Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (906922 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by asikiye: 9:40am On Apr 18, 2016
Please who is going to Houston and using WHMC in early august? Would be nice to have a flat mate.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mrsbw: 10:02am On Apr 18, 2016
bigfido:
hello people,

so we touched down Naija on friday and with LO.
Thanks to everybody for your help and contributions. We used WHMC and the bills remain the same with Mrsbwc's bills except doctor charged 2k.

Heat has want to finish my LO. 3 days and heat rash is all over her face. Uber nearly used night bus to send me back to my village until i got to rent a car from Hertz.

please try your best to factor in transportation to your budget when making one. It is very important has it can drain you especially if you are staying in Houston.

curtains down.

@justwise I have accommodation suggestions for people and need your approval to talk about it.

thanks

Looool. Uber oh uber. Finally had to rent a car too. There's a similar app to uber (Turo) that is for renting cars

Houston ppl, transportation cost is a major expense line item in your budget oh cheesy

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by feddy27: 10:59am On Apr 18, 2016
bigfido and mrsbw, you even used uber. Last time, I was using yellow cabs all tru!!! I don't even want to recall that experience o... This time around, renting car all the way!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by tanno: 11:18am On Apr 18, 2016
damidamsel:

I am presently in Philly........

I tried sending you a direct message
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by tanno: 11:23am On Apr 18, 2016
Ludo2016:
Thanks to all N/Landers; i ve bn following silently since January. Without asking any questions i got all neccesary info from here, from the hospital to POE burden of proof. I say thanks to all once again. Giving back i want to share my POE transcripts for my fellow silent followers.
I flew British Airways from Abuja on 14th April to Philadelphia with just $500 and a print out of my bank statements plus DH‘s own. Vain pursuit of PTA in 3 different banks is a story for another day. With a 3hrs stop over at Heathrow; i got to Philly by 8:20pm local time.
CBP: Why are you in the USA?
Me: For childbirth.
CBP: Are you pregnant?
Me : Can you give birth without pregnancy?
CBP: oh sorry, your tommy is not showing.
(sincerely i could hide it if i wanted to even at my 34 weeks)
He put my passport in a pink transparent folder and directed me for secondary inspection. Maybe because of the time i met no non immigrant there so i had no need to wait.
CBP: Oh these Nigerians; you are here to have your baby?
Me: Yes
CBP: You were denied Visa in 2005, why?
Me: I was obviously pregnant but did not declare my intention, i guess it was due to ignorance.
CBP:How many kids do you have; are they USA citizens?
Me: I hv three, expecting the fourth. One is British Citizen, the other two are Nigerians.
CBP: Where is ur husband; what does he do for a living?
Me: He's back home in Nigeria with the kids. He's a civil engineer.
CBP: What do you do for a living?
Me: I work in xxxx doing xxxx.
CBP: Have you contacted any hospital, where is your correspondences?
Me: Here pls. (with a fee of N7500) and other incidental charges.
CBP: How much do you have with you?
Me: $500 with over N3m on my cards. I handed the statements over to him.
CBP: Collected the statements, started converting to dollars. Later asked for where i would stay.
Me: With a friend, ( cos i claimed no relation during interview) . but i need to stay with someone since i would be having a CS.
CBP: Ok, have your seat as i have a long story to write.
After about 3 minutes, he called me and gave me my documents with the passport stamped for 6 months.

I saw my doc on Friday, and waiting for my next appointment by next week.
I thank God for His divine favour and thank every one here for your inputs.

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by osat82(f): 11:30am On Apr 18, 2016
mrsbw:

Looool. Uber oh uber. Finally had to rent a car too. There's a similar app to uber (Turo) that is for renting cars

Houston ppl, transportation cost is a major expense line item in your budget oh cheesy

please this car you rented, did you rent it to drive it by yourself?or it came with a driver?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Cmeo(m): 11:37am On Apr 18, 2016
@LadyGuinivere
@bbaby84
@all

My loyalty for Arikair got shaken last night (April 17). There was a technical issue as our flight was on ranp and was ascend to the sky. Unfortunately, the flight was rescheduled to 24 - 48hrs. The annoying thing is that there was no proper/good communication on how we would be lodge into hotel before our next departure; hence we shut down their operations and they couldn't check in passengers or airlift till 11:00am on Monday.18th April. This delay made me to lose $170 at 300naira to $1 been a flight fee paid for New York to Houston.

They showed us pepper and we rubbed it in their face, even Minister of Information couldn't board his arikair flight to UK today.

@mumcshyn
I couldn't make the flight again last night. Let me know if would still need it at my new time departure (which is not yet known)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 11:48am On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

please this car you rented, did you rent it to drive it by yourself?or it came with a driver?

