Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11641153 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) ... (16143) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:17pm On Nov 18, 2017
Those guys play in the first tier. I've already made my case. And they actually have advantage over any player playing in ANY second tier.

Mujtahida:

You are right. Aina was the Chelsea connection. The argument is that if we can invite a Shehu from Cyprus, a Nwakali from Norway, Osimhen from wolfsburg as in from leagues that are at par with the English championship, then why not the i'nnit boys'
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
edi287:

Does Sone Aluko mostly play as a CF, Yes or No?? Na simple question oga. His last game for us - did he play as a CF?? How many times has he played as a CF in his career??

What role did Sone Aluko played in the 2012/2013 sesson? Anwers simple question first.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
The possibility of Aluko or any championship player for that matter getting a look in by Rohr is quite slim. Generally, the league is seen for what it is -- second tier.

Of course it is second tier, but only to the EPL.

The EPL is regarded widely as the most competitive and best league in the World. That in itself accords a high level of quality and competency on the 2nd tier Championship.

In what context are you rating the Championship England's 2nd tier league. Lower than or higher than league rated below 5 in Europe or lower than leagues rated less than 10 in Europe.

Do you know what % of players move from Championship to go to the EPL every season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24pm On Nov 18, 2017
lol.. was NFF also full of propaganda before they named the national U17 coaches?
komekn did not say the said player has played in the EPL. And that's the reason why I did not quote that post. He just said he has played 10 games for a team in the EPL. That COULD ALSO mean PREMIER LEAGUE 2 (U23 league).

forgiveness:

If that is Ademola Lookman then I know NFF is full of propaganda.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:29pm On Nov 18, 2017
Two different things. I'm not arguing about the quality of the championship in comparison to other leagues. I'm just saying it is seen as a second tier league regardless. Yes, second tier to the EPL, BUT still a second tier. That tag alone rubs on it negatively.

Modified
If you can name a number of good national sides that boast of players from the championship, then I would have no option but join you in your clamor for championship players.
WAIT. and they still have to be performing.

komekn:

Of course it is second tier, but only to the EPL.

The EPL is regarded widely as the most competitive and best league in the World. That in itself accords a high level of quality and competency on the 2nd tier Championship.

In what context are you rating the Championship England's 2nd tier league. Lower than or higher than league rated below 5 in Europe or lower than leagues rated less than 10 in Europe.

Do you know what % of players move from Championship to go to the EPL every season

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:32pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

That should be Josh Onomah I guess. Well it's all good that the desire is there. In as much as as I advocate for the NFF to engage these players, I'd also implore those of them who desire to play for the SE to be proactive too. The invite might just never come. They have to look for a way to present themselves. My worry in this aspect is that we tend to look down on those who present themselves.

But komekn these boys are for our post Russia team. I don't see them being part of our team to Russia. We are wary and tired of the hullabaloo that accompanies our efforts to get these UK born Nig players to switch.

They stand a very good chance after the WC. Let them get ready of going through the bruises to qualify us for Qatar 2022.

I did not speak to Tega Onomah recently.

I would ask you to indulge me and watch Tega Onomah video on YouTube. Then tell me what you think please.

The issue for Nigerian origin players is one word RELATIONSHIP without relationship getting these boys will continue to be problematic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:38pm On Nov 18, 2017
Henry Onyekuru was on target for RSC Anderlecht as they defeated Taiwo Awoniyi's Mouscron Peruwelz in tonight's Belguim Jupiter League game.

Onyekuru scored a late winner in the 80th minute to earn his team all three points as the game ended 2-1. The win sees, them close the gap between RSC Anderlech and league leaders Club Brugge as they continue their race for the Belgian League title.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2017
I"m not sure how much support he gives his team defensively. I will have to look for some stats on that. If he does that equally well, we'd have to say goodbye to Echiejile

MetalJigsaw:
Henry Onyekuru was on target for RSC Anderlecht as they defeated Taiwo Awoniyi's Mouscron Peruwelz in tonight's Belguim Jupiter League game.

