Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11593510 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:14pm On Dec 18, 2017
Loogan:
Watch out for Josh Maja, this is one player who dosent get so much hype in England but he's a good prospect, scored a brace in preseason before he got injured which gave a chance to Lewis grabban who is not it altall, else he would have been Sunderlands top man. he's back from injury scored a good goal last match. Most importantly he has the physicality to mix it with the big boys despite his small frame, he's ours no battle with England, one of those players who's gonna be a big shot in a few years. He's a Defoe esque kinda player very strong to.
good to know rohr rates him highly...
especially after the last camp in the UK...

I expect him to break into the super eagles squad soon...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2017
forgiveness:

Stop lying. grin
You're obviously the one lying or you're ignorant about it.
You haven't answered my question. Is he a starter yes or no?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 9:29pm On Dec 18, 2017
kennysville:

Mind you I am not saying ogu is bad. but having him and Mikel will hamper our midfield. If both of them play our midfield will be over run. check the first half of our argues match. It was the fighting ndidi that gave us the second half with his interceptions. look at man city Tottenham match that second goal by debryne ohhh see the amazing speed at which they counter Tottenham. speed matter a lot bro in today's modern game

Una still dey this "Ogu is too slow" matter? There is nothing dem dey take speed do. If you are decent enough, you will perform. Etebo bawo? Abi is it not the same Etebo climbing on someone's back like small pikin wey him mama wan abandon in the match against Algeria?

Lemme say it for all who care to listen and for the umpteenth time! Etebor has no business in our midfield. I can understand as a SS or maybe winger. Anything short of that ,na bench abegi !!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 9:32pm On Dec 18, 2017
[quote author=fabyom post=63405095][/quote]speed matter a lot bro in today's modern game. I can give multiple of examples of that. you just can have two slow midfielders with only one been technical.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 18, 2017
If Uzoho was in the post against Argentina in the last world cup edition, I don't think Messi would have fared well against him like he performed against Enyeama. If you watch Messi's first goal in that game, he played the ball up to the roof of the net, why? because he knew fully well that Enyeama's short height wouldn't allow him to do well against up balls, and before Messi played the ball, Enyeama was looking to dive along the ground where he thrives, but Messi did not play to his expectations and strength.

Another player who understood and worked with this Enyeama's weakness was Diego Forlan of Uruguay. I remember how he scored the winning gaol against Enyeama in the Confederations cup. He played the same way Messi played his, by playing it straight to the roof of the net, and that might been how Messi discovered that the short Enyeama can't cope very well with such kind of shots.

Messi's second goal can also be attributed to same weakness. The short Enyeama couldn't see the freekick on time due to his shortness and it caused him a late reaction.

Yes, he may have made some great savings, but those goals he conceded wouldn't have been conceded by a tall Uzoho in goal. And it will unwise to start Enyeama against Argentina again (if he returns) with same Messi and other players who may have taken note of his weaknesses from that previous match.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
Icon79:
Nne, you made a good point that these days strikers (goal scorers) are favored in winning those awards. The keyword being "winning". And some clown came out of nowhere to argue that Kante came 8th!

I mean, how's that relevant to the point you made (or were tryna make)

O pari o for NL

hanhan. these days? haba na. you've been watching football for too long to say the bolded. wasnt johann cruyff, gerd muller, jean papin, ruud gullit, marco van basten, baggio, romario, stoichkov, george weah,ronaldo de lima, rivaldo, zidane, shevchenko etc all goal scorers? or roger milla, weah, ikpeba, rashidi, eabedi pele, rabar madjer, kalusha bwalya scoresrs of plenty goals? bros no fall hand abeg. the overwhelming majority of players who win these awards are goalscorers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:38pm On Dec 18, 2017
You mean a 14 year old Uzoho?

blueto:
If Uzoho was in the post against Argentina in the last world cup edition, I don't think Messi would have fared well against him like he performed against Enyeama. If you watch Messi's first goal in that game, he played the ball up to the roof of the net, why? because he knew fully well that Enyeama's short height wouldn't allow him to do well against up balls, and before Messi played the ball, Enyeama was looking to dive along the ground where he thrives, but Messi did not play to his expectations and strength.

Another player who understood and worked with this Enyeama's weakness was Diego Forlan of Uruguay. I remember how he scored the winning gaol against Enyeama in the Confederations cup. He played the same way Messi played his, by playing it straight to the roof of the net, and that might been how Messi discovered that the short Enyeama can't cope very well with such kind of shots.

Messi's second goal can also be attributed to same weakness. The short Enyeama couldn't see the freekick on time due to his shortness and it caused him a late reaction.

Yes, he may have made some great savings, but those goals he conceded wouldn't have been conceded by a tall Uzoho in goal. And it will unwise to start Enyeama against Argentina again (if he returns) with same Messi and other players who may have taken note of his weaknesses from that previous match.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:39pm On Dec 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
You're obviously the one lying or you're ignorant about it.

