Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,345 members, 7,853,533 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3833) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11885853 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3830) (3831) (3832) (3833) (3834) (3835) (3836) ... (16258) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2018
As the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Three Lions of England get set to faceoff at Wembley Stadium in a pre-World Cup international friendly game on Saturday -June 2, Completesportsnigeria.com’s JAMES AGBEREBI looks at FIVE key battles to watch out for in the course of the game.

1. Harry kane Vs Leon Balogun
Leon Balogun will definitely have his hands full when he comes up against one of the world’s most prolific strikers, Harry Kane.
The Tottenham Hotspur striker had an impressive season last campaign as he scored 41 goals in 48 appearances in all competitions.

Balogun will have to be at his very best because any laxity will be severely punished by Kane who is known for his quickness despite his size, runs from behind and ability to shoot with both feet.
Aside from scoring goals, Kane has also proved that he can be a creator of goals as evident to his five assists for Spurs last season.
This would also be a prelude to what Balogun should expect when the 2018/2019 Premier League following kicks off following his move from Bundesliga side Mainz 05 to Brighton and Hove Albion.

2. Kyle Wallker Vs Victor Moses
Both Victor Moses and Kyle Walker are no strangers to one another as they have clashed, on numerous occasions in the Premier League.
While Walker was part of a Manchester City side that blew every other side away and were crowned EPL and League Cup champions, Moses helped Chelsea clinch the FA Cup.
This should be an interesting matchup, especially for Walker as he will be coming up against a Moses who is one of the most deadly front players the Super Eagles parade.
At City, Walker has the licence to bomb forward to support the attack due to their domination in terms of ball possession. But with England, it is a different ball game as they
are not known to be a possession-oriented side.
Due to England’s different style of play, Walker would have to be at alert in his defensive duties
as he will be battling against a Moses who is known for direct runs and ability to ghost past his marker.

3. John Mikel Obi Vs Jordan Henderson
After sitting out the game against Democratic Republic of Congo in Port Harcourt on Monday, John Mikel Obi would be back in action for the Super Eagles against the Three Lions.
Without a doubt, Mikel remains the brain, heart and soul of the current Super Eagles squad and would have to bring all his wealth of experience especially in the midfield area.
On the English side, one player they would be banking on in the middle of the pack is Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson who will go up against a Mikel that will play more on the
offensive for the Super Eagles.
Henderson played a big part in Liverpool’s match to the Champions League final where they lost 3-1 to Real Madrid.
Full of running and hard on the tackles, it remains to be seen how Mikel will fare against Henderson in the battle for the midfield superiority.

4. Marcus Rashford Vs Shehu Abdullahi
Though not one of his best seasons since breaking into the Manchester United’s first team last two seasons, Marcus Rashford is one player who gives his all when dorning the colours of the Three Lions.
And task of keeping Rashford quiet for the Super Eagles goes to Bursaspor defender, Shehu Abdullahi.
Two of Rashford’s strong points are his pace and dribbling skills which could really trouble Abdullahi if the forward gets in the groove.
Though not the fastest, Abdullahi can make up for this with his ability to read dangerous situations and avert them.
Rashford should also be alert to the defensive side of his game because Abdullahi also has the ability to help Super Eagles in the attack.
Abdullahi’s recent productive attacking foray that easily comes to mind was his assist to Alex Iwobi whose goal secured the 2018 World Cup ticket thanks to a 1-0 win against Zambia in Uyo.

5. Odion Ighalo Vs John Stones
Odion Ighalo would fancy his chances when he go up against Manchester City’s John Stones.
On the back of a Premier League and Carabao Cup triumph, Stones looks to have improved under Pep Guardiola.
Anb improved Stones will battle it out with Ighalo who got the better of him during his debut season with Watford in the 2015/2016 season.
Playing on his debut for Watford, Ighalo was subbed on and he turned Stones then playing for Everton, inside out to put his side 2-1 ahead in the game that eventually ended 2-2.
Under Guardiola, Stones is known to be a well rounded, ball playing central defender. But it would be interesting to see how he would cope against an Ighalo who is known for his raw strength, dribbles and eye for goals.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/5-key-battles-in-england-vs-nigeria-friendly/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:10pm On Jun 01, 2018
Depending on the run of play and if Awaziem is fit, this will be my line up for first half, and after substitutions for England friendly:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:15pm On Jun 01, 2018
SE Jersey Sales Record is trending globally. It's adjudged as the finest Jersey for this Edition World Cup, in fact Notable Analysts are claiming SE has won Jersey's World Cup.... LOL!

