Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (478) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11662893 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (475) (476) (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2017
any news about osimhen and musa yahaya? hearing good reviews about mikel agu think he deserves an invite against senegal to prove himself
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
SUPPPPEEEERRRRNNNEEEEERRRRDDDD! great to have you back our able Doc

TheSuperNerd:
Sir "legend" Tbaba1234, Sir "Arch guardian" Icon4s, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Lakedsidepapa, Sir Mickael2, Sir BascoVanVeli, Sir Goldfish80, Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkepekyandega, Sir Kingphillip, Sir Forgiveness (does he still give anyone trouble?) grin , Sir "Elder" Kog45 (oga ehn... That 1984 revelation still dey my mind... Chaiii...), Madam Confun, Sir Tglobal, Sir Chriskels, Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Komekn, Sir ... Who again? **scratches head**

Note: pls bear with me as I typed these names entirely offhand... Without pausing for reference to any thing...

Oh yes... Sir BigBlangston... (Always on my case) grin

I wonder where Sir Maastricht is.... Hmmm...

Anyway.... Happy new year to you all.... Yes it is bloody late but I can't just return to the house without saying hello for the year... wink

God bless y'all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
Nigeria Coach – How Is Gabriel Jesus Better Than Iheanacho ?

The arrival of Gabriel Jesus at Manchester City has lead to talks about limited opportunities for Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho, but such talks have been squashed by coach of the Nigeria U19s Manu Garba.

Garba who gave Iheanacho his breakthrough with the Nigeria U-17 team of 2013 is of the opinion that not until they both play in the team, it’s not proper to say one player is better than the other.

” It’s unfair to say Jesus is better than Iheanacho, there are various factors to be considered before drawing such conclusions and for now how is Jesus better than Iheanacho?”

Manu asked in an interview with Owngoalnigeria.com.” They will battle for spots upfront and base on what the coach wants, and who suits his style and formations, sometimes game after game.”

You have to respect what Iheanacho has achieved in such a short time with Man City. A team where top stars like Wilfred Bony, Edin Dzeko and Samir Nasri struggled, he flourished, he deserves respect”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/21/nigeria-coach-how-is-gabriel-jesus-better-than-iheanacho/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:49pm On Jan 23, 2017
peterd53:

guy, patience nd hardwork are 2 essential tin needed 4 his development. u think moving 2 club lyk stoke will gr8ly help him? Giovanni dos Santos was better Dan him @ 20 , he was playing second fiddle 2 dinho, he left a season b4 ronaldinho departure nd never really reach his potential. maybe we would be singing his name nw, if he had stayed nd develop his game with d help of dinho,xavi, pep nd others

Hmmm.. nice contribution. Your head dey their.

Iheanacho should keep working hard at City. If we want to see that future 'world beater' tag that we have placed on him it should start from where he is now. Did Messi or Ronaldo go on any loan spell because of lack of game time when they were 20years olds. At 20 Messi was already running down defenses at the Spanish league and also at 20 Ronaldo was already making the heads in the EPL. Iheanacho has come of age. Going by our earlier expectations on the boy he should be a regular at City by now.

cc: TheGoodJoe, TheSuperNerd.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:53pm On Jan 23, 2017
Eagles Watch – Ikeme Sent Off, Ideye Fire Blank, Iheanacho Missing, Ighalo Make Cameo, Agbo Suspended

Owngoalnigeria.com in it’s usual style brings to you the performance of Nigerian players for their respective teams after the latest round of games in Europe.

England: Super Eagles first choice shot stopper Carl Ikeme was sent off in the 72nd minute of Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-3 loss to Norwich City.

Ikeme was adjudged to have brought down Wes Hoolahan in the box which lead to his sending off, and Matt Doherty had to fill in for him as Wolves have used up their three substitutes.

Still in England Odion Ighalo who is heavily linked with a move to fellow Premier League side West Brom played the last two minutes of Watford’s 2-2 draw against Bournemouth.

However there was no spot for Kelechi Iheanacho in Man City match day squad as they let a two goal lead to draw 2-2 against Tottenham Hotspur, while Victor Anichebe made his return from the injury that has kept him out for three weeks.

Spain: Nigeria’s sole representative in the La-Liga Uche Agbo was suspended for this weekend tie after his sending off last weekend, meaning he missed Granada’s 1-3 thumping in the hands of Espanyol.

