Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12914) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11599832 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12911) (12912) (12913) (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) ... (16122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 12:49am On Mar 26, 2022
On Tuesday, Eqguavoen should start Aribo, Etebo, and Onyeka in the midfield, and start Osimhen, Lookman, and Dennis in the attack.

I don’t want to see that first half EYESORE again!!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:50am On Mar 26, 2022
See Ghanaians jubilating online cus they got a draw at home? This pple no get shame I swear cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:00am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
Is there anything a local coach does that's not amateurish? Can they ever do anything right? Even Keshi was amateurish too, even though he actually won. I am still waiting for a coach that would do better than that man.

Please, dem say Rohr better pass am
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:12am On Mar 26, 2022
Austin's stubbornness to stick with Nacho in that role might cost us the world cup.
This is not club football, it is international football for Christ's sake.

Your midfielders must be able to fight for every damn ball.

Etebo, Bonke/Onyeka, and Aribo should be the ones starting in that midfield triangle.

Two DMs will allow your wing backs to overlap to support your wingers without affecting the shape of the team. Football 101.

Trying to play like Pep was what cost Lampard the Chelsea job. One DM is a risky venture unless you have a great ball carrier like Kevin De Bruyne.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:15am On Mar 26, 2022
!
benji93:
Is there anything a local coach does that's not amateurish? Can they ever do anything right? Even Keshi was amateurish too, even though he actually won. I am still waiting for a coach that would do better than that man.
You are on point!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 1:21am On Mar 26, 2022
Ofcourse we are anywhere bele face analysts. You have mentioned that here several times, haven't you? The first thing that should go into the greatness of a coach is winning. Tactics, whether crude, modern, amateurish, archaic are secondary, and we are all usually divided over such. We may never agree on philosophy. I like this philosophy, you like that. One thing that's definitive is winning. So if a man wins and someone says a winless coach is greater, that person you cannot help.
safarigirl:

Please, dem say Rohr better pass am

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 1:30am On Mar 26, 2022
fabyom:
Austin's stubbornness to stick with Nacho in that role might cost us the world cup.
This is not club football, it is international football for Christ's sake.

Your midfielders must be able to fight for every damn ball.

Etebo, Bonke/Onyeka, and Aribo should be the ones starting in that midfield triangle.

Two DMs will allow your wing backs to overlap to support your wingers without affecting the shape of the team. Football 101.

Trying to play like Pep was what cost Lampard the Chelsea job. One DM is a risky venture unless you have a great ball carrier like Kevin De Bruyne.

I bet you Austin will repeat his mistakes on Tuesday. We have a coaching problem.
He should try and invite natural midfieldets to the team but after this qualifiers he won't. Maybe it is a spiritual problem. Our coaches love ignoring out midfield

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:32am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
Ofcourse we are anywhere bele face analysts. You have mentioned that here several times, haven't you? The first thing that should go into the greatness of a coach is winning. Tactics, whether crude, modern, amateurish, archaic are secondary, and we are all usually divided over such. We may never agree on philosophy. I like this philosophy, you like that. One thing that's definitive is winning. So if a man wins and someone says a winless coach is greater, that person you cannot help.

Rohr won games sha.

No trophies, but he won games, and on that basis, there is an argument he is better than Keshi. Funny stuff still
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 1:36am On Mar 26, 2022
We have all the needed tools on that bench! Give me this team, and I might win the world cup! I am not kidding. There are many ways to set up this team but he selected the one that every Goddamn human knows its antidote. Who does that?
Philosopher1979:

I bet you Austin will repeat his mistakes on Tuesday. We have a coaching problem.
He should try and invite natural midfieldets to the team but after this qualifiers he won't. Maybe it is a spiritual problem. Our coaches love ignoring out midfield

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 1:48am On Mar 26, 2022
Stick to your standard of passing. According to your standard of passing they didn't, because the passing didn't continue for long before they lost it. Not good. I am not sure I can follow a fruitless possessive play. Besides, they outnumbered us in the midfield through the first half, so it wasn't unexpected that they did better to keep the ball in the midfield. Besides our players actually were better and more confident with their passing through the midfield and then to the flanks when Eguaveon changed the midfield shape. So on be say we too no dey pass. Unfortunately, your expectations are rather too high.