Guess what.....?! Eyes gonna be on us at the Mundial. Are we gonna replicate the Beauty of our Jersey on the Pitch?! Are we gonna go Mourinho's Way or Pep's Way?!

Arms crossed till after England and Czech Republic Friendly Matches respectively. I ain't saying we should show all we get in the Matches, just a Tip.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:15pm On Jun 01, 2018
Edopesin:

I don't believe that story

I read another report that said 15 mins. Either way, the jerseys were sold out in minutes.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2018
somehow:

Pinnick's boy.. Not a secret to followers of the SE.

Lol funny you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2018
Joebie:
Depending on the run of play and if Awaziem is fit, this will be my line up for first half, and after substitutions for England friendly:

Awaziem is fit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2018
Breaking:

The Carl Ikeme flag will be displayed 1 minute before the players walk out at Wembley tomorrow. 2/3 blocks of Wolves fans will be in sections 108-114 for the England friendly against Nigeria.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2018
Oasis007:
SE Jersey Sales Record is trending globally. It's adjudged as the finest Jersey for this Edition World Cup, in fact Notable Analysts are claiming SE has won Jersey's World Cup.... LOL!

Guess what.....?! Eyes gonna be on us at the Mundial. Are we gonna replicate the Beauty of our Jersey on the Pitch?! Are we gonna go Mourinho's Way or Pep's Way?!

Arms crossed till after England and Czech Republic Friendly Matches respectively. I ain't saying we should show all we get in the Matches, just a Tip.

A good WC performance will boost sales even further...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2018
forgiveness:

These are Iwobi and Simon's stats during the WC qualifiers.

Decipher

1. Iwobi
2. Simon
Yes I have memory of the games they featured in but that post by you doesn't capture things like number of dribbles, crosses, assists etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:31pm On Jun 01, 2018
Martz101:

his not saying iwobi can't play in the middle
Okay please help me understand cos I know he's said that he's spoken about Iwobi as an AM on this thread but it appears to me that there's an aversion to that idea just because Mikel is there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:36pm On Jun 01, 2018
England friendly, another opportunity to showcase Eagles’ strength, says Simy
By Ayo Olu Ibidapo - June 1, 2018 488 0

Newly capped Super Eagles’ striker, Simeon Nwankwo, believes the friendly against the Three Lions of England at Wembley on Saturday will offer the Eagles an opportunity to showcase their strength ahead of the World Cup which kicks off in 14 days.
The FC Crotone striker told AOIFootball.com exclusively from the Eagles’ base in London, that although the game will be a tough one, he believes Nigeria has what it takes to put up a good showing against the former world champions.
“For me, the England game is just another opportunity for us to continue our preparations towards the World Cup and keep improving as individuals and as a team. Hopefully, we will get one over them on Saturday.
“The game will be a difficult one because they parade some of the best legs in the English Premier League, but we also have guys who have played there and are still playing their so we will put up a good fight and come out with a victory,” Simy concluded.
The 26-year-old striker earned his first cap against DR Congo earlier this week and will be hoping to earn his second when Nigeria takes on England at Wembley on Saturday afternoon.

AoiFootball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:37pm On Jun 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

A good WC performance will boost sales even further...

.... and add more Money to the NFF Bank Accounts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2018
Oasis007:

.... and add more Money to the NFF Bank Accounts.
hope not for embezzlement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SirLawrie007(m): 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
though I never intend to comment on this thread again, not because of the silly guys who come here to insult ppl neither is it because of some of the annoying off football comments I read here. my activities and reactivities was turned off on this thread because of the so called elders who believe this thread is created by them, for them and permissions to comment must come from them (una sabi unaselves) but guess what? me I go yarn, me I go speak my mind.

