Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3834) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11889640 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3831) (3832) (3833) (3834) (3835) (3836) (3837) ... (16274) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:50pm On Jun 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

People say the same thing about Ebuehi even after his performance against DRC. We saw some of the comments here sef.

Some analysts say Ebuehi did not measure up, I tire. Ebuehi, Balogun and Awaziem are the most technical defenders we have
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2018
Unlimited22:
Match Don start?
nigeria leading by 3 goals to 0 75mins gone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOMnaija(m): 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2018
This guy sealed his spot in the team to Russia right from his first day in training, lobbing the ball over ezenwa to secure his side's only goal.

I present to you, rohr's battling ram.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2018
Icon79:
Yup. I totally agree. During and prior to 2014 world cup Onazi used to be one of our best players but since then his quality has drastically depreciated. And he always gets beaten to pace these days, which often makes him hammer one of those rough tackles. Let's hope he doesn't see red in Russia.

O pari

I blame Rohr for this. Onazi should be instructed to lose weight be the WC. How can Rohr be blind to such nonsense??

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOMnaija(m): 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
Nigeria's complete track suit for the 2018 world cup costs a whooping 70 thousand naira shocked

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Troost-Ekong: Criticism By Oliseh Helped Me Improve; England’s Kane Was Good To Me
June 1, 2018 12:02 pm

Nigeria defender William Troost-Ekong says that criticisms from former Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh shaped his questk to excel at the international level.

Troost-Ekong, 25, who scored his first international goal for Nigeria in Monday’s pre-World friendly against Democratic Republic of Congo gained recognition after impressing with the country’s U-23 team that won bronze in the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

The centre-back and his central defence partner, Leon Balogun were impressive for the Super Eagles in the qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Now a key member of the Super Eagles team, the Bursaspor of Turkey defender’s journey to international stardom has however not been a rosy one.

“My partner at centre-back (new Brighton signing Leon Balogun) is half-German, half-Nigerian, so he is the same as me,” Troost-Ekong stated in an interview with Telegraph.co.uk.

“After a game, he (Sunday Oliseh) said we were too soft to play against African players. That upset me, because one of my traits as a player is that I am someone who does not back away from anyone. I am not the most skilful, but I know what I am good at.

“I think that’s part of being from different countries, different cultures. It’s not nice when people try to use that against you. I identify myself as being Nigerian as well, and I feel at home in the team.

“Not once have I ever looked around and thought ‘this is not for me’. But it spurred me on. I have played against African strikers since then and no one has bullied me. I have proven my point.”

Troost-Ekong played for the Netherlands at junior levels but made his debut for the Super Eagles in 2015 after an impressive season on loan at Dutch side FC Dordrecht.

The duo of Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi could have played for England, but they chose to represent Nigeria instead and the rugged defender reckons that it is important for players to go where they are appreciated.

“You have to go where you are loved, where you are appreciated,” he insisted.
“It is more appealing for younger players. It is opening doors for foreign-born Nigerians, and I think there are going to be more to follow. Nigeria is a giant of African football.”

The Super Eagles will come up against England in a friendly game at the Wembley Stadium on Saturday which provides an opportunity for a reunion with Harry Kane, his former teammate at Tottenham Hotspur who once helped him fill out his registration form when he was a fresh-faced scholar at the club.

“He was one of the first guys that sat me down and helped me,” Troost-Ekong said of Kane.

“It’s amazing to see how well he has done.”
He recalls how left Tottenham Hotspur for Dutch club in 2013 following the appointment of Tim Sherwood as manager
“Me and Tim did not have the best rapport,” he stated.

“He did not really believe in me as a player.”
Troost-Ekong believes he has an unfinished business in the English Premier League and hopes to be back someday.

