Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,093 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2188) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11654362 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2185) (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:45pm On Nov 20, 2017
Loogan:

He's good enough to be in the team now, he getting game in the Dutch first division. A journalist once said if he's good enough for a Dutch team then he's good enough for Nigeria, it's not as if we are rich on options with players of his skill set. If we say we are planning for the future special players like this guy should get involved for this World Cup even if on bench, then the next World Cup he's more confy, and the blending would be perfect.
He's getting games he's making a case, even those without games made the team, he doesn't need to start but he can make an impact.

I'm not doubting his abilities...
But who is he gonna bench in the current SE team??

Who will Rohr drop for him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:47pm On Nov 20, 2017
Better for you o. Even if it means going back to Russia.

Musa Ready To Quit Leicester In January

footballlive.ng

Nov 20, 2017 1:00 PM

Leicester City of England striker, Ahmed Musa may have finally made up his mind to quit the former English Premier League champions in January, as he has been repeatedly left out of The Foxes’ match day squads.

With Musa again missing from the squad for last Saturday’s 2-0 loss at home to Manchester City, the former CSKA Moscow of Russia hitman now appears ready to move on the winter transfer window.

However, sources close to the Super Eagles star have also disclosed that Musa is facing a dilemma of choice, as a total of ten top clubs are said to be jostling for his signature.

This would revive memories of reports back in June, when it was disclosed that Fenerbahce of Turkey had opened talks with Musa over a £17.4m switch for the 24-year-old ex-Kano Pillars and VV Van Venlo of Holland fleet-footed winger-cum-attacker, who has struggled with club and country since leaving CSKA Moscow.

Musa, who helped his former club to the Russian title last year, has been unable to hold down a place in the Leicester side, with which he has found the net just four times in 32 appearances in all competitions.

He is understood to be keen on staying in the Premier League but his club have yet to receive any concrete offers that they would consider acceptable from English clubs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:51pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:
Haba brila! Small small with these speculations na, no make the boy head begin big for nothing.

Report: Barcelona ready to snap Onyekuru from Everton - Latest Sports news and Sports talks in Nigeria

brila.net - source

Nov 20, 2017 4:11 PM

Barcelona is keeping a close eye on Everton forward Henry Onyekuru, who is currently on loan to Belgian top flight club Anderlecht, according to a report on Readeverton.

Scouts from the Spanish club were present to witness Onyekuru find the back of the net for the seventh time this season during Anderlecht’s visit to Royal Excel Mouscron.

The 20-year-old was signed by Everton last summer from Eupen but was immediately sent out on a season-long loan to Anderlecht, where his performances are attracting plenty of European attention.

Onyekuru has also starred in the UEFA Champions League group stages this season with reports that Premier League club Manchester United want to secure his signature.

The Merseyside club have a real talent on their hands and Onyekuru could easily break into the starting side at Goodison Park following his return from his loan spell.

However, the temptation of playing for Barcelona could turn out to be a difficult one to turn down.

The Nigerian youngster made his official debut for his country in their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying fixture against Algeria on November 10 in Constantine and will be confident of securing a place in the squad for the tournament in Russia.

I call this mere transfer speculation.....

Henry should stay humble... His current form with Anderlecht shows that he isn't a one season wonder..

I really hope Rohr takes him to Russia... If Moses Simeon who is playing in the same Belgian league can be starting games for us then why not Henry??

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:00pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

70's not me o, I old but no old reach that level. My own journey was in the late 80s. Jayjay of cos we all know was phenomenal. Etim Esin's case was very unfortunate, was an extremely talented player, but whether he was framed or he caused his own downfall, long story short is he never fulfilled his potentials on the soccer pitch. Didn't get to see much of Henry Nwosu but for him to have lasted from 1980 to 1990 in the national team should say he was a very good player (not even tall as well grin).

Mathematical Segun Odegbami was a fantastic winger, great dribbler, could score goals and create lots of chances. One thing I liked about Odegbami and Amesimaka was that they were both graduates and successful footballers.

hehehehe, I must have mixed up your moniker with someone else's.

I also heard about Etim's attitude problems.

Thanks for sharing those sweet memories. We shall all live long.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:
Nice one eagles.

That was a terrible idea to begin with, whoever suggest that?

Mikel, Eagles reject World Cup bonus on per-minute basis -

John Obi Mikel and the Super Eagles turned down a proposal for them to be paid match bonuses according to the minutes they play for the national team, like some of them are paid at their overseas clubs, according to ScoreNigeria.