Onyekuru scored a late winner in the 80th minute to earn his team all three points as the game ended 2-1. The win sees, them close the gap between RSC Anderlech and league leaders Club Brugge as they continue their race for the Belgian League title.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:48pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
My Word Cup Draw Prediction grin

Lol...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:53pm On Nov 18, 2017
ACCORDING TO OGN (supports the point I have been making)

Chelsea Legend – ‘Oyibo Eagles ‘ Won’t Be In Eagles If Given Options Like Abraham
November 18, 2017029

Former Chelsea defender Celestine Babayaro says most players born abroad who are in the Super Eagles won’t be in the team if they had same options like Tammy Abraham.

Abraham turned‎ down the chance to play for Nigeria after receiving assurances from England manager Gareth Southgate who later invited him and played him in England’s friendly games against Germany and later Brazil.

Nigerians have criticised the player for refusing to follow in the foot steps of the likes of Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi, William Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun, Carl Ikeme, Ola Aina and recently Brian Idowu who all pledged their future to Nigeria despite being eligible for the country of their birth.

” The attack on Abra‎ham is not fair. Most players in the Eagles now with the option of playing for other nations they are eligible to represent won’t be playing for Nigeria if they were called up by the other nation like Abraham “, Babayaro told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” It’s not easy to turn down a country where you have spent the best part of your life, make friends and even to some families for a country which they sometimes know nothing about “.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:56pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
The truth is there are tough and weak teams in all the pots. Well IMO. Let's hope to draw the weaker team. Forget Poland's ranking. Will you be scared to see Poland in our group?

No, I won't but then again you have to reckon with the fact that against tough sides we tend to raise our game and go flaccid when up against seemingly weak teams

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Icon79:
So you don't believe that being a English player gives you more opportunities to get contracts with the big EPL teams?
And you don't believe that African players are mostly undervalued and for the most part better than the clubs they play for?
Interesting .....

Well, we just played Argentina last week. So let's start by comparing the pedigree of the teams their players play for and then juxtapose that with the pedigree of the clubs that our boys represent.

O pari

This discussion emanated from the proposition that Iwobi is being discriminated against because he Is Nigerian. That is the reason there was very little or no interest from other premiership clubs.

Firstly last season Iwobi was struggling for games and in many regards off the boil.

There are no issues of work permit, he is British.

Mahrez, Serge Aurier and Zaha play for CIV and Algeria respectively. These players attracted the attention of the top teams in the EPL. Thier nationality didn't cause any problems for them.

Did the nationality of KC and Ndidi hamper thier big money moves to the premiership

So yes, I don't think Iwobi faced any discrimination.

However, the issues of work permit will hamper players not from the EU and players not within the top 10 FIFA ranked national teams will struggle.

Outright discrimination no I doubt that not when you are a top performing player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Lokomotive Plovdiv lost to Bulgarian champs, Ludogorets, 0-3 at home.
LB Musa Muhammed was on from start to finish. He was cautioned.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:00pm On Nov 18, 2017
Right, but I was just making the point that there are "weak" and strong teams in all 4 pots.

Mujtahida:

No, I won't but then again you have to reckon with the fact that against tough sides we tend to raise our game and go flaccid when up against seemingly weak teams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
I"m not sure how much support he gives his team defensively. I will have to look for some stats on that. If he does that equally well, we'd have to say goodbye to Echiejile

I totally agree with you. I think Onyekuru will be the most instrumental as a Left Wing Back for us in the WC if he's a half effective defensively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. was NFF also full of propaganda before they named the national U17 coaches?
komekn did not say the said player has played in the EPL. And that's the reason why I did not quote that post. He just said he has played 10 games for a team in the EPL. That COULD ALSO mean PREMIER LEAGUE 2 (U23 league).

Wetin concern under 17 with d matter wet dey for ground?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
komekn:

A good coach is continously on the hunt for better players and is never satisfied.

The quest for excellence is about continous improvement not about contentment with what you have.

That's the difference between top class and average.

And a good Coach also aims for stability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2017
I don't know what league you've been watching but Iwobi actually played a decent amount of games last season. Yes, he struggled to get games towards the ending of last season but by mid-season he was getting a decent amount of play time. As a matter of fact, it got to a stage where the British pundits were blaming him to OX being on the bench.

If you have the time to search this particular thread, you'll find where we discussed that subject. I was one of the people who argued that the pundits were trying to unnecessarily blame Iwobi because he doesn't play the same position with the OX.

