Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,696 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12915) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11721677 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12912) (12913) (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) (12918) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:28am On Mar 26, 2022
Eguavoen's Stubbornness May Prove A Draw Back

It was disheartening seeing that we have not made s sound growth in our possession and build up plays. No one is against sticking to the DNA of the team.

Past Super Eagles players have argued we have our own natural philosophy that suits our DNA. We like things done fast. Nigerians are naturally impatient people and we should play that way.

The long ball to the wings promotes our rushing philosophy.

However, I disagree with that notion. We get educated to live in a refined manner. We must not force ourselves to stick to principles that will not promote growth.

I keep hammering on Coach Monday Sinclair that thought Sharks FC players to play the possession game in a sound manner which made his players a toast for European and South American sides. Finidi George, Taribo West, Richard Owobokiri, And Peter Ruffai to mention a few.

If Sinclair could get our local boys to play the possession game effectively, players of the Super Eagles can. Glad Addo showed it yesterday with the Ghanaian side.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:32am On Mar 26, 2022
Eguavoen's Stubbornness May Prove A Draw Back (Continues)

Eguavoen released a statement that the philosophy of the team doesn't change and that seemed troubling.

Amunike came into the side to tweak the philosophy. Insisting on doing things his way will mean we are not getting a refreshing synergy with the coaching crew.

Eguavoen needs to drop the stubbornness and get to work with Amunike to fuse their styles.

We need to give our best to get into this world cup tourney and a healthy cohesion in the coaching Crew is important for this to happen.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:37am On Mar 26, 2022
Way Forward

Before we talk about going back to the drawing board AGAIN, we need to heard straight to the tactical board and to the training pitch as quickly as possible.

Just like Addo did, we need to put the team on an intense crash course in the modern fame. We must learn to build from the back and keep possession with sound Possession Play.

Those ling balls we play recklessly goes against the primary principle of possession football.

HE WHO HOLDS THE BALL CONTROLS THE GAME

We also need to teach the players to exploit gaps created from our possessive play.

We need to stick to the basics of possession football and have some drilling sessions to make grasp it and we grow from there.

This will make us play better and give us a better chance of qualifying

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43am On Mar 26, 2022
Way Forward (Continues)

We also need to work on our pressing game. We have forwards like Osimhen, Iheanacho, Olayinka, Dennis, Lookman, and Sadiq who can press well. We need to build the team on this and remember to maintain shape while pressing

Most importantly the full backs tucking into the midfield to prevent numerical strength in the midfield for the opposition if they best the press.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:47am On Mar 26, 2022
Selfish Wing Plays Must Stop

Our wing forwards should learn to be part of the build up plays and cut the individualistic display. They waste ball with it. If a full backs like Sanusi or Aina overlaps, they must be utilized.

One way is by passing the ball. How can opposing players zone press a wing and Simon and Chukwueze choose to run at them with the ball. Worse part you have an overlapping full back with you to help cut the level of numerical dominance. Over and over again, they chose to leave their full back stranded.

What makes this worse is that when a full back overlaps and we lose ball, we are exposed at the back.

I believe even Addo told the boys to ignore the full backs when they make overlapping runs because the wingers won't pass to them.

The coaching crew needs to cut that out immediately.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:48am On Mar 26, 2022
Let us hope we have a drastic improved display in the next game. it is important we do and our qualification hinges on it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:49am On Mar 26, 2022
I must add we played better in the second half but we are still a long way from having a sound tactical display.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 6:50am On Mar 26, 2022
I am disappointed.

The 0 - 0 scoreline feels like a loss to me and it's advantage Ghana on Tuesday in Abuja.

Observations / random thoughts

1. Eguavoen as a coach is below par.

2. Eguavoen's formation, tactical set up and reading of matches is poor.

3. Eguaveon doesn't know his best players and the roles best suited for them

4. Despite the good performance of Leon Balogun today, he's lost some inches of pace, has poor balance, is leggy and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Seriously, he shouldn't be starting our games. Semi Ajayi, Chidozie Awaziem & Olisah Ndah (both not in the squad) are better ball playing defenders.

5. Innocent Bonke is a carpenter. He may play regularly for Lorient but in no planet is he a good defensive midfielder.

6. Iheanacho brings only clinical finishing to the table but he'll only score if he gets the chance. His clinicality is not enough for midfield solidity, work rate, mobility upfront & channel runnings to be sacrificed in our game. Aribo should be playing the advanced midfield/support striker role behind Osimhen.

7. Chukwueze is not it. He's too predictable, is easily shoved off the ball, misplaces passes and losses possession a lot. Furthermore, playing him puts a huge burden on his wing back. Dennis or Lookman should be starting ahead of him.

8. Frank Onyeka is a baller. He and Etebo's inclusion brought some steel & solidity, better ball rotation and retention to the team. He also appears to be comfortable with ball at feet and driving forward.