“I’ve taken a different route,” he added
“But if I can get to the Premier League, I will feel like I have achieved a lot.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/troost-ekong-criticism-by-oliseh-helped-my-improvement-englands-kane-was-good-to-me-kane/

I don't feel there was any harm intended by Oliseh. I don't think Oliseh wasn't playing him simply because he was mixed because Oliseh was the first SE coach to use Leon as a CB against Cameroon for that matter.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
Joebie:
Honestly i’d Prefer Mikel as a CM. He will help us control the midfield even better without us losing that passing range, with Iwobi upfront. I’d rather play Musa as LW. Guys, Musa is in the form of his life going by how he ended the season. Credits to CSKA coach. I though he did pretty well against Congo DR even in that yeye pitch.

Yeah Musa on his day is a great outlet for the counter and gets goals too. I like putting in Etebo because he's a slightly better ball carrier and more defensively astute than Musa. His stamina is crazy.
But we know Rohr. He'll still go with 2 destroyers. If he goes that route, I'd rather Joel Obi starts instead of Onazi. I still feel he is better on the ball and brings more energy and aggression than Onazi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I blame Rohr for this. Onazi should be instructed to lose weight be the WC. How can Rohr be blind to such nonsense??

How can Rohr control the amount of eba Onazi swallows everyday ?
Every player is getting lean while Onazi is getting bigger.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2018
We will surely miss Moses Simon.
He is the only winger close to V. Moses. Players who can wriggle their way out of tight position.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2018
Oasis007:

That's exactly what most Dudes here don't wanna understand. Comparing Iwobi at Arsenal with Iwobi in GWG is absolutely wrong.

You've really addressed it clearly in the bolded Parts. For Iwobi to thrive, he must play behind the Striker [as a 10 or 8] , but right now we've got too many DMs/CMs in the Squad hence Mikel can't be added to the List.

I would have preferred your Concept if I'm in charge, cos its a great Idea - apparently we gonna feel and enjoy the fluidity of the Team as well as entertaining Transition of Ball from Defence to Attack.

However, Rohr ain't gonna play Mikel in a Deeper Role, the Reason is; I'm a bit convinced Joel will make the final List. He's gonna play in a Deeper Role slightly behind Mikel as a CM, while either of Ndidi or Onazi plays as a DM.

I won't be surprised if Ogu is eventually but unfortunately dropped from the 23-Man List. Guess you wanna know the Reason?! Onazi and Ndidi as DMs, Agu and Joel as CMs, Obi and Etebo (based on Rohr's Tactics so far) as AMs.

Instead of Etebo as an AM, I would have preferred Iwobi as an AM while Etebo is classed among the Forward as a Winger. He gets the Qualities to excel as a Winger not as an attacking Midfielder.
A Mikel - Joel Obi - Ndidi is great on paper. The only problem is Joel Obi is yet to transfer his club form to the team. If he can do that, then we'll be fine. Both he and Ndidi are energetic and aggressive, Joel can dribble and his short passes isn't that bad. Problem is he hasn't shown any of these with the NT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I don't feel there was any harm intended by Oliseh. I don't think Oliseh wasn't playing him simply because he was mixed because Oliseh was the first SE coach to use Leon as a CB against Cameroon for that matter.

The same Oliseh??

How many players did he fight with?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2018
Hey guys, while some unknown mofos are here trynna talk down on our up and coming stars, read what dedicated young hope "Tosin Kehinde" has to say about the Super Eagles next generation of stars, especially, KC Nwakali ;

Exclusive: Tosin Kehinde – Next Generation Of Super Eagles Exciting

Posted By: soccerass on: June 01, 2018In: The DugoutNo Comments
Print Email.

Nigeria’s Super Eagles are set for their sixth appearance at the world cup tournament and many are filled with contained options.

The general consensus is while the current setup is not as complete as the legendary 94/96 set, they are still loaded with a truckload of talented individuals and coupled with the resolute efficiency their German tactician Gernot Rohr brings they should be capable of ruffling more than a few feathers in Russia.

One person who shares this belief is Manchester Uniteds Nigerian wonder-kid Tosin Kehinde who himself recently declared his readiness to don the nations green white green.

The 19 year old Lagos born Tosin who admires the unbridled skill of the legendary Jay Jay Okocha is convinced the current squad are going to cause more than a few upsets in Russia.