Greece: In form Super Eagles forward Brown Ideye failed to find the back of the net for the second consecutive game after firing blank in their 0-0 draw against Asteras Tripolis, he also failed to get among the scorers as Olympiakos got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over Xanthi.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/21/11084/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:02pm On Jan 23, 2017
MOTM Ehizibue Scores, Ebuehi Gets New Role In Battle Of Rohr’s Dutch-Nigerians

ADO Den Haag were shocked in front of their fans as PEC Zwolle came from behind to win 2-1in a Dutch league tie.

The game saw two Dutch -Nigerians coming head to head in Kingsley Ehizibue and Tyroone Ebuehi, who have both been approached by the football authorities in Nigeria to switch allegiances to the Super Eagles.

Ehizibue who is yet to turn down Nigeria but wants to stay away from the team for now, scored the first goal for PEC Zwolle which helped them draw level before setting up Nicolai Brock-Maden in the 56th minute for the tie breaker.

Ebuehi who is expected to turn out for Nigeria in their next friendly against Senegal proved his versatility, playing as a left full back as opposed to his traditional position as a right back.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/21/motm-ehizibue-scores-ebuehi-gets-new-role-in-battle-of-rohrs-dutch-nigerians.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2017
Exclusive: Portuguese Side Blocks Nigeria Rio 2016 Star From Joining Turkish Side

The proposed transfer of Nigeria Rio 2016 star Usman Muhammed to a Turkish side has been halted by Portuguese side Uniao da Madeira, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal. Muhammed played in all of Nigeria’s game at Rio2016 despite not playing a minute of club football following contractual issues with Uniao da Madeira.

He joined the Portuguese side from local Nigeria League side FC Taraba, but left the team in a cloud due to issues surrounding the payment of his transfer fees and wages.

Despite officially communicating to the club about his desire to cancel his contract with the team, they are yet to officially get back to him, which has now claimed his move to an unnamed Turkish side.”

Musa has been offered a contract by a team in Turkey but Uniao da Madeira are in the possession of his registration, and so far they have refused to release his ITC (International Transfer Certificate)”, a source close to the player told Owngoalnigeria.com.”

We are exploring all available means to cure the impasse, hopefully it will be resolved before the end of this current transfer window”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/exclusive-portuguese-side-blocks-nigeria-rio-2016-star-from-joining-turkish-side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2017
Exclusive – Ajax Amsterdam Snap Up Nigerian Whizkid Aliyu Mahmoud From Mutunchi Academy

Aliyu Mahmoud of Mutunchi Football Academy of Kaduna has joined Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

The 15 year old left Nigeria for the United Kingdom for studies and was spotted by a scout of Ajax during a game for the team of his school.”

His (Aliyu) mum called me last week to inform me that he has started training with Ajax Amsterdam. Am proud of him, he is a level headed kid who is always willing to listen”, president of Muntunchi Academy Auwal Mutunchi told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Aliyu is the latest player to emerge from the Academy following in the footsteps of Musa Yahaya and Moses John who are with Portuguese giants FC Porto, as well as Aliyu Abubakar who last represented KuPS in Finland.

Aside the aforementioned quartet, about six players from the team are scattered around teams in Europe with four of them in Portugal.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/exclusive-ajax-amsterdam-snap-up-nigerian-whizkid-aliyu-mahmoud-from-mutunchi-academy/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

You and this ur drill matter,pardon my curiosity o but hw many drill did matial get when he arrived manchester?..was memphis not drilled enough at psv....mihkitarian just started getting drills now hence his recent performance abi??....oh iwobi gets more drills than nacho??.... Scheneiderlin refused drill lessons at oldtraford??...why couldn't he drill the passing game into joe hart and last but not d list,I guess james is still getting drilled?.......my broda,4get dis drill nonsense if he dosnt get games,his career is retrogressing..Kelechi is not bigger than all these people I have mentioned....if I read for exams and still fail,why did I waste my time reading??.....if I were the young lad,I'll sort of a move else where cause I'd prefer playing regularly for stoke than to have minute minutes for city....After all with his incredible goalscoring record,who wnt want him??

You are all over the place. Let us start with Joe Hart. Gary Neville advised Joe Hart to stay.

Gary Neville has urged Joe Hart to stay at Manchester City and fight for his first-team place.

"I think my advice to Joe would be to stay exactly where he is."

"It's nothing to do with Joe's style over the last three years, it's been Man City's style," Neville continued. "Pep's complete and total belief is to play out from the back at all costs.

"That's not how Joe has been doing it and it's not the strongest part of his game. He's not incapable, but it's not the strongest part.

"The easy thing would be to throw your toys out of the pram, to create a problem with the manager and say, 'we will part company'. I say he should stay for a year or two and get his head down and work to transform himself.

