Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,705 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11640231 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) ... (16142) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:29pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
I've forgotten his name. dribbles a lot. He was compared to Okocha.. will modify when I remember
I think he's moved to Slovakia or so

Modified
Nathan Oduwa? Moved to Slovenia

Yeah him. I always mix him up with Onomah. I had high hopes for him...see how he's almost fizzled out
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

And you sha want Isaac Success to enter the starting line-up even if to bench Ighalo. As it stands, Onyekuru stands a far better chance of going to the World Cup than success cos it's not about name or past performance. Onyekuru has been consistent in posting top quality performances. So what's the basis for inviting Isaac over Onyekuru? Rohr likes Success?

I would answer u from dt question ROHR likes success?

In every team,so players re playing or sitting on d bench, not because of deir quality, but because of natural preference, this scenario is everywhere in a team and rorh is not an exception cos he would av soft spot for some players,if not for injury,talent wise who's onyekuru beside Isaac success? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:34pm On Nov 18, 2017
Let me post this again because I think it's fitting in this instance:

Mickael2 (insert komekn here), like most football analysts, I think you're underestimating the level of Nigerian players due to the football clubs they play or do not play for. A few years ago I published an article in a Naija daily regarding a peculiar Nigerian perspectives in football.

Take this for instance, when the Nigerian U-23 team lined up at the China Olympics soccer event final, the profile of the players could not have been more different from their Argentine counterparts:

At CD Argentina had Ezekiel Garay of Real Madrid, Nigeria had Dele Adeleye from the bench of dutch basement club Sparta Rotterdam. Just over a year ago, he was at Shooting Stars, oscillating between Division 1 and 2.

At LB, with the responsibility of marking the dreaded Leo Messi; yes Lionel Messi of Barcelona, was Chibuzor Okonkwo from Bayelsa United, a right footed player converted to LB.

In CM, where Argentina had Riquelme, Gago and Mascherano, arguably the best DM in the world at that time, Nigeria presented Ebenezer Ajilore of Mydjtilland and from the bench at Sparta, Sanni Kaita. A few years ago, Ajilore plied his trade at Ebiede Babes, a Lagos youth club.

But as the game unfolded, the confidence of the Nigerian players and the cautious approach their opponents showed, belied the reputation and CV of Argentina's players.

This effectively proved two things, if you can believe it:

(i) that the club status of the Nigerian players does not accurately reflect their real quality; and that

(ii) a new measure is urgently required to determine the quality of our players; one that is not entirely dependent on the judgment of European club managers whose philosophy of the game and needs, vis a vis their clubs, may not necessarily be in alignment with the development of the average Nigerian player, or the SE.

O pari

komekn:

If you go back further you will see where I said that the Ox was considerably ahead of him. Some castigated my view.

My final judgement call was judge my analysis by how much will be offered for both of them in the summer transfer window. That window has come and gone and the Ox is at Liverpool after rejecting crazy money to go to Chelsea. How many offers for Iwobi

Pundits talk is of no consequence and us very fickle at best. Talk to recruitment, coaches, and managers you get a completely different view.

TV pundit talk is better but quite emotive by former players but not substantive.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:37pm On Nov 18, 2017
Thank you! Just a few years ago, Pep Guardiola confessed that Ike Uche alone totally outplayed the entire Barca squad.

Bottom line, out boys are better than the football clubs they play for. Out players are underrated and undervalued in Europe. There are no two ways about it. Hence, I pray and hope that we do very well in the World Cup because that's one way to increase the value of our players.

O pari

edi287:

Yeah I remember this. Ian Wright complained of Iwobi benching him.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2017
Some Spurs fans actually cried that they let him go.
He should not have left for Slovenia though. let me check his stats.

He's full of dribbling. Really talented from the videos I've seen of him.

edi287:

Yeah him. I always mix him up with Onomah. I had high hopes for him...see how he's almost fizzled out

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:40pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. the opposite is the case.
,thats not good for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2017
komekn:

A good coach is on the hunt for better players and is never satisfied.

The quest for excellence is about continous improvement not about contentment with what you have.

That's the difference between top class and average.

At the bolded, this is the same reason why the English team is trash and can never win any major tournament.

Every year, the team is littered with "one season wonder" players who will fizzle out completely the next year. No cohesion, no team spirit, no understanding, no continuity... Nothing! Just 11 "hot" players running around aimlessly like headless chickens without bite. I mean, where the fuvcking hell is Townsend?

