Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,076 members, 7,814,732 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3403) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11640463 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3400) (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) (3406) ... (16142) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:37am On Apr 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

We are both suffering from the hangover of the pleasure of the 90's. Imagine that the number 10 is dying out. Chai! Then I'd just identify who the 10 is for a particular team and follow his movement to understand the game. Now they are being consigned to the museum of football history.
lols i guess so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:39am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

those Musa critics has gone back to there shell, Football has alot to do with confidence, Musa still got it
Russia sure for am die.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:52am On Apr 24, 2018
forgiveness:

Actually, he has 8 goals and 5 assists from all competition. I don't think it is bad for an upcoming striker.

Well yes but I expected a lot more from him.

After his exploits in the championship I expected at least 12 goals this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:53am On Apr 24, 2018
asha80:
true but even some europeans couldnt get over these issues despite all the management they get eg ivan da le pena(a young promising lamasia product that got to barca first team 1995-1996)

Bro good management is not a Race thing, good man management could be found here just like poor ones are over there too, but we know they are alot better.

Da le Pena, played 269 games in laliga and went on to captain a top team like espayol, with league tittle, copa del rey, UEFA cup that can't be a bad career.

So many youth players will want to be like De le pena
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:53am On Apr 24, 2018
maidaboi:
hahahahaha
very poor by your standard
chei see double standard

What's the double standard please❓

And in relation to who or what
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:55am On Apr 24, 2018
CaptainStephen:
Everything going peacefully , no e fights grin my fellow egulians I hail una
And that's how congo4ka came all the way from Congo and baptised us with a collective name on this thread. Eaglelians I hail
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:55am On Apr 24, 2018
Loogan:

If you have truely watched his U-17 games and still do not believe he is a good dribbler then theres nothing I can say to change your mind.

You can not in comparison to senior professional football use U17 as a unit of measurement for capacity and ability. It simply is not tenable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 11:05am On Apr 24, 2018
komekn:

Well yes but I expected a lot more from him.

After his exploits in the championship I expected at least 12 goals this season.

how many players have 12 goals in premier league?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:09am On Apr 24, 2018
elyte89:

Don't b surprise to c EFE AMBROSE NAME in d 35man list,from dis what d coach said concerning d defence cool
Just say you want Efe in the team

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:17am On Apr 24, 2018
CSKA Moscow Coach: My Fight With Musa Led To His Goals

CSKA Moscow head coach Viktor Gancharenko has claimed his recent row with Ahmed Musa is responsible for the Nigeria forward’s rise in form, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Musa, who is on loan at the club from English Premier League club Leicester City, was engaged in a bitter row with Gancharenko after he was substituted early in the second half in a league game against Dynamo.

Both men quickly moved on from the incident after a one-on-one discussion, with Musa now reaping the fruits of that meeting.

He has bagged three goals and two assists in his last three games for CSKA Moscow, including two goals in Sunday’s 2-1 Russian Premier League win against Kuban Krasnodar.

“After I replaced him against Dynamo, we had a tough conversation. I said that he is not my friend, that I want more from him,” Gancharenko said in his post-match conference after the game against Kuban Krasnodar.

“He agreed to work harder and If necessary, we will again engage in a squabble if he fails to up his game.”

The Nigeria international who is expected to make the country’s final 23-man squad to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia has scored three goals in seven league games for CSKA since arriving in January.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/cska-moscow-coach-my-fight-with-musa-led-to-his-goals/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:24am On Apr 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

Boss,efe no bad now cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:26am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

after winning an under17 tournament, you expect him to throw the camp open again, I'm sure you are one of the people criticizing our current under20 team.

Is easy for an under20 to claim he plays in naija league, you can only get genuinely young lads at under17 and push the bulk of them to under20, the objective for age grade competition is not winning but development

An U17 team pushed to U20 is an U19 team. That age gap will always be there.

And more so when most of your U17 winning team players were 15-16 years olds. You will be carrying a 17/18 years team as an U20. This age difference matters alot.

The U20 team is for players 18-20. If a player falls within this age category why ignore him because he plays in the local league and so you must doubt his age.

Yes U20 is for development and all young players deserve the development whether they were part of the U17 or not.

We have always underrated the Competition at the U20 level which has made it the only age grade competition we are yet to win. And don't tell me about how it is not all about winning but development. Can't you achieve both?

