Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (464) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11602524 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (16123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:59pm On Jan 16, 2017
Icon4s:

How can you integrate into the team all these youngsters at once na. undecided
This is no youth league o.

Anyways, I am not surprised. Pep will 'drill' them in camp.

I wonder where you saw integrate at once. Na wa. You just added what you like and tagged it my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:05pm On Jan 16, 2017
komekn:

What policy

You argued with me about the youth policy. City have been doing arrangements for donkey years when they were at Platt lane same thing.

I have said facilities don't make the best team philosophy, vision good players and good coaches.

Until Pep humbles himself and starts to influence the recruitment and coaching process and philosophy at ground level, status quo remains.

Compare Brendan Rogers as soon as he came to Liverpool he spent a lot of time at the academy. He Brought forward more players from the youth teams than any other manager in the history of Liverpool modern football.

He also sacked with immediate effect Rodolfo and arrangement man Frank McParland in one day. Where did the corrupted Rodolfo end up Manchester city, NUFF SAID.

The Policy we debated on was grooming them and we are doing a good job at that. Even if you tried to deny the fact we are raising a fine group of talented youngsters.

My problem is not in the policy of grooming players to compete for roles in the senior team. My problem is that City need a more aggressive approach.

You can spread your gospel but the fact remains, despite most of our youngsters on loan and one of the youngest teams in the Premier League 2, our brilliant young boys sit at the second position on the table.

If it comes to young talents, we rock.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:13pm On Jan 16, 2017
komekn:

Rodwell was a marketing scam by Everton that city fell for, was never real quality.

Na wa. Which kind talk is that? Rodwell was hot. He was a good buy but injuries messed his stay. There was nothing like scam there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:17pm On Jan 16, 2017
komekn:

Untested youngsters playing U23 is not the same as first team football. The transition is not that easy, look at Chuba Akpom great at U18 & U21 but couldn't cut it to the next level.

Adarabioyo is no where near the standard required City youth players are not ready yet, if at all.

The team is not old as you have put it, that is a very weak excuse. Consider the current Balon Dor winner is Ronaldo who is literally 32.

Na wa. So Cristiano Ronaldo is now a team. Smh. I wonder if you understand the term integrate. It is not a one time thing. With time, you can not tag them untested. Ha.

Did you watch Arnold play for Liverpool yesterday at eighteen? That was against Manchester United. What of Davies for Everton? This was just yesterday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
Icon4s:

goldfish80:

Is Otamendi getting old too? Dude is just 28... He should be in his prime.
Most of Man city players are dipping in form including Iheanacho

You mean Iheanacho too is aging? grin
This same Man city team beat West ham 4:0 last week. Its miraculous how they all aged in a week grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:20pm On Jan 16, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Otamendi has lost pace and can't keep up with the EPL. Maybe Serie A
How about Kevin De Bryn? The buzz around him seems to have died down. He looks off pace for awhile now. Is he aging too?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 9:25pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

How about Kevin De Bryn? The buzz around him seems to have died down. He looks off pace for awhile now. Is he aging too?
I was focusing on Otamendi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 9:33pm On Jan 16, 2017
Watching Congo Vs Morroco, they seem to be interested in just ballooning the ball into the skies, leaving too little to be desired.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:37pm On Jan 16, 2017
Lazyerudite:

I was focusing on Otamendi
Otamendi is not the worst defender in Man city. Pair him with a decent guy, you will get the best from him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 16, 2017
I'm not enjoying much in dis Afcon,,,,, style of play not really great,,,,,, the best tin I'm enjoying is the Commentary wink, honestly we av developed @ this department cool

No more comments like "musa! Musa!! Musa!!!, oh this guy is trying grin and other stuffs like dat

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:47pm On Jan 16, 2017
ChrisKels:
Please those of you who have seen Henry Onyekuru play, how good is he compared to Zim's Karma Billiat? They have same body frame and operate from same wing. Does he have feet as quick as Billiat''s, does he posses same trickery, dribbles, close control, composure and accuracy as Billiat?

I saw a sweet young (20) full back in Bouanga of Gabon, quick feet, full of running, good passer of the ball, intelligent crosser and of course clinical tackler. Please compare Tyrone Ebuehi to Bouanga if uv seen Ebuehi play mbok.

Tbaba, goodjoe, forgiveness, BascoVanVeli, bigblangston, goldfish80 et al
Billiat is a great player. I don't think he plays same role as Henry. I see Billiat as little bit of an old school winger in the mould of overmars while Henry is a modern inside forward or wing forward like Martial, Thierry Henry, Mbappe from the little I've seen of him.

Teams who play with a more orthodox wing play system will sign Billant while teams which set up with a 433 formation will go for Henry as one of the wing fowards. That's my candid opinion.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 10:07pm On Jan 16, 2017
ChrisKels:
Please those of you who have seen Henry Onyekuru play, how good is he compared to Zim's Karma Billiat? They have same body frame and operate from same wing. Does he have feet as quick as Billiat''s, does he posses same trickery, dribbles, close control, composure and accuracy as Billiat?