"He has 10 years left at the top of his game, and from my point of view, he should fight to get back into the team, to transform his game with Pep into someone who can play 2,000 passes rather than 500, and to be what Pep wants him to be.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29326/10538239/gary-neville-joe-hart-should-stay-at-manchester-city-and-fight-for-place

It is the same thing. Work hard in training and improve. After that, fight for your position. If Hart stayed and trained, I have no doubt he would improve. In the game against Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of our UEFA Champions League play off, Joe Hart showed improvement in his passes. Unfortunately, it will take lots of drills to get to the level of Ter Stergen and Bravo.

Hart wants playing time and he can not become a key player in Pep's philosophy. He will not improve in the passing area, no matter how much playing time he gets at Torino or had at City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
Celtic Efe Ambrose Coy On Blackburn Rovers Link, Plays Down Bastia Move

Celtic outcast Efe Ambrose has spoken out about reports linking him with a move to French side Bastia, but remained coy on speculations about a move to Championship side Blackburn Rovers.

Ambrose has been severally linked with an exit from Celtic this January due to his failure to force his ways into the plans of coach Brendan Rodgers.

However the 28 year old who is due for Scottish citizenship in July says reports of an imminent move to Bastia is way off the mark.”

Am not close to joining any team yet. I read the reports about a pre contract with Bastia, same way have read reports about contract with other teams. I am in the final six months of my contract, which I believe is making talks about an exist louder than expected”, Ambrose told Owngoalnigeria.com.”

Regarding Blackburn Rovers, they are a traditional team with a rich culture and proud history, plus a very good manager in Owen Coyle, like I said earlier am not close to an exit from Celtic yet but we will see what can be worked outin the coming days”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/celtic-efe-ambrose-coy-on-blackburn-rovers-link-plays-down-bastia-move/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sir "legend" Tbaba1234, Sir "Arch guardian" Icon4s, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Lakedsidepapa, Sir Mickael2, Sir BascoVanVeli, Sir Goldfish80, Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkepekyandega, Sir Kingphillip, Sir Forgiveness (does he still give anyone trouble?) grin , Sir "Elder" Kog45 (oga ehn... That 1984 revelation still dey my mind... Chaiii...), Madam Confun, Sir Tglobal, Sir Chriskels, Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Komekn, Sir ... Who again? **scratches head**

Note: pls bear with me as I typed these names entirely offhand... Without pausing for reference to any thing...

Oh yes... Sir BigBlangston... (Always on my case) grin

I wonder where Sir Maastricht is.... Hmmm...

Anyway.... Happy new year to you all.... Yes it is bloody late but I can't just return to the house without saying hello for the year... wink

God bless y'all

angry tongue grin Happy new year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:20pm On Jan 23, 2017
Super Eagles Defender Leon Balogun Suffers Another Injury Setback

Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun is in a race against time to be fit for Mainz 05 first competitive game of 2017 due to a muscular problems with his thigh.

Injuries and fitness issues made him play a bit part role for Mainz 05 towards the end of last year, and same demons are once again threatening his immediate action with the team.

Balogun will undergo a late fitness taste later today, to determine if he will be in action when they take on Cologne in their first Bundesliga game of the year.

So far he has made 11 league appearances for Mainz 05 this season, with three other appearances to his name in both domestic and international cup competition as well.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/super-eagles-defender-leon-balogun-suffers-another-injury-setback/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Hmmm.. nice contribution. Your head dey their.

Iheanacho should keep working hard at City. If we want to see that future 'world beater' tag that we have placed on him it should start from where he is now. Did Messi or Ronaldo go on any loan spell because of lack of game time when they were 20years olds. At 20 Messi was already running down defenses at the Spanish league and also at 20 Ronaldo was already making the heads in the EPL. Iheanacho has come of age. Going by our earlier expectations on the boy he should be a regular at City by now.

cc: TheGoodJoe, TheSuperNerd.

Your last phrase sounds like a similar statement by Ndukka Ugbade. If Iheanacho was good enough, why is he not playing for City. That is like saying you expect Iwobi to keep Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling and Nolito on the bench. Iheanacho is up against a monumental task. City coaches have opted for him over the likes of Dzeko, Jovetic and Bony.

Iheanacho is still the striker for City and behind one of the best finishers in the history of the English Premier League, Sergio Aguero. That is it. He is still young. Messi was one of the best in the World but he had a lot to learn from Guardiola. Guardiola saved his fragile career. Messi was lucky players like Guilly and Ronaldhino left the club. It made it easier for him. Same with CR7 joining Manchester United at the time David Beckham left Manchester United.