The last U17 that crashed out what has happened to their development? Winning makes your players attractive and candidates for development in good clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2018
Adi Scores In Second Consecutive Game For Portland Timbers
April 23, 2018 9:03 am

Nigeria striker, Fanendo Adi, scored in his second consecutive game for his Major League Soccer club Portland Timbers who defeated New York City 3-0 early Monday morning (Nigerian time) , reports Completesportsnigeria.com .

Adi scored Portland Timbers’ second in the 39th minute of the encounter played at the Providence Park.

He was also target in Portland Timbers’ 3-2 win against Minnesota United last week.
The 27-year-old who has now featured in six games for his club in the MLS this season and has scored twice, was substituted five minutes from time by Samuel Armenteros.

Sebastian Blanco and Larrys Mabiala got the other goals for Timbers.
Portland Timbers, with the win, now sit in ninth position in the 12-team Western Conference table.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/adi-scores-in-second-consecutive-game-for-portland-timbers/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:37am On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Many youth players never reach their potential.

This is the reality of youth football lots of promise but sometimes very little progression.

They then rely on past youthful glories to push thier careers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

Truth is football is now boring to me except National team tourneys and UEFA Champions league from semi finals.
Thanks to d Lord I ain't the only one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:45am On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

how many players have 12 goals in premier league?

At the end of the season you will have about 20 players with about 12 ➕ goals. My optimism was for him to be in that group of 20.

I still think he is an excellent striker and brings more to the table than Ighalo and KC currently for now. Unfortunately he has not picked the SE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Caspian22(m): 12:04pm On Apr 24, 2018
Hello Guys,

Nigeria has the best World Cup Kit... See countries with the best world cup jerseys..
https://www.yoursoccerblog.com/top-2018-fifa-world-cup-kits/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 12:21pm On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

Bro good management is not a Race thing, good man management could be found here just like poor ones are over there too, but we know they are alot better.

Da le Pena, played 269 games in laliga and went on to captain a top team like espayol, with league tittle, copa del rey, UEFA cup that can't be a bad career.

So many youth players will want to be like De le pena
i agree with you on the bold

however on de la pena i kinda disagree with you..if you knew de la pena when he burst into limelight at barcelona which i think you do you will agree with me that the talent he showed then was the kind of talent that was supposed to dominate european international club and national team competitions the way an iniesta or raul did did.how many international appearances did he even garner for spain?just 5 for player that showed so much promises..this is someone if you ask me too had far deadlier defence splitting passing ability than an iniesta.if you also remember he was raul gonzalez peer.

.i mean prior to euro96 there was a heavy debate in spain then whether him and raul should go to the tournament instead of going to the olympics later that year..he was 19 then and raul was 18..if you ask me he showed more potential at that age than iniesta did..yes he achieved those things you wrote up there but he was no ordinary talent when he was coming up..his temper let him down(he also had some injuries that affected him though)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:25pm On Apr 24, 2018
tbaba1234:
Ebuehi is back in contention for the next game...
good news there. That department must have a fully fit crew@defence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:32pm On Apr 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

To your number 10 disguising comment. I'll say football tactics have been fused with war tactics. Too much analysing the opponents weakness and how to exploit them, rather than just playing hour best game with the flair you got and the fans bring wowed.

War tactics and formations are now similar.

if it's before, when Milan met Inter, no one could just predict how it would go with all those stars that were present.... Who had time to analyse it Edgar David's was too rough. or that Pasquale couldn't dribble from the wings. It's truly evolved.

Dunno if I'll blame The English or the Spaniards.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:50pm On Apr 24, 2018
forgiveness:

Where did you hear Enyeama misbehaviour was what led him out of the team?

Different scenerio.

Oga, answer questions. Thank you.

it's like you need a history lesson in 2011 when siasia was coach didn't he send enyeama back home just before the AFCON qualifier against madagascar. in 2014 enyeama ignoring communication channels he could have used to expressed any misgivings internally publicly criticized the NFF for taking the AFCON game vs Chad to kaduna. ironically oliseh defended him not knowing vincent go show am pepper too. when sunday sef show am sey him get craze he come dey form victim. ok oliseh left rohr came called you yet still forming victim that nff bla bla doesn't want you back yet you were dining with pinnick after the oliseh kasala burst. so forgiveness i don't need to answer any silly question to know what went down.

oliseh as bad as he was in his time fought for the right of his fellow players the shorunmu interview as much as confirmed that if that is indiscipline well that's your opinion

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 1:07pm On Apr 24, 2018
daveP:
To your number 10 disguising comment. I'll say football tactics have been fused with war tactics. Too much analysing the opponents weakness and how to exploit them, rather than just playing hour best game with the flair you got and the fans bring wowed.