I am sorry but with all the hype of premiership their 3 lions is still shiit,... I am sorry, but with all your informed and knowledgeable analysis, your team mentality is still naive,... Both you and the 3 lions have a major problem which is LACK OF TEAM COHESIVENESS!

The problem is you both don't just realize this yet, and I am sorry to say that so long as you hold that myopic view at bolded, you won't still realize this problem even if it hits you in the face.

I mean, so left to you, you will keep changing your team with new faces all the time?... I don't get it, where do you drop team cohesion and understanding?... Regardless of how hot, good players are, they must gel, blend and understand each other very well in order to be called a team.
That's why it's called a freaking team's sport.

Changing or bringing in new players everytime will never augur well for the team's success. Too many good cooks spoil the food.

A classic case of a team successful with long time blend of players is Germany.. They won the last world Cup with players who the bulk of them(about 90%) have been playing together since 2010, and they won it 2014. Are you saying that since 2010-2014 they were no better players to those they already had in the team?

A classic case of a shiity team with a shiity mentality/believe that "one season wonders" must play for the team is England and what have been their results?.... Only a world cup title to their name which they even only could win when they hosted it, even at that, it was freaking almost 60 years ago.

The same mentality is what you have (atleast from your disposition here) which I guess its because you are based in the UK. Please and please, the number of SE players tested so far it's enough. What Rohr should work on now perfecting tactics, formations, team spirit and understanding, thats all biko!!

Let's stop all these bickerings and get to work, the time is short!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 9:48pm On Nov 18, 2017
elyte89:

Peeps sha want onyekuru to enter starting line up,even if na to bench ezenwa grin grin grin,

Realistically,D guys chance of making it to d world cup is just 3-5percent smiley,with d way things re evolving. Most esp if ISAAC SUCCESS AND SEREREN BAZEE starts playing fully,cos RORH fancies both players frm d interviews I av seen,most esp ISAAC SUCCESS.

HAhahahahah Ogbeni it looks like you are backward in terms of latest happenings in football, onyekuru was invited to the super eagle qualifier n played against algeria if u dont know, his chances r like 50percent.

For ur information he just scored a wining goal today and has gotten 8goals n 2assist in 14 matches, if he continues that way his chances will be up by 80percent, better than struggling Isaac success, musa, bazee, even mosses simon, so get ur facts right.

Try and watch him u go confirm am, no time to wait for people that start having game time, when someone is already sharp and ready to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:49pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Some Spurs fans actually cried that they let him go.
He should not have left for Slovenia though. let me check his stats.

He's full of dribbling. Really talented from the videos I've seen of him.

Yeah its odd he didn't move to a championship or even a league 1 side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:50pm On Nov 18, 2017
komekn:

I did not speak to Tega Onomah recently.

I would ask you to indulge me and watch Tega Onomah video on YouTube. Then tell me what you think please.

The issue for Nigerian origin players is one word RELATIONSHIP without relationship getting these boys will continue to be problematic.

you said the same thing only for Tammy to rub it on our face....

be honest with yourself...this boys are still hoping to play for the 3 lions someday..so going after them now..gonna likely led to embarrassment.

the ones who really wanna play for us should contact rohr....let him know of their availability or better still through other players already in the super eagles like Iwobi,Moses,nacho etc....

to be true...none of them will make it to Russia....so them playing for Nigeria...gonna be after the world cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:54pm On Nov 18, 2017
realpoacher:

At the bolded, this is the same reason why the English team is trash and can never win any major tournament.

Every year, the team is littered with "one season wonder" players who will fizzle out completely the next year. No cohesion, no team spirit, no understanding, no continuity... Nothing! Just 11 "hot" players running around aimlessly like headless chickens without bite. I mean, where the fuvcking hell is Townsend?

I am sorry but with all the hype of premiership their 3 lions is still shiit,... I am sorry, but with all your informed and knowledgeable analysis, your team mentality is still naive,... Both you and the 3 lions have a major problem which is LACK OF TEAM COHESIVENESS!

The problem is you both don't just realize this yet, and I am sorry to say that so long as you hold that myopic view at bolded, you won't still realize this problem even if it hits you in the face.

I mean, so left to you, you will keep changing your team with new faces all the time?... I don't get it, where do you drop team cohesion and understanding?... Regardless of how hot, good players are, they must gel, blend and understand each other very well in order to be called a team.

