Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,041 members, 7,810,853 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team (9245 Views)

Break Down Of 4-bedroom Flat Costing #2,300,000 @ibadan / Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! / Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 9:25pm On Apr 11, 2016
jossy26:
These guys are too theoretical, you need to be lecturing bro

baba abeq park one side..... go romance section abeq babes dey wait u dere. don't derail this thread & don't try anything funny here

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 9:30pm On Apr 11, 2016
podosci:
For the foundation We decided to use a 225 x 500mm reinforced concrete beam instead of the traditional strip foundation. We decided to use the RC beam due to its high resistant to differential settlement which usually occurs over a long period of time, there by eliminating the occurrence of cracks on the fence.
-We used 2Y12 Top and 2Y12 bottom, with y8 links spaced at 300mm
-A 2ft deep foundation was selected
-Due to the sloppy nature of part off the site, A foundation step of 225mm was prescribed
Sancrete Block 9 inches hollow sancrete Block was prescribed for the block work

2y12 -01

could you also please tell the meaning of "01" there?
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:55pm On Apr 11, 2016
Miscellaneous:

2y12 -01

01 is the mark number of the reinforcement.

2Y12 - 01 means 2 number of 12mm high yield bar with Mark number of 01

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 8:33am On Apr 12, 2016
Miscellaneous:

2y12 -01

Like Abdulwastecx explain, they represent bar marks but to elaborate further...
During the design of reinfroced concrete, The result are provision of reinforcements of different diameters.. The we proceed to the detailing which involves the drawing of the reinforcement, they are drawn to show how they would be placed in the the concrete(before casting) by the builder..... During the process we discover several reinfrocements with thesame diameter and the same length... So to make it easier, we give bars with the same length and diameter a mark (01,02,03,04) which we denote as bar mark
The bar mark makes placing of the reinfrocement easier and reduces wastages... It also makes it possible to cut all your bars in the workshop into different length depending on the bar mark and bring it to site for just placing....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by olawale100: 8:51am On Apr 12, 2016
Thanks for the detailed explanation

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 11:44am On Apr 12, 2016
9inch sancrete blocks sells between 110-130naira
6inch sancrete blocks sells between 90-110naira
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 11:58am On Apr 12, 2016
CEMENT FOR MOTAR JOINT
To estimate this, you need to understand the blocks.... We commonly have 6inch and 9inch blocks, hollow and solid..
For placement of motar, we describe the parts of the block where the motar is to be placed as (PERPEND AND BED)
Perpend... The Vertical side of the motar between two blocks
Bed... The horizontal side of a block for placemenr of motar
MOTAR
This is a mixture of fine aggregrate and cement in a specific ratio, The ratio specified for block work is 1 (cement) :6 (fine aggregrate)
The motar is to be 20mm thick on both the perpend and the bed of the block

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 8:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
podosci:

During the design of reinfroced concrete, The result are provision of reinforcements of different diameters.. The we proceed to the detailing which involves the drawing of the reinforcement, they are drawn to show how they would be placed in the the concrete(before casting) by the builder..... During the process we discover several reinfrocements with thesame diameter and the same length... So to make it easier, we give bars with the same length and diameter a mark (01,02,03,04) which we denote as bar mark
The bar mark makes placing of the reinfrocement easier and reduces wastages... It also makes it possible to cut all your bars in the workshop into different length depending on the bar mark and bring it to site for just placing....
abdulwastecx:

01 is the mark number of the reinforcement.
2Y12 - 01 means 2 number of 12mm high yield bar with Mark number of 01
podosci:

I have sincerely found this duo to be the best in this section. The way you guys take your time to answer everyone's shows your commitment to your job. I'm really happy....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 13, 2016
podosci:
9inch sancrete blocks sells between 110-130naira
6inch sancrete blocks sells between 90-110naira

Depends on location, In Benin 9inches is 190 naira, 6inches is 160 naira while in Warri 9inches is 160naira and 6inches is 130naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 9:49pm On Apr 13, 2016
segzy14:

Depends on location, In Benin 9inches is 190 naira, 6inches is 160 naira while in Warri 9inches is 160naira and 6inches is 130naira.

You are very correct sir... Location matters a lot, it also depend mode of production (hand mode or machine mode)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:15pm On Apr 13, 2016
Time to keep the pictures rolling.
Setting put: no matter how small the job is, podosci and Abdulwastecx will be on hand to set the work our.
Check us out doing the practical work

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
More pictures from. Setting out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:22pm On Apr 13, 2016
Excavation work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:25pm On Apr 13, 2016
Ground beam rebar preparations underway

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:33pm On Apr 13, 2016
Actual fence construction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 10:43pm On Apr 13, 2016
More updates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by mufutau55(m): 12:34am On Apr 14, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Time to keep the pictures rolling.
Setting put: no matter how small the job is, podosci and Abdulwastecx will be on hand to set the work out.
Check us out doing the practical work

Make sure you don't change this good work attitude when you become famous and rich with many projects simultaneously.
Site presence and adequate supervision goes a long way.