You say they should teach them the basics of this philosophy? How often does this team meet? They mostly play for their respective clubs which have their own philosophies. So that for these philosophies their reaction becomes instinctual. It won't be easy ramming a different philosophy into them in a week. You may practice within this new philosophy, in fact, you may even do well in training, as far as that philosophy is concerned, but if you are not constantly exposed to that philosophy over a long period of time, you would almost certainly get stuck in your practice of that philosophy. You pass pass pass, then an opposing strategy you probably have faced sets in, and you just crawl back, as in oh wait 'Out training did not cover this one.

It's easy to implement on paper, but incredibly hard in practice. But you know what, I know the passing philosophy to you is the most valuable and it's ok. cheesy

But I agree with that part though. We do make excuses. Then maybe you can accept that your expectations may be too high sometimes. cheesy. Can we agree on that?
TheGoodJoe:

The Ghanaian team was more versed in the possessive play, especially in the first half and Addo spent days with them. This is not rocket science, or you must have David Silva or Bernardo Silva in your team.

You train the team in the basics of the philosophy. Then keep building in the understanding of it. We have seen teams like Swansea and some other small teams in England adopt it.

We have teams all over the world adopting it.

Even the Ghanaian team played it to an okay level.

We should stop the excuses and start developing our ideas in the passing game and make just philosophical adjustments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:52am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
I don't get you people. Some of you here think club football and National team football are the same, so you think things that work in club football automatically work in national team football. The plan of the Ghanaian team was to apply maximum pressure in the first 20/30 minutes or so and perhaps get a goal. You can see they faded out through the last 15 minutes or so. Nigeria has not played Ghana in a long time, and nobody really knows the strategy of the other coach per sey. He assumes the other coach will feature something so he tries to plan for it, in which case in some cases you will plan and still lose. Is Eguaveon a mind reader to know what the other coach is thinking about his plan, and so does something else? If we had lost then perhaps this craze would be warranted. Now, if he cannot properly strategize, now that he has more information, tried different midfield systems, then well calling for his head would be the way to go.

By the way, some were going crazy here about the 4 2 4 formation. We will concede so many goals, we will concede goals. Although they dominated the midfield and stifled our midfield system at least for the first 30 minutes, they were toothless. Then he took Aribo out(even though i would have preferred that he kept him in, as we were doing well in the last 15 minutes, and Aribo was almost always in the thick of it, but i understand) to increase the numbers in the midfield, then the midfield looked much better.
Leave them chewing gum, whining analyst crying like hungry puppies. As if Nigeria should just walk into Ghana, knock the ball around and score at every turn while Ghana stands clueless in awe of our start studded team.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 1:58am On Mar 26, 2022
You obviously know what I meant by winning. Is there any local coach that hasn't won any games? If you give a coach more than 1 year, of course, he will accumulate some wins. And the third place he's won, our local coaches have sampled it, even the worst of them. cheesy. Do you know how many third and second-place finishes we have had? 12. Even there was a time we placed third back to back to back. So i am not sure we can consider that a standard for winning.

But i want to ask you one question though. What do you think of Uzoho? Any confident? I did not say anything oooo. cheesy
safarigirl:

Rohr won games sha.

No trophies, but he won games, and on that basis, there is an argument he is better than Keshi. Funny stuff still

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:02am On Mar 26, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

4-4-2 is not the problem but our playing style. We are really suffering from poor buildup plays.

4-4-2 is somehow the problem, because we have coaches who don't understand it.

We either don't invite the right players for it, or we don't start them, but most importantly, we don't have the luxury of players for it

Ndidi is not creative, neither is Aribo.

