Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3402) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11641888 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3399) (3400) (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:56am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think, it goes beyond agent..

He was loaned to the Bosnian league and did not impress.

In his current club, he has 9 yellows and 1 red in 20 games.

I do not think, he has improved enough for senior level foot

He has simply not raised his game well enough as he progresses with age.

U17 performances flatter to deceive a lot of people. Some people here would understand me better now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 7:58am On Apr 24, 2018
I'm all for having a steady base of players, but I am not sure if Uzoho is the answer as the starting goalkeeper.

He has had a full 180 minutes under his belt, and looked shaky in both matches. With Enyeama out of the picture, Aiyenugba or Ejide surely ahve to be listed in the preliminary 35-man list. Both goalies still have a lot to offer the Super eagles as their experience can't be discounted.

Nonetheless, Uzoho should be among the 3 goalkeepers for the WC team, alongside Aiyenugba/Ejide, with Ezenwa and Akpeyi battling for the other spot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:59am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

he got signed in February for a Bosnia club and left to a better league at the end of the season, having 9 yellow don't make you a bad player, Ndidi is reported to be one of the dirtiest player in premier league but his one of the best there too.

Just imagine his management got him a team like Porto or Gent, the first move in Europe could damage your European career.

Ndidi is not one of the dirtiest premier league player ... Far from it.

The truth is that Musa has not raised his game. He did not impress in Bosnia and has not been outstanding in Bulgaria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:01am On Apr 24, 2018
Guys has ajayi scores after coming back from the friendlies?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:04am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

He has simply not raised his game well enough as he progresses with age.

U17 performances flatter to deceive a lot of people. Some people here would understand me better now.

Many youth players never reach their potential.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 24, 2018
PDPGuy:
I'm all for having a steady base of players, but I am not sure if Uzoho is the answer as the starting goalkeeper.

He has had a full 180 minutes under his belt, and looked shaky in both matches. With Enyeama out of the picture, Aiyenugba or Ejide surely ahve to be listed in the preliminary 35-man list. Both goalies still have a lot to offer the Super eagles as their experience can't be discounted.

Nonetheless, Uzoho should be among the 3 goalkeepers for the WC team, alongside Aiyenugba/Ejide, with Ezenwa and Akpeyi battling for the other spot.

I think that Aiyenugba/Ejide ship has sailed. Uzoho is our number 1. Give the team your full support.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:10am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

I do not think Musa Muhammad is that good. At least not yet.. He failed to make the cut in Turkey and has not been great in Bulgaria

Musa Mohammed is not a good player,some people think u17 World Cup is senior team football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Many youth players never reach their potential.
What do you think could be responsible? Let's discuss.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

sometimes mental toughness, attitude to training, discipline or simply ending up in a club or coach that does not reckon with you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:17am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:
Uzoho is our number 1 keeper... After reading recent statements by Rohr, I think he has made up his mind on Uzoho..

“I don’t think goalkeeping is the weak link in my team,”

“After we lost Carl Ikeme to sickness, we had what seemed like a goalkeeping crisis but Ikechukwu Ezenwa did well in the qualifiers but we kept looking for options.

“Francis Uzoho came as an option because to go to the World cup, you require two good goalkeepers and I must say he has done well in the three games he has played for the Super Eagles that I won’t be afraid to start him in our opening game against Croatia at the World Cup in Russia.

“Francis is good and tall, and he is ready to learn. He did well in the friendly games against Argentina and Poland with two clean sheets and conceded two goals against Serbia in his third game in which I experimented with some players and tactics.

“I don’t believe he will get stage fright playing against the likes of Messi and other big names in Russia, because after playing against the likes of Lewandowski of Poland, Aguero and Di Maria of Argentina, I am optimistic that he would rise to the occasion in Russia.”

Oh come on! Uzoho didn't keep a clean sheet against Poland. We know Michael Oliver got the decision wrong when the ball crossed the line due to Uzoho's poor handling. Ditto, Serbia scored a legit goal that VAR will easily overturn such decisions at the world cup. Uzoho conceded 4 goals in 3 games if we want to be brutally honest.
Let nobody be deceived. We can't leave the truth and buy the lie.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23am On Apr 24, 2018
andrew444:

Musa Mohammed is not a good player,some people think u17 World Cup is senior team football.

I had serious headache trying to explain this to a lot of people on here earlier on this forum.

Some even said age doesn't matter.

Not all U17 players progress well. Some even fall short as early as the U20 which is why I was mad with Amuneke for promoting all his U17 players to the U20. Not all of those kids were ready or were good enough for the U20 challenge.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:25am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Some player peak early, Others are late bloomers... A kid could reach his peak at 20 and stop improving. That is why you can see a play, who was average at 17 become top class at 22.

Poor career decisions could also inhibit development.. Sometimes young players need coaches that can help them fix the rough edges. An absence of that can stifle growth..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:28am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ndidi is not one of the dirtiest premier league player ... Far from it.