He won the free kick taken by Iheanacho and also sold that dummy that took out two ghanaian players towards the end of the game. For me, Frank has cemented a starting shirt with his performance.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 26, 2022
After the chest beating and noise making, the shitty naija team could not beat a clueless Ghanaian side grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:56am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:
I am. disappointed.

The 0 - 0 scoreline feels like a loss to me and it's advantage Ghana on Tuesday in Abuja.

4. Despite the good performance of Leon Balogun today, he's lost some inches of pace, has poor balance, is leggy and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Seriously, he shouldn't be starting our games. Semi Ajayi, Chidozie Awaziem & Olisah Ndah (both not in the squad) are better ball playing defenders.

5. Innocent Bonke is a carpenter. He may play regularly for Lorient but in no planet is he a good defensive midfielder.

6. Iheanacho brings only clinical finishing to the table but he'll only score if he gets the chance. His clinicality is not enough for midfield solidity, work rate, mobility upfront & channel runnings to be sacrificed in our game. Aribo should be playing the advanced midfield/support striker role behind Osimhen.

7. Chukwueze is not it. He's too predictable, is easily shoved off the ball, misplaces passes and losses possession a lot. Furthermore, playing him puts a huge burden on his wing back. Dennis or Lookman should be starting ahead of him.

8. Frank Onyeka is a baller. He and Etebo's inclusion brought some steel & solidity, better ball rotation and retention to the team. He also appears to be comfortable with ball at feet and driving forward. He won the free kick taken by Iheanacho and also sold that dummy that took out two ghanaian players towards the end of the game. For me, Frank has cemented a starting shirt with his performance.

I agree with most but I disagree on Iheanacho. Among the forwards, Chukwueze, Osimhen, Simon and Iheanacho, Iheanacho was the only one working with the midfield.

He was the only one dropping deep to help build play, keep possession and give us numerical strength in the midfield. I value these over most attacking qualities because it ties with the basic principle of keeping the ball.

Also, Iheanacho is the only forward we have that can keep his head up to see a team mate in space and he also had the passing ability.

What affected Iheanacho yesterday was our poor to non existent possessive play but from that angle he did a good job.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:59am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:
I am. disappointed.

8. Frank Onyeka is a baller. He and Etebo's inclusion brought some steel & solidity, better ball rotation and retention to the team. He also appears to be comfortable with ball at feet and driving forward.

He won the free kick taken by Iheanacho and also sold that dummy that took out two ghanaian players towards the end of the game. For me, Frank has cemented a starting shirt with his performance.

I agree with you on Onyeka showing cream quality but the problem has always been that he is box to box and goes too advance.

Same thing goes with Aribo. So it is always a matter of dropping one for the other.

Secondly, we still need a defensive cover. Aribo, Onyeka and Etebo are not the kind of midfielders that will sit and act as a pivot for build up plays.

However, I will pick Onyeka over Aribo from what I saw yesterday.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 6:59am On Mar 26, 2022
Darkseidxx:
After the chest beating and noise making, the shitty naija team could not beat a clueless Ghanaian side grin

It was the Ghanians who were chest beating lol. They couldn't score at home

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:02am On Mar 26, 2022
daveP:
Another solid Observation

Osimhen can never thrive in the GWG as lone striker. It's still this stupid formation though. Nacho is supposed to be an Ideye to Osimhen's Emenike. But barely did they even exchange passes in Kumasi tonight, talk more sleekness.
una don start yeye again. So nor be lone striker he dey do for napoli and score lot of goal? Una don start una yeye again.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:04am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:
I am. disappointed.

On Balogun, I agree he looked shaky but helped with some sound defending.

However, he is one defender that I know worked with a sound possessive tactician. That is Potter of Brighton. I was even happy watching him and Ekong discuss tactical adjustments infield and saw us make better movements at the back.

Basically, I believe if we play in a more possessive fashion, we will get to enjoy Balogun more and his play might be more tidy.

Our defenders were a bit too exposed yesterday and saw their performance as a kudos.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:09am On Mar 26, 2022
Icon79:
Here’s what I just posted on Twitter:

Quick question for @thenff and @PinnickAmaju: can Eguaveon be taken off this team before the return leg on Tuesday? Hand the team over to Amuneke and Samson Siasia to complete the job.

That’ll be the best decision for us, if we really want to win on Tuesday.

O pari
5 naira post!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:14am On Mar 26, 2022
The boys are already back to Abuja...

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 7:15am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:
I am. disappointed.

Oga free balogun abeg.cut him some slacks. Talk about ekong abeg I hope it's not livescores you watched
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 7:17am On Mar 26, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

On Balogun, I agree he looked shaky but helped with some sound defending.

However, he is one defender that I know worked with a sound possessive tactician. That is Potter of Brighton. I was even happy watching him and Ekong discuss tactical adjustments infield and saw us make better movements at the back.

Basically, I believe if we play in a more possessive fashion, we will get to enjoy Balogun more and his play might be more tidy.

Our defenders were a bit too exposed yesterday and saw their performance as a kudos.
Thank you. As if there was a midfield

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 7:18am On Mar 26, 2022
I didn’t watch the game. Wasn’t able to undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 7:22am On Mar 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:
I am. disappointed.

