Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,472 members, 7,836,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11789731 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) (2175) (2176) (2177) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:29pm On Nov 19, 2017
nelszx:

He didn't make match day squad (not listed)
It w be better for him to get a loan in January to any LA liga 2 clubside to save his position in the national team,having a playing time is important for goalkeeper cos he came into the team due his two appearance for Deportivo this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
neighy:
na so we take dey sabi youth and old men
Very soon you go join our league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:34pm On Nov 19, 2017
Joebie:
Is it a year thing or a season thing?

Last season's performances would be used to determine the winner for this year's award.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:42pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
Ogbeche must be truly young then since 2002 still playing.

Pls is Ryan Sanusi not a Nigerian,see some of his games, quite solid.

Ryan is half Nigerian, half Belgian, a cousin to Moussa Dembele of Tottenham.

Na forgiveness guy be that o, he's been hammering for his call up.

The guy is good, just that we have too many personnel in the midfield currently.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
komekn:

In any forward thinking organisation there is continous development. To increase thier competitive advantage.

Stability over continous improvement means stagnation which in turn will lead to mediocrity. Stability as you put it and in this context is essentially the enthronement of mediocrity.

I have had involvement with a good number of clubs in the EPL and Championship. I have never heard of the word stability over continous consistent improvement and development.

Improvements are always welcome in any organization that is interested in growing.

However change is something that should come gradually, not rapidly, else you upset the balance you've been trying to build.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

Ryan is half Nigerian, half Belgian, a cousin to Moussa Dembele of Tottenham.

Na forgiveness guy be that o, he's been hammering for his call up.

The guy is good, just that we have too many personnel in the midfield currently.
OK but many players in the midfield? Why Nwakili invited?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
Hope is eligible to play for Nigeria

Yes..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

To say the very least I hope they get bashed then.

No single chills you got mate. gringrin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:10pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
It w be better for him to get a loan in January to any LA liga 2 clubside to save his position in the national team,having a playing time is important for goalkeeper cos he came into the team due his two appearance for Deportivo this season.

He'd remain at deportivo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:14pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
OK but many players in the midfield? Why Nwakili invited?

I wish I can answer that question on behalf of Rorh.

The only reason, I can come up with is, there were uncertainties concerning the fitness of Ogu and Agu, and there needed to be replacements.

He still has to switch though, cos he represented Belgium at the U-19 level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

He'd remain at deportivo.
Good to remain at Deportivo but i want to see him in action week in week out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
Joebie:
Some Spurs fans actually cried that they let him go.
He should not have left for Slovenia though. let me check his stats.

He's full of dribbling. Really talented from the videos I've seen of him.

He's still 21. Slovenia is such an obscure place for one with his talent to be wasting away, his agent should get to work and get him out of there as fast as possible.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:22pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
Good to remain at Deportivo but i want to see him in action week in week out.

Language is still his problem.

He's considered a 3rd choice, a young keeper who's still learning. Asking for a loan out of the club would come across as premature.

My fear is he not getting enough games he deserves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:22pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

I wish I can answer that question on behalf of Rorh.

The only reason, I can come up with is, there were uncertainties concerning the fitness of Ogu and Agu, and there needed to be replacements.

He still has to switch though, cos he represented Belgium at the U-19 level.
If Rohr really need him or he is ready which i cannot say,nothing special about switch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:27pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

Language is still his problem.

He's considered a 3rd choice, a young keeper who's still learning. Asking for a loan out of the club would come across as premature.

My fear is he not getting enough games he deserves.
My man i don't buy the language barrier stuff,very unfortunate that the coach who believed in him was sacked.

As you said not getting enough games is not good for him even Super eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:31pm On Nov 19, 2017
okay and is the decision made by a board or voting from certain individuals?

junnyjake:

Last season's performances would be used to determine the winner for this year's award.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2017
nelszx:

Very hopeful but they are playing a "Benevento team" in the league grin

Yes this is not ur older brother's malaga

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2017
ChrisKels:

calm down, his time will come and it only depends on how fast he learns spanish

It will come faster if they lose so i'll go with that prayer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2017
Kog45:
If Rohr really need him or he is ready which i cannot say,nothing special about switch.

