Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (485) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11654148 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:21am On Jan 25, 2017
Injured Odubajo Confident of Making EPL Debut At Hull City

Super Eagles prospect, Moses Odubajo believe he will still get the chance to make his dream debut in the English Premier League.

Odubajo was instrumental to Hull City returning to the EPL, but suffered a serious injury during a pre-season against Grimsby in the summer.

He also suffered a relapse when he was close to making a return to the team.

Commenting on his injury-induced setback and his ambition of playing in the EPL, Odubajo stated that his teammates have a part to play for his dream to be realised.

"I've just been lucky," Odubajo told Daily Mail.

"The first injury was a freak injury. It was two minutes into a pre-season game. Injuries will happen but it's the way you bounce back from them.

" I think my time will come and if the lads can stay in the Premier League then that'll help. If we go down, we go down.

"There's always going to be chance for me to play in the Premier League if I keep my head down and work hard because I've got age on my side."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/injured-odubajo-confident-making-epl-debut-hull-city/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:23am On Jan 25, 2017
English FA Reduces Ikeme’s Three Match Suspension To Two Games

The English Football Association has reduced Wolverhampton Wanderers' goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme's three-man suspension to two matches, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports. ‎

The reduction of Ikeme's suspension was confirmed on the FA's official website on Tuesday following an appeal by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Ikeme was shown a straight red card for pushing Norwich City's player Wes Hoolahan after accusing the player of diving inside the 18 yard box to con the referee for‎ a penalty.

Wolverhampton Wanderers went on to lose the game 3-1.
A statement on the FA's website reads:"Carl Ikeme’s three-match suspension for violent conduct has been reduced to two matches after a claim of excessive punishment was successful.

"An earlier wrongful dismissal claim in relation to the Wolverhampton Wanderers player’s sending off against Norwich City on Saturday [21 January 2017] was rejected.

"Both claims were heard before an Independent Regulatory Commission today."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/english-fa-reduces-ikemes-three-match-suspension-two-games/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2017
Courtois Mocks Mikel, Oscar Over China Move

Chelsea goalkeeper, Thibaut Courtois has critized former teammates; Mikel John Obi and Oscar for swapping the club for China, Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

Mikel and Oscar both left Stamford Bridge in January, signing big money deals at Tianjin TEDA and Shanghai SIPG respectively.

And in what appeared to be a thinly-veiled swipe at his former teammates, Courtois explained why he would never take the same path.

"Some players are more concentrated on what they will do after their football career and want to make sure their lives are financially settled," the Belgian goalkeeper told mirror.co.uk.

"I prefer to play in big teams, earn a little less money and win trophies."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/courtois-mock-mikel-oscar-china-move/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:30am On Jan 25, 2017
Victor Moses Back On Form After Challenging Three Years

Victor Moses’ career at Stamford Bridge may have once been a laughing matter, but, no opponents seem to be able to stop the Nigerian-born winger from having fun in his Chelsea shirt now. The next opponents the Nigeria international will face are Crystal Palace, where he was given his professional debut at the tender age of sixteen back in 2007. Yet, similar to Chelsea themselves this Premier League season, Moses has managed to build up a strong momentum that the Eagles are likely going to find difficult to halt.

Difficult Three Years

Purchased in 2012 from Wigan for £9 million, Moses made his first league start for Chelsea just two months ago at Hull, after waiting for a grand total of 1239 days to play for the Blues. It has been a struggle for the 25-year-old, who has been on three season-long loans to Liverpool, West Ham and Stoke over the past three years of his career. The lack of faithin his abilities from Chelsea and former boss Jose Mourinho undoubtedly affected his personality, however, he is now back on top form with the Blues and probably leaving Mourinho regretting his decision to put the winger on loan after Moses has shown that he is a key player in Chelsea’s 10-game winning streak this season, a far cry from their substandard performance under the former manager.

Better Times

Former Chelsea and Nigeria International teammate Mikel John Obi told Standard Sport that this is the happiest he has seen Moses at the club. He says that you can ‘really notice the change’ in the 25-year-old on the training ground, and he’s no longer quiet and reserved but rather making jokes, having a laugh, and finally getting to know his fellow Blues a little better. Apparently, Obi’s advice to Moses was to ‘be a man, stay and fight for your place’ when he was sent on loan, but the Nigeria International said that his friend ‘had his own agenda’ and went on loan anyway, something that his teammate said he respected. However, this year, he seemed ‘fed up’ of being on loan and decided that it was time to compete for his rightful spot.

