Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,597 members, 7,823,602 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12917) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11721350 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) (12918) (12919) (12920) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arizoner: 8:53am On Mar 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
who noticed that our wingers crosses were good yesterday
am more concerned with our corners. We dont have a capable corner kick taker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 8:56am On Mar 26, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 8:58am On Mar 26, 2022
Etebo helped stabilize the midfield , he is naturally built for African football. But I thought I didn't understand why a professional like him should pick up an unnecessary yellow card. He was up and down on the referee when he had canceled the penalty. Perhaps he was our penalty taker for the game.

No one fed osimhen. It's so painful that he had half chances he couldn't convert but barring that, osimhen did not get chances clear cut chances. This begs the questions of Moses Simon and Chukwueze. They both were rather wobbly. I had loved Simon play and rejuvenation from the AFCON as I had expected him to pick up from where he left. I hope chukwueze's injury is not so serious In fact I thought the reason why chukwueze struggled at AFCON was due to the absence of osimhen who he understands his play patter due to their many years of playing together. But I'm fast doubting the potency of such link.

We have emphasized on the need to have someone who can deliver better on chukwueze's wing and doesn't stifle the right back from moving or crossing the ball for the striker. I think chukwueze if fit can play from the bench.

Zaidu on the left back looks comfortable with his pace. He was much fitter than the right back Ola Aina who hasn't seen game time at Torino since AFCON. With his experience he was able to adjust to the physicality of the game on the wings. On the other hand Bassey brought in a thorough sturdity. He became the bully. He impressed me with his little minute. Yes , bassey was faked and by the Ghanaian attacker later on. But all that has to do with adjustment of him into the game. Barring that moment where his opponent got him lost he was able to stand up to every thing thrown at him.

Balogun is essentially a beast. He is super intelligent, he is built for this defense. At many times in the second half Ekong began to play erratic and this affected the balance between them. But overall Ekong can step up in the return leg as he can shake off his match rustiness with this first leg and get better in the return leg. Ekong was average.

Uzoho is what a goalkeeper should feel like. I'm happy he kept another clean sheet. And this is his 9th for the national team. He got tested more than fine boy no pimples was tested throughout his 3 AFCON matches. For a goalkeeper that hasn't seen much game time at his club, uzoho was decent and commanding.

Aina's match rustiness was obvious early on. Ekong had to constantly remind him and talk to him. As the game wore on and the Ghanaian started to take their feet off the gas pedal, Aina was able to discover his mojo and held his ground decently. I expect that he will give a better performance in the return leg. He seemed match rusty too.

Aribo plays a shouldering role. Defensive and offensive wise. He is supporting when we attack behind Nacho. And he is supporting in the defense to stabilize Bonke. But as beautiful as he does this job I feel it has not given us the best of what we can have of him. Perhaps , I still hold him from his opening debut game and the game against Brazil. Rather than having Aribo play this role it will be a big gamble having Onyeka do this box to box job. As onyeka can be erratic while defending. Aribo gives the conservative stability for that role. But then I certainly hope that with Bonke injured there is the room for the necessary evil of finding a fix to the midfield in which Ndidi's absence was easily noticeable from the onset.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 8:58am On Mar 26, 2022
The so called 1994 team that this foolish coach is trying to emulate were defeated the moment that, they faced world class teams. The only person that can stop us from qualifying is Eguavoen. Rohr initially was a good coach until iheanacho started scoring. All of a sudden, he became horrible.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:59am On Mar 26, 2022
The Wailing here on the return date would be Massive. I thought you'll said you will defeat Ghana ? Una eyes go clear next week when you will be bundled away from the world cup. Perennial Group stage visitors

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 8:59am On Mar 26, 2022
The Nigeria and Ghana team that played yesterday will definitely be eliminated in the World Cup group stages except serious changes occur.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 9:01am On Mar 26, 2022
daveP:
Smh. Same old same old

grin See how the heat map is divided like the colours of the Nigerian flag.