Iheanacho is already doing fine, giving him time to adjust to the system. A year or two is not his whole career. He will keep improving and remain a star for the National team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:23pm On Jan 23, 2017
Angry Carl Ikeme Accuses Norwich City Forward Of Diving To Get Him Sent Off

Wolverhampton Wanderers shot stopper Carl Ikeme has reacted to the incident that got him sent off in yesterday’s 1-3 loss to Norwich City.

Ikeme was sent off in the 72nd minute after an altercation with Norwich City forward Wes Hoolahan, a situation which won the home side a penalty which they converted to put the game beyond the reach of Wolves.

However the Super Eagles shot stopper believes his sending off was harsh and criticized the forward for play acting to get him sent off.

The Super Eagles number one gave his reaction in a number of post on his official twitter handle. “Ok then… been mulling over whether to say anything or not….Some will say don’t react. I understand your point. It’s hard not to be frustrated when someone blatantly dives to win a penalty.

Then dives again when pushed on his Chest. I supposed you live and learn but this oneis hard to take. I Apologise if anyone feels let down” Ikeme wrote on Twitter “A lot of Norwich fans not happy. I have nothing against your club or Wes . These things happen in football so we just move on”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/angry-carl-ikeme-accuses-norwich-city-forward-of-diving-to-get-him-sent-off/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
jihday:
Exactly my point, Nacho can develop elsewhere, where he can also get regular playing time doesn't have to be under Pep alone he can go to a nice club in Spain (Sevilla or ATM) or Germany (Dortmund or Leverkusen) even Monaco won't be bad

No one is saying Nacho can not develop. However, we are talking of the speed of improvement and the manner of player he will become. From what I see, Guardiola wants his forwards, exceptionally fast, work hard and press hard. Not all clubs play in this pattern. Harry Kane can not press like Son. The developments are different because of different paths. Watch Pedro or Firmino play. You see them working hard all through they are on the pitch. You see them track back. Under Guardiola, he has the exact manager that aligns with worth I expect from Nacho. I honestly see his time under Guardiola bringing the best from him. Jumping to another coach will bring another philosophy and change in style.

He is already working with Guardiola. Let him grow. A year or two will mold him. Then we can talk of playing time. I doubt many attackers will be ahead of him then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
Icon4s:

So if Pep plans to deploy him as a winger all along why have there been issues or concerns about Iheanacho's future game time.

But one vital thing to note from his inclusion is his replacement of Ihenacho on the bench. Don't you think that is another pointer?

Remember, Guardiola had a discussion with Aguero and his agent. We do not know what it was about. What I think is that, Aguero was among those Guardiola wanted out of the team, along with Bony and Nasri. Either they change their lifestyle and style of play.

I feel in the discussion, Guardiola agreed to give Aguero a steady run of games to see if he would get back his form. Although, Aguero was not convincing. I see him getting another four games to find his old form back. Unfortunately, this means less game time for Iheanacho. It seems Sane and Gabriel Jesus will have a better time on the wings. With Navas clock running down and Nolito not producing the kind of pace the earlier two bring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
Ndidi Suffers Another Embarrassing Defeat With Leicester City, Ranieri Ponders New Role For Him

Wilfred Ndidi had a slightly above average performance as English Champions Leicester City crash to yet another embarrassing defeat losing 3-0 to Southampton.

Ndidi’s first league appearance for the Foxes ended with a 3-0 defeat against Chelsea, although he helped Leicester City to a 2-1 win in his first game for the club against Everton in the FA Cup.

The Nigerian who twice foiled attempts by Southampton to score in the first half, started as the basement of a diamond shape midfield consisting of Danny Drinkwater and Nampalys Mendy.

However shortly after the game, manager Claudio Ranieri dropped a big hint about a change of role for the 20 year old in their subsequent games.”

We didn’t do enough in central defence to deal with Southampton, we could try other options in our next game. There are players who can play there like Ndidi during the second half of our game against Chelsea”, Ranieri said at the post match conference.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/ndidi-suffers-another-embarrassing-defeat-with-leicester-city-ranieri-ponders-new-role-for-him/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 3:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You are all over the place. Let us start with Joe Hart. Gary Neville advised Joe Hart to stay.

Gary Neville has urged Joe Hart to stay at Manchester City and fight for his first-team place.

"I think my advice to Joe would be to stay exactly where he is."

"It's nothing to do with Joe's style over the last three years, it's been Man City's style," Neville continued. "Pep's complete and total belief is to play out from the back at all costs.