You haven't answered my question. Is he a starter yes or no?

MetalJigsaw:
Nope, he doesn't always play. And when he plays, its a stoppage time introduction.

You dey lie ooooo. grin

He doesn't get to play and if he plays, it's a stoppage time introduction don turn to, he is not a starter. grin

You can lie. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
Always knew Vic Moses wouldn't make the final 3. I remember I told someone to bookmark my comment. Salah, Aubamayeng, Mane and Naby Keita simply had better individual seasons than he did. I'm a bit surprised Naby Keita didn't make the final 3. Dude made Bundesliga team of the year. Regardless Aubamayeng was also great last season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:

Normally German coaches tend to like big goalies. One of the reasons Berti Vogts was kind of obsessed with Austin Ejide back then.
If Uzoho gets a decent run of games from now till june, he'll most likely be first choice in Russia if Enyeama does not come back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:46pm On Dec 18, 2017
fabyom:
sarcastic safarigirl lol. Uzoho will be in goal for us at the world cup. If you can't live with that that's your probs. Moses not listed for APOY 2017 is the greatest tragedy for Africa football this year. He single handedly defeated Algeria and Cameroon

You are even going in the line of VicMo the entire nomination is flawed. Hugo broos won the AFCON but he's not among the nominee of Coach of the year but Cameroon national team was nominated.
In all honesty, Salah shouldn't make the cut as the award is what the players have achieved in the 2016/2017 calendar year and not based on current season.
Well whatever statistics is been used then we should have the criterion for such nominees
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2017
fabyom:
Awaziem pass to kelechi and musa for both iwobi goals were sublime. I have the match on my phone I watch it everyday. Mind you ogu is too slow. Mikel obi and ogu must never play together for Nigeria. Rohr should try etebo, ndidi and Mikel that's our best bet. Etebo was king against Algeria in the first leg.
I agree. It would be suicide to play Mikel and Ogu as our CMs. Ogu can play alongside Ndidi or Onazi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:

I wholehearted disagree. Enyeama just saved a similar freekick in that same game, few minutes before the goal. The only mistake Enyeama made was positioning because he anticipated a change in Messi's freekick.

Height is not the most important attribute in Goalkeeping and goalkeepers will always concede goals.

Uzoho is a greenhorn still learning his craft. He is not even close to Enyeama's level. Let us not make the mistake ofputting him on a pedestal when he has achieved nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2017
fabyom:
speed matter a lot bro in today's modern game. I can give multiple of examples of that. you just can have two slow midfielders with only one been technical.
the slow Ogu has been doing very well. He performed very well in the games that he has featured so far in the WCQ against Algeria and friendlies against Senegal and Argentina (which another “slow” player played). So what is this nitpicking about? We saw how his pinpoint and incisive pass caused Mascherano to trip Iwobi which resulted to the first goal for Nigeria against Argentina and not to talk of his beautiful goal against Algeria. Abeg make una leave this guy. If he keeps performing well with his “slowness” then I don't see why he should not be starting games.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2017
kennysville:

Una still dey this "Ogu is too slow" matter? There is nothing dem dey take speed do. If you are decent enough, you will perform. Etebo bawo? Abi is it not the same Etebo climbing on someone's back like small pikin wey him mama wan abandon in the match against Algeria?

Lemme say it for all who care to listen and for the umpteenth time! Etebor has no business in our midfield. I can understand as a SS or maybe winger. Anything short of that ,na bench abegi !!!
does etebo even strike you as a winger? his own versatility has led to ineffectiveness.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

I wholehearted disagree. Enyeama just saved a similar freekick in that same game, few minutes before the goal. The only mistake Enyeama made was positioning because he anticipated a change in Messi's freekick.

Height is not the most important attribute in Goalkeeping and goalkeepers will always concede goals.

Uzoho is a greenhorn still learning his craft. He is not even close to Enyeama's level. Let us not make the mistake ofputting him on a pedestal when he has achieved nothing.
as if buffon and nueur have never conceded from freekicks. so if uzoho is put there now and he conceded from a low driven freekick we will now say what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:00pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:
the slow Ogu has been doing very well. He performed very well in the games that he has featured so far in the WCQ against Algeria and friendlies against Senegal and Argentina (which another “slow” player played). So what is this nitpicking about? We saw how his pinpoint and incisive pass caused Mascherano to trip Iwobi which resulted to the first goal for Nigeria against Argentina and not to talk of his beautiful goal against Algeria. Abeg make una leave this guy. If he keeps performing well with his “slowness” then I don't see why he should not be starting games.
it was mikel that delivered the pass to iwobi not ogu

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
@blueto that's in Africa. Against Europeans and south American teams it will be very difficult. No be so @edi287.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