I didn't believe Eguavoen would play a 424. I released a squad here, I thought we had learnt our lessons with Tunisia and play something like the 433. Atleast,a formation with 3 midfielders to avoid being overrun. If we played against Egypt yesterday, we'll had lost. Yes, cos we were repeating the same thing.
Someone should tell Moses Simon he ain't Messi. He's a great player but he needs to have a timing. Know when to pass, cross, dribble and score. He made a school boy error that cost us a goal,reasons why I say our team ain't technical. That shot directly to the keeper could had been avoided. He has issues with first touch just like most of our players.
Nigeria wingers should cross the damn ball. It's not about running and ballooning the ball. Dribbles don't win games. Goals do.

I can assure you all that if you want a winger that will cross, Dennis and Lookman won't do the job for you. We claim to rely on wing play but all our wingers seem to enjoy sprinting and not winning the game. Our players, especially wingers should take advantages of set pieces. We can't keep ballooning the corners and FKs.
Nigerians on this thread have criticized Napoli wingers for not passing to Osimhen but the fact is that the Super eagles wingers are not any different.

Midfield control is key to remove us from this debacle. It's the panacea to the problem. Move Aribo closer to Osimhen, bench Iheanacho. Personally, I rather have Semi Ajayi than Etebo in the midfield. Etebo is not in form . Start Onyeka.

Nigeria shall triumph.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 9:03am On Mar 26, 2022
comodo:

This one kept repeating itself. Many happened in front of the coach. I was like is he blind. In one, Zaidu made the move to Simon. Overlapped behind him. The channel to Zaidu was closed down. Nacho opened up in the hole to get a pass from Simon, which if it had happened Zaidu will be on a freeway. No Simon didn't make that pass. He hugged the ball and tried to wriggle his way. Utter rubbish. Chukwueze was doing the same. Simple one touch football. Our wingers simply didn't play with the team. You can take on a player when one is in front of you, but trying to dribble 2-3 players over and over again is madness. Just recycle the ball. Simple.
like simple and basic...

Our fullback are being wasted..
Pass to your free full back, immediately iheanacho, osimhen and aribo attacks the box as a cross comes in, the wingers at the edge to recycle to the ball and d.m in midfield...
Simple cross and nod over and over would had added versatility to our play, meaning the opposition would not know whether we are crossing or dribbling in again, the chance to dribble and shoot would have come from thier confusion.
But from afcon till now, we still ignore that strength and keep doing same thing, same route. Omoh we have players for versatility on the pitch, not this route one football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 9:04am On Mar 26, 2022
isan:
Aribo was playing well yesterday making good runs i was surprised when Eguavon haul him off

Surprised?

It was a travesty of a substition and I was furious.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 9:04am On Mar 26, 2022
Icon4s:
After all the talk about Bassey.
He was just running like a headless chicken.
He is no where close to Sanusi in terms of ability.

Bassey was impressive, chief. He bullied Afena
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:06am On Mar 26, 2022
comodo:

This one kept repeating itself. Many happened in front of the coach. I was like is he blind. In one, Zaidu made the move to Simon. Overlapped behind him. The channel to Zaidu was closed down. Nacho opened up in the hole to get a pass from Simon, which if it had happened Zaidu will be on a freeway. No Simon didn't make that pass. He hugged the ball and tried to wriggle his way. Utter rubbish. Chukwueze was doing the same. Simple one touch football. Our wingers simply didn't play with the team. You can take on a player when one is in front of you, but trying to dribble 2-3 players over and over again is madness. Just recycle the ball. Simple.

Simon and Chukwueze should sit down for the full 90 minutes on Tuesday...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by UncleHaba22: 9:09am On Mar 26, 2022
The best Eguavon would have done yesterday at HT

Was to remove iheanacho and bring in another midfielder

If dere was
Aribo bonke etebo
In that midfield aribo the wingers would have got the ball more

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:11am On Mar 26, 2022
121large:
The so called 1994 team that this foolish coach is trying to emulate we’re defeated the moment that, they faced world class teams. The only person that can stop us from qualifying is Eguavoen. Rohr initially was a good coach until iheanacho started scoring. All of a sudden, he became horrible.

Semid4lyfe please do the needful, this kid has just broken rule number 19.