The Eagles will now be paid a $3 million qualifying bonus for the 2018 World Cup according to their call-ups and appearances.
But it may not have been so if the players had accepted a new format that they be paid according to minutes they played in the qualifiers to Russia 2018.

“Mikel and the rest of the team out rightly booted out a proposal brought forward by one of the NFF vice-presidents that they should now be paid the bonus by the number of the minutes they played in the qualifiers,” an official told SCORENigeria
“That would have meant some of the players who were called up but never got to play will not benefit from the bonus.”
The players insisted they would rather go with what was used previously, that is players who were called up for the six group qualifiers as well as the second round eliminator against Swaziland.
“To be paid according to playing time will bring desperation in the team, against team spirit, and the players rejected this,” another official informed SCORENigeria.

Mike is indeed a true leader and if this story is true it shows the selflessness and oneness within the team. And teamwork makes the dream work. Hopefully no one will use their reggae to spoil our blues!!!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2017
Gernot Rohr: ''I watched (Akpoguma) play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for. But he'll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colors of Nigeria and I'll call him in the next few days.''

Akpoguma for Nigeria??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:13pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

That might be true, Kog45 can confirm that as I honestly don't know. What I know is that after our loss to CIV at Abidjan during the world cup qualifiers, Reuben lost his place in the team and was dropped entirely. Siasia also lost his starting place to amokachie as well.

I stand to be corrected though.
Yes you are right,Reuben couldn't cope with the weather and d Siasia had a good game but blamed for not given Yekini a clear pass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:14pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

That might be true, Kog45 can confirm that as I honestly don't know. What I know is that after our loss to CIV at Abidjan during the world cup qualifiers, Reuben lost his place in the team and was dropped entirely. Siasia also lost his starting place to amokachie as well.

I stand to be corrected though.
Yes you are right,Reuben couldn't cope with the weather and Siasia had a good game but blamed for not given Yekini a clear pass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:20pm On Nov 20, 2017
Danielnino00:

I call this mere transfer speculation.....

Henry should stay humble... His current form with Anderlecht shows that he isn't a one season wonder..

I really hope Rohr takes him to Russia... If Moses Simeon who is playing in the same Belgian league can be starting games for us then why not Henry??

I believe his time will come. Remember Moses Simon has been in SE for a longer time nd so it goes without saying that he understood the coaches philosophy nd they trust him. Onyekuru needs to be patient
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:21pm On Nov 20, 2017
WHO DO NIGERIA FANS WANT IN GOAL AT THE WORLD CUP?
22:06
Goal

With Carl Ikeme out of action, who do Super Eagles supporters want to see start between the sticks in Russia?

Nigeria fans want Vincent Enyeama back between the sticks for the World Cup, with the Super Eagles centurion overwhelmingly winning a recent Goal poll.

The LOSC Lille stopper received 61 percent of the votes when we asked readers who they’d most like to see start for Nigeria next summer.

Despite overwhelmingly convincing preparation for the Russia World Cup, Gernot Rohr still has a conundrum between the sticks, where Carl Ikeme is unavailable following his diagnosis with acute leukaemia.

The Wolves No. 1 stepped into a starting role following Enyeama’s premature retirement from international duty, and his sustained absence has seen the German coach experiment with various options.

Even though he’s yet to reverse his decision, the legendary Enyeama still remains the favourite with Nigeria fans, with the majority of respondents hoping—if not praying—that he returns for next summer’s showpiece.
According to our poll, the other options don’t have much faith with Goal readers.

Wonderkid Francis Uzoho, who made his debut at half time against Argentina, is the ‘best of the rest’ according to those who answered our poll, with the Deportivo La Coruna man picking up 26 percent of the votes.

It’s telling, perhaps, that a 19-year-old with only 45 minutes of international experience garners significantly more confidence among supporters than some of the other options used by Rohr during the qualifiers.
Worryingly, incumbent No. 1 Ikechukwu

Ezenwa, who has been first-choice since Ikeme’s diagnosis, received just nine percent of the votes.

Certainly, his stock has been dented after a few nervy moments, but this demonstrates a worryingly lack of confidence in the incumbent on the part of Nigeria fans.

Elsewhere, Daniel Akpeyi’s popularity ratings are at an all-time low after his horror error against Argentina, where he was fortunate to get away without a first-half red card.

He received a miserable one percent of the votes with, by comparison, Dele Alampasu picking up three percent.