Changing or bringing in new players everytime will never augur well for the team's success. Too many good cooks spoil the food.

A classic case of a team successful with long time blend of players is Germany.. They won the last world Cup with players who the bulk of them(about 90%) have been playing together since 2010, and they won it 2014. Are you saying that since 2010-2014 they were no better players to those they already had in the team?

A classic case of a shiity team with a shiity mentality/believe that "one season wonders" must play for the team is England and what have been their results?.... Only a world cup title to their name which they even only could win when they hosted it, even at that, it was freaking almost 60 years ago.

The same mentality is what you have (atleast from your disposition here) which I guess its because you are based in the UK. Please and please, the number of SE players tested so far it's enough. What Rohr should work on now perfecting tactics, formations, team spirit and understanding, thats all biko!!

Word.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 9:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
elyte89:

In every team,so players re playing or sitting on d bench, not because of deir quality, but because of natural preference, this scenario is everywhere in a team and rorh is not an exception cos he would av soft spot for some players,if not for injury,talent wise who's onyekuru beside Isaac success? grin

Oga sentiments and nepotism doesnt play football, when things turns sideways the coach will suffer it, remember rohr used to call up bazee even though he sits on the bench but now he doesnt which means bazeee have to work hard to meet rohrs expectation.

Or u forgot he prefers starting Iheanacho as top nine before, when he wasnt getting d result he kept him on the bench, yes coaches have prefrence, but they also know talent wen they see it and u cant hide it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Good he is willing to leave England, but Slovenia? no.
Well it appears he is at least getting game time and doing well.

edi287:

Yeah its odd he didn't move to a championship or even a league 1 side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:59pm On Nov 18, 2017
realpoacher:

God bless you my brother...
I just don't understand...him..even a baby will not cry fuss the way some of them here do....

moreover the players he is even canvassing for.....their inclusion in the super eagles set up ..still wanna play for England...they've not made up their mind yet on representing the super eagles...
only him claim to have meet them one on one...and gotten a word from them...

which only God knows how true it is....because the same player will give us Tammy treatment should we make approach now.....

his knowledge of football is only restricted to England....sometimes I wonder why can't he canvass for same championship players for the 3 lions....may be they're not good enough and if they're not good enough for the 3 lions then they're definitely not good enough for the super eagles.....

I remember how he downplayed the Dutch league just to made ridicule of ebuehi call up....only to eat his words after the lad dazzling display against Argentina....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:03pm On Nov 18, 2017
realpoacher:

Yessss, you just nailed it, when I see people throwing names around here I'm sometimes forced to check maybe the player(s) is messi in disguise, really what is the special thing onomah wants to bring that our present midfield options don't have? I've see aluko play several times, he's at best average. struggled in the epl, nothing special with reading, presently what we need now is a back up for Mikel, we can invite aluko but some peeps here are making it look like we are not inviting our best players. all these average UK boys that can't even get a contract with a decent epl team. mtcheew

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:04pm On Nov 18, 2017
if you noticed, Chidozie Awaziem was the man to mark Neymar today, and he did pretty well.
Awaziem also gives us options as RB.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:18pm On Nov 18, 2017
elyte89:

You are projecting your preference on to Rohr. Isaac got invited in May this year for the camp we had that time but he was injured. So how did you decipher that Rohr likes him? You are simply projecting your own preference for Success on to Rohr. I understand but still doesn't mean Rohr likes him.
Before injury what did Isaac do at Watford? Let me call komekn to come answer you. He will tell you better about that.

If Onyekuru has nothing going for him, he has consistency.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:21pm On Nov 18, 2017
Hello guys, I need your picks between Cyril Dessers and Paul Onuachu of Mitgylland FC.

Which player do you think is the better striker ? I've never seen them play before

Click Like for Cyril Dressers and Share for Paul Onuachu. Thanks

seems this Dessers is a Messi to be compared to Paul

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:25pm On Nov 18, 2017
No one seems to be talking about Samuel Adegbenro. Dude packs a lot of shots in his boots. He has got eyes for goals too.

It is not just enough to arrange squard for Russia 2018 World Cup alone. We should also be thinking post 2018 World Cup.

Maybe we should try out Samuel Adegbenro of Rosenborg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFfIwUk5bks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLzCnas_uc

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:28pm On Nov 18, 2017
terzurum5:
No one seems to be talking about Samuel Adegbenro. Dude packs a lot of shots in his boots. He has got eyes for goals too.

