Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,051 members, 7,814,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11639506 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2166) (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) ... (16141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 7:20pm On Nov 18, 2017
Off thread Nigeria 5 Morroco 1 (6 : 1) on aggregate
Falconets off to the final world cup qualifying round round.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:21pm On Nov 18, 2017
forgiveness:

Which wing did Aluko played in 2012/2013 season? You no know but you wan argue.

What was the formation Hull city used that season and the season before?

So, you know more than Hull city, ba?
Does Sone Aluko mostly play as a CF, Yes or No?? Na simple question oga. His last game for us - did he play as a CF?? How many times has he played as a CF in his career??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
I've always been saying things as it is.. I'm saying it as it is now..
When he performs, I say it as it is.. at the moment he seems to be hitting a rough patch in the EPL
Lol....I just pray he does not regret his decision playing for England...because should he miss next summer world cup...the possibility of making Qatar 2022 or even next Europa nations cup...will be quite slim.....

the world cup will be a break through for him getting into Chelsea first team...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
The possibility of Aluko or any championship player for that matter getting a look in by Rohr is quite slim. Generally, the league is seen for what it is -- second tier.

I do think he deserves a look in, but not as a CF. He can't bench anyone as a CF. I don't know why Forgiveness wants to argue this...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
Tammy is a promising forward. He has a great future.
Dessers is also good.
Abusule007:

After watching some YouTube videos of cyriel dessers, I think that's the real deal. Tammy is still learning compared to him. I will like him to feature in one of our friendly matches.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
edi287:

I do think he deserves a look in, but not as a CF. He'll can't bench anyone as a CF. I don't know why Forgiveness wants to argue this...
last season...he deserves to be looked in...definetely not this season....he has not done anything impressive this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:24pm On Nov 18, 2017
Yes we can all have different opinions. But I have just stated the reality. Players who play in the first tier almost always have an advantage.

edi287:

I do think he deserves a look in, but not as a CF. He'll can't bench anyone as a CF. I don't know why Forgiveness wants to argue this...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:29pm On Nov 18, 2017
I think he dreaming about Chelsea's #9 is too premature. He needs to end this season on high, unless there is a clause in his loan contract that he could be recalled. The currently season is barely half way. He still has a lot to prove.
If England is bent on cap-tying him they will take him to Russia

Humility017:

Lol....I just pray he does not regret his decision playing for England...because should he miss next summer world cup...the possibility of making Qatar 2022 or even next Europa nations cup...will be quite slim.....

the world cup will be a break through for him getting into Chelsea first team...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:31pm On Nov 18, 2017
Hello guys!
The English press are already analysing the teams to avoid in each pot of the World Cup draws and the Super Eagles are being considered as one of the teams to avoid. I would like to know your take on their post.

(According to Daily Mail U.K, England.)-

What's the dream/nightmare draw for England?
England managed a draw with Brazil in this week's friendly at Wembley, but coming up against them at the World Cup is a whole different kettle of fish. Elsewhere, Iceland would be a disastrous Pot 3 draw, given the nightmare exit at the hands of the Scandinavians last year at Euro 2016. Pot 4 should bring the easiest opponent, but Nigeria - with a few Premier League stars - is the one to avoid.

In terms of a dream draw, Russia have squeezed into Pot 1 by virtue of being hosts and would represent the best chance of three points for England. Iran and Panama, meanwhile, are relative World Cup novices and Southgate's side should - SHOULD - be too strong for them.

Nightmare draw: Brazil, England, Iceland, Nigeria.

Dream draw: Russia, England, Iran, Panama

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5085675/World-Cup-2018-qualifiers-draw-naming-final-squads.html

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:34pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
It's Mouscron 0-1 Anderlecht at the moment. Take a look at the formation.

Nice updates Joebie. Please how is our boy fairing in this new formation? This would really make him a very important player for us if he does it well with his club. I'm loving this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:39pm On Nov 18, 2017
Hull City takes a cue from the Super Eagles -- deploys Aina at Left Back. Fikayo Tomori at RB, as they are held at home by Iorfa's Ipswich.
Iorfa was left in the dugout. Tom Adeyemi unlisted by Ipswich.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:40pm On Nov 18, 2017
komekn:

I'll tell you directly but will leave you to guess.