Nothing special really. He's not under Rorh's radar

I believe so much in squad depth, look at our match against France in 2017, I looked at the bench and I almost cried. What da heck!

Look at the depth of the German and French squad. These guys can assemble 4 strong teams. I would want same for the eagles Same well.

The personnel are there in abundance it's left to us to do the harvesting.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:38pm On Nov 19, 2017
@ bolded, SO TRUE
komekn:

The question I will use to qualify your proposition.

How far have our youth players progressed over the years We get to very high accolades at youth level that does not transfer to professional development.

Look at the that 2005 team that included Mikel. Consider where the majority of Argentinian players have progressed to over the past 12 years and then see where our players have got too.

That observation is reflective in all our youth teams but less so since 2013. The advent of MRI scanning.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 1:43pm On Nov 19, 2017
nelszx:

But Cameroon drew how does that mean they overtake us on the rankings......I'm not understanding shocked

Matches within 12months is x3 weight
Previous 13-24 months x2 weight,
Previous 25-36 months x1 weight.
That means older matches are dropped if beyond ranking period. Probably, our match points expunged is more than Cameroon's.

Newer matches are calculated base on relative strength of respective teams on FIFA ranking X confederation of opposition(Africa is lower than Europe for instance) X nature of match (worldcup>nationscup>friendly) X outcome (win>winViaPenalty>draw).

<modified>
If you look at the ranking and teams that have qualified, you'll agree with me that the ranking is fair enough. Lowest ranked team to qualify is 63. Highest ranked teams that missed out is because of restrictions in number of teams from their respective confederations.
Ranking is fair and reflective. There are some issues with it though: if you're sharp you can manipulate yourself up in the ranking by:
-playing easier oppositions in Europe that you're sure of winning.
- playing fewer matches as practicable.
Etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:43pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

Nothing special really. He's not under Rorh's radar

I believe so much in squad depth, look at our match against France in 2017, I looked at the bench and I almost cried. What da heck!

Look at the depth of the German and French squad. These guys can assemble 4 strong teams. I would want same for the eagles Same well.

The personnel are there in abundance it's left to us to do the harvesting.
Yes not even for 2018 WC but post 2018.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:47pm On Nov 19, 2017
I agree with you to some extent. But let's also consider that "small" teams (teams that can't even boast of players in Europe) prior to now, have also given us problems. How about applying the same judgement in the other direction?

Icon79:
Let me post this again because I think it's fitting in this instance:

Mickael2 (insert komekn here), like most football analysts, I think you're underestimating the level of Nigerian players due to the football clubs they play or do not play for. A few years ago I published an article in a Naija daily regarding a peculiar Nigerian perspectives in football.

Take this for instance, when the Nigerian U-23 team lined up at the China Olympics soccer event final, the profile of the players could not have been more different from their Argentine counterparts:

At CD Argentina had Ezekiel Garay of Real Madrid, Nigeria had Dele Adeleye from the bench of dutch basement club Sparta Rotterdam. Just over a year ago, he was at Shooting Stars, oscillating between Division 1 and 2.

At LB, with the responsibility of marking the dreaded Leo Messi; yes Lionel Messi of Barcelona, was Chibuzor Okonkwo from Bayelsa United, a right footed player converted to LB.

In CM, where Argentina had Riquelme, Gago and Mascherano, arguably the best DM in the world at that time, Nigeria presented Ebenezer Ajilore of Mydjtilland and from the bench at Sparta, Sanni Kaita. A few years ago, Ajilore plied his trade at Ebiede Babes, a Lagos youth club.

But as the game unfolded, the confidence of the Nigerian players and the cautious approach their opponents showed, belied the reputation and CV of Argentina's players.

This effectively proved two things, if you can believe it:

(i) that the club status of the Nigerian players does not accurately reflect their real quality; and that

(ii) a new measure is urgently required to determine the quality of our players; one that is not entirely dependent on the judgment of European club managers whose philosophy of the game and needs, vis a vis their clubs, may not necessarily be in alignment with the development of the average Nigerian player, or the SE.

