Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,695 members, 7,837,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (987) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11795011 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) ... (16203) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:28pm On May 27, 2017
Onyekuru impressed despite his missed chance(s).

All the Super Eagles forward men missed chances.... Sir Tbaba1234's link to the highlights showed Nigeria's chances upon chances being missed or stopped by the stubborn Corsican goalie.

Anyway shaa.... me no know for that writer ooo.... but Onyekuru impressed despite the small stage fright he may have suffered.

Na Musa's miss vex me pass.... angry But Musa did make some good impression also shaa

terzurum5:

It is evident the person that produced these ratings "has a thing against Henry Onyekuru"

How can you say somebody disappointed on his debut just because he did not score

Was he the only Super Eagles player that failed to score

Waiting for the full match tape.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:30pm On May 27, 2017
Nna Chief Icon4s.... e be like say una 3-4-3 make sense pass Chelsea own oooo.... shocked

Abeg A heart congrats biko.... and Alex Iwobi... welcome to the league of Nigerian stars who have lifted the FA Cup wink

Icon4s:

Haha haha! Thanks man.

As if you knew say na barbeque fish with palm wine I take watch the match.

Pheeww. At least I go fit look Chelsea fans for face in the office on Tuesday.

I have not seen Arsenal dominate Chelsea like this for many years. My son even said "Daddy it could have been like 7-1!". Which I totally agree.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:33pm On May 27, 2017
tbaba1234:
Highlights of the Nigeria-Corsica game

Lots of missed chances.. The Corsica penalty was not a penalty.. More like ball to hand..

http://www.facebook.com/france3corseviastella/videos/vb.419196401475825/1501976733197781/?type=2&theater

That Corsica goalie really saved them o.

But I like the fact that we created plenty of chances and had several shots on target.

From the highlights I saw we had a good game. Remember Corsica were even at home.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39pm On May 27, 2017
Abeg Abeg abeg.... angry Make Moses no try this one for our WCQs abeg....

The FA cup was still won by one of our own... Alex Iwobi... it could have been any if them... Moses or Alex... but it had to be Arsenal...

So I am happy for Iwobi... his first major trophy with Arsenal. Really cool.

As for Moses.... he should please drop this diving act.... he is no Michael Phelps.

Chrismario:
Moses was lucky against spurs grin,,, dats y he tried again tongue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 9:40pm On May 27, 2017
The penalty awarded against the Super Eagles was a bogus one. The Nigerian defender clearly had his right arm so close to his torso angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:42pm On May 27, 2017
That Orji lad is growing in huge leaps.... pray he keeps it up.

Sadiq Umar is at same club and not getting a look in.... sad.

adegwurulez:
Orji okwonkwo played 90minutes in Bologna's 1-2 loss to juventus. He bagged an assist in the 52nd minute
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:42pm On May 27, 2017
Chrismario:
he was just silly
had he passed the ball Chelsea would have scored or better still he try a shot on goal..
he ruin my passion these evening
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:46pm On May 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Nna Chief Icon4s.... e be like say una 3-4-3 make sense pass Chelsea own oooo.... shocked

Abeg A heart congrats biko.... and Alex Iwobi... welcome to the league of Nigerian stars who have lifted the FA Cup wink

Thanks bro.

The beauty of this 3-4-3 is it gives you a very robost midfield. You could have up to 6 midfielders when you are chasing the ball leaving little room for your opponent to make that final pass. This is the same formation with which he beat Mancity in FA Cup and Man United in the EPL.

However we saw the demerit today as Chelsea had to switch-over to 4 defenders when Moses was red-carded and Arsenal found plenty of space to operate. Ramsey, Chamberlain, Alexis, and Ozil were just dancing Azonto upandan for Chelsea midfield and edge of their box.

I think the board will likely keep Wenger especially considering his most recent results and tactics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Thanks bro.

The beauty of this 3-4-3 is it gives you a very robost midfield. You could have up to 6 midfielders when you are chasing the ball leaving little room for your opponent to make that final pass. This is the same formation with which he beat Mancity in FA Cup and Man United in the EPL.

However we saw the demerit today as Chelsea had to switch-over to 4 defenders when Moses was red-carded and Arsenal found plenty of space to operate. Ramsey, Chamberlain, Alexis, and Ozil were just dancing Azonto upandan for Chelsea midfield and edge of their box.

