Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,432 members, 7,850,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1864) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11864746 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1861) (1862) (1863) (1864) (1865) (1866) (1867) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:45am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Be true to yourself. Iheanacho has scored a lot of goals that are not tap-in goals. Whether you like it or not. You can not change the truth.

How many did he scored outside the 6yard box last seaon?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:54am On Oct 21, 2017
Humility017:

and where is Hibernian currently in the Scottish league table....?
you talk as if Ambrose will command a starting shirt in Nantes...Fc

they are currently 6th in their league, they just came back from relegation and are in the 6th position, next time if you don't know about something kindly keep quiet
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2017
Kog45:
Hibernian?

Yes, the scottish club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:57am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

Yes, the scottish club
Oh Scottish league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:59am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I will like to praise the NFF for their bold step in organizing this game. It shows we are ready to make strides to improve and I hope we have more high profile games after this.

I doubt Rohr will give it a go and so expect the same set-up we used against Zambia.

People think Argentina is poor because of their challenging run in the qualifiers. However, I see different. They are coached by Sampaoli who coached Chile in the last World Cup and Copa America.

His system requires adjusting and I feel that was what held the Argentines back. With their last performance, it shows they are getting to understand the system and I see an upward trajectory in the performance index of the Argentines.

We are going to meet a tough Argentine team that will test us. They will come at us with full intensity. We can contain them but the game is titled towards the Argentines.

the problem they had was that they fielded too many players that occupied the same position. In most of their games they lacked cohesion, Dybala and Messi would be doing virtually the same thing forcing one of them to just stand and watch, Di Maria was played as an out and out winger thus reducing his impact, but ever since Sampaoli came in things have changed. People who did not watch those matches will point at the scoreline forgetting that Argentina had 7good chances to score in each of those games and now that Argentina are getting Messi closer to the box and allowing Di Maria to roam maybe with Aguero or Icardi or Higuain as the point man it spells doom for opponents. If they can somehow find a way to add Dybala to this system(highly unlikely but you never know with Sampaoli) it would be a wrecking machine. I see a repeat of Argentina vs Germany in the world cup final

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:00am On Oct 21, 2017
Celtic was held at home by Hibernian with Efe in the thick of things. Same Celtic at UCL. Not a big feat but the guy is not finished as some will want us to believe.
Kog45:
Hibernian?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:02am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Even if you are Collin Udoh or Robbie Savage or Kenny Dalglish, the truth remains. Solanke did not chase Origi. Those backroom people you are talking about where those who convinced Klopp to accept Solanke. Klopp did not even know him. Let alone put him in his plans to pursue Origi.

Klopp didn't know him before preseason but afterwards, minds changed and the story changed. EOD. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

the problem they had was that they fielded too many players that occupied the same position. In most of their games they lacked cohesion, Dybala and Messi would be doing virtually the same thing forcing one of them to just stand and watch, Di Maria was played as an out and out winger thus reducing his impact, but ever since Sampaoli came in things have changed. People who did not watch those matches will point at the scoreline forgetting that Argentina had 7good chances to score in each of those games and now that Argentina are getting Messi closer to the box and allowing Di Maria to roam maybe with Aguero or Icardi or Higuain as the point man it spells doom for opponents. If they can somehow find a way to add Dybala to this system(highly unlikely but you never know with Sampaoli) it would be a wrecking machine. I see a repeat of Argentina vs Germany in the world cup final

I see Sampaoli sorting out the Dybala - Messi Partnership too. A lot on their success hinges on it. He has sorted Messi's issue by getting the team to work harder off the ball and reduce the pressure on Messi getting the team to play well.

Dybala is the last piece of the puzzle and then they have a title contending squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:05am On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

Does that make spurs on par with Madrid? Was it not the same side that lost to Monaco?

You are shifting the goal post. We have seen Everton could not beat a team from Cyprus at home in a competitive game.

To say wolfburg will struggle with a league 1 side is ridiculous because man for man, they have better players. Football is not mathematics but the odds favour Wolfburg

The same Solanke that could not boss it in eredivise, a weaker league will come and boss it in the German league.

I think, your english bias sometimes makes you not appreciate the quality of other leagues.