Two weeks ago I spoke to a Nigerian origin teenager who plays in midfield for a premiership team has played near 10 games. He was undecided but felt no formal commitment had been made by Nigeria.

Abou the same time I had contact with the agent of a young Nigerian defender in the championship he explained no formal invitation received. Fred Onyedinma if invited will be on the plane same say day. Seyi Ojo will require clearance buy is ready to play for Nigeria from what gather.

I have said it before will say it again. If you are a stand out player in your lower league team then you could be considered. For instance Dele Alli, Gomez, Ademola, left league one straight to the premiership as teenagers.

I mentioned MK Dons player Chuks Aneke from leagues one as a good quality option in midfield.

I'm not just a football fan. But I have some limited involvement with football. So I do talk about English football from first hand experience with coach,players, agents, hod of recruitment, a few managers, etc. If you call that bias I am very guilty.

That should be Josh Onomah I guess. Well it's all good that the desire is there. In as much as as I advocate for the NFF to engage these players, I'd also implore those of them who desire to play for the SE to be proactive too. The invite might just never come. They have to look for a way to present themselves. My worry in this aspect is that we tend to look down on those who present themselves.

But komekn these boys are for our post Russia team. I don't see them being part of our team to Russia. We are wary and tired of the hullabaloo that accompanies our efforts to get these UK born Nig players to switch.

They stand a very good chance after the WC. Let them get ready of going through the bruises to qualify us for Qatar 2022.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
It's not Onyekuru's first time playing there for Anderlecht in a 3-5-2 formation.
He's played as a LWB four times this league season.

Modified
He scored a brace against Mechelen while playing as a LWB.

ChrisKels:

Nice updates Joebie. Please how is our boy fairing in this new formation? This would really make him a very important player for us if he does it well with his club. I'm loving this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
I think Super Eagles are very unlucky as when It comes to the FIFA rankings as they're the second highest ranked team in Pot 4 of the WC draws, just behind Serbia.

Imagine that! We are arguably the strongest in that pot 4

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Slimydude49(m): 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Hull City takes a cue from the Super Eagles -- deploys Aina at Left Back. Fikayo Tomori at RB, as they are held at home by Iorfa's Ipswich.
Iorfa was left in the dugout. Tom Adeyemi unlisted by Ipswich.
please which app or website is this?? Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:50pm On Nov 18, 2017
WORLD CUP: THE FINAL 32
The Europeans occupying almost half of the WC slots is intruiging and eye-catching.

Europe - 14 teams
Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Iceland, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
Africa - 5 teams
Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal Tunisia.
S America - 5 teams
Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Peru.
C America - 3 teams
Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama.
Asia - 5 teams
Australia, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:53pm On Nov 18, 2017
Errors from Nantes' players handed PSG all 4 goals
RB Chidozie Awaziem ( 6.8 ) was Nantes best player on the pitch (besides their goal scorer who had 6.9) according to Whoscored's Ratings
He even made a clearance off the line.
Final score: PSG 4-1 Nantes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:54pm On Nov 18, 2017
whoscored.com

Slimydude49:
please which app or website is this?? Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
I think Super Eagles are very unlucky as when It comes to the FIFA rankings as they're the second highest ranked team in Pot 4 of the WC draws, just behind Serbia.

Imagine that! We are arguably the strongest in that pot 4
I wonder why Tunisia did not enter that pot. We will draw tough teams. We are not supposed to be in pot 4 meant for weaklings. Team 2014 maybe but definitely not this team. It would be sad if we cannot go beyond first round if we get drawn in a tough group. The toughest group we've found ourselves in at the World cup is the one in 2002. We failed to advance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
Mickael2 has been quiet o!!... Chai!!

After assuring us that we will lose two games, my bro just disappeared... Biko, your input is needed.

