Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,003 members, 7,838,516 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (984) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11799392 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:31pm On May 26, 2017
Icon4s:
I no kukuma watch the match.Did not even follow any online updates.

*Spreads mat and lies down waiting for players ratings*.
shu.... You na one kind of a person
LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 9:32pm On May 26, 2017
Owngoalnigeria is reporting Iheanacho's move to west ham, according to them he's scheduled for medicals tomorrow in France. I hope onyekuru follows suit. Will love to see them build some kind of partnership ahead of the world cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:32pm On May 26, 2017
the number of ghost readers here tonight na waa

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2017
We should stop all this talk that is not a good move
we all ask him to move out man city so lets support him
@THEGOODJOE where you dey come out your boy may be leaving man city i believe he has learned so much from pep
#kelechiIheanacho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:45pm On May 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Yes ooooo...
free indeed we are! smiley wink

But ehmmmmm... Sir BascoVanVeli... what do you think about Nacho's move to west ham? I feel Bilic wanna make Nacho the main man in his attack... a fee of 24million pounds is really huge for a 20-year old African player... They must really rate him so high and I know West ham fans will love this... but what do you think Sir?

Hoffenheim was my first and best choice for Nacho but it seems they couldn't meet the asking price... And West Ham is a very good team with a sound coach like Bilic... so what's your take?

I also read that Man City inserted a buy-back clause in the deal... funny right?

I can't sit up and tell u that it is the best choice because only time can tell us that but I feel Slaven Bilic is a very good coach. He should get a bit of the credit for Victor Moses because he gave him a place to express himself. Remember that they took the EPL by storm a couple seasons ago and I believe their downturn is a result of not having a capable striker on deck. On paper it is a match made in heaven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:46pm On May 26, 2017
Danycrusoe:
the number of ghost readers here tonight na waa
the number no be here oo....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:49pm On May 26, 2017
Anybody that lay his hands on the ratings should please share it here abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:52pm On May 26, 2017
onyekuru was not subtituted by rohr its means he had a good game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:59pm On May 26, 2017
kudos to iheanacho and pls where is thegoodjoe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:06pm On May 26, 2017
Thanks for your thoughts Sir Basco.... well noted. And yeah that was about two seasons ago... when Westham took the EPL by storm... they had a payet....

Time will indeed tell... but something hints to me that The likes of Iheanacho, Ayew, Lanzini, Feghouli and Antonio in one team may yield something beautiful....

And if Onyekuru joins him there.... not certain though... that will be quite something..... Anyway, time will tell... But if Bilic is ready to place his trust and faith in Nacho and make him his star man, Then I feel Nacho will step up to the plate...

West ham is a good choice... may not be the best to some (I also personally wanted Hoffenheim) but may just turn out even better than we think....

BascoVanVeli:

I can't sit up and tell u that it is the best choice because only time can tell us that but I feel Slaven Bilic is a very good coach. He should get a bit of the credit for Victor Moses because he gave him a place to express himself. Remember that they took the EPL by storm a couple seasons ago and I believe their downturn is a result of not having a capable striker on deck. On paper it is a match made in heaven.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:10pm On May 26, 2017
Lemme drop some of Owngoalnigeria's accounts on the game

More to follow after this.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half Time Report : Corsica 1-0 Nigeria – Onyekuru Misses Sitter, Mu’azam Shines

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are currently trailing Corsica 0-1 in a friendly game ongoing at the Stade François Coty, Ajaccio.
Nigeria went behind after debutant Tyronne Ebuehi handled in the box as early as the 5th minute in his attempt to clear a cross in the box. Jean Jacques Mandrichi buried the resultant penalty pass Ikechukwu Ezenwa to put Corsica ahead.

Super Eagles went in search of an equaliser, with debutant Mikel Agu pulling the strings from the middle and his pass set Ahmed Musa free, but his well weighted lay was wasted by another debutant Henry Onyekuru with the goalkeeper at his mercy.

Nigeria continued to dominate the game with Oghenekaro Etebo and Musa proving too much to handle for the French Island, particularly Musa whose pace troubled the left back of Corsica.

However Nigeria’s next chance didn’t come from Musa rather from captain Elderson Echiejile who took up a winger’s postion from his role as left back to whip in a telling cross which was headed wide by another debutant Alhassan Ibrahim.

Alhassan popularly referred to as Mu’azam headed wide from close range with the goalkeeper beaten, and ten minutes after his miss his shot was spilled by the Corsica shot stopper but Musa failed to tap home the rebound.

Etebo also came close, while Onyekuru had a half chance to help Nigeria draw level but it wasn’t to be the case as Corsica went into the break leading Nigeria 1-0.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/26/half-time-report-corsica-1-0-nigeria-onyekuru-misses-sitter-muazam-shines/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:12pm On May 26, 2017
JOEBIE! JOEBIE!! JOEBIE!!!......
how many times ah call you ,
hmmmm... Ma take one eye dey look you first
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 10:13pm On May 26, 2017
I just hope this whole Iheanacho to westham thing isn't a rumour. I hope the boy has finally escaped the claws of that bald headed racist.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:15pm On May 26, 2017
Out Of Favour Man City Forward Iheanacho Rescues Nigeria From Defeat Against Corsica

The Super Eagles of Nigeria forced Corsica to a 1-1 draw in a friendly game decided at the Stade François Coty, Ajaccio.

