Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,312 members, 7,846,383 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1892) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11838620 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1889) (1890) (1891) (1892) (1893) (1894) (1895) ... (16238) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2017
i was sick o
Icon4s:

Where have you been?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Does the agent kick the balls for Iheanacho?

Good players go to lowly clubs and change things for the positive. They turn things around irrespective of the club's philosophy or how they play.

You recall when Austin Okocha went to Bolton? He single-handledly took them out of relegation in his first season. Iheanacho's transfer was meant to catapult Leicester back at least into the top half of the league table.

A player the club spent so much on.

Talking about the way the club plays, is it the club that will change their style of play to what suits Iheanacho or it is Iheanacho that will adjust to Leicester's style. Did he not see them play all these seasons before agreeing to terms with them?

I am just worried about his form for Nigeria. Rohr needs to do some thing fast about our striking department.
That's it,his form is d issue coz WC is around d corner.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 6:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
by now u for don dance am on ur own finish lol
do4luv14:

yaaaa!!!!.......

come mak we go dance skelewu.......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

As if some players are free from criticism.

When Musa went to Leicester and couldn't fit in: 'It is Musa that is not good'. 'Musa has been found out'.

Now Iheanacho has gone there and could not fit in they are looking for his agent and Leicester style to blame. Some blamed Shakespeare and even celebrated his sack as though it will bring better fortunes to Iheanacho.

Chidi Nwakali could not play a single game all season at Diportivo and it was blamed on Racism. Kayode has gone there and is already winning MOTM. The club has suddenly changed from being racist.
You don vex. I feel Iheanacho should have gone from a lesser club, hone his technique and them move up. Shebi it was Porto that he was supposed to go to? Look at Ndidi from Gent to Liecester, Awaziem from Porto to Nantes, Onyekuru from Eupen to Anderlecht (on loan from Everton)

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 6:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
oya make una leave Iheanacho. abi is it all this one you are talking that will encourage the boy?
Icon4s:

Does the agent kick the balls for Iheanacho?

Good players go to lowly clubs and change things for the positive. They turn things around irrespective of the club's philosophy or how they play.

You recall when Austin Okocha went to Bolton? He single-handledly took them out of relegation in his first season. Iheanacho's transfer was meant to catapult Leicester back at least into the top half of the league table.

A player the club spent so much on.

Talking about the way the club plays, is it the club that will change their style of play to what suits Iheanacho or it is Iheanacho that will adjust to Leicester's style. Did he not see them play all these seasons before agreeing to terms with them?

I am just worried about his form for Nigeria. Rohr needs to do some thing fast about our striking department.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

I never said any player will boost our chances. I said we should select based on merit. As it stands, we have 14-15 players guaranteed if fit and in form. That leaves 8-9 players to fight for....
I am with on this...
some peeps talk here...as if some of this players like ogu, nwakeme kicked a ball during this qualifiers....

let everyone be given a fair chance...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
komekn:

We are speaking the same language Bro.

I said this donkeys ago and was told to stop undue pressure and criticism.
Yea u said it,hope he manage d situation very well or else it w affect his confidence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:21pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:
i was sick o
Sorry. I trust you are feeling better now. I admire your bullet style. Very effective.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly too bad for him,then who should we blame for this,Iheanacho or his agent.
Both. They chose british passport over what's best for his career. I said it way from time this was a bad move.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
yes i am. thanks
which bullet style?

Mujtahida:

Sorry. I trust you are feeling better now. I admire your bullet style. Very effective.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:
i was sick o

Pele. No fall sick again o.

Glad to have you back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:
oya make una leave Iheanacho. abi is it all this one you are talking that will encourage the boy?

No body needs to encourage him at this point. He has to encourage himself by himself. He is no longer a baby footballer.

The worst that will happen to him is for Rohr to leave out due to lack of action.

Nwakaeme and Kayode have been active even up till recent so who knows? Any thing can happen from now to next June.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
edi287:

Both. They chose british passport over what's best for his career. I said it way from time this was a bad move.