"That's not how Joe has been doing it and it's not the strongest part of his game. He's not incapable, but it's not the strongest part.

"The easy thing would be to throw your toys out of the pram, to create a problem with the manager and say, 'we will part company'. I say he should stay for a year or two and get his head down and work to transform himself.

"He has 10 years left at the top of his game, and from my point of view, he should fight to get back into the team, to transform his game with Pep into someone who can play 2,000 passes rather than 500, and to be what Pep wants him to be.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29326/10538239/gary-neville-joe-hart-should-stay-at-manchester-city-and-fight-for-place

It is the same thing. Work hard in training and improve. After that, fight for your position. If Hart stayed and trained, I have no doubt he would improve. In the game against Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of our UEFA Champions League play off, Joe Hart showed improvement in his passes. Unfortunately, it will take lots of drills to get to the level of Ter Stergen and Bravo.

Hart wants playing time and he can not become a key player in Pep's philosophy. He will not improve in the passing area, no matter how much playing time he gets at Torino or had at City.

My broda like I have told you forget all this drill shit.....I read for exams expecting to write for 30mins and u gave me 6 mins,HOW D HELL AM I SUPPOSE TO PASS...if nacho was quadiola's favourite,he would be playing...who was busquets when yaya was playing at barca.??abi yaya didn't get ur so called DRILLING??if he didn't,hw come he is playing nw?....be truthfull for once,ur coach has preferance simple!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Your last phrase sounds like a similar statement by Ndukka Ugbade. If Iheanacho was good enough, why is he not playing for City. That is like saying you expect Iwobi to keep Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling and Nolito on the bench. Iheanacho is up against a monumental task. City coaches have opted for him over the likes of Dzeko, Jovetic and Bony.

Iheanacho is still the striker for City and behind one of the best finishers in the history of the English Premier League, Sergio Aguero. That is it. He is still young. Messi was one of the best in the World but he had a lot to learn from Guardiola. Guardiola saved his fragile career. Messi was lucky players like Guilly and Ronaldhino left the club. It made it easier for him. Same with CR7 joining Manchester United at the time David Beckham left Manchester United.

Iheanacho is already doing fine, giving him time to adjust to the system. A year or two is not his whole career. He will keep improving and remain a star for the National team.

Please put 'hopefully' in front of that sentence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:49pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Remember, Guardiola had a discussion with Aguero and his agent. We do not know what it was about. What I think is that, Aguero was among those Guardiola wanted out of the team, along with Bony and Nasri. Either they change their lifestyle and style of play.

I feel in the discussion, Guardiola agreed to give Aguero a steady run of games to see if he would get back his form. Although, Aguero was not convincing. I see him getting another four games to find his old form back. Unfortunately, this means less game time for Iheanacho. It seems Sane and Gabriel Jesus will have a better time on the wings. With Navas clock running down and Nolito not producing the kind of pace the earlier two bring.

You as a City fan, do you think it would be of the club's best interest to let Aguero go?. Forget about ur desire for Iheanacho to fill that position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
Highly Rated Nigerian Teen Iduitua David Deba Takes The Spot Of Injured Etebo At CD Feirense, Listed For The First Time

The unfortunate injury picked up by Oghenekaro Etebo in CD Feirense last weekend game has opened the door for little known Nigerian forward Iduitua David to take his spot in the team.

Etebo is set to undergo another scan on the kneeinjury that lead to his substitution against Vitoria da Guimaraes last weekend in 15 days time, and his absence has helped David make the step up to the main team.

David was the star of the 2012 edition of Copa Coca-Cola International Football tournament in South Africa, where he captained the Nigerian team to the tournament.

Comfortable as a striker or behind the main striker he was for the first time listed on the bench by coach Nuno Manta Santos since joining the team last summer.

The 19 year old didn’t get to play as CD Feirense beat Estoril 1-0, but his inclusion in the team will no doubt spur him on to push for playing time especially in the absence of his fellow countryman, who plays same role.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/highly-rated-nigerian-teen-iduitua-david-deba-takes-the-spot-of-injured-etebo-at-cd-feirense-listed-for-the-first-time/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
terzurum5:
Ndidi Suffers Another Embarrassing Defeat With Leicester City, Ranieri Ponders New Role For Him

Wilfred Ndidi had a slightly above average performance as English Champions Leicester City crash to yet another embarrassing defeat losing 3-0 to Southampton.

Ndidi’s first league appearance for the Foxes ended with a 3-0 defeat against Chelsea, although he helped Leicester City to a 2-1 win in his first game for the club against Everton in the FA Cup.