I think the board will likely keep Wenger especially considering his most recent results and tactics.

Wat of dat wide mouth Piers Morgan? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:26pm On May 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Abeg Abeg abeg.... angry Make Moses no try this one for our WCQs abeg....

The FA cup was still won by one of our own... Alex Iwobi... it could have been any if them... Moses or Alex... but it had to be Arsenal...

So I am happy for Iwobi... his first major trophy with Arsenal. Really cool.

As for Moses.... he should please drop this diving act.... he is no Michael Phelps.

from the way the game was played and from comments, it seems the match was fixed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:28pm On May 27, 2017
Humility017:

he was just silly
had he passed the ball Chelsea would have scored or better still he try a shot on goal..
he ruin my passion these evening

watch the match again cos from what am hearing, arsenal cnt dominate Chelsea like that, and am even hearing it was a fixed game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On May 27, 2017
That guy holds no real power within Arsenal.... he is just an influential top figure most gunners fans look up to....

I know he wants Wenger out but he should take a chill pill, Go eat his words and accept that Wenger has really shown he can make Arsenal a true force next season...

Chrismario:

Wat of dat wide mouth Piers Morgan? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:39pm On May 27, 2017
Wow! why would Chelsea pass up the chance for a double?

undecided

do4luv14:

from the way the game was played and from comments, it seems the match was fixed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:42pm On May 27, 2017
True... very true.... We saw some of the merits and demerits of the 3-4-3 on display today...

Since Arsenal switched to this formation... they have become so hot to handle and hard to beat... next season will be interesting.... Really hope Iwobi can get his chance in this system since Wenger will still be in charge next season.....

Icon4s:

Thanks bro.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:51pm On May 27, 2017
Arsenal Winger Iwobi, Chelsea Starlet Aina Confirmed To Be Heading To Paris

Young Chelsea defender Ola Aina is in line to train with the Super Eagles at the training camp in Paris as from early next week.

The former England U19 skipper and his family friend Alex Iwobi will join the national team at Hyatt Regency, Paris latest Monday, a top source close to both players has informed this website.

''Ola Aina and Alex Iwobi will soon join the Super Eagles. Latest Monday, both of them will likely be at the camp, '' he told allnigeriasoccer.com .

The two players were permitted to report for international duty late because of their teams' involvement in Saturday's Emirates FA Cup final.

Iwobi was an unused substitute while Ola Aina was omitted from Chelsea's 18-man squad.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23202

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:38pm On May 27, 2017
Chrismario:

The only thing I blame him for was doing it on a yellow, apart from that i see no big deal in diving.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:05am On May 28, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The only thing I blame him for was doing it on a yellow, apart from that i see no big deal in diving.

Diving is cheating.. If there was contact, it is different. There is a reason why it is a straight card.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:05am On May 28, 2017
New West Ham player

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:21am On May 28, 2017
Chelsea fans already calling for Victor Moses to be sold!!

What a bunch of ungrateful asses

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:35am On May 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

Diving is cheating.. If there was contact, it is different. There is a reason why it is a straight card.

Diving is cheating but so was the hand of god. If we don't get over this holier than thou attitude we have inherited from the British we will never win a world cup.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:39am On May 28, 2017
Thibaut Courtois defends Victor Moses after dive and red card in FA Cup final

Thibaut Courtois insists Victor Moses does not need to apologise for his dive and subsequent red card in Chelsea’s FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal.

Antonio Conte’s side have been denied the domestic double after Arsene Wenger’s side secured a 2-1 victory at Wembley.

Alexis Sanchez breaks silence on Arsenal future after beating Chelsea in FA Cup final»

Alexis Sanchez had put Arsenal in front, although the Chilean appeared to be fortunate to get away with a handball in the build up.

Chelsea started the second half strongly but their momentum was halted when Moses was given a second yellow card for going to ground under minimal contact from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Diego Costa pulled Chelsea level but Aaron Ramsey quickly fired Arsenal back into the lead to secure the trophy for the Gunners.

‘We are obviously disappointed but I want to say congratulations to Arsenal. They played a good game,’ Courtois told BBC Sport.