Is he even in the starting line up for the league cup against Leeds tonight?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:47pm On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

I will check...but iwobi will be starting...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:53pm On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Yes. Kelechi starts

Ndidi and Musa on the bench.

We noticed Kelechi's depreciation under Pep.

He thrived under Pellegrini. He was confident and sharp. The system was good for him. Right now, his confidence is shot.

Once he can get a few goals and gain his confidence back. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Isahalbash(m): 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2017
This thread dey make brain... mk I come spread my mat and kettle here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:56pm On Oct 24, 2017
Kakamorufu:
u mean 1998 world cup

Yes.. Mistake... 1998..thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:56pm On Oct 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

Yes. Kelechi starts

Ndidi and Musa on the bench.

We noticed Kelechi's depreciation under Pep.

He thrived under Pellegrini. He was confident and sharp. The system was good for him. Right now, his confidence is shot.

Once he can get a few goals and gain his confidence back. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Good. So what's his role in the line up? SS or CF?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 6:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
Humility017:

so let us allow uzoho to prove his worth...
everyone should be given a chance...
what's wrong in testing his prowess wit the Algeria match...and let ezenwa or anyone else man the post in the Argentina's match...

ajiboye will have the Chan to prove his worth too....

let the best be taken for the world cup...
there should be no sentiment towards any player just because they played a role in Nigeria's qualification...

anyone else amongst those we clamouring for...could have done that...
it's a privilege..after all they were paid match bonus...I remember the likes of ideye who played out his sweat prior the 2014 world cup...later he wasn't picked in the 24 man list...
keshi reason was...the need to score goals..

so every players should be know that....the list for the world cup....still fresh and any capable player can get their name in there...
uzoho against algeria? no coach will try that, unless the all other goal keepers are injured, alampasu will get his chance first before uzoho, the guy has not even been invited before so who will rush him into that kind of match. my guy don't be emotional, things don't work that way. the young man will get his chance but not against algeria.

we have a lot of players that already on the fringes so those fellows will get their chances first before others.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2017
Some lessons so far on our failed world cup attempts from responses so far include

1. Stick to the coach that qualifies you for the world cup cos you you need that strong bond between the coach and the players who have been working tirelessly together.
2. Do not discard half or majority of the players that qualified you for the world cup as it affects team spirit and you end up with players in the world cup who are strange bed fellows. Case in point keshi despite qualifying for the world cup and going to the world cup ended up with players who were not really used to each other. This may be the reason Mikel rejected the inclusion of ramon azeez in the game against France.
3. Go with at least 90% of your players who qualified you for the world cup. case in point USA 94 team. If you must bring in new players, very very few.
4. Nff need to sort out issues of bonus and players welfare on time. I heard before the end of this year, Nff will meet with the players to tell them how much they will earn during the world cup next year. Good one I must say.
5. Quality warm up games for the team, perhaps warm up games against Germany and Yugoslavia brought out the best of Nigeria against Spain in France 98.
6. We must check over confidence from the players, case in point is one of the reasons we lost the Denmark game in 1998 as the players were already thinking about brazil when they haven't finished with Denmark
7. We must check players who tend to be selfish in the game, result against argentina in the 2010 world cup would have been different if the likes of martins were not selfish in their play. Okocha was another culprit in past world cups. Victor Moses need to be checked on this. Players in better position must be given the ball for clinical finishes in front of goal like we saw against zambia with Iwobi's goal. This could decide games.
8. Team selection must be based on those who are hungry for the team success and not those who just want to appear as some big players have failed to turn up on the big occasions, e.g. Yekini of blessed memory and Okocha.
9. Good mix of youthful and experienced players. One of the reasons we failed in the 2002 world cup was the way we discarded experienced players who were still in form and hungry. Thank God Rohr had admitted that it was the mix of young and experienced players that achieved qualification. So those who feel the likes of Mikel, musa, onazi, echiejile even omeruo are not relevant may need to have a rethink. One advantage of the crop of young players we have now like iwobi, iheanacho, ekong and co is that by the next world cup, they will be very experienced players.
10. Updated FIFA rules must be understood by players and coaches to avoid naive situations. Reason we even failed to qualify in 2006 as we knew nothing about head to head rule. This also showed in 1994

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:00pm On Oct 24, 2017
Goke7:

uzoho against algeria? no coach will try that, unless the all other goal keepers are injured, alampasu will get his chance first before uzoho, the guy has not even been invited before so who will rush him into that kind of match. my guy don't be emotional, things don't work that way. the young man will get his chance but not against algeria.

we have a lot of players that already on the fringes so those fellows will get their chances first before others.