O pari

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
junnyjake:

He's still 21. Slovenia is such an obscure place for one with his talent to be wasting away, his agent should get to work and get him out of there as fast as possible.

He's all dribble no end result. Same issue with Musa yahaya.

Coaches these days prefer results to skills. Even senior man Ronaldo when asked why he's not been displaying skills like before responded that he decided to focus on scoring goals rather than skills.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:09pm On Nov 19, 2017
Ike Uche scores today

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:11pm On Nov 19, 2017
Questence:

He's all dribble no end result. Same issue with Musa yahaya.

Coaches these days prefer results to skills. Even senior man Ronaldo when asked why he's not been displaying skills like before responded that he decided to focus on scoring goals rather than skills.

musa yahaya has end product
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 19, 2017
Carl Ikeme

Nura Abdullahi

The German defender (Not mentioning his name for obvious reason)

Joel Obi

Isaac Success

Victor Osimhen

If these 6 guys make it and are fully fit/in top form, we will have a monster squad.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
maidaboi:

Check his stats. He has had only 1 goal for Porto B this season. And zero assist.

The coach has even tried him as both right and left midfielder. No result. Now he has become a bench material.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 2:37pm On Nov 19, 2017
Rohr should focus on;
1. Goalkeeping department. Try out Alampasu and Ajiboye. It seems Uzoho has caught his attention. That's good. Away with Akpeyi and Ezenwa
2. Defence department. The Oyinbo wall looks shaky of late. I don't trust Omeruo. Let's try to lure 2 German youth internationals. Already, Echiejile knows his place is under threat. Brian Idowu and Tyrone Ebuehi are making us proud. Ola Aina has to sit up if he must be in Russia
3. Midfield department. Etebo might not be in Russia. No thanks to his height and low playing club. All eyes are now on Ogu. It seems Rohr prefers Agu to Etebo. Let's introduce more skilful wingers in this department.
4. Attack department. Let's try out Onyekuru and Kayode then bring in Desser. Before I can conclude. Ahmed Musa is a topic for another day but since we have Iwobi, Victor Moses, Simon Victor, Ighalo, no wahalla
5. Team bonding is another issue. Use friendlies for that.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:37pm On Nov 19, 2017
mank1234:

Matches within 12months is x3 weight
Previous 13-24 months x2 weight,
Previous 25-36 months x1 weight.
That means older matches are dropped if beyond ranking period. Probably, our match points expunged is more than Cameroon's.

Newer matches are calculated base on relative strength of respective teams on FIFA ranking X confederation of opposition(Africa is lower than Europe for instance) X nature of match (worldcup>nationscup>friendly) X outcome (win>winViaPenalty>draw).

<modified>
If you look at the ranking and teams that have qualified, you'll agree with me that the ranking is fair enough. Lowest ranked team to qualify is 63. Highest ranked teams that missed out is because of restrictions in number of teams from their respective confederations.
Ranking is fair and reflective. There are some issues with it though: if you're sharp you can manipulate yourself up in the ranking by:
-playing easier oppositions in Europe that you're sure of winning.
- playing fewer matches as practicable.
Etc
Too controversial
that's why I will never take this FIFA ranking of a thing serious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:40pm On Nov 19, 2017
Questence:
Carl Ikeme

Nura Abdullahi

The German defender (Not mentioning his name for obvious reason)

Joel Obi

Isaac Success

Victor Osimhen

If these 6 guys make it and are fully fit/in top form, we will have a monster squad.
Osimhen , is he a starter at his club? How many goals has he bagged

...Success too

Joel Obi is too injury prone

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 19, 2017
maidaboi:

You should also note that this is the guy he is competing with for the RM position. José Diogo Dalot.

The guy has had 4 assists and 3 goals this season.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2171) (2172) (2173) (2174) (2175) (2176) (2177) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ihenzy(m), Kundistrict(m), COOL10(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.