War tactics and formations are now similar.

if it's before, when Milan met Inter, no one could just predict how it would go with all those stars that were present.... Who had time to analyse it Edgar David's was too rough. or that Pasquale couldn't dribble from the wings. It's truly evolved.

Dunno if I'll blame The English or[b] the Spaniards[/b].
it cant be them as they seem to always want to play up to their strenghts..if you ask me it started in italy this issue of stifling opposition
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:14pm On Apr 24, 2018
Puel Hints Iheanacho Has 4 Games To Claim Leicester’s Number 10 Role
April 24, 2018 11:31 am

Kelechi Iheanacho has until the end of the season to prove he can be The Foxes’ long term solution to their search for a Number 10 shirt, according to Leicester City manager, Claude Puel.

Puel is yet to find the perfect partner for striker Jamie Vardy, with Iheanacho and Shinji Okazaki failing to impress in the role.
According to Leicester Mercury, Iheanacho performed in the role well for the first 30 minutes against Southampton last Thursday but faded, and as he did so did Leicester’s tempo. And he ended up being substituted in the second half.

Iheanacho also failed to sparkle in the number 10 role when he played for the Super Eagles in their 1-0 win over Poland in an international friendly last month in Wroclaw.

“I think until the end of the season it will be an opportunity for different players to play and take some habits, perhaps to give a good solution,” Puel told Leicester Mercury.
“We know all the hard work from Okazaki, for example and, in the last game, Kele had good intensity and quality.

“Yes, Kele is a young player, he can have game time, he can improve and give a good option for the future.

“We will see. We have different options and it is interesting to try.”

Iheanacho has made 17 appearances for Leicester City in the English Premier League (24 appearances in all competitions scoring five goals) and has scored providing three assists.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/puel-hints-iheanacho-has-4-games-to-claim-leicesters-number-10-role/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:39pm On Apr 24, 2018
elyte89:

Don't b surprise to c EFE AMBROSE NAME in d 35man list,from dis what d coach said concerning d defence cool
I thinks it's now become very crucial for Rohr to look in Ambrose's direction.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:47pm On Apr 24, 2018
PDPGuy:
I'm all for having a steady base of players, but I am not sure if Uzoho is the answer as the starting goalkeeper.

He has had a full 180 minutes under his belt, and looked shaky in both matches. With Enyeama out of the picture, Aiyenugba or Ejide surely ahve to be listed in the preliminary 35-man list. Both goalies still have a lot to offer the Super eagles as their experience can't be discounted.

Nonetheless, Uzoho should be among the 3 goalkeepers for the WC team, alongside Aiyenugba/Ejide, with Ezenwa and Akpeyi battling for the other spot.
It's really sad that Rohr is thinking otherwise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:52pm On Apr 24, 2018
Truidstar:

I think that Aiyenugba/Ejide ship has sailed. Uzoho is our number 1. Give the team your full support.
That is not the issue bro. This is also a way to support the team bro- by stating his honest opinion... which is logically sane and proper as far as I'm concerned.

He's a fan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:56pm On Apr 24, 2018
Martz101:

Bros you don't like Ndidi more than me, Ndidi has the second highest foul commited in premier league, already having 2 red and 7 yellow in football that's dirty but that doesn't mean his not a good player..

Your argument with Mohamed is that his not good enough which was your key word and I said he is just unfortunate with bad management and Agent, Musa was signed straight to İstanbul Başakşehir first team which was wrong for his progression, Musa could have gotten something better after the youth tournament.

summary of my argument is that most youth player get them self involve with selfish agent and management that mean no good for them, the likes of Brown,oseni, akinsola were not bad players, if you could remember the saga between kayode and one top NFF official that left him languishing in Asec memosa then you will understand better

I understand players getting mixed up with bad management.

