegalese side and brought calm to our midfield. The understanding with Ndidi in that game allowed both to push while the other sits deep as cover.
Onazi just run around the pitch without anything to show for it. His passes wayward couldn't connect to the attack. He was just a jack of all trade (maybe he can change his game and play like the Onazi we fell in love with in 2013)

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:58am On Jun 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
After the Algeria game? shocked

But You read what Leekens said didn't you? Nacho's off the ball movements and high pressing destabilized the Algerians. When TheGoodJoe was pointing it out, people came for his head saying he has come again with cooked-up theories.

But Leekens and an Algerian Football Journo confirmed it. The coach specifically singled out Nacho as one of the reasons Algeria lost. He didn't score that day and had one shot at goal which he blew over after slightly escaping his marker thanks to Musa's fine low cross. But he did have a say on the scoreline. He constantly drew the Algerian defenders out of positions allowing his attacking team mates to exploit those tiny pockets of space.

And on Martins... my focus is not on the "go lost in some matches"... coz everything I typed there is from my head... man I was 12 mehn...

But also from my head... I know Martins suffered goals drought at the Afcon in 2006.

He only scored a brace against Senegal.

My point was based on Martins at the Afcon on the back of his super clinicality in front of goal which was undisputably spectacular.

First game vs Ghana... he fired blanks.

Second game vs Zimbabwe.... he fired blanks again.

Third game vs Senegal..... he scored a beautiful brace on Mikel's first Afcon start for Nigeria. Mikel was the architect of the two goals. Gave an assist and gave the pass before Kanu's assist found Martins.

Fourth game vs Tunisia... Martins again fired blanks

Fifth game vs CIV.... he fired blanks again...

Lemme stop here. What am I trying to say?

Trust/Faith in Martins' undoubted quality was rewarded in that Senegal game. But he still went four games without a goal.

Is that undesirable?? or desirable??

We both know according to your logic... it is not desirable.

So give Nacho a break. He have had just Two competitive games as the CF/No.9/Top striker.....

Besides, he is still the best for that role right now. He can play the SS and AM roles but right now, we have the AM covered with Mikel there and need our best finisher up top... this is where Nacho trumps all others.

Martins of today has big experience... but truth is... he is way past his prime.

Is he needed in the team? Maybe... but not as our top striking option.

I remember when Emenike was injured after the Afcon and Nigeria went to the Confed Cup without him.... it was Martins that was invited to take Emenike's place for the World cup qualifiers against Kenya in Nigeria.

This was weeks after the 2013 Confed cup. You remember that game? Or was it before the Confed cup? I am not sure for now... but I know it was after the Afcon glory and Emenike was injured.

Martins was a shadow of himself... and went lost in that game.

The game ended 1-1... Kenya scored first thru a wonderful freekick before we grabbed a late equaliser.

Keshi found it hard calling back Martins.

Oliseh called up Martins... and Did martins deliver? Nope. Same match saw Nacho's debut as a sub. It was against Swaziland. Martins was also subbed in.

Martins went blank in recent games for Nigeria. And you think he will suddenly come back and rip the Camerounian net to shreds??

Think again Sir Forgiveness.

Iheanacho is ahead of Martins right now... way way ahead.

#Fact... over and out.

It is very desirable to reward a player who scored 8 goals in 6 matches in the qualifiers as a CF prior to a major tournament.

Martins records as CF was desirable before the competition.

Single handedly scored solo, acrobatic and header goals which are the features of a CF.

Is Iheanacho doing the same as a CF?

I remember Martins wasn't invited for some of those matches we lost during qualifiers which generated criticism by the Nigerian fans to draft him back to the team and restore him back as a CF. What happened? He delivered wella...

How many Nigerian fan is calling for the head of the coach to play Iheanacho as the CF?

The selective selection cost us the 2006 FIFA world cup. Same thing we are witnessing every day in the National team.

I told you Martins just came back from long holiday from active Football due to injury. He didn't play active football for almost a month or two thereabout yet he was restored to the first team as a CF.

It was very glaring that Martins wasn't fit for that tournament. Please, go do your research.

This is totally a different scenario from what is currently happening.

Besides, how can you say he is way past his prime when he's still banging in goals left right and center?

We know Keshi never wanted Martins in the team in the first place.

He gave him one or two chances after which he kicked him out of the team.

Going by your logic that Martins was a shadow of himself and got lost in just one match against Kenya, are you not suppose to suggest that Rohr should find it hard to invite Iheanacho to National team since he was not only lost in one match but was again and again lost and a shadow of himself in the 2nd most important match as a CF? grin Think am na? grin

You said Iheanacho was one of the single reason Nigeria won the match against Algeria but you hid the truth to have told us that Martins was also ver influential in the match against Swaziland when came in the 75th minute of the match to influence the second goal. Na wa ooooooo!

