Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11654205 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2184) (2185) (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:46pm On Nov 20, 2017
Kog45:
Yes Finidi was home based player,made his debut as a substitute for fumbling Eguavoen against Burkina Faso in the first half and made Yekini to score 4 goals in that match.I remember eagles track suit trousers needed to be cut cos the shorts were left behind in the hotel.

Finidi a home based shut the door on Tijani Babangida who was already a professional with Roda JC.

Amuneke was with Zamalek and Ikpeba find it difficult to break into XI

Richard Owubokiri a great striker and one of the best in Europe couldn't make Eagles

The same thing Mike Obiku of Feyenord despite his goal scoring find it difficult to displace the likes of Siasia, Amokachie to talk of big goon Yekini.

Chris Ohenhen a solid striker with Compostela in LA liga but couldn't make the team.

I thought Reuben Agbola was also part of that team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2017
komekn:

I was in Nigeria this period.

I also know that our leagues were not depleted or corrupted with money politics, etc.

As it stands our players have one objective to leave Nigeria even if it means going to Vietnam or Quatar.

In the entire footballing history of Nigeria we have never had so many players outside the nation than at this time. There has been a complete PARADIGM SHIFT in football compared to the 1990 era.

So those comparison are no longer applicable.

Tings don change.
The French say plus ça change. The more things change, the more they remain the same.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

I thought Reuben Agbola was also part of that team?

In 1992 yes he was but he didn't make it to the world cup unfortunately in 1994.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2017
poseidonsaiz:

I know, right? I wonder who has attributes remotely close to that in the SE backline...?

... First timer by the way, been following for a while now.. I must say, am impressed with this thread.

You are welcome. We hope you do enjoy your stay.

Who is taking him round the house

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:50pm On Nov 20, 2017
Kog45:
Yes Finidi was home based player,made his debut as a substitute for fumbling Eguavoen against Burkina Faso in the first half and made Yekini to score 4 goals in that match.I remember eagles track suit trousers needed to be cut cos the shorts were left behind in the hotel.

Finidi a home based shut the door on Tijani Babangida who was already a professional with Roda JC.

Amuneke was with Zamalek and Ikpeba find it difficult to break into XI

Richard Owubokiri a great striker and one of the best in Europe couldn't make Eagles

The same thing Mike Obiku of Feyenord despite his goal scoring find it difficult to displace the likes of Siasia, Amokachie to talk of big goon Yekini.

Chris Ohenhen a solid striker with Compostela in LA liga but couldn't make the team.
Thanks Sire for the history lesson. You've helped me make my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Very true times have changed. But the fact is in 1994, there was a certain Richard Owubokiri in Portugal, John Salako in the EPL and Chris Armstrong who both declined to feature for us and where not in our world cup squad. Was our team in 1994 exceptional? Answer is a big resounding yes!!!!!!!

Fast forward to 2013, a home-based Oboabona, a young Omeruo benched Joseph Yobo!!! a home-based player Stephen Mba took the foreign based professional's slot Nosa Igiebor and stole the headlines in the Nations Cup finals. The established stars, IK Uche and Yobo had to stay happy on the bench. Our best player at that time Osaze wasn't even in the squad, yet we won the Nations Cup. Mikel assisted by the young Onazi outplayed the unplayable Yaya toure in midfield!!!! complemented with Drogba, Kolo Toure etc in the Ivorien team.

In conclusion sir, the more things change (times) the more they stay the same!!!!! Give us our backwater league players, so long as the team is successful, what else!!!!!
Ohhhhhh my my my. I wish nairaland has the dancing emoji. I didn't even read your excellent piece before I quoted the French proverb plus ça change to him. Unknown to me you had done so.
Thanks for reeling out recent facts.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 7:58pm On Nov 20, 2017
Kog45:
I don't know why you can't read the line very well before jumping in,some time is better to go back and read how discussion started than to just burst in,it has happened to me before,it's better so that you can have the clarity.

Did you see anyone saying Uzoho is not ahead,what we are saying is this the good performance of Uzoho w definitely give hope to Alampasu.

I don't want to talk on Spanish league division 3 and Portuguese division 3 cos both league are not better than NPFL,

I want Uzoho as Deportivo number 1 nothing more the same thing Alampasu as Farense number 1 so that we can have healthy rivalry.
all this pple sef mk any npfl team play with them make we see na. i know we have alot of untapped talents but i doubt any team in the npfl can beat them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 20, 2017
Mujtahida:

Ohhhhhh my my my. I wish nairaland has the dancing emoji. I didn't even read your excellent piece before I quoted the French proverb plus ça change to him. Unknown to me you had done so.
Thanks for reeling out recent facts.

