Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,960 members, 7,852,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3837) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11878455 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3834) (3835) (3836) (3837) (3838) (3839) (3840) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2018
isan:
Not really if he doesn't make it we will have like five or six foreign born players

I meant the English breed players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

25 players plus Victor Moses

Ok, that makes it 26.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2018
Kog45:
Sir pls any updates on Ndidi injury cos fear dey catch me o.

CC:tbaba1234

Reports in camp says he has not trained with the team....Not very good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:14pm On Jun 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

If Ogu plays little or no part in the England friendly and Agu plays a part, then i think Ogu will be dropped. Agu played pretty well against DRC when he came on and he appears to be doing well in training according to reports. It is not as clear cut.
If Agu makes it ahead of Ogu it is purely out of sentiment on Rohrs part. Agu doing well in training is mere propaganda for me. Ogu is far better

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:16pm On Jun 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
If Agu makes it ahead of Ogu it is purely out of sentiment on Rohrs part. Agu doing well in training is mere propaganda for me. Ogu is far better

Until Algeria and Argentina game Agu was ahead of Ogu in the pecking order, so, I won't be surprised if Ogu is dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:17pm On Jun 01, 2018
Icon4s:

No matter which tactical formation, Iwobi is a starter.
and If he no start?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2018
LieDetector:
Ogu was present at the last world cup
No, he wasn't
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:23pm On Jun 01, 2018
KK50:

Which results have they produced when it mattered? A shamble and lucky outing in Poland?, a pathetic performance against the Serbs who struggle against the Croatians? a disappointing farewell match in front of home fans in port harcourt in a horrible football pitch which the Congolese dominated you on??.........A potential loss to the 3 Lions in wembley?

Sir, are you for real?

What if we lost the Poland game what would be your narrative? If you aren't envious of SE would u be here?

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:28pm On Jun 01, 2018
Iwobi and moses will be there
forgiveness:

I meant the English based players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2018
realpoacher:

K. Nwakali is not a one match player.

FYI, he has been a constant performer in the Nigerian Jersey, thats why he is seen as a special talent to us. We are used to him because he is closer to us, he grew up here, his early teenage years were all for our underage teams in which he performed excellently well and he has been point blank outstanding among all his peers from homegrown Nigeria.

You are measuring him with European football standards but we are measuring him with our own local standard.

He was molded from a young teen and exported to Europe after excelling here. Right now in Europe, he is not performing because reason being that like all other previous examples of homegrown Nigerian players who will have to re-learn football basics, adapt to new food, weather, culture, and lifestyle. Inorder words he has to start all over again.

The good thing is, he has age on his side as he is currently 19. And he will surely excel at "his" time

Now before you start your lengthy preaching about how at 19 he should be tearing apart all leagues, listen and listen good. Except for Pele, Messi, and Maybe Ronaldo De lima,... No player that ever played on planet earth had an excellent, world class, successful, and illustrious career from 18- 30 years stretch.

At some point in time players struggle, even Messi was MOTM at u17 and u20 but he was relatively unknown at age 20. He sat out on the bench studying from Ronaldinho and Eto at Barcelona and studied under Crespo and co in the Argentine squad to the 2006 world cup.

Honestly you have to cut the boy some slack because the boy deserves every nurture he gets from us because he is our golden boy. His skills and ability are not in doubt because he performs every time he puts on our Jersey. He will mature, and begin to perform at his clubside soon, its just a matter of time.

On a final note,

You should really be ashamed comparing these your foreign born Nigerian origin players with those who are from home here who comes to England after crossing seven sees and seven mountains only to be measured on the same wavelength with those that are born and bred there. Compared to those that learned football right from their childhood in the UK yet they can't seem to succeed within their mates.

These your foreign born are used to the weather, food, culture, lifestyle and football basics yet they are not tearing apart the Epl.. NO!!.. They are in the Championship and League 1 struggling. They are looking for cheap landing by fighting for spots in the SE inorder to boost their failed career. If football was so easy, how come they can't succeed in it after having so many advantages.?