The fact that he scored goals at 17 without any super star to give a pass for tap in goals, then I am dam sure he will do better. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:05am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not think Leon Balogun will make it. Certainly, I see Awaziem filling that spot. Apart from that, much the same. However, not my preference at all. I would have preferred a compact defence/midfield set-up with a free attacking forward line.

With Mikel Obi and Ndidi staying compact with the defence. The full backs, Aina and Shehu will offer support going forward one at a time but in a limited fashion to reduce the gaps on the flanks and also help keep the defensive midfield area compact.

This would have been my preferred approach. No Onazi because the role calls for serious discipline of the defensive midfielders.

Ekong-Awaziem combo does not work. Don't get me wrong Awazeim is a brilliant player but since we already know that Ekong will start I do not think Awaziem should start. You can compare Ekong-Omeruo combo to Ekong-Awaziem combo in the games against Zambia and South Africa. Omeruo might not be the best but he combines better with Ekong and this is Argentina, we are definetly going to conceed goals against them but let's keep it down

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07am On Oct 21, 2017
goldfish80:

How many did he scored outside the 6yard box last seaon?

What dafuq? Nacho had limited time last season to use his goals to tag him. I already wrote about Guardiola's system which has Gabby Jesus, Sane, Sterling, Aguero scoring tap-in goals. It is the system. Will you call them tap-in merchants? You were wrong there move on. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

Ekong-Awaziem combo does not work. Don't get me wrong Awazeim is a brilliant player but since we already know that Ekong will start I do not think Awaziem should start. You can compare Ekong-Omeruo combo to Ekong-Awaziem combo in the games against Zambia and South Africa. Omeruo might not be the best but he combines better with Ekong and this is Argentina, we are definetly going to conceed goals against them but let's keep it down

Awaziem suffered in the game against South Africa because of exposure. We play in a more compact fashion now and that exposure will reduce. Either with Rohr's preferred set-up or the one I suggested, a lot of detail goes into protecting the defence which gives Awaziem less exposure. Awaziem is a better candidate than Omeruo.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I see Sampaoli sorting out the Dybala - Messi Partnership too. A lot on their success hinges on it. He has sorted Messi's issue by getting the team to work harder off the ball and reduce the pressure on Messi getting the team to play well.

Dybala is the last piece of the puzzle and then they have a title contending squad.

He is probably going to play a 3-4-3 against us and it is a shame really because we can't exploit it. Our forwards are not the fastest forwards ever and none of our forwards can bully Mascherano. Let's wait for the game though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:11am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Awaziem suffered in the game against South Africa because of exposure. We play in a more compact fashion now and that exposure will reduce. Either with Rohr's preferred set-up or the one I suggested, a lot of detail goes into protecting the defence which gives Awaziem less exposure. Awaziem is a better candidate than Omeruo.

how do we play in a more compact fashion NOW? Omeruo's game against Zambia came a long long time before the game against SA, it can be assumed that we got even better before the SA game yet Awaziem's performace wasn't up to par. Now I don't want to go back to the idea that we don't have a team without Mikel until such a scenario happens again so I will just have to agree that Ekong-Awaziem does not work. Omeruo-Awaziem would be a lot better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:11am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

they are currently 6th in their league, they just came back from relegation and are in the 6th position, next time if you don't know about something kindly keep quiet
are you alright...?

what stopping you from replying my question without adding those bits of insults you wrote up there.

just in case you're not civil or polite....let this be the last time you tell me such.
because common sense should tell u the team awaziem currently play and the players he play against weekly...is miles ahead of that obtained in the Scottish league...
and considering the age factor

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

He is probably going to play a 3-4-3 against us and it is a shame really because we can't exploit it. Our forwards are not the fastest forwards ever and none of our forwards can bully Mascherano. Let's wait for the game though

Hence it is a friendly, Sampaoli will likely experiment with Dybala and Messi. One thing I expect is the pressure on our midfield and defence. Let us see how it goes. Big task ahead for Awaziem if Rohr starts Echiejile.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

how do we play in a more compact fashion NOW? Omeruo's game against Zambia came a long long time before the game against SA, it can be assumed that we got even better before the SA game yet Awaziem's performace wasn't up to par. Now I don't want to go back to the idea that we don't have a team without Mikel until such a scenario happens again so I will just have to agree that Ekong-Awaziem does not work. Omeruo-Awaziem would be a lot better

In the game against South Africa, we had Etebo, Onazi and Echiejile bombarding forward, leaving a lot of room at the back. This put a lot of pressure on Awaziem. Now, we play in a more compact fashion. Leaving less gaps than before. Although Onazi still creates that room and we still have deficiencies from Echiejile, it is not as pronounced as before.