We play wingers who are more interested in scoring than help in buildup plays. They simply are not midfielders. Whenever i see Iwobi, Onayinka on the bench, and players like Moses and Chukwueze starting ahead of them in our preferred lineup of 4-4-2 , i see coaches who are bent on ideologies they don't even understand.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:03am On Mar 26, 2022
Arsenal,Spurs and Dortmund interested in ex super eagles defender’s nephew Lesley ugochukwu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:10am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
Great, unfortunately, they are average. So their passing would still suck. Philosophies are nice and indicate you know what you are doing, but they are useless anyway. Your philosophy is only as good as your players.

Whose passing will suck, they are not poor in passing, they are not even close to it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:18am On Mar 26, 2022
grin grin grin. Now, a spiritual problem needs a spiritual solution. For that one, no amount of typing will help.
Instead of telling us he should invite natural midfielders, just tell us the players you want him to invite. Tell us. cheesy
Philosopher1979:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:23am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
You obviously know what I meant by winning. Is there any local coach that hasn't won any games? If you give a coach more than 1 year, of course, he will accumulate some wins. And the third place he's won, our local coaches have sampled it, even the worst of them. cheesy. Do you know how many third and second-place finishes we have had? 12. Even there was a time we placed third back to back to back. So i am not sure we can consider that a standard for winning.

But i want to ask you one question though. What do you think of Uzoho? Any confident? I did not say anything oooo. cheesy

Thanks for this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 3:02am On Mar 26, 2022
benji93:
Stick to your standard of passing. According to your standard of passing they didn't, because the passing didn't continue for long before they lost it. Not good. I am not sure I can follow a fruitless possessive play. Besides, they outnumbered us in the midfield through the first half, so it wasn't unexpected that they did better to keep the ball in the midfield. Besides our players actually were better and more confident with their passing through the midfield and then to the flanks when Eguaveon changed the midfield shape. So on be say we too no dey pass. Unfortunately, your expectations are rather too high.

You say they should teach them the basics of this philosophy? How often does this team meet? They mostly play for their respective clubs which have their own philosophies. So that for these philosophies their reaction becomes instinctual. It won't be easy ramming a different philosophy into them in a week. You may practice within this new philosophy, in fact, you may even do well in training, as far as that philosophy is concerned, but if you are not constantly exposed to that philosophy over a long period of time, you would almost certainly get stuck in your practice of that philosophy. You pass pass pass, then an opposing strategy you probably have faced sets in, and you just crawl back, as in oh wait 'Out training did not cover this one.

It's easy to implement on paper, but incredibly hard in practice. But you know what, I know the passing philosophy to you is the most valuable and it's ok. cheesy

But I agree with that part though. We do make excuses. Then maybe you can accept that your expectations may be too high sometimes. cheesy. Can we agree on that?
Spot on!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:33am On Mar 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
No more away goal
only in Uefa, fifa/Caf is still using it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:35am On Mar 26, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Abeg you people should cut down on Eguavoen. We didn't score because our attackers were a bit loose and not very physical. We lost a couple of chances sue to this.

However, the Ghana team are not dangerous in front. Once our defence does not make stupid mistakes, we will not concede. The issue is to score like two without wasting time.
as in!!! Yea Eguavoen deserves some flak for the performance but the high level of criticism is very very unnecessary
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:38am On Mar 26, 2022
charlesemeka85:
we got a point in a hostile situation still una no Dey satisfied

If em easy to score wetin mk Ghana no score?

Tufiakwa!
pre-match: everybody was saying tactics won’t matter but who wants it the most but after the game we suddenly realize the coach wasn’t tactical

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:39am On Mar 26, 2022
Icon79:
Like I posted on Twitter, the Super Eagles would have won the game if the team that ended the game had started. That tells you how clueless Eguaveon is, he doesn’t even know his best team yet.