NIGERIA WILL DEFEAT ENGLAND TOMORROW!!! KELECHI and MUSA to be on the score sheet

EAGLES WILL SOAR HIGHLY HIGH IN RUSSIA, I SEE MIKEL LIFT SOMETHING AFTER THE TOURNEY.

I SEE 4 BIG CLUBS BATTLE ONE ANOTHER FOR THE SIGNATURE OF IWOBI

lobatan

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2018
Joebie:

I like your first line up.

However, for the second, please swap Iheanacho with Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2018
asha80:
hope not for embezzlement

grin

LMAO........ surely they gonna have their Cut, but I still have full Confidence in Pinnick-led NFF Board Sir.

It's Pinnick in charge Sir, no need to Panic, coz I believe he won't spend the Money on Picnic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2018
Troost-Ekong: Criticism By Oliseh Helped Me Improve; England’s Kane Was Good To Me
June 1, 2018 12:02 pm

Nigeria defender William Troost-Ekong says that criticisms from former Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh shaped his questk to excel at the international level.

Troost-Ekong, 25, who scored his first international goal for Nigeria in Monday’s pre-World friendly against Democratic Republic of Congo gained recognition after impressing with the country’s U-23 team that won bronze in the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

The centre-back and his central defence partner, Leon Balogun were impressive for the Super Eagles in the qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Now a key member of the Super Eagles team, the Bursaspor of Turkey defender’s journey to international stardom has however not been a rosy one.

“My partner at centre-back (new Brighton signing Leon Balogun) is half-German, half-Nigerian, so he is the same as me,” Troost-Ekong stated in an interview with Telegraph.co.uk.

“After a game, he (Sunday Oliseh) said we were too soft to play against African players. That upset me, because one of my traits as a player is that I am someone who does not back away from anyone. I am not the most skilful, but I know what I am good at.

“I think that’s part of being from different countries, different cultures. It’s not nice when people try to use that against you. I identify myself as being Nigerian as well, and I feel at home in the team.

“Not once have I ever looked around and thought ‘this is not for me’. But it spurred me on. I have played against African strikers since then and no one has bullied me. I have proven my point.”

Troost-Ekong played for the Netherlands at junior levels but made his debut for the Super Eagles in 2015 after an impressive season on loan at Dutch side FC Dordrecht.

The duo of Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi could have played for England, but they chose to represent Nigeria instead and the rugged defender reckons that it is important for players to go where they are appreciated.

“You have to go where you are loved, where you are appreciated,” he insisted.
“It is more appealing for younger players. It is opening doors for foreign-born Nigerians, and I think there are going to be more to follow. Nigeria is a giant of African football.”

The Super Eagles will come up against England in a friendly game at the Wembley Stadium on Saturday which provides an opportunity for a reunion with Harry Kane, his former teammate at Tottenham Hotspur who once helped him fill out his registration form when he was a fresh-faced scholar at the club.

“He was one of the first guys that sat me down and helped me,” Troost-Ekong said of Kane.

“It’s amazing to see how well he has done.”
He recalls how left Tottenham Hotspur for Dutch club in 2013 following the appointment of Tim Sherwood as manager
“Me and Tim did not have the best rapport,” he stated.

“He did not really believe in me as a player.”
Troost-Ekong believes he has an unfinished business in the English Premier League and hopes to be back someday.

“I’ve taken a different route,” he added
“But if I can get to the Premier League, I will feel like I have achieved a lot.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/troost-ekong-criticism-by-oliseh-helped-my-improvement-englands-kane-was-good-to-me-kane/

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2018
What is the chance that Pinnick would retain his sit if there is no chop chop in his administration? Of course there has to be chop chop. But the players have to be happy, ao we the fans can be happy too. Else...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2018
Croatia Defender Corluka More Worried By Musa Than Messi
1 June 1, 2018 10:53 am

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka has pinpointed Ahmed Musa as one of the main threats in the Super Eagles team ahead of their opening Group D clash at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Both players featured in the Russian Premier League last seaso and are expected to be named in the final squads for Nigeria and Croatia who will face off at the Kaliningrad Stadium on the 16th of June.