It doesn't follow that Alampasu will get his chance first. Football doesn't work that way.

You are right about Uzoho not manning the past Algeria though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:06pm On Oct 24, 2017
terzurum5:

We may not need to field an entirely new team/bench against the Algerian team because the new Coach will not be ready to loose his first game.
I expect to see a new Algerian team completely different from the their previous showings in the WC qualifying matches so far played.

Our hands go full that day.

Modified

According to coach Rohr... Few changes... Just pray we don't lose the match... Remember we beat them at home 2-5.. Think during 2006 world cup qualifier

We can do it gain... Just don't want the players to relax.. Let us take it as WC preparation...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 7:18pm On Oct 24, 2017
Pepe Mel, coach of deportivo has been fired
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:

Bad news for Uzoho...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
Kog45:
If Enyeama refuses to come back.We don't have option than to face what we have on ground.

I believe with Ezenwa, Akpeyi,Ajiboye, Alampasu, Uzoho we w get a good option.

All Rockie except Akpeyi... Coach Rohr just decide the first choice now... And let the exposure start now... The next first choice should involve in all our friendly matches prior to World Cup to give him necessary drills.. And I think our goalkeeper trainer contract will expire after Algeria match... NFF should try and renew his contract and employ a very good psychology to help the whole team and also try if possible schooled our players about the history of Nigeria in world cup from 1994 up to date... It Will really help the team...

I read somewhere that iwobi was asking Ozil about world cup experience... Most of the new set of eagles need these history it will go a long way... Ex internationals can be used... People like kanu, adepoju, jj and others can help with this lectures and videos .

It will go a long way for the players...

One thing I am happy of was that.. We have a continuation in terms of coach and players .. Last time we had such was 1994.for coach and players .in 2014... Only keshi was on ground.. Some of his back room staff was sacked and he changed his team ...

Let's us hope according to coach Rohr... 80 percent will make it down to Russia...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:
welcome back! waiting to see you around more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
elyte89:
If enyeama doesn't show up,I wild like
Dis 4set of gk to b given a look in
Enzenwa

Emmanuel Daniel

Ajiboye

Alampasu

Emmanuel Daniel can't make it down... When last did he play a competitive match?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:28pm On Oct 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

Bad news for Uzoho...
I doubt. coruna's dmfs are wack. thats how the game was lost. i hope the new manager takes note. They dont even have a good backup goalie.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
libero808:
I hope it doesn't affect Uzoho place in the team

Reshuffling of coaches like this causes some kind of disruption

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
Isahalbash:
This thread dey make brain... mk I come spread my mat and kettle here.
This thread is my second home cheesy
#silentreader
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

As if some players are free from criticism.

When Musa went to Leicester and couldn't fit in: 'It is Musa that is not good'. 'Musa has been found out'.

Now Iheanacho has gone there and could not fit in they are looking for his agent and Leicester style to blame. Some blamed Shakespeare and even celebrated his sack as though it will bring better fortunes to Iheanacho.

Chidi Nwakali could not play a single game all season at Diportivo and it was blamed on Racism. Kayode has gone there and is already winning MOTM. The club has suddenly changed from being racist.
Good u are coming out to say this,some shield their love players from criticism and descend on others for no reason.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
KevinDein:

This thread is my second home cheesy
#silentreader
better change it to #salientpointdropper from now on

(1) (2) (3) ... (1889) (1890) (1891) (1892) (1893) (1894) (1895) ... (16238) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: villagereporter(m), Marjoribanks, iamdynamite(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.