Maybe his busy with his exam I think ... Hes not a quite type.. Oga Mickael2 prove them wrong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
you have already said indirectly that FIFA Rankings is not a true reflection of the strength of a team.
Hence, don't say we will draw tough teams grin

Mujtahida:

I wonder why Tunisia did not enter that pot. We will draw tough teams. We are not supposed to be in pot 4 meant for weaklings. Team 2014 maybe but definitely not this team. It would be sad if we cannot go beyond first round if we get drawn in a tough group. The toughest group we've found ourselves in at the World cup is the one in 2002. We failed to advance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
So you don't believe that being a English player gives you more opportunities to get contracts with the big EPL teams?
And you don't believe that African players are mostly undervalued and for the most part better than the clubs they play for?
Interesting .....

Well, we just played Argentina last week. So let's start by comparing the pedigree of the teams their players play for and then juxtapose that with the pedigree of the clubs that our boys represent.

O pari

komekn:

You are totally misrepresenting facts and being misleading why Emotive sentiment to over hype.

It was not too long ago that Iwobi was benched at Arsenal and as a result was struggling for games. Then Ozil got injured and Iwobi seized position once more.

The Ox was always ahead of Iwobi. yes I like Iwobi but the truth must be told. Had this discussion donkeys ago and ended with, see how much the Ox will go for in the summer transfer. I have now been very much vindicated.

Don't think there ever was a time the Ox was in contention with Iwobi so thats misrepresentation. The idea because Iwobi is Nigerian nobody wants him is totally untrue.

Zaha and Bolasie play for CIV and Congo respectively. They were in demand by the creme of the EPL so the idea because he is Nigerian. That worked against him is far from the truth.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:59pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

So because we want to know who is better than who we should just now start testing players who are springing up everywhere. So when will the testing end?

Thank God some of us here are not the Coach. Have you heard about the paradox of choice? You want this player, that player, this player, that player to be tested. Habaaa. This is like opening the flood gates na. A good coach knows when and where to refresh his team.

Leow of Germany was spoilt for choice both in terms of personnel and tactical formations. He went changing anyhow and suffered defeat against Italy at Euro 2012 semi finals.

We cannot test every player even if some of them are Ronaldo

A good coach is continously on the hunt for better players and is never satisfied.

The quest for excellence is about continous improvement not about contentment with what you have.

That's the difference between top class and average.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 8:00pm On Nov 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Hello guys!
The English press are already analysing the teams to avoid in each pot of the World Cup draws and the Super Eagles are being considered as one of the teams to avoid. I would like to know your take on their post.

(According to Daily Mail U.K, England.)-

What's the dream/nightmare draw for England?
England managed a draw with Brazil in this week's friendly at Wembley, but coming up against them at the World Cup is a whole different kettle of fish. Elsewhere, Iceland would be a disastrous Pot 3 draw, given the nightmare exit at the hands of the Scandinavians last year at Euro 2016. Pot 4 should bring the easiest opponent, but Nigeria - with a few Premier League stars - is the one to avoid.

In terms of a dream draw, Russia have squeezed into Pot 1 by virtue of being hosts and would represent the best chance of three points for England. Iran and Panama, meanwhile, are relative World Cup novices and Southgate's side should - SHOULD - be too strong for them.

Nightmare draw: Brazil, England, Iceland, Nigeria.

Dream draw: Russia, England, Iran, Panama

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5085675/World-Cup-2018-qualifiers-draw-naming-final-squads.html
In 12 days time, every qualified country for the world cup will know their fate. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:04pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:
I said it that the Jersey we used against the Argies is beautiful. Check this out:

I love the jersey immediately I saw it.. Just fell for it... But many don't like it.. The jersey is very deep only those in fashion line will understand...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
If those players were in the EPL, we would have long been chasing them. I have already made my point. Generally, we view second tier for what it is. Let them work hard and upgrade to the EPL, or better yet move to the first tier in other leagues. Aina was "lucky" to rub shoulders with Mikel at Chelsea. That's where it all started for him.

Modified
Think of ANY Nigerian-decent player in the EPL right now. You will realize we've made a move on most of them. Jordan Ibe, Ademola Lookman, Tammy Abraham..

