Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1487) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11671915 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1484) (1485) (1486) (1487) (1488) (1489) (1490) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 10, 2017
Joebie:
grin This babe sabi ball sha oh..
where u dey stay sef?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2017
Icon4s:

That's why since after Enyimba of 2002 to 2004 no Nigerian club has done anything meaningful on the continent.

I think Heartland got to the finals in 2009, played Kano pillar in the semis lost the finals on goals difference to To mazembe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2017
Joebie:
grin

na so e dey start, tete-a-tete, small small
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2017
Icon4s:

'Coming close to scoring' is making headline again?
Bros i tire o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2017
i no dey see ur handwork again oh..
do4luv14:

na so e dey start, tete-a-tete, small small
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2017
u don chop?

[quote author=Nigerdeltaboi post=60327283][/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:25pm On Sep 10, 2017
Kog45:
Bros i tire o
it's ANS...we've learnt not to have high expectations from them. They excel in sensationalism

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 8:30pm On Sep 10, 2017
forgiveness:

CHELSEA AND ENGLAND SHOULD OPPOSE NIGERIA’S TAMMY ABRAHAM PURSUIT

The latest rumours circulating about a young Chelsea player d[/b]o not deal with transfers or loans but with national team allegiance. If Nigeria are truly chasing Tammy Abraham, both England and Chelsea should be furious.

Tammy Abraham’s decision to play for either England or Nigeria matters deeply not only to the country he chooses, but to Chelsea FC as well. Whether you approach the question from logic or emotion, you reach the same very certain and very firm conclusion: Tammy Abraham should turn down every single advance from Nigeria and stick with England.

The first and most obvious point is that Tammy Abraham – though of Nigerian heritage – was born in Camberwell, London. He was born and raised and reared in the United Kingdom. Yes, his parents are of Nigerian heritage. But at what point does that stop mattering? Every person in the world can trace their bloodline back to some far-flung destination, yet that does not determine their nationality.

Abraham was born in London. He has been at Chelsea since he was eight years old. He did not move to England as a young boy. Tammy Abraham was born the second of October 1997 in perfect damn London, England. He is a wonderful young footballer and a funny, charming young man. He does not need to be peddled by some older, cynical managers and footballing bureaucrats in a strategic chess game of prospect-catching.

MUST READ: Chelsea's 3-4-3 alternatives: Is 3-1-4-2 the future for Antonio Conte's Blues?
The fact that Nigeria are even considering this is exactly what is wrong with international football in the first place. International football is not there to strategically pick your way to progress professionally, and it should not be about cynical attempts to further a brand. It is about pride in the country of your birth. Abraham is from England. Let him be from England.

It was wrong when Victor Moses changed nationalities, and when Diego Costa did it as well. This sort of behavior is to the detriment of the wonderful patriotic moments that make international football great.

If not simply for national pride, Chelsea should hope that Tammy Abraham plays for England for one simple reason: the African Cup of Nations. AFCON takes place in the middle of the Premier League season. If Tammy Abraham is going to be as good as people suspect he will be, then Chelsea need to keep him around.

RELATED STORY: Chelsea's Tammy Abraham must weigh depth, potential in Nigeria offer
Abraham draws comparisons to Ian Wright, and in younger age group trials outshone Kylian Mbappe. Abraham will make Harry Kane look like an incomplete and poor striker in a few years’ time, while taking a legitimate shot at Chelsea’s all-time goals record. The last thing Chelsea need is Abraham gone for a month and a half during a key part of the season.

AFCON is a wonderful footballing tournament played at a hysterically terrible time of year. In many ways it devalues some of the footballers in it, and makes it harder for some clubs to invest in them. Having Abraham play for Nigeria simply lowers his value for Chelsea FC. They will not have him around as often while he increases his risk of injury by playing in a full international tournament in less-than-spectacular conditions in the middle of a Premier League and Champions League season.

NEXT: Chelsea should start Tiemoue Bakayoko against Leicester as prep for Champions League
This move would not benefit anybody except the Nigerian Football Federation. Abraham is a phenomenal young player. He should be setting his sights high on success with the England national team – the country of his birth – not strategically trying to win caps playing for a country he has at most visited on emotional vacations.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/901371251?-18946:4882:0

AFCON?? Very soon it will be ReScheduled.. But this author think so low bou Nigeria
..to summarise
" TAMMY SHOULD NOT JOIN THE LOWLY NIGERIAN FOOTBALL TEAM IN STEAD OF THE GREAT 3LIONS"
Pidgin " why tammy go leave better england join that yamayama nigerian team as dia 2 no b mate"
yoruba "tammy o gbodo darapomo egbe super eagles radarada ni ibi ti 3lions wa nitori kini? Shey egbe ni won ni!"