He saved the first one because it the wall jumped, and that might have given him the clue that the ball to was coming from that direction so he didn't hesitate to dive towards that way. But at Messi's second attempt, the wall did not jump or did not jump on time, so as a result he might have thought otherwise since he couldn't see the ball for himself due to his shortness.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2017
@nelszx yes the system is so flawed. Maybe they don't want us cart away both prizes (male and female). Just like in the music industries. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

it was mikel that delivered the pass to iwobi not ogu
Ogu passed the ball to iwobi, and it was in the process of Iwobi passing the ball to Mikel that Mascherano made an attempt to trip him, but Iwobi was quick enough to complete the pass before going to the ground.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

as if buffon and nueur have never conceded from freekicks. so if uzoho is put there now and he conceded from a low driven freekick we will now say what?
My point was that he wouldn't have conceded some of kind of goals that Enyeama conceded in the world cup, although he may not have saved the kind of balls that Enyeama saved. And I'm not saying that he is already better than enyeama, he may still need to prove that in subsequent matches.

The other point I made also was that it will not be a very good idea to start Enyeama against the same Messi led Argentine team in the world who appears to be well apprised of his weakness(es).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:29pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:
My point was that he wouldn't have conceded some of kind of goals that Enyeama conceded in the world cup, although he may not have saved the kind of balls that Enyeama saved. And I'm not saying that he is already better than enyeama, he may still need to prove that in subsequent matches.

The other point I made also was that it will not be a very good idea to start Enyeama against the same Messi led Argentine team in the world who appears to be well apprised of his weakness(es).

Boss, u don't analyse games like dis, as if u are analyzing PES/FIFA 18,just trying to make a point out of no point,am not trying to compare d two gk.

Dis is a real life situation, it could b here or dere,uzoho too could av started games in world cup and b jittery,bin his first competitive football at d world stage and also fumbles by conceding cheap goals and we all come back to realize enyeama's importance, and vice versa

All I knw is dis,NO matter aw logical u want to sound,A rejuvenated veteran ENYEAMA is far better Dan UZOHO IN d goalpost.no argument about it,its so clear and simple grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2017
Actually, Zidane didn't score a lot of goal. He was just your old fashioned playmaker. As a matter of fact, goal scoring only came to become all in all in this day of Cristiano Ronaldo because that's the only way they could possibly justify giving him the awards ahead of Messi.

O pari

Mujtahida:

hanhan. these days? haba na. you've been watching football for too long to say the bolded. wasnt johann cruyff, gerd muller, jean papin, ruud gullit, marco van basten, baggio, romario, stoichkov, george weah,ronaldo de lima, rivaldo, zidane, shevchenko etc all goal scorers? or roger milla, weah, ikpeba, rashidi, eabedi pele, rabar madjer, kalusha bwalya scoresrs of plenty goals? bros no fall hand abeg. the overwhelming majority of players who win these awards are goalscorers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:
He saved the first one because it the wall jumped, and that might have given him the clue that the ball to was coming from that direction so he didn't hesitate to dive towards that way. But at Messi's second attempt, the wall did not jump or did not jump on time, so as a result he might have thought otherwise since he couldn't see the ball for himself due to his shortness.

Nope, it was poor positioning not height

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 10:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
Icon4s:

It is just a factor. Not the only factor.

Moses not playing in this year' s AFCON is a major negative for him.

You cannot be an African footballer of the year when you didn't take part in the AFCON while the other strong tenders did.

But none of the players from Cameroon made the cut of the top 3.

I still find the inclusion of Aubameyeng questionable ..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:56pm On Dec 18, 2017
Guys, I think we should start asking questions about our National Team GK trainer (Alloy Agu)

Akpeyi shouldn't have been making the same mistakes over and over. Same goes for Ezenwa. Could it be that they have a very bad teacher whose ideas and tactics are outdated

To start with, does he have a Uefa license or coaching license of any sort? Or was he given the Job because he used to pay for the SE.

So what do you think guys?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:19pm On Dec 18, 2017
Tammy Abraham is looking very very poor.. We might have missed a bullet there.. or maybe Swansea are just bad.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
Tammy Abraham is looking very very poor.. We might have missed a bullet there.. or many Swansea are just bad.
I have always been surprised how much people here over rated this guy. When I argued against the hype, some thought I was just anti foreign born. Thank goodness a fresh pair of eyes have come to terms with what I've been saying.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I personally think it is a disgrace that those clowns at CAF should be ashamed of.

It would have been daylight robbery if Moses was announced as the APOTY. I can say this before any Oracle.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 11:38pm On Dec 18, 2017
That 2nd goal from sigurdson was top notch. I hope whoever that Will keep for Nigeria against Iceland should be aware of what that guy can do from outside the 18 yard box.

That guy is also a dangerous free kick taker. I think he was the best free kick taker in the epl last season. I don't know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
goldfish80:

It would have been daylight robbery if Moses was announced as the APOTY. I can say this before any Oracle.

LOL saying it in front of an oracle adds nothing. Salah has been on fire lately but Moses should have been on the shortlist.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: johnjunior39(m), GeneralDae and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.