Keep in mind our compactness in the game against Cameroon in Yaounde where we even played in a more compact fashion. The defence is no more as exposed as we were against South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:21am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Hence it is a friendly, Sampaoli will likely experiment with Dybala and Messi. One thing I expect is the pressure on our midfield and defence. Let us see how it goes. Big task ahead for Awaziem if Rohr starts Echiejile.

Echejile is injured isn't he?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

In the game against South Africa, we had Etebo, Onazi and Echiejile bombarding forward, leaving a lot of room at the back. This put a lot of pressure on Awaziem. Now, we play in a more compact fashion. Leaving less gaps than before. Although Onazi still creates that room and we still have deficiencies from Echiejile, it is not as pronounced as before.

Keep in mind our compactness in the game against Cameroon in Yaounde where we even played in a more compact fashion. The defence is no more as exposed as we were against South Africa.

In the game against Zambia we had Ndidi at RB, the same Echejile who was skinned over and over again at LB, at some point Ekong would go over to RB just to stop their attacks and Omeruo would command the 18 alone and he did well. Recall also that in that Zambia game Iwobi played and there was no cover for Echejile at all but somehow we did not notice, why? Because Echejile did a fantastic job
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:25am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I will not lie to you. I pondered whether it was the wrong choice Iheanacho not opting for a move to China with Pellegrini. Back then, I did not entertain the idea but today, I feel that was the best decision.

Iheanacho would have made money and continued working with a manager who truly believed in him.

Another person like that is the current Southampton coach, Pellegrino. He followed Benitez like MTN. Everywhere he went.

Which kin talk be dis? We are praying for Nacho to start scoring goals and improve to another level, you are here wishing he goes out of sight.

Bros, Iheanacho should have gone to Monaco when the ovation was loud. He could have been playing regularly week in week out which would have restored his confidence.

Now, he has to put in jaw dropping performance before he gets noticed by a bigger club or his former club.

The most painful thing is, it seems certain he will make the world cup even if he has broken leg, at the detriment of the whole football loving fans.

I suggest Rohr should pretend he is not taking Iheanacho to the world cup by dropping him from the next campaign except he performs. That is if he doesn't perform this weekend.

I think he will sit up.

I wish all Nigerians do well but I will not tolerate partiality or discriminate analyses. grin

This is my true mind. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:28am On Oct 21, 2017
Humility017:

are you alright...?
what stopping from replying my question without adding those bits of insults you wrote up there.
just in case you're not civil or polite....let this be the last time you tell me such.
because common sense should tell u the team awaziem currently play and the players he play against weekly...is miles ahead of that obtained in the Scottish league...

I saw your first reply before you modified it and wanted to ignore, but you changed it so let me make some things clear.

I can come to an engineering gathering and start saying things that are not accurate and an engineer will tell me to keep quiet that I do not know what I am saying, it is not an insult just the truth, I said keep quiet not shut up, if you took it as an insult then sorry.

Has Nantes played against PSG? Monaco? No. Has Hibernian played against Celtic? Yes. The outcome? A draw? The hero? Ambrose.

What position does Nantes currently occupy?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:30am On Oct 21, 2017
Joebie:
Celtic was held at home by Hibernian with Efe in the thick of things. Same Celtic at UCL. Not a big feat but the guy is not finished as some will want us to believe.
Am not saying he is finished but i don't see him as a player for this coming WC as some are suggesting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

In the game against Zambia we had Ndidi at RB, the same Echejile who was skinned over and over again at LB, at some point Ekong would go over to RB just to stop their attacks and Omeruo would command the 18 alone and he did well. Recall also that in that Zambia game Iwobi played and there was no cover for Echejile at all but somehow we did not notice, why? Because Echejile did a fantastic job

I actually praised Echiejile after the first Zambian game. I doubt that is the true picture. One good game does not cover a large number of games Echiejile left us exposed. The last game against Zambia is a good and precise picture. Where Balogun had a torrid time plugging the gaps Echiejile created. We even got balanced in the second half when Agu did a lot of the balancing duty.