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 10, 2017
Joebie:
u don chop?
well well grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:48pm On Sep 10, 2017
zicky:
I think Heartland got to the finals in 2009, played Kano pillar in the semis lost the finals on goals difference to To mazembe

Did they win it?
Who remembers the second placed teams?

Enyimba are the last Nigerian club to have won any continental title. Too bad for the Nigerian league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:51pm On Sep 10, 2017
Joebie:
i no dey see ur handwork again oh..

handwork ke, nah observation mode ah dey now oooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:48pm On Sep 10, 2017
safarigirl:
for now....if he switches, then maybe.

Roge never represented SA, he repped Switzerland, he's Swiss...besides, I don't really count white South Africans as African

Roger Federer have never denied his African origin, you don't have to be black to be African. We have Arabian Africans too, the continent is different from race.

In my opinion though, I think a human being's heritage is better traced from the mothers side. The women are the seed bearers while the man is just like a catalyst who facilitates the chemical process involved in creation.

Anyway, I am so happy for Kevin. Hope he beats Nadal in the final for Africa ☺

The game is on now I believe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:54pm On Sep 10, 2017
goldfish80:

Roger Federer have never denied his African origin, you don't have to be black to be African. We have Arabian Africans too, the continent is different from race.

In my opinion though, I think a human being's heritage is better traced from the mothers side. The women are the seed bearers while the man is just like a catalyst who facilitates the chemical process involved in creation.

it is a patriarchal society we live in.

The woman is just the vessel and nurturer, her name won't be the one in the history books
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:58pm On Sep 10, 2017
hahahaha

do4luv14:

handwork ke, nah observation mode ah dey now oooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:08pm On Sep 10, 2017
neighy:

AFCON?? Very soon it will be ReScheduled.. But this author think so low bou Nigeria
..to summarise
" TAMMY SHOULD NOT JOIN THE LOWLY NIGERIAN FOOTBALL TEAM IN STEAD OF THE GREAT 3LIONS"
Pidgin " why tammy go leave better england join that yamayama nigerian team as dia 2 no b mate"
yoruba "tammy o gbodo darapomo egbe super eagles radarada ni ibi ti 3lions wa nitori kini? Shey egbe ni won ni!"

Tammy should bear in mind that if he drops form,it won't take long for England to dump him. He can ask Wilfred Zaha Gabriel Agbonlahor,Nedum Onouha and others..
Moreso his chance of winning a national team title is higher with Nigeria than with England. He can ask Victor Moses..

The choice is his tho.. IMO,the poor structure of African football may be the major thing that might discourage him from playing for us. Mr.Pinnick and gge NFF should respect whatever decision he makes.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 10, 2017
I doubt Abraham will make the world cup with Nigeria seeing how conservative rohr is in respect to integrating new players, except if he specifically asked for Abraham.
but anything can happen sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:54pm On Sep 10, 2017
Icon4s:

Did they win it?
Who remembers the second placed teams?

Enyimba are the last Nigerian club to have won any continental title. Too bad for the Nigerian league.
did you see where I wrote the lost on goal difference and you still ask if they win it. you make it sound like Nigeria club have been shit, bt I try to let know that two Nigerian clubs got to the semifinals that 2009 which is a remarkable feat either they win or not caf remember the second place team and I also do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:16pm On Sep 10, 2017
Icon4s:

I have already congratulated him. But I will watch out to see that name make headlines again next season.

U congratulated him but u also made an underhanded dig about him ending up in an obscure league next season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:30pm On Sep 10, 2017
OMANBALA1:
And whoever said that was right ,all NPFL strikers are one season hit and they hit the rocks. Sometime ago I have highlighted why this keep happening I mean one season a player scores 20 goals and next he bits the dust. Its the the ills that comes with playing in the Nigerian league,the bad management,poor remuneration very hostile environment and the players desperation to seek better option abroad which usually ends in disaster.

We can all remember players who shook the NPFL with their goal scoring exploits but soon after this accomplishment they went missing...Emeka Nwanna of Rangers and Enyimba,Wobo Uwaezoke of Enyimba,Jude Aneke of Warri Wolves just to name a few have all bit the dust. Sad. And this trend will not change if further changes are not made in the way clubs and the league are run.

This is the more reason why we have to celebrate the likes of Mfon Udoh, Anthony Okpotu and even Godwin Obaje who are still banging the goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2017
Icon4s:

Good you remember.

You see, I have over the years learnt not to put too much expectations on these young players. I prefer not to expect much and they exceed my expectations than to expect so much only to get my hope dashed.

Senior team football is way way above the U17 level.

As I have always said: It is not just a Nigerian thing. It cuts across all countries.