O pari

komekn:

This discussion emanated from the proposition that Iwobi is being discriminated against because he Is Nigerian. That is the reason there was very little or no interest from other premiership clubs.

Firstly last season Iwobi was struggling for games and in many regards off the boil.

There are no issues of work permit, he is British.

Mahrez, Serge Aurier and Zaha play for CIV and Algeria respectively. These players attracted the attention of the top teams in the EPL. Thier nationality didn't cause any problems for them.

Did the nationality of KC and Ndidi hamper thier big money moves to the premiership

So yes, I don't think Iwobi faced any discrimination.

However, the issues of work permit will hamper players not from the EU and players not within the top 10 FIFA ranked national teams will struggle.

Outright discrimination no I doubt that not when you are a top performing player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
If those players were in the EPL, we would have long been chasing them. I have already made my point. Generally, we view second tier for what it is. Let them work hard and upgrade to the EPL, or better yet move to the first tier in other leagues. Aina was "lucky" to rub shoulders with Mikel at Chelsea. That's where it all started for him.

Modified
Think of ANY Nigerian-decent player in the EPL right now. You will realize we've made a move on most of them. Jordan Ibe, Ademola Lookman, Tammy Abraham..

Actually that's a problem.

Please check my other comments on the quality of the Championship and League 1.

If you wait for these players to become front page news and hot property. Then we have failed COMPREHENSIVELY.

We should not wait for that level of recognition before engaging with them. That relationship engagement should be well before they blow. We do not need to wait for England to recognise a player before we do.

I remember when Dele Alli came on trial from League one MK Dons to Liverpool. I know then he was exceptional quality. Well within months he was at Tottenham and then the England National team straight literally from leagues 1.

I will ask you to look at Tega Onomah video clips and tell me where you project he will be in the next few months.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:09pm On Nov 18, 2017
forgiveness:

What role did Sone Aluko played in the 2012/2013 sesson? Anwers simple question first.
He mostly played as a SS. Only played 5 games as a CF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:10pm On Nov 18, 2017
forgiveness:

I don't know but it his sister rejected Nigeria after she saw the way we mistreated her brother.
You can lie for Africa enh. Eniola started playing for England in 2004 while his younger brother started with Eagles Flying in 2009.

So how is your statement above on point?

How did Eniola turn down the chance to play for Nigeria on the bases that Sone was badly treated by Nigeria? Abi she sees things in the future

You don't have to window dress facts to pass your message. Please be factual and truthful in your opinions/analysis.

Eniola Aluko
Eniola Aluko (born 21 February 1987) is an English footballer who plays for Chelsea Ladies of the FA WSL as a forward. She made 102 appearances for the England national team from 2004–2016 and competed at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup in China, 2009 UEFA Women's Euro, 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany, 2013 UEFA Women's Euro, and 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, she represented Great Britain.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eniola_Aluko

Aluko was named in the squad for the Nigeria under 20 national football team for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt. He played in games against Venezuela, Spain and Tahiti.

Aluko was called up to the Nigerian national team for a friendly against the Republic of Ireland on 29 May 2009, an offer which with the support of his family he chose to accept.

He made his full international debut in the starting eleven, forcing the Irish goalkeeper to save his 40-yard lobbed free kick and playing the first 61 minutes of the game.

In April 2010, he was named in the provisional Nigeria squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, but failed to make the final cut.

He was finally called up by former Nigerian coach Stephen Keshi and therefore has a chance to add to his one cap against Republic of Ireland in May 2009 after he represented England at various age-group levels.

He was brought into the squad to face Namibia and Malawi in the World Cup Qualifiers in the month of June 2012, but was an unused sub for both games.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_under-20_football_team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2017
Abeg who knows the name of the Spurs player that played in friendlies in Siasia's Olympics team. I think he played on loan at Rangers...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
I totally agree with you. I think Onyekuru will be the most instrumental as a Left Wing Back for us in the WC if he's a half effective defensively.