“Of course we can make an Impact at the world cup” Tosin told Soccer Assembly
“We have a tricky group but we should make it out…. from there we have to stay solid in the back and work our way up the field with confidence.”
“We have players that are good on the ball that can do that”.

“When the opportunity comes we have to be clinical… once we earn our respect and a good reputation early on in the competition, we have a good shot to do something special!”

However while he admires the current squad, Tosin who says he is already ready for National team duties see the upcoming generation of which he is a part of as equally as talented and exciting .

“The next generation of players coming through are really exciting! Really exciting times !” Tosin told Soccer Assembly after Nigeria’s exhibition game against Europa league Champions Atletico Madrid in which Arsenal Youngster Kelechi Nwakali scored a sensational goal

“Kelechi is a beast” Tosin said of Nwakalis goal with unhidden admiration, “Amazing! His technique and range is simply amazing”
“Ebere Eze is another young Nigerian player with so much promise. He has very good feet and can do amazing things with the ball”.

QPR’s Eze also looks set for a role with the Super Eagles in the near future and trained with the team in London back in March
Surely a team with him, Nwakali, Kehinde and the many other youngsters is a tantalizing prospect to envisaged.

Tosin has had an excellent season with Manchester Uniteds U23s and while he may not have closed particularly too well no thanks to injuries he has been severally tipped to be a first teamer come next season.

Barring any last minute hitches this future Eagles star will be at Wembley taking notes from the present with an eye on the future . . . . .

To agent Southgate and Saint Forgiveness can u guys see how a true Nigeria should speak of his team even though he resides overseas? The same Nwakali who you two were/are bickering over his invitation is being exalted here by one who plays and understands the game, that goes to show you two that what u feel or think about "the beast" like Kehinde put it, is inconsequential

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

The same Oliseh??

How many players did he fight with?

I wasn't talking about that o abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:17pm On Jun 01, 2018
krattoss:
Own goal is reporting that Simon Moses is back in training.. Although is not yet confirmed..

But if true, wahala dey
What wahala?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2018
gamaliel9:

When i saw the small boy sitting down in front on PINK OVERALL...i smiled and thank God...i have forgotten his name...but his is a lion waiting to roar...an eagle waiting to soar....he use to play with adults and his ball distribution...kai top notch....Let him keep developing....our midfield is the bag
What position does he play and how good is he?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2018
So we're left with 1 player to be dropped between ogu, agu, elderson and aina since simon isnt going....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2018
edi287:

I.e as an inverted winger. A few people have said the same. It honestly depends on who is playing in the middle. He can obviously swap positions with an Ozil but not a Mikel. This is why I've been advocating for moving Mikel a bit deeper. Play Iwobi or even Etebo (if you're afraid of Iwobi's workrate) in front. When you have Iwobi - Etebo - Vic Moses or Simon Moses - Iwobi - Vic Moses behind Ighalo/Iheanacho, what you have is a very mobile and fluid front 4 capable of interchanging position at will.
A Mikel as a Dlp can still be a big creative influence. Build up play will be better and they'll still be enough creativity in the final third.
Baba Icon4s what say you Sire to this astute analysis?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2018
Yeah yea .... you're right!

Well, if that's the case, I've got good news for him. He doesn't have to worry about Musa at all because Musa ain't starting against Croatia.

O pari

MetalJigsaw:
Croatia Defender Corluka More Worried By Musa Than Messi
1 June 1, 2018 10:53 am

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka has pinpointed Ahmed Musa as one of the main threats in the Super Eagles team ahead of their opening Group D clash at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Both players featured in the Russian Premier League last seaso and are expected to be named in the final squads for Nigeria and Croatia who will face off at the Kaliningrad Stadium on the 16th of June.

Argentina and Iceland are the other teams in the group.

Musa, one of the experienced players in Nigeria’s World Cup bound squad, played for CSKA Moscow on loan from Leicester City last season, scoring seven goals in 16 appearances.

“I have not been thinking much about Messi, because we face Nigeria first, a match that will determine our chances of reaching the next round,” Corluka who plays for Lokomotiv Moscow told net.hr.
“I know some Nigerian players, especially Musa from CSKA Moscow.