‘The first goal should never have been allowed – it was clearly a handball and then Ramsey was offside because he he was interfering in play.
‘After that goal, we tried to play but they deserved it.

‘Then we went down to 10 men and the red card was correct. Victor Moses doesn’t need to apologise.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/27/thibaut-courtois-defends-victor-moses-after-dive-and-red-card-in-fa-cup-final-6667017/#ixzz4iMCGeeC0

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:44am On May 28, 2017
Danielnino00:
Chelsea fans already calling for Victor Moses to be sold!!

What a bunch of ungrateful asses

U know this is the nature of sports these days. Today the love u tomorrow they don't. The sad part is that this is his very last match of the season leaving no chance at redemption.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:00am On May 28, 2017
jotey:
just watched u-20 world cup England vs Korea highlights and I must say those Anglo Nigerians are damn good

I only know of Ademola lookman. Who else??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:02am On May 28, 2017
Wenger To Decide Arsenal Future Next Week, Conte Defends Moses

 27 May 2017
 News

Arsene Wenger has reiterated that his future at Arsenal will be decided next week after he led the club to a record 13th FA Cup final win on Saturday.

The Frenchman’s contract at the club expires this summer and an agreement is yet to be reached over a new deal amid calls by a section of the support for him to leave.

Wenger who won his seventh English FA Cup on Saturday by defeating Chelsea 2-1 praised his players for their brilliant performance against the new English Premier League champions.

“We have a board meeting on Tuesday. And on Wednesday or Thursday it will be clearer,” he said after his side’s win.

“We had an outstanding performance from the first minute onwards. This team has suffered. They’ve united and responded.

“I said last week this team will be in the championship race with one or two good buys. They showed strength and unity and played spectacular football today.

“I’m proud to have won seven of these cups. I’m proud having done this – winning the championship without losing and winning seven FA Cups.”

Meanwhile, Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has revealed that his side were stunned by the outstanding performance of Arsenal in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to the Gunners.

Conte admitted during his post-match interview shortly after the game that the sending off of Victor Moses during the game was decisive.

The Nigerian international was issued a second yellow card for simulation in the 68th minute.

The former Italy and Juventus coach however praised Moses for his performance this season.

“I think the first goal was very strange. The first half we didn’t start well, we didn’t have the right approach and we suffered in first 25 minutes,” Conte said.

“We started to play better in the second half and the red card was decisive.

“I didn’t see the incident on the TV and it was difficult to understand.

“The first goal, the player had his hands attached to the ball with two hands. Offside or not is not important.

“Arsenal started very well with great determination. They surprised us a bit but I repeat our first 25 minutes weren’t good.

“At our best moment, the referee decided to give the red card.

“There is dissapointment for the final result but it can happen and there was a lot of pressure. Victor Moses has been good and played an important season.

“Our season was incredible to win the league in this way, it was great but now its important to look forward and to restart.”

Read more at https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/wenger-decide-arsenal-future-next-week-conte-defends-moses/#JD6fTmC4IFP5t78z.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 1:05am On May 28, 2017
Oshoala earns N7 million/month in China shocked
I now see why she moved there grin. Who no like better thing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 2:31am On May 28, 2017
do4luv14:

watch the match again cos from what am hearing, arsenal cnt dominate Chelsea like that, and am even hearing it was a fixed game
"It was fixed"
"Chelsea weren't up for it"
"The players were obviously in holiday mood"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2017
I love the fact that Conte and Courtois spoke out in Moses' defence.... other players like Ronaldo, Neymar and co have also dived and they are still respected today...

Even Drogba was a diver too back then.... so why does anyone wanna make Moses' own very special. The section of Chelsea fans calling for Moses' head are bunch of spineless ingrates.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:00am On May 28, 2017
Awaziem to Liverpool or Villarreal? I have heard of Liverpool's silent and cool interests for a while now.... well time will tell

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool, Villarreal Scout Watched Porto Awaziem Dazzling Debut For Nigeria Against Corsica

The rumours surrounding Liverpool’s interest in Nigerian defender Chidozie Awaziem gathered steam two days back during the Super Eagles friendly game against Corsica.