Argentina and Iceland are the other teams in the group.

Musa, one of the experienced players in Nigeria’s World Cup bound squad, played for CSKA Moscow on loan from Leicester City last season, scoring seven goals in 16 appearances.

“I have not been thinking much about Messi, because we face Nigeria first, a match that will determine our chances of reaching the next round,” Corluka who plays for Lokomotiv Moscow told net.hr.
“I know some Nigerian players, especially Musa from CSKA Moscow.

“He (Musa) is very fast, pretty good and it will not be easy for us.
“Every group is tough, everyone will come prepared. Against Brazil we will play the maximum because it is not possible for such a rival.

“Messi is phenomenal, everyone will enjoy playing against him, but this is not important for us.”

Musa has scored 13 goals in 69 international appearances for the national team since he made his debut in 2010.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-defender-corluka-more-worried-by-musa-than-messi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:53pm On Jun 01, 2018
^^^^^^^

How many times Dudes gonna post the Gist above?! Una no dey read the previous pages before una drop updates at all?!

Joebie gave una idea, taa una no dey follow. Im don advise una to dey post the Updates in color but una must sha follow una minds.

To avoid Repetitions, I advise we heed to Joebie's Suggestion. Let's apply probably green color to the Updates before posting it pls.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
Oliseh try well well
MetalJigsaw:
Troost-Ekong: Criticism By Oliseh Helped Me Improve; England’s Kane Was Good To Me

Nigeria defender William Troost-Ekong says that criticisms from former Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh shaped his questk to excel at the international level.

Troost-Ekong, 25, who scored his first international goal for Nigeria in Monday’s pre-World friendly against Democratic Republic of Congo gained recognition after impressing with the country’s U-23 team that won bronze in the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

The centre-back and his central defence partner, Leon Balogun were impressive for the Super Eagles in the qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Now a key member of the Super Eagles team, the Bursaspor of Turkey defender’s journey to international stardom has however not been a rosy one.

“My partner at centre-back (new Brighton signing Leon Balogun) is half-German, half-Nigerian, so he is the same as me,” Troost-Ekong stated in an interview with Telegraph.co.uk.

“After a game, he (Sunday Oliseh) said we were too soft to play against African players. That upset me, because one of my traits as a player is that I am someone who does not back away from anyone. I am not the most skilful, but I know what I am good at.

“I think that’s part of being from different countries, different cultures. It’s not nice when people try to use that against you. I identify myself as being Nigerian as well, and I feel at home in the team.

“Not once have I ever looked around and thought ‘this is not for me’. But it spurred me on. I have played against African strikers since then and no one has bullied me. I have proven my point.”

Troost-Ekong played for the Netherlands at junior levels but made his debut for the Super Eagles in 2015 after an impressive season on loan at Dutch side FC Dordrecht.

The duo of Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi could have played for England, but they chose to represent Nigeria instead and the rugged defender reckons that it is important for players to go where they are appreciated.

“It is more appealing for younger players. It is opening doors for foreign-born Nigerians, and I think there are going to be more to follow. Nigeria is a giant of African football.”

The Super Eagles will come up against England in a friendly game at the Wembley Stadium on Saturday which provides an opportunity for a reunion with Harry Kane, his former teammate at Tottenham Hotspur who once helped him fill out his registration form when he was a fresh-faced scholar at the club.

“He was one of the first guys that sat me down and helped me,” Troost-Ekong said of Kane.

He recalls how left Tottenham Hotspur for Dutch club in 2013 following the appointment of Tim Sherwood as manager

Troost-Ekong believes he has an unfinished business in the English Premier League and hopes to be back someday.