Nigeria went behind after debutant Tyronne Ebuehi handled in the box as early as the 5th minute in his attempt to clear a cross in the box. Jean Jacques Mandrichi buried the resultant penalty pass Ikechukwu Ezenwa to put Corsica ahead.

Super Eagles went in search of an equaliser, with debutant Mikel Agu pulling the strings from the middle and his pass set Ahmed Musa free, but his well weighted lay was wasted by another debutant Henry Onyekuru with the goalkeeper at his mercy.

Nigeria continue to dominate the game with Oghenekaro Etebo and Musa proving too much to handle for the French Island, particularly Musa whose pace troubled the left back of Corsica.

However Nigeria’s next chance didn’t come from Musa rather from captain Elderson Echiejile who took up a winger’s postion from his role as left back to whip in a telling cross which was headed wide by another debutant Alhassan Ibrahim.

Alhassan popularly referred to as Mu’azam headed wide from close range with the goalkeeper beaten, and ten minutes after his miss his shot was spilled by the Corsica shot stopper but Musa failed to tap home the rebound.

Etebo also came close, while Onyekuru had a half chance to help Nigeria draw level but it wasn’t to be the case as Corsica went into the break leading Nigeria 1-0.

The Nigerian team resumed the second half with same vigour which they ended the first with Kelechi Iheanacho coming to live more than he did in the first half.

Nigeria’s first chance of the second half fell to another debutant in Stephen Odey who came in for Alhassan, and his effort brought out a fine save from the Corsica goalkeeper.

Odey looked lively and his combination with Etebo paved the way for Iheanacho to have a pop at goal which was also well saved by the goalkeeper of Corsica.

Etebo tried his luck from range, while Ebuehi’s cross narrowly missed Onyekuru who was bearing down on goal few minutes to the 80th minute as Nigeria go in search of a leveller.

Ten minutes to the end of the game, Etebo made his characteristics strong run before he was fell in the box, and the referee wasted no time in pointing to the spot.

Iheanacho tucked home the resultant penalty to help the Super Eagles protect their unbeaten run under coach Gernot Rohr ahead of June 1st where they are expected to take on Togo in another friendly game.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/26/out-of-favour-man-city-forward-iheanacho-rescues-nigeria-from-defeat-against-corsica/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:15pm On May 26, 2017
Sir Joebie.... I told you they would show up..... grin
do4luv14:
JOEBIE! JOEBIE!! JOEBIE!!!...... how many times ah call you , hmmmm... Ma take one eye dey look you first
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:22pm On May 26, 2017
very observant of you to have noticed Sir TheGoodJoe's absence.... I also mentioned him at the beginning at the game and he is still no where to be found.... sad

jotey:
kudos to iheanacho and pls where is thegoodjoe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 10:23pm On May 26, 2017
May the unbeaten run continue till the end of the World Cup cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 10:31pm On May 26, 2017
PDPGuy:
May the unbeaten run continue till the end of the World Cup cheesy
some kind unbeaten run useless sha

When you draw three for group stage that's a waste of unbeaten run

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 10:44pm On May 26, 2017
kingphilip:

Right
I will rather prefer to win 3 matches than draw 2 and win 1 match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:45pm On May 26, 2017
kingphilip:

Lol...you nor well at all.
hopefully they'll blend better
it amaze me...if new debutants could play this way how much more the main team or when they've have blend.

I think rohr and the lads are doing a great job..
just that goal keeping department need to be looked Into.something tells me that alloy agu is not doing enough
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 10:46pm On May 26, 2017
some news on KC transfer by @citywatch on twitter :
Manchester City are playing hardball with West Ham on Kelechi Iheanacho (20) and refusing to even give a price at this stage. [@ClaretandH]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:02pm On May 26, 2017
In The Nigeria-Corsica game, Rohr started with Five debutants.... five greenhorns...

Awaziem, Ebuehi, Mikel Agu, Alhassan MuaZam, and Henry Onyekuru.

Then he brought in three more Greenhorns/debutants in Stephen Odey, Sikiru Olatunbosun, and Uche Agbo.

That makes a total of Eight lads who got their First Super Eagles Caps today.

I think the 1-1 scoreline is a fair result even though we could have won based om the fact that we had the better chances, shots on goal, Possession and played somw good football.

Corsica sat deep most times defending their early lead.

And mehn... that Iheanacho's penalty was beautifully taken.... sent the keeper the wrong way. That lad looks like a player who will hardly miss from the spot against any goalkeeper.....

Next up is Togo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:07pm On May 26, 2017
The Gospel of the Nigeria-Corsica friendly according to Complete Sports Nigeria......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iheanacho Rescues Super Eagles From Corsica Defeat ; Odey , Onyekuru Debut
By James Agberebi

A dominant Super Eagles forced a Corsica XI to a 1-1 draw in a friendly game played inside the Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio on Friday.