Hajji M.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 12:42am On Apr 14, 2016
mufutau55:

Make sure you don't change this good work attitude when you become famous and rich with many projects simultaneously.
Site presence and adequate supervision goes a long way.

Hajji M.

We will continue to do our best sir... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 12:45am On Apr 14, 2016
We finish this job within the stipulated time of one week

1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 12:48am On Apr 14, 2016
More updates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 8:29am On Apr 14, 2016
While Abdulwastecx updates you all with pictures from the actual construction of the fence, i would continue with the costing
CEMENT FOR MOTAR JOINT
Like i earlier explained, We have perpend and bed for placement of motar and a MOTAR is a mixture of cement and Sand in a specified ratio... For the project and for most project, we use 1:6....
PRACTICAL ESTIMATION
From Practical Experince and from result obtained from a research i did on the number of blocks that can be laid with one bag... I came up with values of 40,45,50,55 and chose an average of 48 number of 9 inches blocks from one bag of cement and 60 number of 6inchs blocks from one bag of cement
From our already estimated number of blocks of 2673
Number of bags required = 2673/48
= 56 bags of cement

MATHEMATICAL ESTIMATION
I discovered alot of varaibles with the motar joint like thickness of the motar joint which varies due to the skill of the mason laying the block and the plumness of the bed on which the block is laid. The type of sancrete blocks also affects the quantity of cement used
-I would use an average thickness of 1/2inches( 12.5) for the motar joint
-9inch block dimension of 450mm x 225mm
-Mix ratio of 1:6
-One block would have a motar bed below and a motar bed above for the next block, making 2 bed for estimation
-One block would have two perpend by the two sides for motar, making 2 perpend for estimation
- For the purpose of this estimation i have ignored the holow nature of the block, I would put it into consideration later

VOLUME Of CEMET REQUIRED
Obtaining the quantity of cement required to lay one 9inch block

Lets first obtain the area of the motar bed and perpend
Length of bed L 1 = 0. 45 + 0.0125+ 0.0125 = 0.475m
Length of perpend L 2 = 0.225m

Area of the two motar beds = (0.475x 0.0125) +
(0.475 x0.0125)
= 1.1875 x 10-2m2
Area of two motar perpends= (0.225 x0.0125) x 2
= 5. 625 x 10 -3 m2
Total area = 0.0175 m2

Since the block has a width of 0.225
Volume of Motar required =0.225 x 0.0178
= 3.94 x 10-3 m3
Increase by 25% for wastage
Total Volume of Motar = 1.25 x 3.94 x 10-3
= 4.92 x 10-3 m3
Using a mix ratio of 1:6
Volume of cement = 4.92 x 10 -3/7
= 7. 03 x 10-4 m3
Using Density = mass/volume
Mass = density x volume, density of cement =1506kg/m3
Mass of cement required to lay one 9inch block
= 7.03 x 10-4 x 1506
= 1.05kg
Since we have obtained 1.05kg of cement would lay a single block,
Total mass of cement for the whole project
=1.05x 2673
=2806.65kg
1 bag of cement is 50kg
Number of bags required = 2806.5/50
= 56 bags

We can now obtain how blocks would one bag lay from this
Number of blocks to be laid from one bag of cement = total number of blocks/ total number of bags
= 2673/56
= 47.7 blocks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by mavverick: 9:42am On Apr 14, 2016
I always gbadun your educational post as usual, I however do have some questions.

I think I read in the first page that the height of the base of the foundation is 225mm, is this like 1 board in the raft world ?
This is the first time I have seen brazing done with 2 coaches of block, looks good. Is this a general recommendation ?
Is soil test required for fence, I guess if one does a soil test for the main build, the results can also be used to determine the kind of fence to do.
In what scenario would you recommend that blocks be molded on site, and in what circumstances would you recommend that it be bought off the shelf ?
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 11:53am On Apr 14, 2016
mavverick:
I always gbadun your educational post as usual, I however do have some questions.

I think I read in the first page that the height of the base of the foundation is 225mm, is this like 1 board in the raft world ?
This is the first time I have seen brazing done with 2 coaches of block, looks good. Is this a general recommendation ?
Is soil test required for fence, I guess if one does a soil test for the main build, the results can also be used to determine the kind of fence to do.
In what scenario would you recommend that blocks be molded on site, and in what circumstances would you recommend that it be bought off the shelf ?

It is like one board in raft world ( one board is approximately 300mm, but you wouldn't get that in the market) . It also a misconception about raft foundation, structurally that is called grade beam and not raft.

Brazing with two block is only possible when you are building a fence with 9'' block but when building with 6'' block it is better to brace with four block per course. A sketch below will help you get the picture clearly.

Soil test is not required for fence since they are not a massive civil or building work, but if you have a detail soil test for your house, the results can also be use for fence construction.

Block can me molded on site if economy and engineering requirements are meant.

Economy in the sense that it should be cheaper than buying from outside. Bigger jobs where quantity of block is large.