This thread should always be kept neat, and should be exclusively reserved for sane people to share ideas and debate without foul languages. This kid should be kept out through out the duration of this double header. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 9:12am On Mar 26, 2022
I thought he was going to remove nacho and Simon and go 433 with onyeka and dennis
UncleHaba22:

If dere was
Aribo bonke etebo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:13am On Mar 26, 2022
Though Aribo wasn't really good in the match, but I was mad with his substitution. Eguavoen got it wrong. He should played him behind the striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 9:14am On Mar 26, 2022
Subzero47:

What do you think he is playing for Villarreal, when last did he score a goal for them?

good question that I don't know the answer to cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Parrot69: 9:14am On Mar 26, 2022
121large:
The so called 1994 team that this foolish coach is trying to emulate we’re defeated the moment that, they faced world class teams. The only person that can stop us from qualifying is Eguavoen. Rohr initially was a good coach until iheanacho started scoring. All of a sudden, he became horrible.
From 12large to 13large to 121large?
Ok o grin grin grin
Welcome back. I enjoy reading your comments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by UncleHaba22: 9:15am On Mar 26, 2022
isan:
I thought he was going to remove nacho and Simon and go 433 with onyeka and dennis

Him head no reach there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:16am On Mar 26, 2022
The only reasonable thing I saw Onyeka do was that faint which he even outdid himself by ending it with a poor decision, otherwise, dude was a real carpenter.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 9:17am On Mar 26, 2022
gustav25:
The Wailing here on the return date would be Massive. I thought you'll said you will defeat Ghana ? Una eyes go clear next week when you will be bundled away from the world cup. Perennial Group stage visitors
grin cheesy cheesy thanks for the comic relief but what Ghanaian did calling it antics will be giving to Dem in double folds and you will join Dem wail come Tuesday wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Parrot69: 9:20am On Mar 26, 2022
ChrisKels:

Semid4lyfe please do the needful, this kid has just broken rule number 19.

This thread should always be kept neat, and should be exclusively reserved for sane people to share ideas and debate without foul languages. This kid should be kept out through out the duration of this double header. Thanks

They should leave him, or do you want him to create another monkier ‘’132Large’’ since his numbers is going up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:20am On Mar 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
he is better as a CB

far better than Balogun

That is a fat lie. Bassey gave way for Balogun as soon as he came out of injury.

Dude was the reason Celtic thrashed them the other day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:35am On Mar 26, 2022
121large:
The Nigeria and Ghana team that played yesterday will definitely be eliminated in the World Cup group stages except serious changes occur.
Football doesn't work that way

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 9:36am On Mar 26, 2022
isan:
Aribo was playing well yesterday making good runs i was surprised when Eguavon haul him off

Eguavoen goofed. Taking off aribo was criminal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:37am On Mar 26, 2022
isan:
even the Dennis way enter wetin he play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 9:44am On Mar 26, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

grin See how the heat map is divided like the colours of the Nigerian flag.

I didn't believe Eguavoen would play a 424. I released a squad here, I thought we had learnt our lessons with Tunisia and play something like the 433. Atleast,a formation with 3 midfielders to avoid being overrun. If we played against Egypt yesterday, we'll had lost. Yes, cos we were repeating the same thing.
Someone should tell Moses Simon he ain't Messi. He's a great player but he needs to have a timing. Know when to pass, cross, dribble and score. He made a school boy error that cost us a goal,reasons why I say our team ain't technical. That shot directly to the keeper could had been avoided. He has issues with first touch just like most of our players.
Nigeria wingers should cross the damn ball. It's not about running and ballooning the ball. Dribbles don't win games. Goals do.

I can assure you all that if you want a winger that will cross, Dennis and Lookman won't do the job for you. We claim to rely on wing play but all our wingers seem to enjoy sprinting and not winning the game. Our players, especially wingers should take advantages of set pieces. We can't keep ballooning the corners and FKs.
Nigerians on this thread have criticized Napoli wingers for not passing to Osimhen but the fact is that the Super eagles wingers are not any different.

Midfield control is key to remove us from this debacle. It's the panacea to the problem. Move Aribo closer to Osimhen, bench Iheanacho. Personally, I rather have Semi Ajayi than Etebo in the midfield. Etebo is not in form . Start Onyeka.