Right Decision

Naturally, the arrival of new manager Antonio Conte this summer has been hugely influential in getting Moses on the pitch at Stanford Bridge. The Italian’s decision to switch Moses to the right wing position in a 3-4-3 formation may have shocked everybody in the Premier League and beyond, however, the move has certainly paid off nicely, with Chelsea currently in a safe position at number one on the Premier League table and favourites to win with all the best bookmakers at Bookmaker Ratings. Moses has heaped praise on his new boss, saying that by showing faith in him, Conte has managed to restore the player’s confidence after a tough three years.

It seems that the admiration is mutual, too, with Conte reporting that he is ‘pleased to have’ Moses on the team. The Italian apparently approached the Nigerian player during pre-season, before telling him that he wasn’t going anywhere as Conte ‘believed in him’, a move which would turn out to be one of the best decisions made by the new Stanford Bridge boss. Moses said that Conte motivates the whole team to work hard and do well for him, praising the way that he reacts and encourages his team from the touchline. He gives a lot of credit to his new boss for his success so far this season, saying that Conte is ‘always in his ear’ making sure that he’s doing the right thing.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/victor-moses-back-form-challenging-three-years-2/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:47am On Jan 25, 2017
Everton Trying To Sign Man City Nigerian Defender Before Close Of Transfer Window

Everton are hoping to complete the signing of England youth-teamer of Nigerian ancestry Tosin Adarabioyo before the close of the January transfer window.

The well informed Liverpool Echo writes on its electronic edition that the Toffees U23 boss David Unsworth wants to strengthen the defense with the Manchester City talent.

Adarabioyo is in the final five months of his contract with City and talks on a new deal have not been productive, with the player asking for improved wages before extending his stay.

The Manchester native was officially promoted to the first team of the Citizens in 2016 but has seen his first-team opportunities limited, with only three appearances to his name this term.

Adarabioyo has been on the books of Man City for the past fourteen years.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21829
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:49am On Jan 25, 2017
Africa Hottest Youngster Iwobi In The Running For Arsenal Player Of The Month Award

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4783115_iwobi_jpeg0e0a208bf06ef21ea6a566ff1d8da08e

Super Eagles rising star Alex Iwobi is in the running for Arsenal’s Vitality Player of the Month for January 2017.

The official website of the Gunners listed the Hale End Academy product as one of the favourites to clinch the accolade alongside Chilean Alexis Sanchez and Frenchman Olivier Giroud.

Iwobi has started every single game contested by Arsenal in January, five in total, scoring one goal and notching three assists in all competitions.

“Alex Iwobi once again caught the eye over the course of the month, scoring against Palace and then playing a key role in three of our four goals at Liberty Stadium, ”Arsenal stated on their official website.

The 20-year-old is the current African Youth Player of the Year.

Igho Kingsley

allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21826

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:11am On Jan 25, 2017
We won’t celebrate Algeria’s failure in AFCON, says NFF

By Gowon Akpodonor

Algeria’s 2-2 draw with Senegal effectively knocked the North Africans out of the on-going African Nations Cup in Gabon. It also forced Belgian, Georges Leekens, to resign as the Fennecs coach. PHOTO: AFP.

• Coach Georges Leekens quits

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says there is nothing to celebrate over the resignation of Algeria’s Belgian coach, Georges Leekens, who quit yesterday after the side crashed out of the on-going Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

Algeria were one of the pre-tournament favourites for the competition, but they failed to win a game in their opening group.The North Africans are in the same group with the Super Eagles of Nigeria in the qualifiers for Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.

While Nigeria is leading the group with six points from two matches, Algeria has just one point from the same number of games.

Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, NFF Technical Committee chairman, Chris Green, said the fact that Algeria could not make it beyond the group stage at Gabon 2017 AFCON does not make the team a weak side.

“We won’t celebrate it because no two matches are the same. In football, the current form of a team, attitude of the players and the environment you find yourself matters so much. Nigeria is not in Gabon for the on-going AFCON, but that does not mean that the Super Eagles is a weak team. We will play all our remaining qualifying matches as if we were in the World Cup final,” Green stated.

The Super Eagles will play the Lions of Cameroun home and away in August this year, host Zambia before going to Algeria for their last Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier.