Mujtahida:

That should be Josh Onomah I guess. Well it's all good that the desire is there. In as much as as I advocate for the NFF to engage these players, I'd also implore those of them who desire to play for the SE to be proactive too. The invite might just never come. They have to look for a way to present themselves. My worry in this aspect is that we tend to look down on those who present themselves.

But komekn these boys are for our post Russia team. I don't see them being part of our team to Russia. We are wary and tired of the hullabaloo that accompanies our efforts to get these UK born Nig players to switch.

They stand a very good chance after the WC. Let them get ready of going through the bruises to qualify us for Qatar 2022.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:07pm On Nov 18, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

I love the jersey immediately I saw it.. Just fell for it... But many don't like it.. The jersey is very deep only those in fashion line will understand...
People commended the Jersey for its beauty online. I saw several commendations but didn't just want to post. Me love it

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:08pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
you have already said indirectly that FIFA Rankings is not a true reflection of the strength of a team.
Hence, don't say we will draw tough teams grin

Biko we should be spared.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:10pm On Nov 18, 2017
The truth is there are tough and weak teams in all the pots. Well IMO. Let's hope to draw the weaker team. Forget Poland's ranking. Will you be scared to see Poland in our group?

Mujtahida:

Biko we should be spared.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:11pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
If those players were in the EPL, we would have long been chasing them. I have already made my point. Generally, we view second tier for what it is. Let them work hard and upgrade to the EPL, or better yet move to the first tier in other leagues. Aina was "lucky" to rub shoulders with Mikel at Chelsea. That's where it all started for him.

Modified
Think of ANY Nigerian-decent player in the EPL right now. You will realize we've made a move on most of them. Jordan Ibe, Ademola Lookman, Tammy Abraham..

You are right. Aina was the Chelsea connection. The argument is that if we can invite a Shehu from Cyprus, a Nwakali from Norway, Osimhen from wolfsburg as in from leagues that are at par with the English championship, then why not the i'nnit boys'
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2017
See the odds of all the teams chances of winning the World Cup.

Germany 6.00
Brazil 6.25
France 6.50
Spain 8.50
Argentina 9.25
Belgium 13.50
England 20.00
Portugal 21.00
Croatia 30.00
Russia 41.00
Uruguay 41.00
Colombia 47.00
Poland 49.00
Switzerland 66.00
Mexico 68.00
Sweden 78.00
Denmark 88.00
Serbia 110.00
Nigeria 150.00
Peru 170.00
Senegal 175.00
Iceland 185.00
Japan 220.00
Egypt 250.00
Australia 260.00
South Korea 270.00
Morocco 270.00
Costa Rica 290.00
Iran 310.00
Tunisia 390.00
Saudi Arabia 830.00
Panama 870.00

Nigeria is the highest ranked in Africa

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:16pm On Nov 18, 2017
komekn:

I'll tell you directly but will leave you to guess.

Two weeks ago I spoke to a Nigerian origin teenager who plays in midfield for a premiership team has played near 10 games. He was undecided but felt no formal commitment had been made by Nigeria.

Abou the same time I had contact with the agent of a young Nigerian defender in the championship he explained no formal invitation received. Fred Onyedinma if invited will be on the plane same say day. Seyi Ojo will require clearance buy is ready to play for Nigeria from what gather.

I have said it before will say it again. If you are a stand out player in your lower league team then you could be considered. For instance Dele Alli, Gomez, Ademola, left league one straight to the premiership as teenagers.

I mentioned MK Dons player Chuks Aneke from leagues one as a good quality option in midfield.

I'm not just a football fan. But I have some limited involvement with football. So I do talk about English football from first hand experience with coach,players, agents, hod of recruitment, a few managers, etc. If you call that bias I am very guilty.

If that is Ademola Lookman then I know NFF is full of propaganda.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2166) (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) ... (16141) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Cecco90, mostob(m), soetanoreoluwa(m), charlesemeka85(m), TheGoodJoe(m), Oasis007(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.