I fear for osimehn.

I hope for our sake and his, he doesn't turn out another chrisantus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omoluabi16(m): 12:11am On Sep 11, 2017
goldfish80:

Sorry mate. El-matador just got his sweet sixteen. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:20am On Sep 11, 2017
I don't think we are desperately in need Tammy Abraham at the moment. For the future? Yes.

I'm almost certain he'd end up with the 3 lions.

And I have to concede to joebie on this one, forget about patriotism, these players should make decisions that would favor their careers. It'd be very difficult turning down advances from their birth countries in favor of Nigeria.

I think what we very much need at the moment is back-up for the oyibowall. it's really dangerous depending solely on them.

I'd like me another German-groomed defender in Jordan tourinagha.

Tomori, Lorfa and the rest of them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:36am On Sep 11, 2017
Next year will be interesting. This year they shared it two apiece - Nadal and Federer
Omoluabi16:
Sorry mate. El-matador just got his sweet sixteen. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:40am On Sep 11, 2017
Don't you see England speaking with both sides of their mouth. The other day, it should be a thing of pride playing for the 3 Lions. Some of us where towing that line as it applies to SE..

One thing I've learned in this life, to be ahead you have to think ahead of your competition. Just as there is a battle for power and resources in world politics, it also applies to human resources in the form of talents. Sports is not an exception. If you wait to copy, you will always be behind. This is the reason why Nigeria is backward.

junnyjake:
I don't think we are desperately in need Tammy Abraham at the moment. For the future? Yes.

I'm almost certain he'd end up with the 3 lions.

And I have to concede to joebie on this one, forget about patriotism, these players should make decisions that would favor their careers. It'd be very difficult turning down advances from their birth countries in favor of Nigeria.

I think what we very much need at the moment is back-up for the oyibowall. it's really dangerous depending solely on them.

I'd like me another German-groomed defender in Jordan tourinagha.

Tomori, Lorfa and the rest of them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omoluabi16(m): 12:47am On Sep 11, 2017
Joebie:
Next year will be interesting. This year they shared it two apiece - Nadal and Federer
It's perfect bro. I'm so happy for both of them..considering their age and the amount of injuries they've had. I bet missing this tournament will do good for murray and Djokovic next year. This Fed-dal guys have been the best.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:16am On Sep 11, 2017
Premier League Statistical Best XI for the week preceding the international break. Tammy Abraham made it!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:18am On Sep 11, 2017
Yes the ATP will me more competitive next year. It seems we finally have an heir to Serena. Wait a minute. Serena to return.

Omoluabi16:
It's perfect bro. I'm so happy for both of them..considering their age and the amount of injuries they've had. I bet missing this tournament will do good for murray and Djokovic next year. This Fed-dal guys have been the best.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:24am On Sep 11, 2017
Mickael2:

My brother have you seen what I saw
Sha he said he was just being patriotic.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:27am On Sep 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U congratulated him but u also made an underhanded dig about him ending up in an obscure league next season.

You want to say that has not been the trend?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:30am On Sep 11, 2017
zicky:
did you see where I wrote the lost on goal difference and you still ask if they win it. you make it sound like Nigeria club have been shit, bt I try to let know that two Nigerian clubs got to the semifinals that 2009 which is a remarkable feat either they win or not caf remember the second place team and I also do.

No need going into an argument with you on this.

I have made my own point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:55am On Sep 11, 2017
edi287:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:59am On Sep 11, 2017
edi287:

Thank u my guy coz u are able to understand my simple comment.

As a Nigerian do they expect me to be carrying Spanish players matter for head against my own team.There are things i can say as a football analyst but when it comes to my national team sometimes i w be sentimental especially if someone is trying to rubbish our players at d expense of foreign players i don't take a poo.

Honestly am very conservative when it comes to this,i can even tell u Akpeyi is better than De Gea.Spain may have it good this time around with beautiful players but not to d extent of trying to rubbish your own team not even this young team.

I remember prior to France 98,most people believe Nigeria doesn't have d chance against Spain but at d end what was d result.

We need to give this guys some respect and they deserves it.This is d first time Nigeria is having it so good in a group comprising Algeria, Cameroon, Zambia. Do anybody believe we w have it so good in this group but telling us that hey can't hold it against any team in d world is out of it.

If Spain are beating tough oppositions in their group are we beating minnows here,Cameroon Afcon champion, Algeria a team rated as d best in Africa,Zambia a team to reckon with in Africa.

Thank u my guy for showing simple understanding coz it takes a wise one to understand my point.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1484) (1485) (1486) (1487) (1488) (1489) (1490) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jihday(m), bigblangston, immobilare(m), shawwal1(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.