Look at Aina, there was nothing that wasn't said here by you guys when you were marketing him to NFF, look at how ordinary his play is. Your lame defense?... That he is been played at of position. Let me tell you, in Lagos state alone, i can show you 5 right footed players that will perfectly play our left back far better than this shabby performance displayed by Aina.

Go to Calaba, Awka ibom, Delta, or Jos and you will see right-footers who will comfortably put aina on the bench, the only thing stopping them is the big word "Opportunity".

You have been asked severally to provide an answer why a lad who is not in the England squared currently training with the first team but you seem to be evading the question. Was it on merit that he was chosen?.. Is he tearing apart the EPL currently?

Will you say that when Jack Wilshire was England golden boy or he was the best then?... Even at his best then can you say that he was better than this present K. Nwakali? Atleast k. Nwakali proved himself at the u17 cadet worldwide level, can the same be said of Wilshire then? Someone that wenger took straight from Academy and gave him the preferential treatment.

The big question is where is Wilshire today?.....

Bros,.. There is a time for everything. The career life span of most players is 12 years professionally. Within this period, they don't shine all through, some shine early and fizzle out latter. Many others shine in the middle of their career ie Mo sallah. Some others are late bloomers ie Didier Drogba.

Its just a microscopic few that have the luxury of shinning all through their career ie Pele, Messi and Ronaldo.

So why won't you go easy on K. Nwakali? Is he the reason why Ovie, Ebere, Josh Onoma are not being invited?... Is he the reason why they have not switched allegiance?... Don't they have agents?.. If others are paying bribe, don't they have the money to pay bribe too?... ... Oh! I see.. They have been spoon fed all through their life. Everything they wanted came easy, they are in the UK where life is easy, they were bought football boots for by their parents and forced into the field to play ball. They didn't had to play barefooted ever, they didn't have to carry blocks at building site to raise money for boots.

No wonder they are waiting for Buhari to send a contigent to them to switch allegiance and hustle their way into the SE.... SMH!!!.. They go wait tire... They never ready.. They go grow old with white bia bia... Dem never see anything.

Make dem the wait o!... Tell them make they wait well well...

Let them not worry... When we get an angel to rule Nigeria, and all our corruption issues are over then we would send a 40 man delegation plus a red carpet and a host of dancers over to convince them to play for us.

But before then,... Allow us to nurture and give our preferential treatment to our homegrown local breed talent in peace..!

Rubbish angry
easy guy..... This na brutality o..... Elder Kog45 will call this confrontational analysis...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:38pm On Jun 01, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Until Algeria and Argentina game Agu was ahead of Ogu in the pecking order, so, I won't be surprised if Ogu is dropped.

Hmm so mikel agu don get fans ?

The last time I check ogu haven't got bad games

So because mikel agu played against Congo means ogu will be dropped ?

Sometimes I wonder how una dey watch una ball,una don turn Congo to Brazil.

Make we dey see.

As far as I am concerned ogu is better than agu,But I will always respect the coach decision.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2018
you are too negative minded.all this hate just because kayode wasnt good enough for the worldcup. better try hugging a transformer near you
forgiveness:
This coach is fooling himself. Is he serious?

Which team doesn't have team spirit? Does he thinks other teams don't have the mix of team spirit and world class players? He is fooling the gullibles not me.

No wonder!

The bolded suggested that somebody is here watching.

I don't believe that statement. it's false.

Rohr Explains Why Super Eagles Don't Need A Mohamed Salah In The Squad

Published: June 01, 2018

Manager Gernot Rohr has said that the Super Eagles don't need a Mohamed Salah before they perform well at the 2018 World Cup and has stressed that the unity in the team has been key to their success.

The former Bayern Munich defender has repeatedly stated that there are no marquee players that can single-handedly determine the outcome of matches and they will have to play as a unit if they are qualify for the second round of the World Cup.

''I think it's fantastic for Egypt to have such a player, just as Argentina have (Lionel) Messi or Croatia have Luka Modric,'' Rohr told Deutsche Welle.

''But we have a good team spirit instead. It is not the individual quality, even if that quality is huge, that will make the difference, but the best team spirit. This is more important than having one Mohamed Salah.''