The Nigerian who twice foiled attempts by Southampton to score in the first half, started as the basement of a diamond shape midfield consisting of Danny Drinkwater and Nampalys Mendy.

However shortly after the game, manager Claudio Ranieri dropped a big hint about a change of role for the 20 year old in their subsequent games.”

We didn’t do enough in central defence to deal with Southampton, we could try other options in our next game. There are players who can play there like Ndidi during the second half of our game against Chelsea”, Ranieri said at the post match conference.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/ndidi-suffers-another-embarrassing-defeat-with-leicester-city-ranieri-ponders-new-role-for-him/

Hmmm...he wants to take him back to his initial CB position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2017
terzurum5:
Highly Rated Nigerian Teen Iduitua David Deba Takes The Spot Of Injured Etebo At CD Feirense, Listed For The First Time

The unfortunate injury picked up by Oghenekaro Etebo in CD Feirense last weekend game has opened the door for little known Nigerian forward Iduitua David to take his spot in the team.

Etebo is set to undergo another scan on the kneeinjury that lead to his substitution against Vitoria da Guimaraes last weekend in 15 days time, and his absence has helped David make the step up to the main team.

David was the star of the 2012 edition of Copa Coca-Cola International Football tournament in South Africa, where he captained the Nigerian team to the tournament.

Comfortable as a striker or behind the main striker he was for the first time listed on the bench by coach Nuno Manta Santos since joining the team last summer.

The 19 year old didn’t get to play as CD Feirense beat Estoril 1-0, but his inclusion in the team will no doubt spur him on to push for playing time especially in the absence of his fellow countryman, who plays same role.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/highly-rated-nigerian-teen-iduitua-david-deba-takes-the-spot-of-injured-etebo-at-cd-feirense-listed-for-the-first-time/

All these 18 and 19 years old Nigerian players surfacing here and there in different leagues in Europe. Chai! Amuneke and his U20 boys. sad
How I wish we were still in contention for the WYC.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2017
Moses Picks Up Assist In Chelsea’s Win, Hargreaves Says He Is Irreplaceable

Chelsea wing back Victor Moses was one of the top performers for Chelsea in their 2-0 win over Hull City in the English Premier League.

The Nigerian provided the cross from which Diego Costa scored the opening goal of the game in the 45th minute, and lasted the entire duration of the game.

His overall performance earned him praises from English Premier League legend Owen Hargreaves, who was in the studio as an analyst during the live broadcast of the game.

” You have to admire the cross from Victor Moses, he crossed the ball away from the defenders leaving Costa with no option but to score”, Hargreaves said.”

He (Moses) has added consistency to his game, and the more you look at the team of Chelsea, the more you see reasons to agree that at the moment he looks like one player who is irreplaceable”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/moses-picks-up-assist-in-chelseas-win-hargreaves-says-he-is-irreplaceable/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:00pm On Jan 23, 2017
terzurum5:
Exclusive: Portuguese Side Blocks Nigeria Rio 2016 Star From Joining Turkish Side

The proposed transfer of Nigeria Rio 2016 star Usman Muhammed to a Turkish side has been halted by Portuguese side Uniao da Madeira, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal. Muhammed played in all of Nigeria’s game at Rio2016 despite not playing a minute of club football following contractual issues with Uniao da Madeira.

He joined the Portuguese side from local Nigeria League side FC Taraba, but left the team in a cloud due to issues surrounding the payment of his transfer fees and wages.

Despite officially communicating to the club about his desire to cancel his contract with the team, they are yet to officially get back to him, which has now claimed his move to an unnamed Turkish side.”

Musa has been offered a contract by a team in Turkey but Uniao da Madeira are in the possession of his registration, and so far they have refused to release his ITC (International Transfer Certificate)”, a source close to the player told Owngoalnigeria.com.”

We are exploring all available means to cure the impasse, hopefully it will be resolved before the end of this current transfer window”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/exclusive-portuguese-side-blocks-nigeria-rio-2016-star-from-joining-turkish-side.

grin I recall when TheGoodJoe was arguing with me that this guy was better than Karo Etebo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:02pm On Jan 23, 2017
Wenger Explains Why Iwobi Was Sacrificed After Xhaka Was Sent Off As Arsenal Move Up To 2nd

Manager of Arsenal Arsene Wenger has revealed the rationale behind the substitution of Alex Iwobi in Arsenal’s dramatic 2-1 win over Burnley shortly after Granit Xhaka was sent off.

Xhaka was sent off by referee Jon Moss for a wild lunge on Steven Defour in the 65th minute, forcing Wenger into rearranging his team by bringing in Francis Coquelin for Iwobi four minutes after they were reduced to 10 men.