Eguavoen thinks he is some Arigo Sacchi or Pep Guardiola when in reality he is just another Christian Chukwu sticking to some outdated "philosophy".

I don't see either team doing anything tangible at the World Cup proper. A well drilled European, South American or even Asian team will make light work of both teams.

Nigeria should just win for bragging rights over Ghana. Nothing more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 7:23am On Mar 26, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with most but I disagree on Iheanacho. Among the forwards, Chukwueze, Osimhen, Simon and Iheanacho, Iheanacho was the only one working with the midfield.

He was the only one dropping deep to help build play, keep possession and give us numerical strength in the midfield. I value these over most attacking qualities because it ties with the basic principle of keeping the ball.

Also, Iheanacho is the only forward we have that can keep his head up to see a team mate in space and he also had the passing ability.

What affected Iheanacho yesterday was our poor to non existent possessive play but from that angle he did a good job.

On Iheanacho, we'll never agree so let's just leave it like that

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 7:37am On Mar 26, 2022
codemaniacs:

That's how he plays for Nigeria.. he is playing safe so that he doesn't get injured so that he can return to his villar:eal duties..

He hasn't regressed per se.. grin grin

What do you think he is playing for Villarreal, when last did he score a goal for them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 7:42am On Mar 26, 2022
codemaniacs:

Thunder is the roar from lightning Sparks. Lightning is the one that can fire people not thunder..

Lightning fire you � � more. The main problem was the wingers..

Midfield was too thin unless you expected Bonke to play DM, CM and AM at the same time grin grin

I didn't expect that, educative laced with small insults, impressive grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 7:46am On Mar 26, 2022
From my viewpoint. I strongly believe Uzoho should be our number 1 goalkeeper. Not because he didn't concede but because he has confidence that is expected of a goalkeeper. He commands his line and reflexes very sharply. Akpeyi and Okoye may have good club records but both lack confidence expected in a high
tempo. match. No doubt Okoye is doing well and can improve but lacks the confidence to be the number 1

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 7:47am On Mar 26, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
True. The first save was relatively poor. That's something I have seen Maduka grab with his hands. Wondered why they made noise here.

The carpet save he made was very good. Great save. Funnily it wasn't really talked about here.

Nobody grabs a stinger with his hands, stop lying!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 7:48am On Mar 26, 2022
safarigirl:
Genuine question please, was Rohr a better coach than Keshi?
Definitely not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 7:52am On Mar 26, 2022
Well for me good game by our boys I give kudo's to our defense and goal keeper uzoho my man I never had any fear yesterday about us conceding, our midfield was flat bonke looks lost, aribo was basically playing both the number 8 and 10 simultaneously because Iheanacho was basically not into the game 100% he looks lost most of the time which made aribo wear out quickly, Simon just went back to his usual way can't even do a step over to save his life and missed our best chance of the game, chukwueze just picked up from where he left at afcon, can't sort him self out and run into defenders trap and become ineffective, "osigoal" I was practically pitiful for him because he was just running ragged without support. For me going into the next game Eguavoen should sit his ass down on the bench with his 4-2-4 old school formation and let amunike control things and Iheanacho should start from the bench, oyenka and etebo should start in the midfield and aribo take his natural position, chukwueze should sit his ass on the bench Dennis start and Simon should start but as soon as he show's default he should be off the pitch, Ghana has no attack and dey get tired easily because they can't keep their fast pace tempo. wink Up SUPER EAGLES QATAR 2022 HERE WE COME cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:54am On Mar 26, 2022
safarigirl:
Genuine question please, was Rohr a better coach than Keshi?
Nope ... Keshi better pass
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 7:58am On Mar 26, 2022
PDPGuy:
On Tuesday, Eqguavoen should start Aribo, Etebo, and Onyeka in the midfield, and start Osimhen, Lookman, and Dennis in the attack.

I don’t want to see that first half EYESORE again!!

Its very simple but will he do it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 7:59am On Mar 26, 2022
When Eguavoen was talking about his 1900s team I thought he admired their hunger and determination, I didn't know he actually wanted to take us back there.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:02am On Mar 26, 2022
Rockyrascal:
I wasn't sad we played a draw after all odds were against Ghana to lose. I was sad because Ghana forced us to play shitty football

We forced Ghana to play shitty football!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arizoner: 8:03am On Mar 26, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you on Onyeka showing cream quality but the problem has always been that he is box to box and goes too advance.

Same thing goes with Aribo. So it is always a matter of dropping one for the other.

Secondly, we still need a defensive cover. Aribo, Onyeka and Etebo are not the kind of midfielders that will sit and act as a pivot for build up plays.

However, I will pick Onyeka over Aribo from what I saw yesterday.
i see you didn't mention moses simon in your analysis despite the rubbish he played yesterday

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12912) (12913) (12914) (12915) (12916) (12917) (12918) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m), Amedino99(m), samdolad(m), opes, Oasis007(m), Christinu2 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.