Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (480) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11648798 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
peterd53:

lol get ur fact right!! busquet started d final also as a midfielder,toure was use bcuz of d non-availability of player through suspension nd toure never played in a tree man back line under pep! it abidal-pique-alves or puyol playing in place of pique or alves

Toure lost his place 2 keita first, nd d later losing it to busquet, just bcuz segie is a good passer of d ball Dan both,he hardly lose possession. it just d same btween thiago nd cesc, pep prefer using thiago in midfield to cesc due to his passing game. it d coach philosophy, he sort 4 d best, who could fit into his game plan.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/01/30/the-greatest-teams-fc-barcelona-2008-2009/

try to read this article for future purposes. If you are a barca fan then it's clear you just recently became a fan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:43pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It is Guardiola that played Toure in Center back from the best of my knowledge. Not Rijkaard. By the time Guardiola took over Barca, Busquet was key to the future of the club. Along with Pique. Yaya Toure was not a top dog.

I repeat, Keita was bigger than him. Remember the dominance of Sevilla under Juande Ramos with Dani Alves and Keita. Yaya was never on their level before he left Barcelona.

Yaya was never a Barcelona top dog.

I can't believe you just typed this, maybe you should read this too
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/01/30/the-greatest-teams-fc-barcelona-2008-2009/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Maybe you should have watched some of those games before talking. Alves has never, will never and can never play in a 3 man backline. Alves is the wingback for Christ sake, whenever Barca switches to a back 3, Alves is always the defender who moves into a midfield position.

In that final in question, Toure started as a defender and that's my point, at the beginning of the season he was the starting CB but Pep started playing him out of position just to accomodate Busquets, at that point Yaya Toure was better than Busquets hands down, if you were a barca fan by then you'd know that it was a general consensus.

PS: please do not say it outside that Alves can play in a back 3, people will just think that you do not watch football

How can you say Yaya Toure was better hands down. That is not clear because we have to look on reference of the philosophy on ground.

Look at Hart for instance, many will say he is better than Bravo hands down. However, when it comes to the possession-heavy style, Hart is no where close to Bravo.

Busquets passing and understanding of Guardiola's philosophy is flawless. He fits in more than Toure and was the right choice for Guardiola.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

I can't believe you just typed this, maybe you should read this too

Can you make an excerpt of your point?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It is Guardiola that played Toure in Center back from the best of my knowledge. Not Rijkaard. By the time Guardiola took over Barca, Busquet was key to the future of the club. Along with Pique. Yaya Toure was not a top dog.

I repeat, Keita was bigger than him. Remember the dominance of Sevilla under Juande Ramos with Dani Alves and Keita. Yaya was never on their level before he left Barcelona.

Yaya was never a Barcelona top dog.

Who even discusses Yaya Toure in the same sentence with Keita at Barca? Keita was never a top prospect. Pep likes a defender who can pass the ball well, that was why Mascherano was purchased, he used to employ Yaya Toure in that position because of his versatility. At some point even Busquets played as a CB, so Pep playing Toure as a CB does not show anything. I repeat the best eleven that Barca had in 2008 contained Yaya Toure and not Busquets, but when the time came he kicked out Toure for Busquets and frankly, Busquets first full season was full of errors, most barca fans wanted him gone, some wanted Pep to convert him to a full CB or a Gk like his dad and let Mascherano play that position but despite his mistakes, Pep continued playing him and the game time he got improved his abilities. Now relate that to Iheanacho now, one mistake and he is on the bench the very next day, that is not how Busquets reached this level, forget drills, Bojan spent how many years under Pep drilling, but I can assure you that the Bojan I saw at the 2007 U17 isn't far from the one at Stoke City now, just like Iheanacho Pep used to play him sometimes, but whenever he makes a single mistake he gets benched immediately and the lad's confidence deserted him and well the rest is history. You will only tell Iheanacho to remain at City if you want him to turn into the next Bojan