Iwobi’s substitution sparked mixed reactions from Arsenal fans, with many opposed to his substitution even though he was given a standing ovation by the fans as he walked off the pitch.Wenger was berated for not taking off either Mesut Ozil or Aaron Samuel especially as Iwobi was pulling his weight in the middle to good effect before his substitution.” We had to react to Xhaka’s red card by bringing on Coquelin for Iwobi, who was our alternate midfielder. Burnley played very well and made it hard for us to break them down, it was a hard fought win”, Wenger said at the post match conference.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/22/wenger-explains-why-iwobi-was-sacrificed-after-xhaka-was-sent-off-as-arsenal-move-up-to-2nd/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
Ex Chelsea Star Mikel Loses With Tianjin Teda Again, Yet To Win As Captain

Newly appointed captain of Tiajin Teda Mikel Obi is yet to taste victory with his new team after four pre season games ahead of the start of the Chinese Super League.

Mikel joined the team in January and was subsequently appointed captain of the team and a new role as the play maker of the ambitious team.

However after four pre season games they have let in 12 goals in games against Borussia Monchengladbach II, St. Pauli, Dinamo Bucuresti and Dynamo Kiev respectively.

While they have scored four goals in the four games, yesterday they were taking to the cleaners by a classical Dynamo Kiev side losing 3-0 to the Ukrainian outfit.

Former Chelsea star Mikel started the game but failed to motivate his side, who are now into the final stage of preparation for the start of the CSL next month.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/ex-chelsea-star-mikel-loses-with-tianjin-teda-again-yet-to-win-as-captain/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
Eagles Wrap: Onazi Stars, Musa Muhammed Missing, Awoniyi Benched, Nwakali Disappoints, Saviour Godwin Sent Off

The weekend games in Europe involving Nigerian players came to an end yesterday with some tasting the joy of victory while other had to swallow the bitter pill of defeat.

Owngoalnigeria.com bring to you the performances of some of the players in games that slipped under our radar during our monitoring of Nigerian players in Europe.

Turkey: Eddy Onazi was a trojan in the middle for Trabzonspor, playing for the entire duration of their 1-0 win over Kasimpasa, who had Kenneth Otigba on the bench all through while Emem Eduok was introduced by the home team 17 minutes to the end.

Still in Turkey Aminu Umar started and ended the game for Osmanlispor but failed to provide the much needed goal as they slumped to a 1-2 loss against Antalyaspor, with Africa soccer legend Samuel Eto’o scoring the winner for the visitors on the dot of regulation time.

While Godfrey Obaboana lasted the entire duration of Rizespor 1-2 loss away to Konyaspor, new signing Bright Edomwonyi failed to alter the scoreline for the visitor after coming on in the 66th minute.

Super Eagles right full back Musa Muhammed was omitted yet again from the match day squad of Istanbul Basaksehir who were beaten 1-0 by an inspired Fenerbahce side away from home.

Since joining tabel topping Basaksehir 18 months ago, the former captain of the Nigeria U-17 and 20 team is yet to play in the league for the team.

Netherlands: Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi was for the second game running an unused substitute for NEC Nijmegen in their 2-0 win over Roda JC in the top league in Holland, while former U-20 captain Abdul Ajagun lasted the entire duration of the game for the losers.

On loan Arsenal midfielder Kelechi Nwakali had a game to forget as MVV Maastricht slumped to their first defeat in 2017 losing 2-1 to VVV-Venlo.

Belgium: Former Nigeria Under-17 and 20 forward Saviour Godwin was made to take the walk of shame after his sending off in the 74th minute of Roeselare 0-1 loss at home to Union St.-Gilloise in the Belgian second division.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/eagles-wrap-onazi-stars-musa-muhammed-missing-awoniyi-benched-nwakali-disappoints-saviour-godwin-sent-off/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
Little Known Nigerian Forward Patrick Igwe On Target Again In Portugal, Wins MOTM Award

Little known Nigerian forward Patrick Igwe picked up from where he left off last year for Portuguese side Alcanenense scoring the lone goal that gave them all three points against Gafetense.

Igwe scored five goals in the first stanza of the third division league in Portugal to bring his goal tally this season to six, and in the process picked up his third Man of the Match award.

The 19 year old has been watched by several top teams in Portugal and beyond, and a transfer away from the team in the summer looks most likely.Plucked from Geelec Football Academy of Jos, the pacy forward is having his best season since moving to Portugal one year ago.”