Algeria’s Belgian coach, Georges Leekens said in a statement on the Algerian Football Federation website yesterday: “For the good of all I decided to quit even though I do it with heart ache, and I wish all the success in the world to the national side.”

After the game in Franceville, Leekens indicated he hoped to continue as coach, with the next target being qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

“But given the pressure on the federation and the national team, I preferred to end my contract out of friendship for the president of the FAF (Algerian Football Federation) who deserves respect,” he said in the statement.

t.guardian.ng/sport/we-wont-celebrate-algerias-failure-in-afcon-says-nff/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:13am On Jan 25, 2017
Rohr to visit Mikel, Martins in China

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Super Eagles head coach, Gernot Rohr has put all logistics in place for Rohr to pay an official visit to John Mikel Obi and Obafemi Martins in China.

The Eagles gaffer will leave for China in the second week of February to discuss Nations and World Cup qualifiers and most importantly the way forward with the Nigerian players.

According to the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF), scribe Dr. Sanusi Mohammed, the Super Eagles tactician has been given permission by the Glass House to visit any player he feels is of important to him in delivering the trophies for the country.

He said: “The Federation has given Rohr blank cheque to do what is necessary. He owe us (Nigeria) the World Cup and Nations cup tickets. The federation can’t stop him from travelling if the purpose is enhance his job with no cost implication to the federation. It is our duty to encourage him to do what is best for us to be in Russia,” Sanusi said.

Sanusi also stated that the Eagles Boss will visit London to meet with Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Ademola Lukman, Ahmed Musa, Wilfred Ndidi. He said the visit is to prepare their minds for the task ahead.

“I can tell you that Rohr calls the office daily from Gabon and we speak each time our world cup opponents played in their games in the ongoing Nations Cup in Gabon. Rohr is really doing a good job”. Sanusi concluded.

thenationonlineng.net/rohr-visit-mikel-martins-china/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:10am On Jan 25, 2017
joseph1013:

Remove Morocco and put Burkina Faso
Remove DR Congo and put Mali

South Africa deserves a place but I don't know who to remove.

After last night's games does this opinion still stand? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 8:12am On Jan 25, 2017
Defending for some teams in the nation's cup has been terrible, an average disciplined side from Europe or Asia will give us Africans headache in the world cup. To me, Algeria has been the greatest culprits. I would like a friendly with Congolese and maybe Tunisia and later on Egypt. Oh, and I have to commend the celebration of the Congolese grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:13am On Jan 25, 2017
Lazyerudite:

I love my country to be honest but I would not put us in the top 5 yet even top ten for now. Your list is good except Nigeria for Mali. My reason is simple, if we were top 5, we would have been in the nation's cup. Also if the list was about future prospects in terms of players we have then we would be number one. For now let's keep building and watch how good we can become. I pity those countries that are making fun of us now, time has a way of sorting things out

How can you replace Nigeria for Mali? What has Mali achieved in the last 15 years or even in the last 3years? They don't have the kind of quality we have. Sentiments aside Nigeria is in top 5 in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:15am On Jan 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

So far in the Afcon my top 5 is,
Senegal
Ghana
Tunisia
Burkina Faso
Congo DRC

The assessment goes beyond AFCON. A general assessment we need.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:16am On Jan 25, 2017
chrisooblog:
interesting question let me take a shot at it.

1. NIGERIA
currently we have very exciting young players doing great things in top clubs in europe. right now we are in dominating form in the qualifiers rohr has so far moulded our individual talents into a very team and our rise in FIFA rankings indicate this change in fortune with continued good coaching and seriousness on the part of our players we would make a great african representative.

2. SENEGAL
team filled with great emerging talents all over europe with sheer ability they would beat most on the continent. i'm not yet 100% convinced the senegalese have a coach who can harness their talent to play to their full potential yes they are doing well in the AFCON but their world cup qualifying campaign hasn't been quite smooth. i feel with excellent coaching they will be formidable opponents.

3. GHANA
in terms of talent they are not as formidable as they were a couple of years ago but they are still a threat. they have a good coach who uses tactics wired to their strengths. doing well so far in AFCON were unusually sloppy in their preparations for the world cup qualifiers hence their poor start.

4. DR CONGO
these guys have been knocking on the door for some years now have some exciting players an ambitious coach things are really looking up for the congolese been great in the world cup qualifiers AFCON campaign hasn't been too shabby either seems the glory days of congolese football are gradually coming back.