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:54pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Who even discusses Yaya Toure in the same sentence with Keita at Barca? Keita was never a top prospect. Pep likes a defender who can pass the ball well, that was why Mascherano was purchased, he used to employ Yaya Toure in that position because of his versatility. At some point even Busquets played as a CB, so Pep playing Toure as a CB does not show anything. I repeat the best eleven that Barca had in 2008 contained Yaya Toure and not Busquets, but when the time came he kicked out Toure for Busquets and frankly, Busquets first full season was full of errors, most barca fans wanted him gone, some wanted Pep to convert him to a full CB or a Gk like his dad and let Mascherano play that position but despite his mistakes, Pep continued playing him and the game time he got improved his abilities. Now relate that to Iheanacho now, one mistake and he is on the bench the very next day, that is not how Busquets reached this level, forget drills, Bojan spent how many years under Pep drilling, but I can assure you that the Bojan I saw at the 2007 U17 isn't far from the one at Stoke City now, just like Iheanacho Pep used to play him sometimes, but whenever he makes a single mistake he gets benched immediately and the lad's confidence deserted him and well the rest is history. You will only tell Iheanacho to remain at City if you want him to turn into the next Bojan

Please, go back and read my point. I am talking of Pre Guardiola. If we were discussing who should have led the defensive midfield, it should have been Keita. You said Yaya Toure was a top dog at Barcelona. He was not a top dog if he got displaced in a season. Is that a top dog?

Keita was a top dog at Sevilla, outclassed Barcelona midfielders repeatedly.

Yaya has some run but that is not what you call a top dog.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:55pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

How can you say Yaya Toure was better hands down. That is not clear because we have to look on reference of the philosophy on ground.

Look at Hart for instance, many will say he is better than Bravo hands down. However, when it comes to the possession-heavy style, Hart is no where close to Bravo.

Busquets passing and understanding of Guardiola's philosophy is flawless. He fits in more than Toure and was the right choice for Guardiola.

Bravo won the Copa and La Liga, how is Hart who makes mistakes every other game better? I think Bravo has some confidence issue but is Hart better than him? Absolutely not.

Now about Busquets, you are talking about the Busquets of 2011, as at 2010 in fact, Busquets was still error-prone and a defensive liability, if you need some articles on that I can get them straight away.

But let me ask you, has Alves ever played in a 3 man defence?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:56pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

All this is long story. I have made a clear point. Sane without playing time improved on the training field.

It is so simple. So all this talk does not add.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please, go back and read my point. I am talking of Pre Guardiola. If we were discussing who should have led the defensive midfield, it should have been Keita. You said Yaya Toure was a top dog at Barcelona. He was not a top dog if he got displaced in a season. Is that a top dog?

Keita was a top dog at Sevilla, outclassed Barcelona midfielders repeatedly.

Yaya has some run but that is not what you call a top dog.

let me ask, in Guardiola's first season(2008/2009), which of the DMFs featured more than the other? Toure hands down. Which one is Keita again sef, I doubt if Keita played up to 10 games that year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:58pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Bravo won the Copa and La Liga, how is Hart who makes mistakes every other game better? I think Bravo has some confidence issue but is Hart better than him? Absolutely not.

Now about Busquets, you are talking about the Busquets of 2011, as at 2010 in fact, Busquets was still error-prone and a defensive liability, if you need some articles on that I can get them straight away.

But let me ask you, has Alves ever played in a 3 man defence?

I do not know. I say the one I know. Did I say Alves played in a three man defence? Ha ba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:59pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

let me ask, in Guardiola's first season(2008/2009), which of the DMFs featured more than the other? Toure hands down. Which one is Keita again sef, I doubt if Keita played up to 10 games that year.

You use the term top dog. From the article you posted, a young Busquets displaced Yaya Toure. That is no way a top dog.

I said, Pre Guardiola, Alves and Keita were far bigger players that Yaya Toure.

Toure became a top dog at City. Not Barca.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:01pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

All this is long story. I have made a clear point. Sane without playing time improved on the training field.

It is so simple. So all this talk does not add.

and what I am saying is that Bojan declined despite training under Pep without adequate game time and trust. Busquets on the other hand developed with game time and not that training ground policy of yours. Remember that at the beginning of the season Iheanacho was good whenever he came on because he was trying to impress, now his confidence is low. Sane is still in that bracket, he is trying to impress believing that Pep will reward him, if Pep doesn't the same thing will happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 10:03pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