At this stage, it appears as though Akpeyi might just be lucky to make the plane, and forget about starting in Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:25pm On Nov 20, 2017
tbaba12345:
Gernot Rohr: ''I watched (Akpoguma) play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for. But he'll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colors of Nigeria and I'll call him in the next few days.''

Akpoguma for Nigeria??

He's pledged to Germany according to reports.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:46pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Good observation and comment!!!!! But can you qualify the 'We' in your comments, who are you speaking for sir because it seems you always speak for yourself as a one man army. So I will adjust that you clarify and say 'I need Obafemi, Joel Obi and Sone Aluko' I for one don't believe we need them and from several people's comments here, it doesn't seem like they need them too.

Hahahaha! We asin we we . grin Yes! Every football loving Nigerian Knows Obafemi, Joel Obi and Sone Aluko will add quality to the National team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:47pm On Nov 20, 2017
Leon Balogun Biography: Age, Profile, Club & Net Worth

360dopes

[img]https://1.bp..com/-f1fn72Xz34I/WhBq6qVxS4I/AAAAAAAAOmY/Z3nmE9JlrUYni1PBfOZCcyxsI8IyCIPCwCLcBGAs/s280/leon-balogun%2Bbiography.jpg[/img]

Born Leon Aderemi Balogun on 28th June 1988 (Age:29) in Berlin, West Germany, is a Nigerian professional defender who currently plays for 1. FSV Mainz 05.

The Super Eagles defender was born to a Nigerian father who hails from Ijebu Ode and to a German mother.
Balogun's first match for Nigeria was the friendly against Mexico in March 2014 as he was called up to replace Joseph Yobo.

He made his Bundesliga debut on 19 April 2009 for Hannover 96 in a game against Hamburger SV.

Leon Balogun net worth is said to be around $24 million dollar.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:50pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

Yea..

You said you started following the eagles way back 70s.

How would you rate these players?

1. Segun Odegbami

2. Henry Nwosu

3. Etim Esin

4. Austin Okocha
Kai 70s oh boy i no fit o but feel say something about 80s.

1.Segun Odegbami a great winger with skills and goals,a very pacy player who can be compared with CRonaldo in style of play.A great player in then 80s,very popular and showboy of Nigeria football,instrumental to Nigeria victory in 1980 afcon.He score 23 goals for Nigeria and remain the third highest goal scorer in Nigeria history but on goal ratio he is second to Yekini.Big Seg retired unceremoniously when the then Oyo state governor Col.Oladayo Popoola disbanded shooting star for losing to Zamalek in champions cup in 1882.

2.Austin Okocha remain a great player that came from nowhere and lightened Nigeria football after we believe that we w not see another talented player like Etim again. He was good and solid to watch.He was member of 94 victorious afcon and US 94 squad,still surprising that Okocha failed to win Africa footballer of the year despite his talent.He moved to PSG with a record deal of $16m.He scored a memorable goal for Frankfurt against Karlsruhe with Oliver Khan in goal.

3.Henry Nwosh a classical midfielder who made 1980 afcon as a teenager and played for the team till 1990He was member of Eagles in the 80s,participated at afcon 80,84,88.A very good midfielder with great left foot. He had most of his career with ACB of Lagos but moved to Gabon later to play professional football.

4 Etim Esin remain a mysterious player cos indiscipline ruined his career. Etim maradona was a solid and complete player but did not attained what could have be a glorious career.Prior to Chile 87 Etim was shot by armed robber after sneeked out of camp in the night in his brand new Peugeot 505.Despite this Nigeria government made sure he was treated and made the squad to Chile. He later moved to Lierse fc in Belgium but his career was short live after accused of rape.Etim ran away from Belgium to escape jail.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:50pm On Nov 20, 2017
Taliban:

Their thinking hasn't probably changed since that time when you dey halla sir.

Great man, always on point.

Na so me self take see am ooo.thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:05pm On Nov 20, 2017
chrisooblog:
even a half fit joel obi was still better than gabriel rueben, azeez ramon, and michael babatunde combined. Keshi RIP really took some dodgy players sha. i'm just praying for joel to stay fit till then he will definitely go to russia. however that said i don't blame any national team coach who worries about him being fit during a tournament

Honestly, Joel Obi was not even half fit prior to that WC. That was why he played only 8 matches the whole season before the WC commenced.

I will have to single out Ramon Azeez because he played 30 matches in the La liga prior to the world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2017
mumemma:
Na so una hype Aina o....say d guy dey ball for Championship.....I nor see wetin e don play for our 2 games o.....