Peeps sha want onyekuru to enter starting line up,even if na to bench ezenwa grin grin grin,

Realistically,D guys chance of making it to d world cup is just 3-5percent smiley,with d way things re evolving. Most esp if ISAAC SUCCESS AND SEREREN BAZEE starts playing fully,cos RORH fancies both players frm d interviews I av seen,most esp ISAAC SUCCESS.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2017
QPR 1-2 Aston Villa
Josh Onomah hits the bar

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Lokomotive Plovdiv lost to Bulgarian champs, Ludogorets, 0-3 at home.
LB Musa Muhammed was on from start to finish. He was cautioned.
I hope he's with Ludo and not the other team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2017
Icon79:
I don't know what league you've been watching but Iwobi actually played a decent amount of games last season. Yes, he struggled to get games towards the ending of last season but by mid-season he was getting a decent amount of play time. As a matter of fact, [/b]it got to a stage where the British pundits were blaming him to OX being on the bench.[b]

If you have the time to search this particular thread, you'll find where we discussed that subject. I was one of the people who argued that the pundits were trying to unnecessarily blame Iwobi because he doesn't play the same position with the OX.

O pari

Yeah I remember this. Ian Wright complained of Iwobi benching him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2017
Icon79:
I don't know what league you've been watching but Iwobi actually played a decent amount of games last season. Yes, he struggled to get games towards the ending of last season but by mid-season he was getting a decent amount of play time. As a matter of fact, it got to a stage where the British pundits were blaming him to OX being on the bench.

O pari

If you go back further you will see where I said that the Ox was considerably ahead of him. Some castigated my view.

My final judgement call was judge my analysis by how much will be offered for both of them in the summer transfer window. That window has come and gone and the Ox is at Liverpool after rejecting crazy money to go to Chelsea. How many offers for Iwobi

Pundits talk is of no consequence and us very fickle at best. Talk to recruitment, coaches, and managers you get a completely different view.

TV pundit talk is better but quite emotive by former players but not substantive.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
QPR 1-2 Aston Villa
Josh Onomah hits the bar

Baba e no dey go anywhere grin,forget bar grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2017
I've forgotten his name. dribbles a lot. He was compared to Okocha.. will modify when I remember
I think he's moved to Slovakia or so

Modified
Nathan Oduwa? Moved to Slovenia

edi287:
Abeg who knows the name of the Spurs player that played in friendlies in Siasia's Olympics team. I think he played on loan at Rangers...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2017
lol.. the opposite is the case.

MetalJigsaw:
I hope he's with Ludo and not the other team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:24pm On Nov 18, 2017
elyte89:

Peeps sha want onyekuru to enter starting line up,even if na to bench ezenwa grin grin grin,

Realistically,D guys chance of making it to d world cup is just 3-5percent smiley,with d way things re evolving. Most esp if ISAAC SUCCESS AND SEREREN BAZEE starts playing fully,cos RORH fancies both players frm d interviews I av seen,most esp ISAAC SUCCESS.
And you sha want Isaac Success to enter the starting line-up even if to bench Ighalo. As it stands, Onyekuru stands a far better chance of going to the World Cup than success cos it's not about name or past performance. Onyekuru has been consistent in posting top quality performances. So what's the basis for inviting Isaac over Onyekuru? Rohr likes Success?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:26pm On Nov 18, 2017
Maybe you have not been following my posts. I've always been for relationship building and not waiting till they blow. However, it seemed you were making an argument that they are good for the Super Eagles right away. That's the notion I'm tackling.

Modified
I will check his videos.

komekn:

Actually that's a problem.

Please check my other comments on the quality of the Championship and League 1.

If you wait for these players to become front page news and hot property. Then we have failed COMPREHENSIVELY.

We should not wait for that level of recognition before engaging with them. That relationship engagement should be well before they blow. We do not need to wait for England to recognise a player before we do.

I remember when Dele Alli came on trial from League one MK Dons to Liverpool. I know then he was exceptional quality. Well within months he was at Tottenham and then the England National team straight literally from leagues 1.

I will ask you to look at Tega Onomah video clips and tell me where you project he will be in the next few months.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) ... (16143) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12large1, Meliforme, AndSunGorilla, Astrid4(m), chuks404, semid4lyfe(m), 2innocent(m), robosky02(m), Odunayaw(m), KanielOutis92 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.