5. IVORY COAST
most of their golden generation of players are now retired but make no mistakes they are still a dangerous team started their qualifying campaign for the world cup on a decent note though AFCON has been shaky. still a great african team.

for the rest of the top 10 cameroon is a bit depleted talent wise, algeria need a good strong coach to handle the ego of their players, egypt few outstanding players but very disciplined and dangerous, tunisia just there above average, burkina faso have potential just need belief and more confidence

Good analysis. Except I would replace Ghana with Egypt.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:17am On Jan 25, 2017
wayodude:

In no particular order and based on current playing personnel the top 5 teams in Africa are;

Senegal, Algeria, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, DR Congo

A good list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:24am On Jan 25, 2017
goldfish80:

It's a nice list you put together. But if you put Nigeria in a top 10 list then South Africa deserves a shout too.
The south Africans have been enterprising and steadfast in their football development more than many countries in the world not to talk of Africa.
They have been getting their rewards recently as exemplified by Sundowns winning the champions league.

In the world cup qualifier they have played against 2 teams in your list(Burkina Faso and Senegal) and have not lost a game.

I think Senegal are slightly being overhyped. In my opinion, the 2002 team pisses all over this team. There is just something about this team that am yet to be convinced about.

My top ten African teams are;
Ghana (1)
South Africa (2)
Nigeria (3)
Egypt (4)
Senegal (5)
Tunisa (6)
Algeria(7)
Congo (cool
Cameroun(9)
Mali (10)

Finally, I think African countries should reach out to some of their foreign born players.
In my opinion, teams like Cameroun will be better with a player like Mbappe, Tunisa would present a better team if Ben Yedder was playing for them. Algeria will do a lot better with Nabil Fekir in their team. The list goes on.....

South Africa? You even Rank them ahead of Nigeria in ur top 10 list. We are not talking about league structure/organization. We are talking about the strength of the senior national teams. Before I will even list South Africa I would mention countries like: Mali, Burkina Faso, Zambia and Guinea. And the Congo on your list is it Congo DR or PR Congo. You did not include Morocco on your list but they did needful last night.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:27am On Jan 25, 2017
goldfish80:

It's a nice list you put together. But if you put Nigeria in a top 10 list then South Africa deserves a shout too.
The south Africans have been enterprising and steadfast in their football development more than many countries in the world not to talk of Africa.
They have been getting their rewards recently as exemplified by Sundowns winning the champions league.

In the world cup qualifier they have played against 2 teams in your list(Burkina Faso and Senegal) and have not lost a game.

I think Senegal are slightly being overhyped . In my opinion, the 2002 team pisses all over this team. There is just something about this team that am yet to be convinced about.

Ghana (1)
South Africa (2)
Nigeria (3)
Egypt (4)
Senegal (5)
Tunisa (6)
Algeria(7)
Congo (cool
Cameroun(9)
Mali (10)

Finally, I think African countries should reach out to some of their foreign born players.
In my opinion, teams like Cameroun will be better with a player like Mbappe, Tunisa would present a better team if Ben Yedder was playing for them. Algeria will do a lot better with Nabil Fekir in their team. The list goes on.....

Senegal are not over-hyped. I even feel they have under-achieved. They are among my top favorites to win this AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:29am On Jan 25, 2017
terzurum5:
Exclusive – Russian-Nigerian Defender Idowu Cleared To Play For Nigeria After Meeting With Rohr

24 year old Russian-Nigerian defender Brian Idowu has assured coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr that he will be available to play for Nigeria if called up.

Amkar Perm defender Idowu gave the assurances to Rohr during a meeting according to report exclusively gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com editorial staff.

A decision on his inclusion in the Super Eagles squad for their next friendly tie against Senegal will be made in the coming days.

Idowu was born in Russia to a Nigerian father but his mother is half Russian according to reports.

He reportedly spent time in Owerri, South- East Nigeria, arriving Nigeria at the age of 3 before leaving back for Russia at the age of 6.

Since then he has spent the rest of his life in St. Petersburg, where he started his career as a footballer for FC Smena St. Petersburg before moving to Russian giants Zenith St. Petersburg.