Why is different parameters used when analyzing them?

In the second leg match against Swaziland Martins came in the 75th minute for Mikel Obi, this time around, it was not as a CF. shocked grin He was played as a CMF. shocked grin

That was when I knew Oliseh no bi am.

You see how you are doing the same thing you accused me of? Half baked truth. Abi how you take talk am self?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:
Please has anyone seen tbaba1234 anywhere on nairaland lately?
he is enjoying the sallah with family
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:05am On Jun 26, 2017
nelszx:

First Iwobi should sit out that game except he ups his game before the double header but Onazi should sit on the bench for Ogu (my opinion though). If you saw the Senegal game, Ogu's presence displaced the physical Senegalese side and brought calm to our midfield. The understanding with Ndidi in that game allowed both to push while the other sits deep as cover.
Onazi just run around the pitch without anything to show for it. His passes wayward couldn't connect to the attack. He was just a jack of all trade (maybe he can change his game and play like the Onazi we fell in love with in 2013)

Ogu is not a DMF. He is naturally an attacking midfielder who is also very good at CMF.

Playing Ogu as a DMF is suicidal. Playing Ogu as a CMF or AMF, you go see American wonder.

Most our coaches seem to be very ignorant about the best position for some players. Maybe dey just wan accommodate dem players in the team hence the conversation of players upandan in the National team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:10am On Jun 26, 2017
People dey mention Algeria, oga forgiveness dey mention Swaziland, abeg Swaziland get football team?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 10:23am On Jun 26, 2017
nelszx:

Spot on Bro......Onazi should sit on the bench for Ndidi in that game for the DMF role while Ogu comes in @ the CMF position.I believe we will see american wonders as sir forgiveness said. lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:26am On Jun 26, 2017
junnyjake:
Is iheanacho replaceable? Yes, as a matter of fact, very well. Therefore he shouldn't be swept in the illusion that he's arrived.

I was disgusted by his conduct while he was substituted during the last game. Strolling off the pitch as if your team is 3 goals up meanwhile, you're a goal down and you had little or no impact in the game.

I'd really respect Rohr if he relegates him to the bench against Cameroon.

Of course, no player in the National team is not indispensable if they don't perform in their various clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:38am On Jun 26, 2017
Petrobros:

Why are you like this?

Someone is trying to say something reasonable you are just spewing trash here.

If they say you should make contribution now na only Ajagun you go fit talk.

If you don't have anything more to contribute to this thread just log off and join the #teamghostmode#

icon4s has just raised a valid point here.
Etebo is not creative enough to be our CM or AM in the long run

Several players play different roles in club and country.

Though I am not of the opinion we play Iwobi as a CM against Cameroon but it is something the technical crew can look into to experiment with in a less competitive game.

Where were you when I first emphasized the @bolded which generated argument here?

Iwobi is not a CMF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:45am On Jun 26, 2017
Petrobros:

You guys that have patience for his trash get time. He is getting of hand on this thread.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions. So I have just aired mine.

I should be the one who has been patient for receiving trash here not you.

I am just trying to vomit the trash I have received so far but you are here complaining.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:55am On Jun 26, 2017
AndreTAyodeji:
Spot on Bro......Onazi should sit on the bench for Ndidi in that game for the DMF role while Ogu comes in @ the CMF position.I believe we will see american wonders as sir forgiveness said. lol

Onazi is naturally an attacking midfielder or CMF but he was converted to a DMF. That should tell alot about him.

However, I don't have problem with Ndidi replacing Onazi at the DMF position but Ndidi must guarantee he sticks to that role strictly without trying to impress.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:56am On Jun 26, 2017
Humility017:

considering the Cameroonians stubborn defense... I will want two creative players ply the midfield....
should aluko be invited that will be just fine...but I don't see that happening....
so iwobi playing the AM role .and Mikel the CM will bring forth passes to unlock the Cameroonians defense....not forget...Mikel good in some long range passes too that will enable our wingers and forward excel....
my only problem wit their combination is that there will likely be dearth of long range shots...when the need arises... considering the fact that both players not really into such kind of play when there is need for it.....that's why aluko is also needed....

another problem is that we will have vacant spaces in the middle, if Mikel drops deep there will be a lot of empty spaces in the middle and Iwobi does not have the engine to cover that at all

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:58am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Onazi is naturally an attacking midfielder or CMF but he was converted to a DMF. That should tell alot about him.