Turkey was a bad move for Muhammad because it set him back. But he has not improved much since.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:03pm On Apr 24, 2018
I'm beginning to have rethink about my perspective on Rohr's honesty as pertaining to Uzoho. Truth be told, we have better GKs/ candidates In Aiyenugba and Ejide. I'm really baffled as none of these guys are left out of the picture.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:04pm On Apr 24, 2018
I'm beginning to have rethink about my perspective on Rohr's honesty especially about this GKs department. Truth be told, we have better GKs, or at least candidates In Aiyenugba and Ejide. I'm really baffled as none of these guys are left out of the picture while this issue of goalkepers keep prevailing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:05pm On Apr 24, 2018
asha80:
i agree with you on the bold

however on de la pena i kinda disagree with you..if you knew de la pena when he burst into limelight at barcelona which i think you do you will agree with me that the talent he showed then was the kind of talent that was supposed to dominate european international club and national team competitions the way an iniesta or raul did did.how many international appearances did he even garner for spain?just 5 for player that showed so much promises..this is someone if you ask me too had far deadlier defence splitting passing ability than an iniesta.if you also remember he was raul gonzalez peer.

.i mean prior to euro96 there was a heavy debate in spain then whether him and raul should go to the tournament instead of going to the olympics later that year..he was 19 then and raul was 18..if you ask me he showed more potential at that age than iniesta did..yes he achieved those things you wrote up there but he was no ordinary talent when he was coming up..his temper let him down(he also had some injuries that affected him though)

not living up to expectation is different from disappearing from the scene which so many young talent is guilty of, I took out time to check ex under 17 golden ball winners and golden boot winner since inception in 1985, most of them never had a fulfilling career, the likes of Osondu, lamptey and sani where total flop in Europe.

There is something to note in this, while the likes of lamptey were enjoying the attention in 1991, the likes of Veron and totti looked ordinary, I notice the greedy and selfish agent and management always feast on the players with high hype and they end up not amounting to anything though there is always exception.

Turkish clubs are not famed to groom players, but the greedy agents believe money First, I will like you to go through the article below about Musa Mohammed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I'm beginning to have rethink about my perspective on Rohr's honesty as pertaining to Uzoho. Truth be told, we have better GKs/ candidates In Aiyenugba and Ejide. I'm really baffled as none of these guys are left out of the picture.

If Uzoho mans our post and does an outstanding job at the world cup and say we reach the quarter finals or bonus of a semi finals, there definitely be a scramble for his services from top clubs which will be our advantage in the long-term. Rohr is looking and thinking long-term. Uzoho is going to prove all his doubters wrong.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:12pm On Apr 24, 2018
How “Nigerian Alves” Musa Mohammed Lost His Way Following Money Inspired Move To Turkey

November 19, 2016

The current search for credible options at right full back by Nigeria would have not been an issue, if former U-17 and 20 captain Musa Mohammed had made the right move.

Offers poured in for the captain after leading his team of 2013 to glory at the U-17 World Youth Championship, but the lure of making more money by his representative from his transfer made them snub european sides who came for him.

” I can tell you confidently that Arsenal and Liverpool were among the first two teams that came for Musa, but a deal couldn’t be reached because what they proposed for the then 16 year old was a developmental deal, but his representatives were on the look out for a big pay”, Mohammed Kabiru, a close family friend told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Known for his ability to dominate the right flank from his full back role, the 20 year old who is very good at set pieces, shone like a million stars for the Nigeria U-20 that won the 2015 African Youth Championship in Senegal with style.

He picked up five assist in the tournament, offers from teams in Belgium, Holland and France poured in but his representatives were once again out for the best transfer fee not the best for his career..

” Offers flooded in even more than his days with the U-17 but still no deal, instead his representative was keen on striking a deal either in Germany or Turkey where the pay is high, no concern or whatsoever about his development”, Kabiru said.

After the 2015 World Youth Championship in New Zealand, he secured a move to Istanbul Basaksehir shunning strong interest from teams in other league, famed for developing young players and the number one motivation was money.

” As painful as it is, he moved to Turkey mainly for the money, today he has made lot of it but if he is not careful, it could be all he will ever make in football. He isn’t playing right now, thanks to connection in high places he is in the Super Eaglea.

You and I know he won’t last in the team unless he sort out his club career and for now, it looks unlikely even in January, am not sure about clubs trying him out. It’s a pity but that is how he lost his way and the Dani Alves tag”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/19/how-nigerian-alves-musa-mohammed-lost-his-way-following-money-inspired-move-to-turkey/

(1) (2) (3) ... (3400) (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) (3406) ... (16142) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m), opes, charlesemeka85(m), Lawag3, 123jamessmith and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.