Engineering requirements like, strength of block which is enhanced by high mix ratio, proper compaction and curing
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Onuokwu: 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2016
jossy26:
These guys are too theoretical, you need to be lecturing bro

Every sphere of human advancement is based first, ON THEORY, then practice. Be guided.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
Onuokwu:

Every sphere of human advancement is based first, ON THEORY, then practice. Be guided.

Best comment bro...
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by jossy26: 3:50am On Apr 20, 2016
Miscellaneous:

baba abeq park one side..... go romance section abeq babes dey wait u dere. don't derail this thread & don't try anything funny here
by saying hes too theoretical i only meant hes using too many jargons on a public forum where many wouldnt understand, so many others wants to learn but when someone is becoming too technical you find it difficult grasping anything,
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by jossy26: 3:51am On Apr 20, 2016
Onuokwu:

what is this one saying now
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 4:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
jossy26:

by saying hes too theoretical i only meant hes using too many jargons on a public forum where many wouldnt understand, so many others wants to learn but when someone is becoming too technical you find it difficult grasping anything,

pls don't ever refer to any discipline as jargons. Those of us in the field of civil engineering and in the construction sector really needed those explanations & many of us wouldn't near this thread if such doesn't exist.... pls bro, you can look at the pictures they upload if u are more concerned about the end product or better still ask them a basic question and they will give u a basic answer.... thanks, I hope we are cool...
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by jossy26: 7:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
Miscellaneous:

pls don't ever refer to any discipline as jargons. Those of us in the field of civil engineering and in the construction sector really needed those explanations & many of us wouldn't near this thread if such doesn't exist.... pls bro, you can look at the pictures they upload if u are more concerned about the end product or better still ask them a basic question and they will give u a basic answer.... thanks, I hope we are cool...

Jargon is a type of language that is used in a particular context and may not be well understood outside of it. The context is usually a particular occupation (that is, a certain trade, profession, or academic field), but any ingroup can have jargon.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon
i dont have any issues with you na you dey be like puma... grin
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by msogunro: 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
podosci:
FOUNDATION

EXCAVATION
The excavation of the site is billed per meter along the perimeter of the site. The perimeter of the fence is estimated to be 87m ( the length of the gate was subtracted from the perimeter of the whole site to arrive at this figure)
The labourers charge between 500-600 naira per meter depending on location. For Awka they charge 600naira
The Total cost of the excavation = 500 x 87
= 52,200 naira
CONCREATE WORK
Concrete is a building material made form the mixture cement, fine aggregate (sand), course aggregate ( gravel) in a mixing medium (water). The various constituent are mixed in a specified ratio. 1 (cement );2 ( sand) ;4 (Gravel) is the mix ratio for this job
The volume of the concrete is estimated by multiplying the length of our RC beam(Perimeter of the fence) X the Depth of the beam X the breath of the beam
Volume of concrete = 87 x 0.225 x 0.5
=9.79m3
The value obtained has to be increased by 25% to cater for concrete shrinkage and wastage during casting
Actual volume of concrete = 1.25 x 9.79
=12.24m3
Cement
The volume of cement required to mix 12.24m3 of concrete is obtained from the specified ratio 1;2;4
Volume of cement = 12.24 (volume of concrete) x 1 ( ratio of cement in the mixture) / 7 ( total ratio of the constituent concrete materials)
= 12.24 x 1/7
= 1.74 m3
The volume of cement we just obtained has to be converted into a unit you can use to purchase cement from your local supplier( They supplier in 50kg bags of cement)
There is a mathematical relationship between density, volume and mass
where Density = mass/ volume
And the density of cement has been obtained through laboratory experiment to be 1506kg/m3
therefore Mass = Density x Volume
= 1506 x 1.74
= 2620kg
A bag of cement is 50kg
Total number of bags required = 2620/50
=53 bags of cement

Please excuse my ignorance. Is "RC Beam" short for reinforced concrete beam?

If so, will all fence projects require a RC beam? If all fence projects do not require RC beams, how do you determine which do/don't?

Thank you.

I want to perform the same estimate of materials for my own fence project. Can I email you what I've calculated to confirm if correct or incorrect?
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 2:08pm On Jul 30, 2016
msogunro:

Please excuse my ignorance. Is "RC Beam" short for reinforced concrete beam?

If so, will all fence projects require a RC beam? If all fence projects do not require RC beams, how do you determine which do/don't?

Thank you.

I want to perform the same estimate of materials for my own fence project. Can I email you what I've calculated to confirm if correct or incorrect?
Its called a Reinforced concrete (RC) grade beam.... Its an upgrade from your normally used strip footing.. Its used in situations of undesirable soil conditions.
Its a common mistake to call an RC grade beam a raft beam in Nigeria
Send me a mail to comfirm your estimate

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by msogunro: 3:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
podosci:

Send me a mail to comfirm your estimate

I've sent it. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Identify Real Estate Development Potential / WHALES COUNTY PHASE 2 LEKKI. GET YOUR CHOICE PLOTS NOW! / 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.