I saw a sweet young (20) full back in Bouanga of Gabon, quick feet, full of running, good passer of the ball, intelligent crosser and of course clinical tackler. Please compare Tyrone Ebuehi to Bouanga if uv seen Ebuehi play mbok.

Tbaba, goodjoe, forgiveness, BascoVanVeli, bigblangston, goldfish80 et al
take this as someone who watches billiat practically week in week out

if onyekeru was Zimbabwean he would be the first choice ahead of billiat think am lie-ing watch the clips of both players on YouTube one thing with Henry is that he can run so far its on a good pitch and the guy is adventurous he has confidence billiat has DAT to but seeing the two play u would know what am taking about

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:20pm On Jan 16, 2017
komekn:

What policy

You argued with me about the youth policy. City have been doing arrangements for donkey years when they were at Platt lane same thing.

I have said facilities don't make the best team philosophy, vision good players and good coaches.

Until Pep humbles himself and starts to influence the recruitment and coaching process and philosophy at ground level, status quo remains.

Compare Brendan Rogers as soon as he came to Liverpool he spent a lot of time at the academy. He Brought forward more players from the youth teams than any other manager in the history of Liverpool modern football.

He also sacked with immediate effect Rodolfo and arrangement man Frank McParland in one day. Where did the corrupted Rodolfo end up Manchester city, NUFF SAID.

Please, Pep Guardiola is six months at Manchester City. You want him in six months to have influence in academy coach selections. Hmmm.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

The argument was that Man city over paid for Stones. Everton dupped Guardiola and Man city in that deal.
I asked you if Stones was worth 50M you said yes!
Your point was that he had good feet and in his first game he had 96% pass accuracy.

I asked you if he was better than Umtiti and Mustafi whose combined fee is below 50m, you said yes! You claimed he had better pass accuracy than Mustafi then at Valentia.
Don't tell me you've forgotten so soon.

Just a few keywords, I will pull out your quotes grin
It was on this thread that i said with Stones man city going nowhere,it's simple and fact,d guy lack a lot as a defender.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:52pm On Jan 16, 2017
Segadem:

Whaaaat?
You need to give unreserved apology to Man City FC for belitling their team.
Man city team has the best players in every department more than any other team In EPL, even their reserved (or second team) team can still compete and chanlege for the title if properly managed

Some of us knew that this will happen ( to Pep's man city team) it's a matter of "when not if" ,when he sent Joe Hart away from Etihad, now we been vindicated to those who criticised us then

I have said it before and I'm saying again, pep will regret for letting Joe Hart go

BTW,it is only Pogba and De Gae that can bench first eleven in man city team ( dis is not to disrespect man u team) OK let me add Mikhytarian join grin

...and the question i want to ask u are, is this not the man city team that won ten matches straight up?
...so the players suddenly became aging when they start loosing?
Abeg we no go buy dat one
Next.. .

Best what? I mean. You think Kompany who has not been able to lace his boots since last season until now, is still up there with the best? Even the City fans screaming for the return of Kompany are making me laugh. They are past it. When once most of the teams top players are over 32, they can not perform as the best. Their clocks are running out.

The so called best in every position is history. Not current form. Anyone drawing out his top eleven in the EPL and puts a city full back in that team is totally out of touch with the game.

Form>Experience any day.

You actually think Sagna and Zabaleta can bench Valencia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:53pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

Billiat is a great player. I don't think he plays same role as Henry. I see Billiat as little bit of an old school winger in the mould of overmars while Henry is a modern inside forward or wing forward like Martial, Thierry Henry, Mbappe from the little I've seen of him.

Teams who play with a more orthodox wing play system will sign Billant while teams which set up with a 433 formation will go for Henry as one of the wing fowards. That's my candid opinion.

Wow can't wait to see him in action then. Was wowed by Billiat yesterday.

Thanks man. We lost against Abia Warrior ystdy oo at the cathedral
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2017
PROVERBZ:
take this as someone who watches billiat practically week in week out

if onyekeru was Zimbabwean he would be the first choice ahead of billiat think am lie-ing watch the clips of both players on YouTube one thing with Henry is that he can run so far its on a good pitch and the guy is adventurous he has confidence billiat has DAT to but seeing the two play u would know what am taking about

Thank u sir for ur contribution, am most honored.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56pm On Jan 16, 2017
Kog45:
It was on this thread that i said with Stones man city going nowhere,it's simple and fact,d guy lack a lot as a defender.

This is the same criticism leveled at Bravo. That is what I am pointing at. We need to sort our problem of creating chances. We are the best possessive side because of our tidy build-up plays. However, the link between the midfield to the attack is not clicking.

The problem to me also falls on the full backs who are not doing enough to assist the midfield.

When once this is sorted out, we would see the effect of what these players bring to the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

De Bruyne is one of the most hardworking players on the pitch in all City games. He was able to create two solid chances in the game against Everton. One to Silva and the other to Sterling.

When we talk of aging, I am shocked you guys are picking a player. I made a list of aging City players. Footie is a team sport, not individual. If most players are aging, it is an aging team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:12pm On Jan 16, 2017
ChrisKels:

Wow can't wait to see him in action then. Was wowed by Billiat yesterday.