Jah bless my barrister!!!!!! Plenty gbosa and palmi for you jare.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:59pm On Nov 20, 2017
komekn:

It is essentially a matter of preference.

Firstly, he is the most expensive midfielder in the World no argument. Then we can move to attributes, who is the best box to box midfielder in the World. My opinion is Pogba.

The players you mention have outstanding attributes suitable to particular system and style that is very technically astute.

Pogba is the new model of Yaya Toure for me can do everything.
Don't even go there, does Pogba score goals?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Correct and another said, the voice of the people is the voice of God!!! And there must be a reason why the person with the largest vote (and followership) always wins in a democracy (except for the US modification of Electoral votes grin)

We are all on the same side bro!!

Up Nigeria, Up Super Eagles!!!!

Jah bless

No tension, we are winning!!!!

Wait ooo. This is some strange shite going on. When I read him say that about the majority I wanted to cite the ancient roman maxim Vox Populi, Vox Dei (the voice of the people is the voice of God) to him but I felt I should free him. I scroll down and you just cited the proverb to him.
It's like you anticipate my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Jah bless my barrister!!!!!! Plenty gbosa and palmi for you jare.
It's all about the team. We just need them to do well. Once they do, no other consideration matter. One love
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2017
Mujtahida:

Wait ooo. This is some strange shite going on. When I read him say that about the majority I wanted to cite the ancient roman maxim Vox Populi, Vox Dei (the voice of the people is the voice of God) to him but I felt I should free him. I scroll down and you just cited the proverb to him.
It's like you anticipate my thoughts.

Haha!!! But I no sabi the Nissan Maxima wey you wan add join o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 8:13pm On Nov 20, 2017
Danielnino00:

Bro,can we save these kind of players for the future??

I mean there will still be a super eagles team after 2018 na..

We have many good players scattered across the world,but right now only 23 of them are heading to Russia.. the rest should keep doing their thing well and wait till after the world cup..

I'm very certain that the likes of the Nwakali brothers,Taiwo Awoniyi,Osimhen,Musa Muhammad, Dessrrs etc have a future with the super eagles...
He's good enough to be in the team now, he getting game in the Dutch first division. A journalist once said if he's good enough for a Dutch team then he's good enough for Nigeria, it's not as if we are rich on options with players of his skill set. If we say we are planning for the future special players like this guy should get involved for this World Cup even if on bench, then the next World Cup he's more confy, and the blending would be perfect.
He's getting games he's making a case, even those without games made the team, he doesn't need to start but he can make an impact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Joel Obi just came back from a very long injury when Keshi called him. He was not inform then but now he is in the form of his life. Let us take advantage of that by inviting him into the team.
and u r sure that he will continue to b inform of his life for at least one year?
we need players that will at least play for us nonstop for 2 or 3 years,that's how a strong team emerge and conquer,we cannot not continue keep changing players every time,we can only invite players who are far better than what we have in each positions.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:28pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Haha!!! But I no sabi the Nissan Maxima wey you wan add join o grin
Na ancient Romans jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2017
Emem Eduok scores

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

False!

Most of their players were homebased. They hardly at the time invite players from Europe.

Sarcasm brother!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

False!

Most of their players were homebased. They hardly at the time invite players from Europe.
understand sarcasm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:46pm On Nov 20, 2017
Napoleon55:
understand sarcasm

I did after posting it, but decided against modifying anyways. tHanks.
soetanoreoluwa:

Sarcasm brother!
Napoleon55:
understand sarcasm

I did after posting it, but decided against modifying anyways. tHanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

In 1992 yes he was but he didn't make it to the world cup unfortunately in 1994.

I think it had to do with unpaid bonuses, that made him reject further callups.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2017
komekn:

It is essentially a matter of preference.

Firstly, he is the most expensive midfielder in the World no argument. Then we can move to attributes, who is the best box to box midfielder in the World. My opinion is Pogba.

The players you mention have outstanding attributes suitable to particular system and style that is very technically astute.

Pogba is the new model of Yaya Toure for me can do everything.