More than ninety five percent of the players named in the updated preliminary World Cup roster represent foreign clubs and are from different tribes and Rohr has insisted that it is not difficult to create a good team spirit.

''I don’t need to create that. We already have a good team spirit because everybody is happy to come and to play for Nigeria and to represent the green and white colors.

''And on the field we keep it simple. There's usually not much time for preparation so I use simple tactics that all the players can understand no matter which club they play for,'' he added.

The Super Eagles will gain a lot of confidence ahead of the World Cup if they beat England in tomorrow's friendly after wins against Poland and Argentina in friendlies.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27984
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2018
Anegbettedude:
bro i saw you again today tongue
This baba where you see me again ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 8:44pm On Jun 01, 2018
I feel tomorrows game is gonna be intense, may have players picking up injuries.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
Hahaha
Mujtahida:

What is the objective measurable criteria used by you in reaching the above prognosis?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
andrew444:

Make we dey see.

As far as I am concerned ogu is better than agu,But I will always respect the coach decision.

I was never one of those that maintained he had nothing to offer. I have always know Mikel Agu is very talented....I and GoodJoe were probably the only posters who didn't right him off based on few minutes he played for Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 8:47pm On Jun 01, 2018
forgiveness:

This is about the 35 man list for the 2018 WORLD CUP. Rohr confirmed there was a 35 man list.

What I deduced from you is, you have a stereotype mentality against names like Ajagun and Aluko else you would have backed up your argument with facts.

egbon you like wahala o... Shuo wety sef. .... Abeg e do.... Don't drag me down this road.

How you see tomorrow match sef.... Who go win

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Reports in camp says he has not trained with the team....Not very good

He is expected to play a part in the Czech game and that is 10 days before our first match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOMnaija(m): 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2018
One weird thought just crossed my mind...

Imagine simi nwankwo and sadiq umar double striking for nigeria someday.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:51pm On Jun 01, 2018
andrew444:

Make we dey see.

according to how they lined up, Joel and Ogu are in
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 8:51pm On Jun 01, 2018
komekn:

Getting into European youth academy football is easier for a Nigerian youth international than an innit boy. You made the proposition that it's much harder for boys coming from Nigeria to get into football than boys here.

The branding of Nigerian youth international will open doors for you in Europe unlike Nigeria origin players coming from local clubs in England.

In reality if Nwakali had been outstanding in the Eredivisie, became the stand out player. It would be possible using exceptional talent proviso to get a work permit for him. He would then be playing for Arsenal or some other top club. But as it stands the possibility of him ever playing for Arsenal is near impossible.

please people don't be annoyed.... Just felt like quoting this again for all to see. Especially the first paragraph...... I nor fit believe wety I de read so...... Chai

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2018
sontoly:
I feel tomorrows game is gonna be intense, may have players picking up injuries.
Mikel Agu can pick up an injury
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:58pm On Jun 01, 2018
�� France 2-1 Italy ��
Half-Time

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2018
safarigirl:
according to how they lined up, Joel and Ogu are in

Yeah that's true,I wonder why some people are trying to say ogu might not go,anyway let's see sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:00pm On Jun 01, 2018
OMANBALA1:

I was never one of those that maintained he had nothing to offer. I have always know Mikel Agu is very talented....I and GoodJoe were probably the only posters who didn't right him off based on few minutes he played for Eagles.

Lols if you say so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2018
Danielnino00:
It has become quite difficult to keep up with the pace of this thread no thanks to the poor network reception I've been getting here...

I'm quite excited about tomorrow's game though.. if we beat England, it will boost the player's morale and send out a message to our opponent that we are no pushovers(I'm afraid that may backfire grin).. I personally don't believe that England football team is over hyped, at least not this set.. England has always produced some of the world best footballers, but for some strange reasons,they don't blend well as a team. my guess is that it has to do with the fact that a lot of them hardly play outside England...
They are gonna be tough on us tomorrow for sure.. they don't joke with friendlies....

As regard the final list,I think its now down to 2 of Aina, Echijele, Agu, and Joel Obi... But the first three are the most likely to drop .. it would be very unfair if Rohr doesn't give them one last chance to prove themselves tomorrow..