However he failed to make the grade at the Russian side and joined Amkar Perm in 2011, where he has spent the last six seasons although he spent time on loan with Dinamo St. Petersburg in 2013.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/23/exclusive-russian-nigerian-defender-idowu-cleared-to-play-for-nigeria-after-meeting-with-rohr/

Good news. Lets quickly try him in our next friendly.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:31am On Jan 25, 2017
terzurum5:
Agent Says Nigeria International Goalkepper Will Join Mamelodi Sundowns This Week

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal that Enugu Rangers and Nigeria U-23 shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel could arrive South Africa this week to complete his transfer to Mamelodi Sundowns.

Daniel has been heavily linked with the defending champions of the CAF Champions League and the Premier South Africa League by the media in South Africa.

The Nigeria U-23 goalkepper who also doubles as the third choice goalkepper of the Nigeria senior national team is expected to have his medical this week with the club.

”Daniel will most likely travel this weekend to join Mamelodi Sundowns, talks are already at an advanced stage and barring any last minute hitch, the deal could be sealed as early as next week”, one of his representatives told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Nigeria League champions Enugu Rangers have already started planning without him for their CAF Champions League campaign with Nana Bonsu and Itodo Akor selected for their midweek tie in the Nigeria Professional Football League.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/24/agent-says-nigeria-international-goalkepper-will-join-mamelodi-sundowns-this-week/

Good move for now.

I hope he keeps developing. We need credible back-ups for Ikeme.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:32am On Jan 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
My team DR Congo representing..

Looks like the glory days of DR congo are back.

Zaire of those days.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:33am On Jan 25, 2017
goldfish80:

LOL.. Not so long ago, you were boasting how they will decimate Egypt and stroll to the Crown.

I still think they could beat Egypt. That group was not easy at all, they are a younger team but if u watched them u can't deny their talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:33am On Jan 25, 2017
terzurum5:
Exclusive – Agent Confirms Liverpool Interest In Signing Prolific Nigerian Forward Henry Onyekuru

English Premier League giants Liverpool have joined the likes of Fenerbache, Celtic, CSKA Moscow, RB Leipzig and Hoffeinheim in registering their interest in signing Henry Onyekuru.

Onyekuru has taken the Belgian league by storm with 10 goals to his name for newly promoted Eupen in the first stanza of the league, which has made him the beautiful bride of most European teams.

Scottish giants Celtic reportedly failed with a bid to sign him few days ago according to various reports in Belgium.

However an intermediary who sounded out Fenerbahce interest to the representative of the 19 year old forward says Liverpool have also the hunt for him.

”His agent told me about Liverpool’s interest yesterday when I tried to re- ignite Fenerbahce’s interest in his services. I don’t how long Eupen can hold on to him, he is a very good player.

”He (Onyekuru) will most likely leave Eupen before the end of this transfer window despite their hard stance. They could be forced to cash in on him”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/24/exclusive-agent-confirms-liverpool-interest-in-signing-prolific-nigerian-forward-henry-onyekuru/

Really? (Shines eyes)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:35am On Jan 25, 2017
krattoss:
gradels of this world,bony,aurier, etc..

yet NOTHING COME OUT..

They are back to default mode: -Perennial underachievers just also like Senegal and Mali.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:37am On Jan 25, 2017
goldfish80:

Almost all the links to Liverpool goes back to owngoalnigeria.com
A Merseyside based blog tagged them as a "dubious website" in their report of the story
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/01/rumour-mill-liverpool-linked-teenage-nigerian-winger-henry-onyekuru/

Ok na. I withdraw my eyes shining. sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:38am On Jan 25, 2017
Icon4s:

After last night's games does this opinion still stand? grin

it still does jor. Are you going to remove Ivory Coast from your top 10 because they crashed out? Or worse, Nigeria. we didn't even qualify for the tournament. Algeria crashed out too, but we know they have a good team, they just lack a good coach who can help them with cohesion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

Yes, it was reported as a statement from his agent and that is possible. Agents say crap like that all the time.

Just like the story of Onobi going to Monaco, days before he signed for Abia warriors.

Chai grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:43am On Jan 25, 2017
joseph1013:

it still does jor. Are you going to remove Ivory Coast from your top 10 because they crashed out? Or worse, Nigeria. we didn't even qualify for the tournament. Algeria crashed out too, but we know they have a good team, they just lack a good coach who can help them with cohesion.