Nigeria shall triumph.

Etebo had a decent game. The issue is AM not CM or DM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 9:45am On Mar 26, 2022
The fact is that Ghana didn't come to play football but fight. Kudos to our defense line & keeper yesterday, they played well enough. I noticed our wingers especially Moses Simon was dribbling too much yesterday. In a heated game of such, where Ghana defenders are ready to break ur leg, the solution is a 1 touch football. If we can play a 1 touch football & spread good passes in the second leg, we are going to defeat Ghana. We need a 433 formation with osimhen, Dennis & Moses Simon( cautioned not to dribble unecessarily). Aribo,etebo & onyeka in midfield. We should maintain our defense line......

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 9:46am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:

Surprised?

It was a travesty of a substition and I was furious.

How iheanacho played a full game is beyond me. Infact, whoever started the narrative that a player with “clinical finishing” isn’t a number 9 is delusional. If you’re not going to play iheanacho as a 9 drop Him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 9:47am On Mar 26, 2022
Meanwhile, Nigeria created the best chances in games yesterday, Nigerian team is class way above the Ghanaians, Nigeria played badly but the class the tiny moment they put things together was obvious.

Ghana is no match for Nigeria right now.

And Nigeria loosing to Ghana on Tuesday, yes it can happen, but that will denying African one of thier most talented team on the world stage, Nigeria just needs to play basic on tuesday.

Ghana's play will be simple, sit back and counter. They will keep a player on ekong and balogun, they will sit back, expect our wingers to keep dribbling thier way from oniitsha to idumota, win the ball, pass to partey, and immediately Jordan and arena pick up pace running at our defense, this will be thier tactics, and they can sneak a goal or two, Abuja pitch is perfect for all kind of football.
Their tactics would over work sef and they will beat us or drags us to penalty if egwaveon doesn't change tactics, and one or two personnel, tweak his style too.

Nigeria will thrash Ghana if we can control play, yes thrash.
What do we do?
Two formation can be adopted.
3 4 3 or a 4 3 3
343 will see us have
Ekong semi balogun as the back 3, with balogun playing a sweeper role and also moving in to midfield when we are in possession, aina rwb and simon lwb.

Aribo and onyeka as cm and d.m collectively, with one of them not moving past the centre circle and the other roaming around the center circle and the box.

Give me me a front 3 of iheanacho Dennis and osimhen. With them interchangeably changing positions through out the game.
Let me see Ghana counter this.

Second formation, a 4 3 3.
This is pretty basic, gives us control of the game
through midfield steel.
Same back line as the game yesterday.

Aribo, onyeka and bonke. Bonke the sitting 4, onyeka c.m, Aribo an 8/10 always close to the strikers and roaming into the box.
Front of simon, osimhen and Dennis, if Simon plays rubbish, yank him off and bring in lookman, also moving osimhen to a wing and bringing in an ighalo can be a lethal.

Enough said, there is a lot we can try with our players without going foo faraway from basic and totally changing philosophy, so much unpredictability in our play can come, and its annoying we are this predictable to read.

Ae should sit up... I like him, he should sit up. The whole coaching team, need to start to thinking in and outside the box pre and during game play biko.

You have the players!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 9:47am On Mar 26, 2022
UncleHaba22:

If dere was
Aribo bonke etebo

When I saw Aribo off after having a better game than iheanacho, I lost it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 121large: 9:51am On Mar 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
even the Dennis way enter wetin he play

Honestly dennis and lookman eas disappointing yesterday. Even bassey na another Agidi type of player. The Defense excluding ekong and goal keeper were the only outstanding players yesterday

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 9:52am On Mar 26, 2022
safarigirl:

Rohr won games sha.

No trophies, but he won games, and on that basis, there is an argument he is better than Keshi. Funny stuff still

Rohr had just two major trophies to compete for during his time : AFCON and WC. He took us to third at the AFCON after years of missing out under local coaches. Of course no one expected him to win the WC. We never had issues qualifying for any competition under Rohr.

The only thing that makes Keshi's tenure better than Rohr's is that AFCON trophy in 2013.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) (12918) (12919) (12920) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, dijon, Charly17(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.