You typed best midfielder in the World. Pogba is no where close. Box to Box? Come on, Luka Modric reigns king there. He is a bright young midfielder. Best is too big for him. The price tag is just inflated. He is not worth that in any way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

I think it had to do with unpaid bonuses, that made him reject further callups.

That might be true, Kog45 can confirm that as I honestly don't know. What I know is that after our loss to CIV at Abidjan during the world cup qualifiers, Reuben lost his place in the team and was dropped entirely. Siasia also lost his starting place to amokachie as well.

I stand to be corrected though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:02pm On Nov 20, 2017
elyte89:

DTS y I am different grin grin grin,we can't all head in d same direction grin grin grin

Anyway, if u notice my comments,I don't have time to praise any player, after u guys mite av done all d praise and worship grin on a player,most especially d non established ones,I wait after d real match games to make my own ascertions eida to praise or odawise

So many players have been hyped here,of all mentioned ever since i av been following Dis thread

Most new names craved/praised on dis thread b4 d real games havnt translate half of what it's been painted here#FACT

Abi?

What we all want is squad depth, we want players that would add quality to the team. As we can't depend solely on some set of players to always perform at optimum level. There can be injuries, loss of form.

If we are not proactive from now, when would be the best time? Or you want a repeat of the 2014 WC?

Nobody worship players here, we project how each player can fit in the team, what he has to offer the team, all these are as a result of we seeing these players play for their clubs. There can be some exaggerations, but that's how worse it gets.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:04pm On Nov 20, 2017
Peeps,aw fa with all dis 1980-94' histories grin grin grin

Shey we wan tell rohr say dem still dey "ball" ni grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2017
poseidonsaiz:

I know, right? I wonder who has attributes remotely close to that in the SE backline...?

... First timer by the way, been following for a while now.. I must say, am impressed with this thread.

Tottenham and Southampton have the most successful scouting programs in the EPL, they've really got eyes for stars.

Poch didn't make much signing this season, but with Sanchez, he got it right.

Welcome to the thread!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:18pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

That might be true, Kog45 can confirm that as I honestly don't know. What I know is that after our loss to CIV at Abidjan during the world cup qualifiers, Reuben lost his place in the team and was dropped entirely. Siasia also lost his starting place to amokachie as well.

I stand to be corrected though.

Yea..

You said you started following the eagles way back 70s.

How would you rate these players?

1. Segun Odegbami

2. Henry Nwosu

3. Etim Esin

4. Austin Okocha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2017
Super Eagles Technical Adviser is keen to get all the best possible legs to represent Nigeria at the Russia 2018 World Cup.
It is in this light that the Franco-German tactician has embarked on a scouting mission across Europe to see if he can get quality additions to his present team.
Rohr's first point of call is Germany where he is making an attempt to get Germany Youth International, Kevin Akpoguma to switch allegiance and play for Nigeria.
Akpoguma does his thing for Hoffenheim and Rohr was on hand to watch him against Eintracht Frankfurt over the weekend.
''I watched him play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for,'' Rohr told SWR.
''But he'll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colors of Nigeria and I'll call him in the next few days.''
Unfortunately, it is understood that Akpoguma may not be on the same page with Rohr as he looks more disposed waiting for his chance with Germany rather than jump ship to play for the Super Eagles.
When asked about Nigeria's new attempt to get him over, Akpoguma said: '' That honors me, of course, but I'm German, I was born here, so I should play for Germany too.''
Akpoguma has turned out for Germany at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:25pm On Nov 20, 2017
His debut was against Corsica now.

Ebuehi Patient For Eagles’ Starting Role

footballlive.ng - Source

Nov 20, 2017 9:38 AM

ADO Den Haag of Holland defender, Tyronne Ebuehi has declared that he is not in a hurry to get a starting role with the Super Eagles, as he wants to wait patiently for his time to come.

Though the former Dutch youth international has been a regular starter at his club in recent months, Ebuehi said he has no qualms with marking time on the Eagles’ bench, as he believes the right time would soon come when he would become a regular in the starting eleven.

After enacting a game-changing performance as a second half substitute in last week’s 4-2 spanking of Argentina, Ebuehi said he was happy to finally get his debut for the Nigerian national team, but also disclosed that he knew before kick-off that he was not going to start the game in Krasnodar, Russia.

Interestingly, Ebuehi followed up his impressive performance for Nigeria against Argentina in Tuesday’s friendly with another solid display for his Dutch side ADO Den Haag.