So you still don't see Morocco and DR Congo as forces to be reckoned with in African football? I drew that list even before the last night's games. So it is not only about this AFCON performances. Recall DR Congo trashed Nigeria 3-0 in a friendly last year. Look also at the array of the DR. Congo stars playing the England and France.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:44am On Jan 25, 2017
terzurum5:
English FA Reduces Ikeme’s Three Match Suspension To Two Games

The English Football Association has reduced Wolverhampton Wanderers' goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme's three-man suspension to two matches, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports. ‎

The reduction of Ikeme's suspension was confirmed on the FA's official website on Tuesday following an appeal by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Ikeme was shown a straight red card for pushing Norwich City's player Wes Hoolahan after accusing the player of diving inside the 18 yard box to con the referee for‎ a penalty.

Wolverhampton Wanderers went on to lose the game 3-1.
A statement on the FA's website reads:"Carl Ikeme’s three-match suspension for violent conduct has been reduced to two matches after a claim of excessive punishment was successful.

"An earlier wrongful dismissal claim in relation to the Wolverhampton Wanderers player’s sending off against Norwich City on Saturday [21 January 2017] was rejected.

"Both claims were heard before an Independent Regulatory Commission today."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/english-fa-reduces-ikemes-three-match-suspension-two-games/

So will he now play against Liverpool in the FA Cup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:49am On Jan 25, 2017
Icon4s:

The assessment goes beyond AFCON. A general assessment we need.

The Afcon proves who is the best but if we must include Nigeria here is my top 5 list.

1. Senegal
2. Nigeria
3. Ghana
4. DR Congo
5. Tunisia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:03am On Jan 25, 2017
goldfish80:

I think Senegal are slightly being overhyped. In my opinion, the 2002 team pisses all over this team. There is just something about this team that am yet to be convinced about.

Ghana (1)
South Africa (2)
Nigeria (3)
Egypt (4)
Senegal (5)
Tunisa (6)
Algeria(7)
Congo (cool
Cameroun(9)
Mali (10)

South Africa does not have the quality of players to compete with the big dogs. They mostly have to wait on an off year to strike. All credit to the sundowns but both their key players(Billiat, Oyango) are not South African. Also Senegal got cheated in South Africa and I can't see them even competing with this team. Senegal held Algeria with their team B, I don't see much hype in that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:08am On Jan 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Good news. Lets quickly try him in our next friendly.
Sure.
You must have saved yourself and many other paesonalities here the stress of engaging in energy sarping debates which could have spanned pages of threads

TheGoodJoe should be nodding his head somewhere by now.

TheGoodJoe, you can now bring down your raised foot. gringrin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:24am On Jan 25, 2017
Icon4s:

South Africa? You even Rank them ahead of Nigeria in ur top 10 list. We are not talking about league structure/organization. We are talking about the strength of the senior national teams. Before I will even list South Africa I would mention countries like: Mali, Burkina Faso, Zambia and Guinea. And the Congo on your list is it Congo DR or PR Congo. You did not include Morocco on your list but they did needful last night.
My list compilation was in no particular order. Sorry I dint point that out.

I think South Africa have made some giant strides in the past few years. They deserve to be in company of Africa's best teams.
Their team is relatively young and I see an upward trajectory going by the standard of their league which is being reflected in the Caf champions league. If Countries like Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda owe their recent improvements to the PSL, how about South Africa themselves who owns the league?

I watched SA play against Burkina in Ouagadougou, they should have won that gave if not for the dubious penalty call in stoppage time. Against Senegal, they dominated the Teranga lions for long periods. Let's forget about the controversial referee call in their favour but based on the balance of play, they deserved the win.

I deliberately left out Maroc because they haven't done anything worthy of note in football at any level for the past 10 yrs. Absolutely nothing. Even down to their clubsides. They aren't just there yet, infact I would rather have Cape Verde than Morocco. Technically the Cape verdians have been more successful than Morocco over the past few years,they were ranked inside the top 30 just last year.
A fluke win against a fledgling Ivorian side counts as nothing after all these years, in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:25am On Jan 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

South Africa does not have the quality of players to compete with the big dogs. They mostly have to wait on an off year to strike. All credit to the sundowns but both their key players(Billiat, Oyango) are not South African. Also Senegal got cheated in South Africa and I can't see them even competing with this team. Senegal held Algeria with their team B, I don't see much hype in that.
If a team of 22 players have just 2 key players who aren't natives, then am impressed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) (488) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.