“But if I can get to the Premier League, I will feel like I have achieved a lot.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/troost-ekong-criticism-by-oliseh-helped-my-improvement-englands-kane-was-good-to-me-kane/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2018
Thank me later
MetalJigsaw:
Croatia Defender Corluka More Worried By Musa Than Messi
1 June 1, 2018 10:53 am

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka has pinpointed Ahmed Musa as one of the main threats in the Super Eagles team ahead of their opening Group D clash at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Both players featured in the Russian Premier League last seaso and are expected to be named in the final squads for Nigeria and Croatia who will face off at the Kaliningrad Stadium on the 16th of June.

Argentina and Iceland are the other teams in the group.

Musa, one of the experienced players in Nigeria’s World Cup bound squad, played for CSKA Moscow on loan from Leicester City last season, scoring seven goals in 16 appearances.

“I have not been thinking much about Messi, because we face Nigeria first, a match that will determine our chances of reaching the next round,” Corluka who plays for Lokomotiv Moscow told net.hr.
“I know some Nigerian players, especially Musa from CSKA Moscow.

“He (Musa) is very fast, pretty good and it will not be easy for us.
“Every group is tough, everyone will come prepared. Against Brazil we will play the maximum because it is not possible for such a rival.

“Messi is phenomenal, everyone will enjoy playing against him, but this is not important for us.”

Musa has scored 13 goals in 69 international appearances for the national team since he made his debut in 2010.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-defender-corluka-more-worried-by-musa-than-messi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2018
It was not my suggestion, but let me modify
Oasis007:
^^^^^^^

How many times Dudes gonna post the Gist above?! Una no dey read the previous before pages before una drop updates at all?!

Joebie gave una idea, taa una no dey follow. Im don advise una to dey post the Updates in color but una must sha follow una minds.

To avoid Repetitions, I advise we heed to Joebie's Suggestion. Let's apply probably green color to the Updates before posting it pls.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 5:00pm On Jun 01, 2018
Match Don start?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 5:00pm On Jun 01, 2018
Joebie:
It was not my suggestion, but let me modify

Thought it was yours though, but still it's a good Idea cos I've read some Updates in green Color already - posted by you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
Yes and purple. I’ve forgotten the moniker that brought up that great suggestion
Oasis007:

Thought it was yours though, but still it's a good Idea cos I've read some Updates in green Color already - posted by you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

wow....in certain climes and under different people, this would be regarded as racist
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2018
It's official, Moses Simon has been ruled out of this year's FIFA World Cup...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2018
Opposition Analysis: How can Nigeria beat
England?