I don't believe Ogu is in danger of missing out.. Rohr has already seen what he has to offer the team... his exclusion from the DR Congo game must have been because Rohr wanted to give Joel and Agu more chance... the last midfield slot will b between Joel and Agu. Its evident that Rohr likes Agu,but at the same time he feels Joel can offer something better to d midfield...

Actually based on what how Rohr has picked his teams. Joel Obi is who I think needs to put up a splendid performance or else is sure to be dropped. Rohr likes that midfield that qualified us for the world cup. If we remember Joel Obi is on the team because of Mikel not being around for the Serbia and Poland game, now that Mikel is around, Joel will need to really prove that his worth. Rohr likes Agu, we kmow that. He will rather keep Agu on the bench than keep the Joel that has played the last 3 games for Nigeria.

One of Echijele and Aina has to stay.
Echijele's advantage exprience.
Aina's advantage, speed, best crosser on the backline and excellent arm strength for throw in balls.
Choice will depend on who performs best against England tomorrow.

My pick Aina, Echijele's age will be exposed tomorrow by the fast paced attacking line of England.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:21pm On Jun 01, 2018
ykalhaji:

Actually based on what how Rohr has picked his teams. Joel Obi is who I think needs to put up a splendid performance or else is sure to be dropped. Rohr likes that midfield that qualified us for the world cup. If we remember Joel Obi is on the team because of Mikel not being around for the Serbia and Poland game, now that Mikel is around, Joel will need to really prove that his worth. Rohr likes Agu, we kmow that. He will rather keep Agu on the bench than keep the Joel that has played the last 3 games for Nigeria.

Aina's advantage, speed, best crosser on the backline and excellent arm strength for throw in balls.

My pick Aina, Echijele's age will be exposed tomorrow by the fast paced attacking line of England.

To be sincere,according to me ola aina is not a good player,maybe because he is England born and Chelsea player.

Super eagles is not the best team,I hope aina can go to the World Cup because I don't even like ederson echiejile, but I don't even think that aina guy is even up to an average player,thou super eagles is not the best team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2018
Joebie:
He scored a hart-trick in training from the left wing, just as VicMo a RW can also do well from the left. Iheanacho can deliver that cross from the left when needed. I don’t know if u played the game sir, but do u think good strikers can convert headers from the left and right with the same ease?

When a player plays on the LW, he does crosses more easily with his left leg but aims at the post more easily with his right. And reverse is the case when he plays from the Right where he crosses more easily with the right and aims at the goal more easily with his left.

WE ALL KNOW IHEANACHO IS A NATURALLY LEFT FOOTED PLAYER.

In fact I cannot recall any competitive game that he scored with his Right foot or from the left wing.

He may have done that in training. Aside this info you got from training show me which goal he scored from the LW or with his Right foot.

My exact words are "Iheanacho is more lethal when played from the RW". And that remains my point.

Talking about heading when the ball is crossed from left or right. It doesn't really matter much where the ball is crossed from. What matter more are the trajectory of the ball, the awareness of the striker about: where the post is, how to out smart his marker, and also how to out smart the goalie, not forgetting also how to remain on side.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2018
isan:
Aina and iwobi dancing shaku shaku

Ola Aina always in a high spirit each time his pictures/videos in the Super Eagles camp pops up on our screens.

Sometimes, I wonder if he is worried of losing his spot. I'm worried about him losing his spot to an Echiejile that looks moody in the camp even when odds are in his Favour.

Look at him dancing like he has settled with Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:32pm On Jun 01, 2018
Dis is d fake line up for tmao grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nextlevel2222: 9:33pm On Jun 01, 2018
ykalhaji:

I pray Rohr make early substitution to see either Aina especially or Echiejile tomorrow because it's likely that Idowu will start and to those still fighting for spot to see who can fit in... Rohr wey sometmes no dey make early substitution in a friendly game, he go dey do as if na real match wey something is at stake

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3834) (3835) (3836) (3837) (3838) (3839) (3840) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, slimthugchimee2(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.