Thanks man. We lost against Abia Warrior ystdy oo at the cathedral
The loss of chisom Egbuchulam is telling on the team. I hope the coach juggles to team to find a correct balance which the absence of Chisom exposes.

Yesterday's loss was a bitter pill to swallow to be honest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

De Bruyne is one of the most hardworking players on the pitch in all City games. He was able to create two solid chances in the game against Everton. One to Silva and the other to Sterling.

When we talk of aging, I am shocked you guys are picking a player. I made a list of aging City players. Footie is a team sport, not individual. If most players are aging, it is an aging team.
I remember sometime ago,,, I pointed out that Bayern Munich had an aging team, so I don't expect a squash bucking side, you opposed that line of thought. You claimed Pep brought out the best in the team and Anceloti was nowhere matching that.
Funny you're using the same argument to defend Man city. Double standards perhaps?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

I remember sometime ago,,, I pointed out that Bayern Munich had an aging team, so I don't expect a squash bucking side, you opposed that line of thought. You claimed Pep brought out the best in the team and Anceloti was nowhere matching that.
Funny you're using the same argument to defend Man city. Double standards perhaps?

Is it Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Coman, Douglas Costa, Thiago Alcantara, Lewandowski, Muller. Even now, Renato Sanches is seeing games. It is not what City is facing in any way.

Please, before you drag back a point already handled, the EPL is more aggressive with more games than the Bundesliga, so it is possible to have more mature players performing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

Since last season, I noticed our age challenges. That was the problem Pellegrini faced. So how can I have double standards.

It is a case of style. This is so easy to see but you want to just run in circles. One of our challenge is that the squad is aging. This is very clear as daylight. How you want to debate such an obvious point is baffling. They are aging. They can not fire on all cylinders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:52pm On Jan 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Na wa. Which kind talk is that? Rodwell was hot. He was a good buy but injuries messed his stay. There was nothing like scam there.

Rodwell was a marketing ploy pushed ahead and anyone as good not allowed to compete. It's a lot easier to highlight one player than several.

That is why Hope Akpan who was at Everton at the time was never given the same level of opportunity.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:52pm On Jan 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Is it Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Coman, Douglas Costa, Thiago Alcantara, Lewandowski, Muller. Even now, Renato Sanches is seeing games. It is not what City is facing in any way.

Please, before you drag back a point already handled, the EPL is more aggressive with more games than the Bundesliga, so it is possible to have more mature players performing.
How old is Lahm, Alonso, Ribery and Robben?

For starters Alonso is 35,who in Man city is up to that?
Pep spent £150M this summer, running with the excuse that the team is aging after such an investment is very weak.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2017
goldfish80:

How old is Lahm, Alonso, Ribery and Robben?

For starters Alonso is 35,who in Man city is up to that?
Pep spent £150M this summer, running with the excuse that the team is aging after such an investment is very weak.

Is that close to what City are facing or you must argue. Do you know that last season, Robben and Ribery spent a long time out of the team? It is ridiculous arguing an obvious fact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
komekn:

Rodwell was a marketing ploy pushed ahead and anyone as good not allowed to compete. It's a lot easier to highlight one player than several.

That is why Hope Akpan who was at Everton at the time was never given the same level of opportunity.

Rodwell was playing well. When City bought him, he was promising. He was not a catalogue made to look good. He was a good player that injuries disrupted his form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Is that close to what City are facing or you must argue. Do you know that last season, Robben and Ribery spent a long time out of the team? It is ridiculous arguing an obvious fact.
Still they are members of the team. Their ages contribute to the average age of the team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Jan 17, 2017
goldfish80:

Still they are members of the team. Their ages contribute to the average age of the team.

Simple, Manchester City have a problem due to their aging team. You can not class Bayern Munich an aging team. It is off the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 12:02am On Jan 17, 2017
lakesidepapa:

Billiat is a very fine player, he's one of the players that helped Sundowns to win the Caf champion league. The trio of Dolly, Billiat and one young player with an Old school hair cut(forgot his name) in the forward line of sundowns is a bomb.

Yes Henry is like Billiat, tricky, can cross ball and fast but Henry is not a team player and Billiat is. Moreso, Both of them are not good at tracking back just like success at the wing unlike Moses under conte.

Keagan dolly,percy tau and billiat
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 12:10am On Jan 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
I think the level of competition so far in the afcon has been shocking. Zimbabwe and Togo must be congratulated on their results.

Especially zimbabwe....

In btw,only two victories recorded so far....senegal for me are the best and most serious team so far for me o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:16am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Simple, Manchester City have a problem due to their aging team. You can not class Bayern Munich an aging team. It is off the point.
Who in Man city is older than Alonso?
Lahm is 33 about same age with Yaya toure.
Rafinha, Robben, Ribery,Manuel Nuerer, Vidal are 30/30+..
It's funny you don't see them as ageing but you find Man city to be ageing.
This same ageing team beat West ham 4:0 last week. They managed to age badly in a week.

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (16123) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TradingGod, DrYa and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.