It is not just enough to arrange squard for Russia 2018 World Cup alone. We should also be thinking post 2018 World Cup.

Who should he displace in the SE?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Who should he displace in the SE?

Nwakaeme

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 10:35pm On Nov 18, 2017
terzurum5:

av seen him play and he is good, plays from d wings for rosenborg, I think we av so much competition their.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:36pm On Nov 18, 2017
realpoacher:

I've asked komekn twice: do you know how difficult it is to build a team? Curiously enough he never answered me, not even once.

In the name of excellence we should keep changing the team and bringing in new faces. When are we gon stop? You want excellent but you not thinking stability. Then be prepared to be an excellent failure.

The bolded is all that Rohr needs to do. 90% effort should be concentrated on tactics, cohesion, working to strengthen our weaknesses and perfect our strengths. Just a little window should be opened for max three players to break into the team. Cos already we have the core of the team and even those who would break in are not totally unknown. They've since been in the frame one way or the other
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:41pm On Nov 18, 2017
Questence:

Nwakaeme
Alright, haven't Watched him though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
realpoacher:

One chilled bottle of Amstel Malta for you sir grin grin

You totally said what has been on my mind all this while...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 10:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Hello guys, I need your picks between Cyril Dessers mad Paul Onuachu of Mitgylland FC.

Which player do you think is the better player? I've never seen them play.

I will go for Paul he is scoring and assisting more often, not only last season but this season also, so he has shown consistency.

pls I will like u to bring us there starts and compare both thanks.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
sontoly:

Oga sentiments and nepotism doesnt play football, when things turns sideways the coach will suffer it, remember rohr used to call up bazee even though he sits on the bench but now he doesnt which means bazeee have to work hard to meet rohrs expectation.

Or u forgot he prefers starting Iheanacho as top nine before, when he wasnt getting d result he kept him on the bench, yes coaches have prefrence, but they also know talent wen they see it and u cant hide it.

Thank you @the Iheanacho example. Like bawo? Yes he's human and he'd like and have preference for some players but Rohr likes performance better. You perform, you keep a place in the team. You perform better you keep your place in the first eleven. Don't be surprised if you see him start Iheanacho and Iwobi next match to see if that performance against Argentina was for real or a fluke.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:45pm On Nov 18, 2017
sontoly:

av seen him play and he is good, plays from d wings for rosenborg, I think we av so much competition their.
We can as well try him in the AM. Who knows if he comes good. Not necessarily for 2018 World Cup but post 2018 events.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:50pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

I've asked komekn twice: do you know how difficult it is to build a team? Curiously enough he never answered me, not even once.

In the name of excellence we should keep changing the team and bringing in new faces. When are we gon stop? You want excellent but you not thinking stability. Then be prepared to be an excellent failure.

The bolded is all that Rohr needs to do. 90% effort should be concentrated on tactics, cohesion, working to strengthen our weaknesses and perfect our strengths. Just a little window should be opened for max three players to break into the team. Cos already we have the core of the team and even those who would break in are not totally unknown. They've since been in the frame one way or the other

TBH, some of these foreign born fans talk as if they wanna impose players on Rohr just for the world cup.

What about after the world cup??
Will these players be available for AFCON or will they give us the Kevin Prince Boateng treatment too??
Are they planning to play for the SE with passion(even if the SE is their second choice) or just to boost their career

Let's relax pls... some players in the current SE team are past their prime already... The current youngsters can consider themselves as their successors...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:51pm On Nov 18, 2017
sontoly:

I will go for Paul he is scoring and assisting more often, not only last season but this season also, so he has shown consistency.

pls I will like u to bring us there starts and compare both thanks.
Noted. But that will be easier for me if you click the like button on the post. So please do.. Like for Dressers and Share for Paul
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 10:52pm On Nov 18, 2017
terzurum5:

We can as well try him in the AM. Who knows if he comes good. Not necessarily for 2018 World Cup but post 2018 events.

exactly, competitions make one better, but we shldnt be considering players only for worldcup, like u said post worldcup also, he may turn out better than what we have on ground.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:54pm On Nov 18, 2017
Bursaspor 0-0 Goztepe

William Troost-Ekong Whoscored's MOTM

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) ... (16142) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ppogbae, tsquare299(m), sojious, bennie1980(m), Pidginwhisper, lbrichman2, AndSunGorilla and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.