My broda like I have told you forget all this drill shit.....I read for exams expecting to write for 30mins and u gave me 6 mins,HOW D HELL AM I SUPPOSE TO PASS...if nacho was quadiola's favourite,he would be playing...who was busquets when yaya was playing at barca.??abi yaya didn't get ur so called DRILLING??if he didn't,hw come he is playing nw?....be truthfull for once,ur coach has preferance simple!!!
Well at least we saw what Pep did to busquet so I do not agree with you on this one. When he sold Yaya I was pissed but seeing how well he developed busquet has had me rethinking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

and what I am saying is that Bojan declined despite training under Pep without adequate game time and trust. Busquets on the other hand developed with game time and not that training ground policy of yours. Remember that at the beginning of the season Iheanacho was good whenever he came on because he was trying to impress, now his confidence is low. Sane is still in that bracket, he is trying to impress believing that Pep will reward him, if Pep doesn't the same thing will happen

Bojan's decline was due to injury. Also, you missed the part of perseverance and hard work. You can not tell how hard Bojan worked.

Bojan is quality because of his time at Barcelona. He had his growth there. By the way, the whole decline talk does not add because people judge Bojan's academy football as the top height of the game and his time at Barca as decline.

Bojan did not hit the top at the big stage and injury worried him. Sometimes it looks like if he was banging hundred La Liga goals before Guardiola.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:09pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Iheanacho was Iheanacho. With playing time, he was scoring. With playing time at City, he will still score. It is not low confidence but low playing time.

Let Iheanacho improve in quality and then seek playing time. And he will score goals.

Sane is working hard and improving. Pep gave him his minutes and he showed his improvement. Same will happen with Iheanacho.

The young man needs training and lessons. Not Glory and praises for now. The time for that will come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
Algeria is out of the nations cup. Are these guys overrated?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 10:50pm On Jan 23, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Well at least we saw what Pep did to busquet so I do not agree with you on this one. When he sold Yaya I was pissed but seeing how well he developed busquet has had me rethinking

That's what I said,preferance is guadiola's style of coaching,......simple put,if he likes you he develops you....he develops you by giving you QUALITY playtime...if he dosnt like you??,,ask ibra,toure,eto etc....they'll explain much more better.lolz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 11:10pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

That's what I said,preferance is guadiola's style of coaching,......simple put,if he likes you he develops you....he develops you by giving you QUALITY playtime...if he dosnt like you??,,ask ibra,toure,eto etc....they'll explain much more better.lolz
Not to support the goodjoe, or all those in support of iheanacho leaving for loan. My question is what exactly do we want for iheanacho? Is it for him to become one of the world best or play regularly or both. And how can we achieve this? I support him going on loan so he can get more playing time but my fear is this, I don't want him to fizzle out. This is one of the few prospects we have in Nigeria and with the fact that he is even in Man City makes me happy. Not playing is not helping, but I don't want him to just go on loan to any team just to play. That might improve his confidence but he might not grow to become the player we always dreamed of. So what do we want for him? People do say Mou destroyed Mikel's career but I doubt if he would have won half of what he had if he by chance went to a lesser club. Time has a way of fixing things anyways

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 11:12pm On Jan 23, 2017
tbaba1234:
Coaching issues

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 11:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

You were trying to down play drills and I pointed it out to you. You can't tell us to forget drills otherwise Barcelona would not be one of the best teams in the world. Playing time helps but as my friend will say you can't give what you don't have. The Lad is young and his time will come whether in this team or on loan. But never underestimate what drills can do

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 11:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

And did his moving to Roma, Milan or stoke improve Boyan? We need to weigh both options properly

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
Mickael2:

Maybe you should have watched some of those games before talking. Alves has never, will never and can never play in a 3 man backline. Alves is the wingback for Christ sake, whenever Barca switches to a back 3, Alves is always the defender who moves into a midfield position.

In that final in question, Toure started as a defender and that's my point, at the beginning of the season he was the starting CB but Pep started playing him out of position just to accomodate Busquets, at that point Yaya Toure was better than Busquets hands down, if you were a barca fan by then you'd know that it was a general consensus.