Ebuehi started from the right side of defence for his team and lasted the entire duration as they secure a big 4-1 win over Heracles in the Dutch League popularly referred to as the Eredivisie.

He was his usual self as he dominated the right side of the pitch by alternating his defensive duties with constant forays upfront to join the attack when his team are in possession of the ball.

His tackle completion rate and interception were also spot on as he broke up several forays buy Heracles into the box of ADO Den Haag, while two of his crosses almost resulted in a goal for his team at the other end.

Before last weekend’s match, though, Ebuehi revealed that Eagles technical adviser, Gernot Rohr had been polite enough to inform him ahead of time that he was not in starting line-up for the high-profile international friendly.

Ebuehi said Rohr informed the players in the days leading up to the World Cup qualifier against Algeria that they will be included in the starting eleven against the South Americans.

Rohr hardly changes the starting line-up he used in the final session before a game, and Ebuehi acknowledged that he saw the handwriting on the wall when he trained with Team B the evening before Tuesday’s game.

”I was disappointed not to start against Argentina, but the coach came to me before the game telling me I won’t be starting but will be coming in the second half.

”It was great that the team won and an honour to come face to face with Di Maria because he is an excellent player.” said the 21-year-old Ebuehi, who has started all 12 matches for ADO in the Dutch Eredivisie this season.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

Yea..

You said you started following the eagles way back 70s.

How would you rate these players?

1. Segun Odegbami

2. Henry Nwosu

3. Etim Esin

4. Austin Okocha

70's not me o, I old but no old reach that level. My own journey was in the late 80s. Jayjay of cos we all know was phenomenal. Etim Esin's case was very unfortunate, was an extremely talented player, but whether he was framed or he caused his own downfall, long story short is he never fulfilled his potentials on the soccer pitch. Didn't get to see much of Henry Nwosu but for him to have lasted from 1980 to 1990 in the national team should say he was a very good player (not even tall as well grin).

Mathematical Segun Odegbami was a fantastic winger, great dribbler, could score goals and create lots of chances. One thing I liked about Odegbami and Amesimaka was that they were both graduates and successful footballers.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:39pm On Nov 20, 2017
Henry Onyekuru Nominated For Goal Of The Week In Belgium

allnigeriasoccer.com

Nov 20, 2017 1:00 PM

Henry Onyekuru's goal against Royal Excel Mouscron in the last round of matches in the Belgian First Division A was eye-catching enough to be a contender for the Goal of the Week award.

Top Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad has picked Onyekuru's second half effort and strikes from Kaveh Rezaei (Charleroi) and Ruud Vormer (Club Brugge) as the best goals of the week in the Belgian top division.

As at the time of this report, Onyekuru was third in the poll with 13 percent, behind Vormer (68 percent) and Rezaei (19 percent).

With the game tied at 1-1, the Nigeria international combined with Algerian Sofiane Hanni to get free in the penalty area, before firing past goalkeeper Logan Bailly in the 80th minute.

The Everton loanee now has seven goals in fourteen appearances for Anderlecht in the regular season.

Onyekuru made his competitive debut for the Nigerian national team when he was introduced in the 71st minute of a World Cup qualifier against Algeria on November 10, 2017.

Igho Kingsley

Photo Credit : Instagram.com

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2017
Nice one eagles.

That was a terrible idea to begin with, whoever suggest that?

Mikel, Eagles reject World Cup bonus on per-minute basis -

John Obi Mikel and the Super Eagles turned down a proposal for them to be paid match bonuses according to the minutes they play for the national team, like some of them are paid at their overseas clubs, according to ScoreNigeria.

The Eagles will now be paid a $3 million qualifying bonus for the 2018 World Cup according to their call-ups and appearances.
But it may not have been so if the players had accepted a new format that they be paid according to minutes they played in the qualifiers to Russia 2018.

“Mikel and the rest of the team out rightly booted out a proposal brought forward by one of the NFF vice-presidents that they should now be paid the bonus by the number of the minutes they played in the qualifiers,” an official told SCORENigeria
“That would have meant some of the players who were called up but never got to play will not benefit from the bonus.”
The players insisted they would rather go with what was used previously, that is players who were called up for the six group qualifiers as well as the second round eliminator against Swaziland.
“To be paid according to playing time will bring desperation in the team, against team spirit, and the players rejected this,” another official informed SCORENigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2184) (2185) (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.