Ahead of Saturday's international friendly between
Nigeria and England, ex-Zambia assistant coach
and Queens Park Rangers opposition analyst Irfan
Kawri assesses the Three Lions' strengths and
weaknesses.
When Nigeria's Gernot Rohr looks at the England
World Cup squad, three words will surely spring
to mind: youth, potential and talent, and the
Super Eagles must be wary when they step onto
the turf at Wembley on Saturday.
England coach Gareth Southgate has spoken a lot
about his playing philosophy, and has talked a lot
about his style of play.
He clearly wants a possession-based team that
attacks the opposition playing through the thirds
and developing the play from the back.
It's imperative that Nigeria don't let England
settle into this rhythm and ensure that they break
up the home side's attempts to establish their
dominance in the heart of the midfield and control
the game.
If he's passed fit to play - and if he's risked -
Wilfred Ndidi could be key for the Super Eagles.
He was the Premier League's most effective
tackler last term, and he'll know the opponents
well after 18 months with Leicester City.
He's a master at breaking down opposition
attacks and winning the ball back for his side,
although playing him so soon after his hamstring
injury would be a gamble for Rohr.
England also have a lot of pace and energy, and
while they're exciting, they may lack experience,
leaders and real world-class quality.
This means that while Nigeria should be wary of
their opponents, they mustn't be afraid of
England, and should feel confident that they have
the talent to secure a positive result in front of
what should be a sizeable Nigerian fanbase.
In John Obi Mikel, the Eagles also have the most
experienced player on the pitch, and his
leadership and calming influence will be key if
Nigeria are to ride out the inevitable storm, hold
their own and then establish themselves in the
contest.
Of course, Nigeria must watch out for Harry Kane,
who's a proven goalscorer in the Premier League.
The Eagles defenders will be aware of his
qualities inside the box, but he's also a danger in
the approach play, although he can be stopped.
Nigerian defenders William Troost-Ekong and
Leon Balogun must read the game well and
anticipate when the ball is to be played to Kane
in order to cut off the supply and isolate the
Tottenham Hotspur man.
You don't want to let Kane get a run at the
centre-backs either, so the centre-backs would
also do well to get tight to him, close him down
quickly, and prevent him from building
momentum.
Elsewhere, Raheem Sterling has developed further
under the guidance of Pep Guardiola, and can
really attack the opposition with pace and
dribbling ability.
Nigeria's full-backs - particularly Ola Aina,
Tyronne Ebuehi and Brian Idowu - love to push
forward and join the attack, but against England,
they must be wary of Sterling's pace and pick
their moments to press forward very carefully.
I really think the exciting talent in this England
team is Ruben Loftus-Cheek. He's a player with
excellent natural ability, who has impressed on
loan at Crystal Palace from Chelsea, and now has
the chance to make an impact at the World Cup.
He has strength, pace, has shown excellent
composure on the ball, and he can pick up
possession from deep positions and drive forward.
If the 22-year-old gets the opportunity to play
against Nigeria, then Rohr would do well to
negate him by using a similarly dynamic player -
someone like Ogenyi Onazi or Oghenekaro Etebo -
who can track Loftus-Cheek's runs and keep this
threat shackled.
In the last two games, Southgate has played a
back three with John Stones as the central
defender. Could he be a point of weakness that
Nigeria can attempt to exploit?
Stones is accomplished as a ball-playing centre-
half, but he hasn't played so much this term and
can be got at physically.
Bearing this in mind, Saturday's game could be a
really good opportunity for Odion Ighalo or,
ideally, Simeon Nwankwo, to lead the line for the
Eagles and give Stones a good physical battle.
The latter, in particular, is a towering prospect
and after netting seven times against Serie A's
miserly defences this term, should relish the
notion of testing himself against Stones.
It will be intriguing to see how the Manchester
City man - and indeed, the rest of the defensive
unit - cope when Nigeria's wealth of attacking
talent can exert some pressure on them.
Nigeria should also look to exploit the channels
at Wembley, and Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi and
Victor Moses could be key figures in opening up
the hosts.
England's possession-based approach means
they'll look to commit men forward, and with a
back three, there should be spaces in the
channels which can be exploited if Nigeria can get
the ball forward quickly.
If Nigeria can match England for energy and deny
them space and time, this should stymie
England's chief attacking threats.
If Rohr can do this, then he has the forwards who
can both exploit space and - in Simy and Ighalo -
engage England's defenders in a physical battle. http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3514807/opposition-analysis-how-can-nigeria-beat-england?src=com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:36pm On Jun 01, 2018
Wow. That would be a very nice gesture!

And by the way, I hope that you guys would be willing and able to provide links to those of us who have no access to the telecast. This NL crew have never failed me before so I am sure you guys would come through again tomorrow.

O pari

Oasis007:
Breaking:

The Carl Ikeme flag will be displayed 1 minute before the players walk out at Wembley tomorrow. 2/3 blocks of Wolves fans will be in sections 108-114 for the England friendly against Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:39pm On Jun 01, 2018
safarigirl:
wow....in certain climes and under different people, this would be regarded as racist

People say the same thing about Ebuehi even after his performance against DRC. We saw some of the comments here sef.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:47pm On Jun 01, 2018
Icon79:
Are you serious? So these people even came all the way to PH to watch this game? Na wao. By the time we're done, they would know our team even better than we do sef. But it takes more than scouting to win matches sha.

O pari

I just hope our scout is doing the same. Any idea?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3830) (3831) (3832) (3833) (3834) (3835) (3836) ... (16258) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ekehopp2, Tessyy1701, sureleads, chrisooblog, chuks404, femianski, maidaboi(m), Pidginwhisper, AlbertoIancu, Toylove, EEGA, 10cedes, superbloke(m), LoverOfPussy and 19 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.