O pari

because this is just his 5th game as the coach. In club football some coaches spend almost half a season trying to figure out their best team. Y’all should easy on the harsh words
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:41am On Mar 26, 2022
Icon4s:
After all the talk about Bassey.
He was just running like a headless chicken.
He is no where close to Sanusi in terms of ability.
too early to judge, not sure he even got 15min
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:43am On Mar 26, 2022
Meliforme:

I think the bottom line is that Nigeria failed to beat Ghana. The weakest Ghanaian team i have seen in a while. This Ghanaian team has a lot of weaknesses, but our coach can't see it to exploit.
in 2000 we went to Kumasi with them Kanu and the likes where we struggled to beat a Ghana team filled with Heart of oaks players. You people should take a chill pill.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 5:14am On Mar 26, 2022
Unpopular opinion: Chuks has Amunike's nudes from U17 grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Rockyrascal(m): 5:42am On Mar 26, 2022
I wasn't sad we played a draw after all odds were against Ghana to lose. I was sad because Ghana forced us to play shitty football

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cheche35: 5:48am On Mar 26, 2022
I see many people criticising Iheanacho here, the only chance of the game was created by Iheanacho. Same at the AFCON, He scored a goal vs Egypt and also created an assist. Iheanacho may not be very fast in the eyes, but he is very effective. If any player will create a goal out of nothing it is Iheanacho. There is a reason SiaSia, Rhor and now AE all played him. My advice is for the coach to played him instead of Chukwueze, let him be drifting to the SS role while the RB provide the width. Then find a way to compensate for the RB.
But you can not afford to not play your most dangerous and clinical player

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 5:51am On Mar 26, 2022
If we are going to win the return leg, Simon Simon has to start from the bench while Ademola Lookman start. AFCON performance has really got into Moses Simon's head and got him misbehaving.
Even Chukwueze needs to start from the bench and Iheanacho will cover for his position.

Our frontly should be Ademola Lookman, Osihmen, Dennis, Iheanacho.

Midfield Aribo, Onyeka

Defence: Basset, Balogun, Ekong, Aina

Uzoho still start in the goal and should always start ahead of Maduka. He looks more composed and confident.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:07am On Mar 26, 2022
Meliforme:

4-4-2 is somehow the problem, because we have coaches who don't understand it.

We either don't invite the right players for it, or we don't start them, but most importantly, we don't have the luxury of players for it

Ndidi is not creative, neither is Aribo.

We play wingers who are more interested in scoring than help in buildup plays. They simply are not midfielders. Whenever i see Iwobi, Onayinka on the bench, and players like Moses and Chukwueze starting ahead of them in our preferred lineup of 4-4-2 , i see coaches who are bent on ideologies they don't even understand.

So 4-4-2 is not the problem but it being implemented the wrong way by the manager. There is no guarantee they will get the right tactical balance if they switch to a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 or 3-5-2.

As from my perspective, we are getting the basics of the modern game wrong.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:15am On Mar 26, 2022
ADDO IMPRESSES

We had heard stories of how intelligent Addo is. The Borussia Dortmund coach has a history of showing his tactical acumen but yesterday we saw it demonstrated.

Smart Build Up Plays
His team kept the ball in a brilliant fashion from the back and he kept the players compact during the build up. Time and Time again, they worked their way brilliantly from the back.

Sound Possession Play
The follow up of the build up phase was based on sound possession principles. It was nice watching the young Ghanaian team deliver it soundly.

High Press
We expected Addo to come with some of the Dortmund philosophy and the high press was one of it. When you think of Klopp and Tuchel that place a high priority in the press, you will understand why Addo shares the philosophy.

Instruction Based Play
The Ghanaian players were sound in sticking to the instructional plan of the coach. It is impressive that in just a few days, he got them understanding what was required of them.

Addo showed he is a sound tactician and we should expect the players to get better at working on his principles.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:18am On Mar 26, 2022
One thing I noticed from Addo is that he has a communication system with the players. One I spotted was he has a raise hand sign system for signalling his players to attack gaps on the wings.

When he raises his left hand up, it signals to the players to get the ball to the left wing fast and vice versa when he raises his right hand.

It will be interesting to see his other developmental plans that will come with him working with the team.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:21am On Mar 26, 2022
Sound Possession Principles Bests Individual Brilliance

Addo showed yesterday that it is not the amount of star players you have that helps you dominate the game but the amount of players that can play to a sound tactical plan.

Yesterday, they repeatedly nullified the individual stars of the Super Eagles with sound tactical approaches.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12911) (12912) (12913) (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) ... (16122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Taazenga(m), do4luv14(m), elyte89 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.