However, I don't have problem with Ndidi replacing Onazi at the DMF position but Ndidi must guarantee he sticks to that role strictly without trying to impress.

against Senegal he did just that so there is no reason why he can't do it again

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2017
Mickael2:

against Senegal he did just that so there is no reason why he can't do it again

I see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 11:36am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

I think it is onazi that we should be telling to stick to his role if he starts in the game and not ndidi,Ndidi played that role well for his team last season which earned him comparison with kante,viera nd yaya toure, Also part of d reasons i chose ndidi ahead onazi is reading of the game,long legs for interception,long range goals,good passing accuracy,aerial prowess e.t.c

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:05pm On Jun 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Reports – Leicester City In Portugal For Talks With CD Feirense Over Oghenekaro Etebo

According to reports sourced by Owngoalnigeria.com editorial team English Premier League side Leicester City have sent their representative to Portugal to thrash out a deal for Nigerian star Oghenekaro Etebo.

Futbol Gastesi in a post on their official twitter handle says the CD Feirense star is a prime target for Leicester City and Turkish side Fenerbahce who are both looking to strengthen their team in this window.

While Etebo is more inclined to moving to Leicester City, the report has it that Fenerbahce have not given up yet on his chase, as they are also in Portugal to convince Feirense to do a deal.

Feirense are opened to the idea of letting the forward leave but their terms and valuation of the man who joined them 18 months ago must be met by interested parties.

A price tag of around 20 million euros has been placed on him by the team, but it is believed he will be allowed to leave for a fee in the region of 10 million euros plus add ons.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/25/reports-leicester-city-in-portugal-for-talks-with-cd-feirense-over-oghenekaro-etebo/

I just dey observe cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:58pm On Jun 26, 2017
I too am beginning to feel his absence... I hope all is well with him.

Sir Tbaba... please do take good care Sir. Wherever you are.

Icon4s:
Please has anyone seen tbaba1234 anywhere on nairaland lately?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:06pm On Jun 26, 2017
Mickael2:

another problem is that we will have vacant spaces in the middle, if Mikel drops deep there will be a lot of empty spaces in the middle and Iwobi does not have the engine to cover that at all
gbam
i think we need one creative player in the middle, we need the other two to be able to recorver possesion because iwobi will not perform well if we don't see much of the ball
onazi etebo mikel OR
indidi ogu mikel
will do for me
i don't want indidi and onazi to play together one of them have to sit on the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2017
The parameters used to analyse is based on their output for clubs. Martins was at one time during his Inter Milan days in 2004 the deadliest forward in Europe based on His Clinical goals per mins ratio.

Iheanacho is having similar story....

Based on these... both in their eras are the most lethal finishers and attackers we have up top....

Now the stage is set for Iheanacho... not martins. Tu comprends?

You keep mentioning his 8goals in qualifiers.... I told you I am focused on the Afcon drama.

He went four competitive games without a goal... and you talk about desirable for him and undesirable for Nacho. Double standards my Friend. smiley

I explained it all already. Ensure to re-look at the angles I came from.

And finally....

@first bolded.... Keshi didn't kick him out... martins kicked himself out with an outrageously poor performance. We didn't even win with him on the field with most of our star players on display that same day against Kenya. Martins flunked big time.

But with Iheanacho against Algeria, we won... with most of our star players also on display that day. No excuses... and Iheanacho influenced the scoreline and The Algerians sang it in out ears audibly. You wanna turn deaf to that, that is your problem, not mine.wink

@second bolded..... You know why I smile most times when I engage you... it is because you will always find a way of shooting yourself in the legs.... wink

Martins came in as a sub as I said in my other post but truth is he did nothing special... it was Swaziland... and That games ended Goalless.

So now I ask..... what info am I hiding about Martins' performance that day? You say he was influential and bla bla bla and had a good hand in the team's second goal?? Like seriously?? In a game that ended 0-0?? shocked

Sir Forgiveness... stop lying naa... you wanna pin half-truths on me now but ended up opening your yansh the more... so now yours is no more half truths... but now a full lie... loolll

Look... that game ended 0-0... goalless! no goals scored! Tu comprends? Martins came on (for Mikel I think) and did nothing special... dropping deep and doing nothing... even Iheanacho did nothing too when he came on... his debut as a sub was one to forget. He didn't even see much of the ball... hahaha...

I recall that game so well Man...

The game we won 2-0 was the second leg.... and Martins did not play... so how did he influence that game too? In the Spirit??
Even Mikel did not play.... it was Paul Onobi. remember?

Bottomline is... Martins doing his thing in China cannot be compared to A lad doing his thing in top fashion in the world's toughest league.