Awaziem was handed his senior national team debut by coach Gernot Rohr in the 1-1 draw against the French Island, and the 20 year old responded with a strong performance which saw him last the entire duration of the game.

Playing alongside William Troost-Ekong in central defence, the FC Porto defender was watched by Liverpool who have been keeping tabs on him after spotting him in a game for FC Porto B.

However they face competition for his possible signing with Spanish La-Liga side Villarreal also cited in the stands during the Super Eagles game against Corsica.

FC Porto inserted a buyout clause of €20m when the tough tackling defender signed fresh terms with the club two seasons ago after his breakthrough at the Portuguese side. A fee which Porto insist must be met by interested parties before a move away will be entertained.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/28/liverpool-villarreal-scout-watched-porto-awaziem-dazzling-debut-for-nigeria-against-corsica/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:10am On May 28, 2017
I was on Facebook and saw comments by some French guys who saw the game and a few of them singled out MuAZam (the no.15) especially..... I always knew the lad oozes class so easily.... said so months ago on the NPFL thread revealing the best young players in the league. Chaaiiiii... he will be too good for the CHAN loooollll.... but he is already one outfield player from the league that can feature in this young main Super Eagles side regularly.... Alhassan Ibrahim Abdullahi aka MuaZam.... don't forget the name people.... wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

French Journalist List “Mu’azam “, Etebo & Awaziem As Top Men Against Corsica

France based journalists Mitchel Paul has listed the top players for Nigeria in their 1-1 draw against Corsica in Friday’s friendly clash at Ajaccio.

Iheanacho scored a late penalty to help Nigeria maintain their unbeaten run under coach Gernot Rohr, but Mitchell who watched the game and Eagles build up to the clash said Oghenekaro Etebo deserves the Man of the Match tag.

” A very young Nigerian team I must say. I stand corrected, I think this is the youngest African national team since the Ghana squad of 2010. That said it was a good game”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Oghenekaro Etebo to me was the best player on parade for Nigeria. Simply unplayable on the night. I wonder why he is still in that modest team in Portugal, he has way too much class to be in a small team with all due respect.

” The young defender, not the guy (William Troost-Ekong) playing in Belgium , the FC Porto lad (Chidozie Awaziem) did very well, very calm on the ball and his ball out of the back are nicely hit to the men upfront. I like him a lot.

” There’s this lanky guy who played behind Iheanacho in the first half Alhassan Ibrahim (Mu’azam) boy has a wonderful first touch, and highly unpredictable with the ball at his feet.

” He plays like Kanu but he’s a bit quicker especially in releasing the ball to the front men. He loves to be on the ball as well. I heard he plays in the Nigeria League, he will move abroad soon”.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/28/french-journalist-list-muazam-etebo-awaziem-as-top-men-against-corsica/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:25am On May 28, 2017
‘FEELS GREAT TO END THE SEASON ON A HIGH’ – IWOBI REVELS IN ARSENAL’S FA CUP GLORY
By Shina Oludare

The Gunners appeared to be ending the season without a trophy, but they finished in glorious fashion against the Blues

Alex Iwobi has lauded Arsenal’s FA Cup title win and described the fans as "unbelievable" after defeating Chelsea 2-1 at Wembley to end the season on a high.

The Nigerian was an unused substitute as Arsene Wenger ended the Blues’ ambition of winning a double – in a game that saw Victor Moses getting sent off.

The victory marked an incredible turnaround in fortunes for Arsenal, who finished fifth in the English Premier League – which ruled them out of next season’s Champions League.
And Iwobi barely managed to contain his jubilation on social media.

‘’Feels great to end the season on a high. Our fans were unbelievable today. Back to north London with the FA Cup,’’ he tweeted.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/05/28/35900162/feels-great-to-end-the-season-on-a-high-iwobi-revels-in-arsenals-

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:58am On May 28, 2017
I am almost to the point were i won't read Nigerians twitter feed again during matches. None of the sitters that they claimed the players missed were actually sitters. The penalty was clearly not one but yet nobody put that out there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:10am On May 28, 2017
junnyjake:

I only know of Ademola lookman. Who else??
solanke...onomah..ejaria..ojo...tomori

(1) (2) (3) ... (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) (990) ... (16203) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, CaptainStephen(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.