Na Ebuehi dem gve just 45mins and we know wat he can do....
Bro,Aina is a very good player.

A RB/RWB and not a LB or LWB.

Ebuehi played in his natural position (RB/RWB) unlike Aina who played the LWB.

Idowu who substitituted Aina is also a RB.In the match against Argentina, Idowu didn't do much going foward .He focused more on defending rather than going forward unlike Ebuehi.

The reason being that "when players are being played in a makeshift position,they can't be as good as when played in their natural position".

Aina will do well if played as a RB/RWB .

We had Ebuehi in camp when Rohr made the move to get Aina for the Cameroon game, after seeing him train with the team after the Senegal friendly.

I could recall a journalist said this during their training after the Senegal friendly in which Isaac Success was outstanding, "He (Aina) defended well against I.Success with ease,covered up for Troost-Ekong and linked up well with the attack.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:22pm On Nov 20, 2017
komekn:

I am familiar with Everton, as it stands if not for work permit issues i would say categorically Onyekuru would be in the first team, how consistent he would be considering the physicality and intensity of the EPL , I really can not say. People struggle to keep performing week in week out consistently if they don't have the mental resilience and or physical make up.

That is why Musa can not cut it in the EPL he is a bit lightweight for a striker add to that the number of really fast players in the EPL. His one main attribute of speed is not giving him total competitive advantage. Onyekuru has speed but more guile, trickery and skill.

Well, I know Onyekuru can go to Everton but I don't think he can bench Ademola Lookman.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Well, I know Onyekuru can go to Everton but I don't think he can bench Ademola Lookman.

What has Lookman done in his career? Onyekuru is an established scorer in the Belgian league now.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:36pm On Nov 20, 2017
tbaba12345:

Akpoguma for Nigeria??

You didn't complete the article where he (Akpoguma) stated he's committed to Germany?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

hehehehe, I must have mixed up your moniker with someone else's.

I also heard about Etim's attitude problems.

Thanks for sharing those sweet memories. We shall all live long.

Amen at the prayers!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 20, 2017
neighy:
till then

You should be saying amen!!! It's a great prayer in all seriousness!!!! Again I repeat you shall attain this league, you shall not die young!!!! Any body that says you won't make the league, oya fire!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thank you Sir Kog45. So komekn do you see? In those days the Serie A was the best league in the world yet not one, I repeat not one of the 94 set was playing there. Even in leagues like Belgium regular starters for the Eagles such as Siasia were bench warmers.
imagine Amunike from Zamalek in Egypt, Oliha from a club in cote Divore. Rashidi wasn't even at Porto or Sporting Lisbon. What club is Wolverhampton? What was their pedigree then? Yet we had a player from that club.

So please this your criteria is good no doubt but you cannot make it a law as I feel you make it to be.

We aspire and set before us a more better task than those hence the demand for the best. After all, those were our best as at then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2017
tbaba12345:

What has Lookman done in his career? Onyekuru is an established scorer in the Belgian league now.

He just won a trophy and has moved from academy straight to the Championship. From league one straight to EPL.

Is that by chance?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 12:20am On Nov 21, 2017
Taliban:

You should be saying amen!!! It's a great prayer in all seriousness!!!! Again I repeat you shall attain this league, you shall not die young!!!! Any body that says you won't make the league, oya fire!!!!!!!!!! grin
... I said it but didnt typpe it....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 12:23am On Nov 21, 2017
forgiveness:

FORGIVENESS!!!! ... onyekuru to ademola lookman?
Keep up with the good work

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:49am On Nov 21, 2017
We should be careful not to see our naija born players as lesser than the FB players. Now Ademola Lookman whose ass is kissing the bench is better than Onyekuru? We shall see should Onyekuru return in January.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 1:15am On Nov 21, 2017
nelszx:

You didn't complete the article where he (Akpoguma) stated he's committed to Germany?

I saw his response but let Rohr speak to him first... At the end of the day, it is his choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 1:15am On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:
We should be careful not to see our naija born players as lesser than the FB players. Now Ademola Lookman who's ass is kissing the bench is better than Onyekuru? We shall see should Onyekuru return in January.

It is Forgiveness na!!!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 1:34am On Nov 21, 2017
forgiveness:

How does one bench a bench warmer? As it is, Lookman barely has up to 100minutes of playing time this season in the Epl. He's got nothing on Onyekuru

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 3:08am On Nov 21, 2017
Rohr in his playing days

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2185) (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: semid4lyfe(m), gbengaolu360, Cecco90, Christinu2, Iview1 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.