Just like how Martins was taken over Aghahowa back then in 2004,2005, 2006... and more...

Time has moved on... so you should move on too... we have a new deadliest CF now...

His name is Kelechi Iheanacho... and For now... just for now.. he is the best we have. The team is evolving but right now... Kelechi leads.

forgiveness:

It is very desirable to reward a player who scored 8 goals in 6 matches in the qualifiers as a CF prior to a major tournament.

Martins records as CF was desirable before the competition.

Single handedly scored solo, acrobatic and header goals which are the features of a CF.

Is Iheanacho doing the same as a CF?

I remember Martins wasn't invited for some of those matches we lost during qualifiers which generated criticism by the Nigerian fans to draft him back to the team and restore him back as a CF. What happened? He delivered wella...

How many Nigerian fan is calling for the head of the coach to play Iheanacho as the CF?

The selective selection cost us the 2006 FIFA world cup. Same thing we are witnessing every day in the National team.

I told you Martins just came back from long holiday from active Football due to injury. He didn't play active football for almost a month or two thereabout yet he was restored to the first team as a CF.

It was very glaring that Martins wasn't fit for that tournament. Please, go do your research.

This is totally a different scenario from what is currently happening.

Besides, how can you say he is way past his prime when he's still banging in goals left right and center?

We know Keshi never wanted Martins in the team in the first place.

He gave him one or two chances after which he kicked him out of the team.

Going by your logic that Martins was a shadow of himself and got lost in just one match against Kenya, are you not suppose to suggest that Rohr should find it hard to invite Iheanacho to National team since he was not only lost in one match but was again and again lost and a shadow of himself in the 2nd most important match as a CF? grin Think am na? grin

You said Iheanacho was one of the single reason Nigeria won the match against Algeria but you hid the truth to have told us that Martins was also ver influential in the match against Swaziland when came in the 75th minute of the match to influence the second goal. Na wa ooooooo!

Why is different parameters used when analyzing them?

In the second leg match against Swaziland Martins came in the 75th minute for Mikel Obi, this time around, it was not as a CF. shocked grin He was played as a CMF. shocked grin

That was when I knew Oliseh no bi am.

You see how you are doing the same thing you accused me of? Half baked truth. Abi how you take talk am self?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2017

Mikel to return in two weeks
by Sammy Wejinya

Super Eagles captain John Mikel Obi is expected to return to action for Chinese club Tianjin Teda in two weeks’ time.

Mikel has been sidelined with an abdominal strain which has kept him out of active competition for over two months.

The Nigerian international’s last appearance for Tianjin Teda was on 2 April when he helped the club win 2-0 in a Chinese Super League game against Chongquin Dangdai Lifan at Tianjin Tuanbo Soccer Stadium.

Mikel scored in the win for Tianjin Teda, the club’s first of the season.

Tianjin Teda have struggled in Mikel’s absence, winning just three of their last 13 matches in all competitions.

The club has now announced that Mikel is expected back in action in the next two weeks.

Mikel, following this development, is now firmly in the frame for Nigeria’s 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier against Cameroon on 28 August.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170626/Mikel_to_return_in_two_weeks

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:38pm On Jun 26, 2017
I dont know if yall have noticed, but Etebor as a 10 forgets his duties. He never passes when he is in space. Watch all his games whenever he is in the 18 yard box, he prefers to go solo. There is something called teamwork. I am of the philosophy that it doesnt matter who scores so long as its for the good of the team. But all I see Etebor do is chase after personal glory. We need a proper 10 in the absence of Mikel. If iwobi is not as creative as he should be or is being touted to be, then we need to start shopping for a proper 10!

Playing Etebor because he is energetic will not do us any good. There has to be a better position for him. But not as a 10. We need to as a matter of urgency start shopping for that position. Skilful 10s are needed asap! Not pacy 10s ( All pace and no brains)

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:40pm On Jun 26, 2017
The Eagles Hoping To Beat Leicester City, West Ham To Kelechi Iheanacho Signature

Crystal Palace are still interested in signing Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho in the summer transfer window.

The Mirror has reported that The Eagles higher-ups are ready to back incoming boss Frank De Boer with a move for Man City striker Kelechi Iheanacho.

The Citizens are looking to sell the promising striker for a minimum of 20 million pounds, with a buy-back clause inserted into the deal.

Kelechi Iheanacho, who has been told he's not in the plans of manager Pep Guardiola for the new season, is also linked with Leicester City and West Ham.

Africa's Most Promising Talent of 2016 still has a contract with Man City until the summer of 2021.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23541

(1) (2) (3) ... (1170) (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) ... (16126) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), kellycute(m), do4luv14(m), lbrichman2 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.