“He (Musa) is very fast, pretty good and it will not be easy for us.
“Every group is tough, everyone will come prepared. Against Brazil we will play the maximum because it is not possible for such a rival.

“Messi is phenomenal, everyone will enjoy playing against him, but this is not important for us.”

Musa has scored 13 goals in 69 international appearances for the national team since he made his debut in 2010.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-defender-corluka-more-worried-by-musa-than-messi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2018
Haha!! Is weight really the problem or is old age catching up with him? How old is Onazi anyway? Real age not football age grin

O pari

MetalJigsaw:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2018
somehow:
So we're left with 1 player to be dropped between ogu, agu, elderson and aina since simon isnt going....

2 players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2018
Ebuehi's level of confidence is second to non. The guy does not forces it-he takes it very simple.

Akpeyi needs to pack his bag(s) and move to Ebuehi's room. Who knows Ebuehi's confidence might rub on him.

Jokes apart, of all our new recruits starting with Iwobi, Ebuehi is the only one who settled in quickly. It took the rest so much time to put themselves together for national team football. Even Joel, who is not relatively new to GWG has been trying to force things. Thereby failing to replicate his club performances in the GWG. Same too is applied to Aina.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2018
gamaliel9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL0e1_oqzwA

I found him.... le petit in PINK
why is this Omidiji so popular ...hmmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2018
Well, with Rohr in charge, I would hope so. But I know for sure that most Nigerian coaches (Keshi and Oliseh, for instance) don't believe in scouting. Oliseh would be drinking tea in Belgium while telling the whole world that the NFF didn't send him the tapes of Egypt's matches. And I was like, is this dude for real? And he wasn't even ashamed to say that nonsense in public!

O pari

MetalJigsaw:
I just hope our scout is doing the same. Any idea?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:27pm On Jun 01, 2018
Mujtahida:

The forwards mentioned in the formation were Simi, Vicmo, mikel and Musa. OmanB said that he would rather have Ighalo on the right than Musa. I now added that plus Ighalo (meaning that Ighalo in addition to the other forwards) any defence will crack. As in Simi as the arrow head, Vicmo on the LWF, Mikel as AM and Ighalo as RWF will surely be hot for any defence to handle.
But Rohr won't see it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2018
Leon will be out there tomorow to make a statement and pass a message to his new employer- that he'll be capable of holding his own against The EPL top stars.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2018
Icon79:
Haha!! Is weight really the problem or is old age catching up with him? How old is Onazi anyway? Real age not football age grin

O pari

Sir what is football age but his real age Google should do that for you.

Kai O pari master you want to start another debate on age?NO

I dey gbadun your analysis on Nigeria/England so continue and leave Onazi age matter.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2018
you mean switching positions?
Icon4s:

I like your first line up.

However, for the second, please swap Iheanacho with Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2018
OMANBALA1:

What if VicMo did not shine, does that mean the Eagles can't fly ?
It's hard for Victor Moses not to shine for SE these days. His accumulated experience and crazy magnitude of confidence dwarfs such possibility of him struggling in SE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:35pm On Jun 01, 2018
OMANBALA1:
Etebor can not play the central nor defensive midfielder than Agu and you can take that to the back.
Etebo can play everywhere but actually cannot play anywhere if we judge by his performances thus far.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:36pm On Jun 01, 2018
Haha grin grin grin

Unfortunately, we have to ask those questions with Nigerian players.

O pari

Kog45:
Sir what is football age but his real age Google should do that for you.

Kai O pari master you want to start another debate on age?NO

I dey gbadun your analysis on Nigeria/England so continue and leave Onazi age matter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2018
Since Rohr took over, the only side that has given his EAGLES(full team) run for their money remains the ZAMBIANS. Simply because of the strategy of play they adopted-LONG BALL.

Rohr Eagles have found it hard to curtail sides that play Long ball. I only hope Rohr and his team have fixed this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3831) (3832) (3833) (3834) (3835) (3836) (3837) ... (16274) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: EEGA, lukasa, kellycute(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.