The truth is that Musa has not raised his game. He did not impress in Bosnia and has not been outstanding in Bulgaria.

Bros ontill yestetday Ndidi was the dirtiest player in premier league and milivojovic took over yesterday, Musa spent just 4 months in the loan move to bosnia, Musa has started 20 league games in Bulgaria, how do you want him to raise his game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:40am On Apr 24, 2018
Iwobi's form rightly should worry any fan.I can't understand the overindulgence he gets from Nigerians.

Rohr set to invite Italy-based striker, worries over Iwobi

April 24, 2018
Festus Abu

Alex Iwobi’s current poor form is a major worry for Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr, our correspondent has learnt.

The 21-year-old forward, who burst onto the scene in 2015 and enjoyed starting roles in Arsenal’s first squad until last season, has copped heavy criticism this term because of his inconsistency and paltry form.

Iwobi, who sent many Super Eagles fans into a frenzy when he switched his international allegiance to Nigeria from England in 2017, has only scored two Premier League goals in 21 appearances.

And his poor form has also sparked concerns that the former England junior international’s inclusion in Nigeria’s Russia 2018 World Cup squad may not benefit the Eagles much.

With Kelechi Iheanacho struggling at Leicester City, our correspondent learnt that Rohr fears that he could have China-based striker Odion Ighalo as the only trusted top striker in Russia.

A source close to the team told our correspondent that the former Gabon manager is considering his options and has decided to invite Italy-based forward Simeon Nwankwo, who has been knocking on the national team’s door by scoring eye-catching goals in the Serie A.

The 25-year-old Crotone striker scored his fourth Serie A goal in the 2-1 defeat of Udinese at Stadio Friuli on Sunday to help pull Gli Squali (The Sharks) a bit clear of relegation zone.

Nwankwo, who was on the books of Portuguese club Gil Vicente from 2013 to 2016, stepped into the spotlight on April 18, after he latched on a loose ball to bury a spectacular overhead kick from inside the box into the net to level the score in their 1-1 draw against Italian powerhouse Juventus at Ezio Scida.

Sources close to Rohr said the former Burkina Faso coach, who has been monitoring the player’s performance in recent times, “is highly impressed by Nwankwo’s style of play”.

Spokesman for the senior national team Toyin Ibitoye refused to confirm nor deny if the Crotone star would be invited by Rohr to fight for his place in the World Cup squad.

He said, “Rohr hasn’t named his provisional or final squad so all players are on his radar. We are happy that many of our players are playing well and scoring too.”

http://www.punchng.com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:50am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

Bros ontill yestetday Ndidi was the dirtiest player in premier league and milivojovic took over yesterday, Musa spent just 4 months in the loan move to bosnia, Musa has started 20 league games in Bulgaria, how do you want him to raise his game?

Ndidi has the highest tackling rate in the premier league by far. So ofcourse, fouls will be committed but that does not make him 'dirty'...

I have watched Musa and i have not been impressed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:54am On Apr 24, 2018
goldfish80:
Iwobi's form rightly should worry any fan.I can't understand the overindulgence he gets from Nigerians.

April 24, 2018
Festus Abu

Alex Iwobi’s current poor form is a major worry for Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr, our correspondent has learnt.

The 21-year-old forward, who burst onto the scene in 2015 and enjoyed starting roles in Arsenal’s first squad until last season, has copped heavy criticism this term because of his inconsistency and paltry form.

Iwobi, who sent many Super Eagles fans into a frenzy when he switched his international allegiance to Nigeria from England in 2017, has only scored two Premier League goals in 21 appearances.

And his poor form has also sparked concerns that the former England junior international’s inclusion in Nigeria’s Russia 2018 World Cup squad may not benefit the Eagles much.

With Kelechi Iheanacho struggling at Leicester City, our correspondent learnt that Rohr fears that he could have China-based striker Odion Ighalo as the only trusted top striker in Russia.

A source close to the team told our correspondent that the former Gabon manager is considering his options and has decided to invite Italy-based forward Simeon Nwankwo, who has been knocking on the national team’s door by scoring eye-catching goals in the Serie A.

The 25-year-old Crotone striker scored his fourth Serie A goal in the 2-1 defeat of Udinese at Stadio Friuli on Sunday to help pull Gli Squali (The Sharks) a bit clear of relegation zone.

Nwankwo, who was on the books of Portuguese club Gil Vicente from 2013 to 2016, stepped into the spotlight on April 18, after he latched on a loose ball to bury a spectacular overhead kick from inside the box into the net to level the score in their 1-1 draw against Italian powerhouse Juventus at Ezio Scida.

Sources close to Rohr said the former Burkina Faso coach, who has been monitoring the player’s performance in recent times, “is highly impressed by Nwankwo’s style of play”.

Spokesman for the senior national team Toyin Ibitoye refused to confirm nor deny if the Crotone star would be invited by Rohr to fight for his place in the World Cup squad.

He said, “Rohr hasn’t named his provisional or final squad so all players are on his radar. We are happy that many of our players are playing well and scoring too.”