I am focused on doing well for Alcanenense, I have people who handle the business area of mycareer, a move away from here is in their hands. Every footballer wants to play in a big league, amno different but am calm”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com when asked about speculations linking him with a summer move.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/little-known-nigerian-forward-patrick-igwe-on-target-again-in-portugal-wins-motm-award/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:36pm On Jan 23, 2017
FC Porto Loanee Mikel Agu Shining Bright In Portugal, Could Gatecrash Eagles Squad For Senegal Tie

Vitoria Setubal picked up a 2-1 away win against Belenenses with their Nigerian midfielder Mikel Agu once again playing a pivotal role in their win.

The 24 year old who is on loan from Portuguese giants FC Porto has been ever present for the team this season with 15 league appearances to his name this season.

Agu has thrice made the team of the week in Portugal, a sign of how well he has developed from the same player who couldn’t get a game for Belgian side Club Brugge last season.

His performances is closely been monitored by coach of the Nigeria senior national team Gernot Rohr who could hand him a call up for Nigeria’s next friendly game against Senegal.

Known for his hard tackling and near perfect ball distribution he has been at FC Porto since 2012 without breaking into the first team, no thanks to an injury which ruled him out of the 2014 seasonwhen he was close to breaking into the first team.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/fc-porto-loanee-mikel-agu-shining-bright-in-portugal-could-gatecrash-eagles-squad-for-senegal-tie/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:38pm On Jan 23, 2017
Exclusive – Real Madrid Postpone Decision On Signing Of Red Hot Nigerian Teen Abdullahi

Spanish giants Real Madrid won’t be pursuing their interest in Nigerian teen forward Suleiman Abdullahi this January due to the transfer ban on the team.

However we gathered that the La-Liga giants have told Spezia that a decision on the super teen, who scored twice against the U-19 of Real Madrid in the final of a youth tournament will be taken in the summer.

At the moment, the 18 year old is currently turning heads for the Primavera team of Serie b side Spezia, where he has seven goals to his name, and has made the bench for the first teamin league games.” We ( Spezia) have been informed by a contact from Real Madrid that they will assess him in thesummer, due to the transfer ban on the team by FIFA, so for now he is fully settled at Spezia”, a family source of the player told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Abdullahi joined Spezia from well respected Nigeria Academy Football Academy Abuja (FAA),where the likes of Nura Abdullahi, Sadiq Umar, Theophilus Solomon and Theophilus Awua graduated from.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/exclusive-real-madrid-postpone-decision-on-signing-of-red-hot-nigerian-teen-abdullahi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:44pm On Jan 23, 2017
Kelechi Iheanacho Should Be Loaned Out To A Premier League Club – Jack Heale

Kelechi Iheancho has had a quick rise to fame at Manchester City beginning with his promotion to the first team from the academy back in the 2015/16 season.

He quickly established himself as a fans favorite under the reigns of Pelligrini with scoring the winner at Crystal Palace to sustain City’s five-game winning streak at the time in the Premier League.

From then he scored a further 13 goals in all competitions reflecting his impressive season imposing a threat to defences amongst the league’s best.

The 20-year-old Nigerian has recently fallen to third choice striker under Guardiola with the arrival of Brazilian wonder kid Gabriel Jesus whose flair and intelligence thrills the City faithful who are immensely excited to have him at their disposal.

Kelechi has only had a handful of starts this season and even with a return of six goals Pep still evidently lacks faith in the forward reflected by his lack of appearances during Aguero’s four-game suspension in which Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne, both unnatural strikers, were preferred for the position.

He has recently won Africa’s most promising player to partner his clinical finishing and sharpness within the box.

However there is still a lot to learn for the young forward with his technical ability such as first touch and dribbling needing improvement for him to a become the much more complete attacker.

Not only this, his off the ball intelligence to make logical runs in behind and when to press the opposition’s back line and when not to needs work but the majority of his weaknesses can be learned however it will take time for this progression to occur.

With him having the goal scoring prowess and ability to be scoring at least 15 goals a season if he was provided first team opportunities.

The player with the best goal to minute’s ratio in Premier League history, only the Argentinian ace comes close with a goal every 107.1 minutes in comparison to Kelechi’s goal every 95.7 minutes, would love the chance to be finding the net for a mid-table side.

Week in week football is needed to enhance his growth as a player, and a relegation threatened team might become the answer. He may become an integral part in their survival for the remainder of the campaign returning to City as a more complete forward.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/kelechi-iheanacho-should-be-loaned-out-to-a-premier-league-club-jack-heale/

(1) (2) (3) ... (475) (476) (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.