I am not running down Omeruo but Awaziem is in a more better position, especially with his recent training with Ranieri, a man I respect a lot. What we need to focus on is reducing the holes we create. Especially with Onazi and Echiejile bombarding forward without caution. This leaves the defenders under a lot of pressure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

Echejile is injured isn't he?

I forgot about that. Thank you for the reminder. In that case, I expect a more stable performance on the left back but the pace and skills of the Argentines are still a major threat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:41am On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

I saw your first reply before you modified it and wanted to ignore, but you changed it so let me make some things clear.

I can come to an engineering gathering and start saying things that are not accurate and an engineer will tell me to keep quiet that I do not know what I am saying, it is not an insult just the truth, I said keep quiet not shut up, if you took it as an insult then sorry.

Has Nantes played against PSG? Monaco? No. Has Hibernian played against Celtic? Yes. The outcome? A draw? The hero? Ambrose.

i have to modified it....reason to be polite as much as i can even though I see those words you put up there as trash...

let me tell you...you're not an expert in this field...your opinion of football facts are mere yours...and should not think you better know than everyone else...hence no need for the engineering analogy.

regarding your question in Nantes FC.....they're currenrly occupying the 5th spot on the league table...same points wit Marseille and saint-etenne and wit even a game at hand...

let me say this....Celtic is not in same level wit Bordeaux or Montpellier and nantes have played both....

PSG I think on the 18 next month...
if PSG could humiliate Celtic that much right in their stadia before their home fans....I don't think they're better than any middle level placed team in French ligue 1

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:57am On Oct 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What dafuq? Nacho had limited time last season to use his goals to tag him. I already wrote about Guardiola's system which has Gabby Jesus, Sane, Sterling, Aguero scoring tap-in goals. It is the system. Will you call them tap-in merchants? You were wrong there move on. Finito.

Even as a sub,he scored goals last season. The quality of his goals is not parallel to time spent on the pitch.
You can't defend him with the "limited time" argument. Has he ever been a starter for Man city?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:09pm On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

The two league are apart and d two players in question are apart,one had seen it all and d other one is just coming up.

Personally i w never go back to Ambrose coz am one of d school of thought that don't believe in Martins,IK Uche recalls but Awaziem still yet to prove if he is capable in eagles colour though he is having good games with Nantes.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:10pm On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

grin I don't complain too much about it because we share the same ideology. You can start a debate about the NPFL, I will keep quiet because I don't know too much about it, but when it comes to La Liga/Segunda and even Segunda2 I will jump in and defend their quality. I guess that's the same ideology you employ, you only talk about what you know

I thought I was watching la Liga when I turned my TV and I even though it was Barcelona playing but I curious because I know they just finished playing in the Champions League and it's impossible they play League game on Friday.

That was why I decided to watching closely until I realized it was Barcelona 2 playing in the la Liga 2.

I mean the quality was obvious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:14pm On Oct 21, 2017
That's why we have friendlies..
Awaziem, Ekong and even Balogun will be tested further

Kog45:
Am not saying he is finished but i don't see him as a player for this coming WC as some are suggesting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:19pm On Oct 21, 2017
Joebie:
That's why we have friendlies..
Awaziem, Ekong and even Balogun will be tested further

Yea Jobie with Awaziem, Ekong,Balogun even Omeruo and Agbo,no need for Ambrose.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:20pm On Oct 21, 2017
Mickael2:

Players work better, the more they play together.. Awaziem is ahead of Omeruo right now. He is better quality, he should keep getting used to the partnership.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:20pm On Oct 21, 2017
I've always been of the opinion that most of us are jumping the gun. 8 months is far away and many things could still happen.

However I'm hoping these boys will stand up to the test.

Kog45:
Yea Jobie with Awaziem, Ekong,Balogun even Omeruo and Agbo,no need for Ambrose.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1861) (1862) (1863) (1864) (1865) (1866) (1867) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christology(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.