The whole article top to bottom is speculation..

Terrible piece.

There is no quote that Rohr is worried about any player. Iwobi scored for Nigeria three times and during the same period, his form was average for Arsenal..

Journalists trying to market Simy..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:57am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

I had serious headache trying to explain this to a lot of people on here earlier on this forum.

Not all U17 players progress well. Some even fall short as early as the U20 which is why I was mad with Amuneke for promoting all his U17 players to the U20. Not all of those kids were ready or were good enough for the U20 challenge.

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:04am On Apr 24, 2018
goldfish80:

April 24, 2018
Festus Abu

Agents at work.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 9:26am On Apr 24, 2018
asha80:
sometimes mental toughness, attitude to training, discipline or simply ending up in a club or coach that does not reckon with you

All what you listed above is to be dealt with by good sport management team and Agent, our players find it comfortable making the father or brother even landlord there Agent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 9:28am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Do you prefer he bring totally new boys to the fold, thought we need continuity for there progress
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:37am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

Do you prefer he bring totally new boys to the fold, thought we need continuity for there progress

He should have thrown it open to select the best . Being an U17 graduate should not automatically make you an U20 player. It should make you a candidate for selection.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by habbyy03: 9:45am On Apr 24, 2018
bitcoin at awesome rate

https://paxful.com/offer/AgqeBPw77mX

whatsapp -08066886617
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 9:50am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

All what you listed above is to be dealt with by good sport management team and Agent, our players find it comfortable making the father or brother even landlord there Agent
true but even some europeans couldnt get over these issues despite all the management they get eg ivan da le pena(a young promising lamasia product that got to barca first team 1995-1996)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:50am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

The whole article top to bottom is speculation..

Terrible piece.

There is no quote that Rohr is worried about any player. Iwobi scored for Nigeria three times and during the same period, his form was average for Arsenal..

Journalists trying to market Simy..

Let's not wave the report aside. Players like Mikel Agu, Junior Ajayi, Joel Obi, Val Nwakaeme and others were invited on the back of reports such as this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:57am On Apr 24, 2018
goldfish80:

April 24, 2018
Festus Abu

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:23am On Apr 24, 2018
[quote author=gamaliel9 post=66952128 quote]
Dennis Bergkamp did unbelievably exquisite things with the ball. That touch down and tip over the head of Roa in France 98 Qtr Final against Argentina and the wizardry of the goal against Newcastle in the EPL 2002
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:25am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ndidi has the highest tackling rate in the premier league by far. So ofcourse, fouls will be committed but that does not make him 'dirty'...

I have watched Musa and i have not been impressed.

Bros you don't like Ndidi more than me, Ndidi has the second highest foul commited in premier league, already having 2 red and 7 yellow in football that's dirty but that doesn't mean his not a good player..

Your argument with Mohamed is that his not good enough which was your key word and I said he is just unfortunate with bad management and Agent, Musa was signed straight to İstanbul Başakşehir first team which was wrong for his progression, Musa could have gotten something better after the youth tournament.

summary of my argument is that most youth player get them self involve with selfish agent and management that mean no good for them, the likes of Brown,oseni, akinsola were not bad players, if you could remember the saga between kayode and one top NFF official that left him languishing in Asec memosa then you will understand better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:25am On Apr 24, 2018
KpagoGIN:

To tell how bad this has become.... highlights back then was characterised by artistic moves flair and fun while goals made it even glorious but this days if no goals you better go check the score board for your beloved team result.
Time flies and the whole essence has also changed "business" before entertainment bills have to be paid... be like I will start watching cricket the gentle mans game.
Truth is football is now boring to me except National team tourneys and UEFA Champions league from semi finals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:30am On Apr 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

Truth is football is now boring to me except National team tourneys and UEFA Champions league from semi finals.
i am also beginning to feel the same way in recent times
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:34am On Apr 24, 2018
CaptainStephen:
I dey baby sit new otondos , it been fun so far. I get to go to their thread and read stuffs about me grin.
Wetin be Otondo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:35am On Apr 24, 2018
asha80:
i am also beginning to feel the same way in recent times
We are both suffering from the hangover of the pleasure of the 90's. Imagine that the number 10 is dying out. Chai! Then I'd just identify who the 10 is for a particular team and follow his movement to understand the game. Now they are being consigned to the museum of football history.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:35am On Apr 24, 2018
Icon4s:

He should have thrown it open to select the best . Being an U17 graduate should not automatically make you an U20 player. It should make you a candidate for selection.

after winning an under17 tournament, you expect him to throw the camp open again, I'm sure you are one of the people criticizing our current under20 team.

Is easy for an under20 to claim he plays in naija league, you can only get genuinely young lads at under17 and push the bulk of them to under20, the objective for age grade competition is not winning but development

(1) (2) (3) ... (3399) (3400) (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lelion, elyte89, chrisooblog, dkay51(m), Meliforme, foxman04, BankyGee(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.