PS: please do not say it outside that Alves can play in a back 3, people will just think that you do not watch football
You're right on the money. Dani Alves playing as a centre back in back 3? When I thought I've seen it all on this thread.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

Ibrahimovic was too egotistical to learn. You can not pin that on Guardiola.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 11:31pm On Jan 23, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Not to support the goodjoe, or all those in support of iheanacho leaving for loan. My question is what exactly do we want for iheanacho? Is it for him to become one of the world best or play regularly or both. And how can we achieve this? I support him going on loan so he can get more playing time but my fear is this, I don't want him to fizzle out. This is one of the few prospects we have in Nigeria and with the fact that he is even in Man City makes me happy. Not playing is not helping, but I don't want him to just go on loan to any team just to play. That might improve his confidence but he might not grow to become the player we always dreamed of. So what do we want for him? People do say Mou destroyed Mikel's career but I doubt if he would have won half of what he had if he by chance went to a lesser club. Time has a way of fixing things anyways

My brother I like u for spilling the truth. No I don't want natcho to fizzle out...patience of course is good but d way d GoodJoe is making it sound is as if it is only guadiola that moulds players in football....whateva u pple say,nacho deserves more and more even more playing time...d same thing he did with sanchez,look at sanchez today....for me its an insult and lack of belive that you play a midfileder as a false nine when u claim u have a backup striker....forget philosophy poo

For christ sake d world expensive player left man u a begger but returned a God,...shows u what magic playing time carries
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:31pm On Jan 23, 2017
tbaba1234:
I think it's more a case of too many captains in one ship.

The thing with having too many star players and no cohesion is that your team will only look good on paper, but will never achieve full potential. Case-in-point, Argentina.

Anyway, hopefully this means they'll sack the talkative coach and remain in limbo long enough to ensure our qualification.

For now, make we dey monitor Cameroon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

On this thread, I said it that the Algerians were overrated 2 weeks before we played them.
I remember arguing it out with Mickael2 that only 3 of their players can get into out side.
He thought otherwise.
Our major contenders for the world cup is Cameron.
Not Zambia, not Algeria. And am not saying this with the benefit of hindsight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Bojan's decline was due to injury. Also, you missed the part of perseverance and hard work. You can not tell how hard Bojan worked.

Bojan is quality because of his time at Barcelona. He had his growth there. By the way, the whole decline talk does not add because people judge Bojan's academy football as the top height of the game and his time at Barca as decline.

Bojan did not hit the top at the big stage and injury worried him. Sometimes it looks like if he was banging hundred La Liga goals before Guardiola.

Ok I now get your point

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

My brother I like u for spilling the truth. No I don't want natcho to fizzle out...patience of course is good but d way d GoodJoe is making it sound is as if it is only guadiola that moulds players in football....whateva u pple say,nacho deserves more and more even more playing time...d same thing he did with sanchez,look at sanchez today....for me its an insult and lack of belive that you play a midfileder as a false nine when u claim u have a backup striker....forget philosophy poo

For christ sake d world expensive player left man u a begger but returned a God,...shows u what magic playing time carries

What did he do with Sanchez? Arsenal is not Barcelona. Song was brutal at Arsenal. Regular playing. Went to Barcelona and was not a regular. Sanchez can shine at Arsenal but if he is at Barcelona today, who will he bench? Neymar, Messi or Suarez. Pick one.

Do not think Sanchez did not learn at Barcelona. He did.

The same Thiago Alcantara who could not see enough games at Barcelona went to Bayern Munich and broke records. Learn, develop as a player then look for playing time to show talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:37pm On Jan 23, 2017
goldfish80:

On this thread, I said it that the Algerians were overrated 2 weeks before we played them.
I remember arguing it out with Mickael2 that only 3 of their players can get into out side.
Our major contenders for the world cup is Cameron.
Not Zambia, not Algeria. And am not saying this with the benefit of hindsight.

bros, you no dey ever forget? You remembered every single thing, even the Echejile argument too. You win sha, although I think that most of them just want to get back to their clubs unlike Mane who wants the glory but well Cameroon havent been that great either
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
promzyphyno:

After running up and Dan, Pogba did not learn to control the midfield. He can not play as a deep-lying playmaker. His eagerness to shine left him with that gap. His positioning sometimes is amateurish.

That is what happens when a young player runs for glory instead of development. Pogba came back expensive. Not a god.

I hope Carrick is helping Pogba improve in training. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 11:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Ibrahimovic was too egotistical to learn. You can not pin that on Guardiola.

"Zlat don't do trials " rememberAnd by the way what drill does ibra need??passing drills,pressing drills,shooting drills,or heading drills?

Well me I have said it....,nacho should move by the end of this season,anyways I trust pep,if u r not needed he sells you outrightly....don't b shocked when this happens

I still use pogba as a talking point...nacho should recive sense o....

O Pari!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.