Corsica took an early lead through Jean-Jacques Mandrichi from the penalty spot before Kelechi Iheanacho also converted from the penalty spot late in the game.

Tyronne Ebuehi, Chidozie Awaziem, Mikel Agu, Ibrahim Alhassan and Arsenal target Henry Onyekuru all made their unofficial debuts for the Super Eagles having been included in the starting 11.

MFM’s Stephen Odey, top scorer in the Nigeria Professional Football League with 14 goals halfway through the season, and Sikiru Olatunbosun also made their bows for the Eagles after coming on in the second half.

The friendly is part of the Eagles’ preparation towards their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa in Uyo in June 10.

Corsica got off to a perfect start after Jean-Jacques Mandrichi converted a penalty in the fifth minute after Ebuehi was penalised for handling the ball inside the box.

The Eagles almost drew level in the eighth minute through Onyekuru but he could not finish off Ahmed Musa’s pass despite going one on one with the Corsica keeper.

In the 24th minute the Eagles went close again but Akwa United star Alhassan headed over the bar from close range after a brilliant cross from Echiejile.

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half, Musa failed to score from close range after the Corsica keeper spilled Alhassan’s initial effort.

The Eagles continued from where they stopped in the first as they went in search of the equaliser by dominating possession in the early part of the second half but Corsica held firm.

In the 58th minute Odey was brought on for Alhassan and made an immediate impact on 60 minutes as he forced a save off Corsica keeper Nicolas Penneteau.

The Eagles made another change as Olatunbosun replaced Musa in the 62nd minute.

Penneteau was called into action again on 65 minutes after denying Iheanacho after build-up play from Oghenekaro Etebo and Olatunbosun.

In the 68th minute, the Eagles made another substitution with Shehu Abdullahi replacing Ebuehi.

Iheanacho eventually made it 1-1 in the 80th minute from the penalty spot following a foul on Etebo inside the box.

The Eagles next friendly game is against Togo on Thursday, June 1, in Paris.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-rescues-super-eagles-corsica-defeat-odey-onyekuru-debut/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:20pm On May 26, 2017
To further elucidate Sir Danycrusoe's reports on the Nacho to West ham deal news.... here is what I found....

>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<

CandH exclusive: Iheanacho update
Posted by Hugh5outhon1895
Exclusive by Hugh Southon

Manchester City are playing serious hardball with West Ham as they bid to bring Kelechi Iheanacho to the London Stadium this summer.

Reports arose on Sky Sports that the player will undergo a medical to finalise the transfer after City accepted a £24 million bid from the club.

But a senior source at the LS admitted to ClaretandHugh this evening that City are refusing to even give us price for the striker at this stage.

Iheanacho came through the City youth programme, but his playing time was limited during the 2016/17 season with Pep Guardiola preferring Brazil striker Gabriel Jesus.

Last season, the Nigeria youngster flourished under Manuel Pellegrini in his breakthrough campaign and he was duly rewarded with a contract extension.

Discussing the Sky Sports report we were told: “No deal has been done. It’s not true but we do like the player and we are trying to buy him but we can’t even get a price.”

Source: http://www.claretandhugh.info/candh-exclusive-iheanacho-update/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 11:30pm On May 26, 2017
Closing on 2 our millennium page

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 26, 2017
Nice game in my own opinion, New debutants only had to hold their nerves down.
mehnn I don't want to be in Rohr's shoes o large pool of talented players to make choices.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:44pm On May 26, 2017
Lol.. Good say the matter Na "they" matter. No strong suitor yet. For now I'm canvassing for my own candidate at least for given us hope of watching the Corsica match -- xlad over to you.

TheSuperNerd:

Sir Joebie.... I told you they would show up..... grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:47pm On May 26, 2017
Na glasses, binoculars or periscope u like use? U should be begging me because I be her PA o.. So take ur time. Plus no let me call TheSuperNerd to scatter u case. Lol

do4luv14:
JOEBIE! JOEBIE!! JOEBIE!!!......
how many times ah call you ,
hmmmm... Ma take one eye dey look you first
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:55pm On May 26, 2017
Joebie:
Na glasses, binoculars or periscope u like use? U should be begging me because I be her PA o.. So take ur time. Plus no let me call TheSuperNerd to scatter u case. Lol

hmmm oga PA, nah you dey take oo shuuu?
firstguy dey look you, you dey talk ehn,
you wan collect marching order no?? cool cool grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:10am On May 27, 2017
Chai! West Home got that siggy? no European shoe for this talent underrated by a fresh headed Spaniard? Pls where is the God of Pellegrini?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:19am On May 27, 2017
Ehen ok Na. Her next dp go be me much to ur surprise
do4luv14:

hmmm oga PA, nah you dey take oo shuuu?
firstguy dey look you, you dey talk ehn,
you wan collect marching order no?? cool cool grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:27am On May 27, 2017
Joebie:
Ehen ok Na. Her next dp go be me much to ur surprise

abeg ah don go sleep joor grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.