A rented car that comes with a driver = Cab/Taxi.

A warning to those renting cars, please make sure you familiarize yourself with the US driving rules. Stop signs, right of way rule at a 4way junction etc. Americans do not do defensive driving so if you try to drive the naija way you would hit someone. Running a red light or stop sign can cost you up to 250dollars.

18 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Dabira19: 11:57am On Apr 18, 2016
Good morning NLanders.Pls any Dallas mum travelling in June? Kindly PM me as per accommodation. Thanks all.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Omodadi2: 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2016
sugah:

A warning to those renting cars, please make sure you familiarize yourself with the US driving rules. Stop signs, right of way rule at a 4way junction etc. Americans do not do defensive driving so if you try to drive the naija way you would hit someone. Running a red light or stop sign can cost you up to 250dollars.

Pls how did you get that car with driver?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2016
Omodadi2:

You can only get a car with a driver if its a taxi/cab/uber/limo service.

Car rentals don't come with drivers (as far as I know).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by blaize777: 12:34pm On Apr 18, 2016
sugah:

Hello pls Wats the exact amt to rent a car and Driver and how to go abt it cos everyone is working with budget if we can manage to factor it in.urgent reply pls
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 12:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
blaize777:

Hello pls Wats the exact amt to rent a car and Driver and how to go abt it cos everyone is working with budget if we can manage to factor it in.urgent reply pls

It seems I need to brush up my English oh. I have written same response twice now and still being misunderstood.

You cannot rent a car and driver. If you want a car that has a driver you have to use a cab/taxi or uber.

Car rental companies rent out 'cars' only. You have to know how to drive and know the driving rules to rent a car.

24 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ucystan(f): 12:44pm On Apr 18, 2016
blaize777:

Lol... u guys don't get it. What she means is that u can't rent a car with a driver unless it's a cab or a taxi. They don't rent cars with drivers, u have to drive yourself.

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2016
ucystan:

Lol... u guys don't get it. What she means is that u can't rent a car with a driver unless it's a cab or a taxi. They don't rent cars with drivers, u have to drive yourself.

Na wa! I need English lessons grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by osat82(f): 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
sugah:

thanks,but are pregnant women allowed to drive in the US?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 18, 2016
Omodadi have you arrived the u.s is omodadi2 your new moniker.? No word from you on the forum again, how's it going?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by asikiye: 1:41pm On Apr 18, 2016
To those of us who travel with Pap, do you also travel with evaporated or powdered milk because i so HATE their fresh milk and in naija/african stores our milk is expensive. if you do, do they seize them at the agriculture? thinking of how to produce enough breastmilk this time around. then any tips on getting one's belly flat quickly? any native tips?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

of course they are, lool

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nogen: 2:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

Sure, so long you are comfortable, have you driver's license and understand road signs. Get a car that has a GPS device to help you with directions. I drove in the US but after delivery however, some Naija pregnant mums in the apartment drove , me I was too uncomfortable and in pains to drive.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nogen: 2:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
asikiye:
To those of us who travel with Pap, do you also travel with evaporated or powdered milk because i so HATE their fresh milk and in naija/african stores our milk is expensive. if you do, do they seize them at the agriculture? thinking of how to produce enough breastmilk this time around. then any tips on getting one's belly flat quickly? any native tips?
Evaporated milk and even powered milk are sold in the US. Go to Walmart and get as many as you want.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by osat82(f): 2:15pm On Apr 18, 2016
chloe7:
of course they are, lool

okay thanks,even if ur tommy is reaching the steering,i thot there was a traffic law that doesn't allow it,but ok since u r
talking from experience
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by FFFB: 2:25pm On Apr 18, 2016
Hello All Pls kindly confirm which is best when coming back to nigeria with LO (visa or ETC) kindly assist pls info is needed asap,i v just a week left
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Abefeokin(f): 2:32pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

Sugah Sugah! U av entered today grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 2:34pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

Yes na. My dear, before you go renting a car I suggest you download and read the rules for the state you are going to. Cos this your question shows you might not be familiar with their driving rules. Those tickets can bring tears to your eyes grin and most importantly, for your safety and that of your LO

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 2:35pm On Apr 18, 2016
Abefeokin:

Sugah Sugah! U av entered today grin

Happy to epp grin grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 2:39pm On Apr 18, 2016
FFFB:
Hello All Pls kindly confirm which is best when coming back to nigeria with LO (visa or ETC) kindly assist pls info is needed asap,i v just a week left

Which is best? I do not know cos I never reach that stage.

But people go for etc when they have a short time left in the US. The process for etc is on page 1.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by customised87: 2:47pm On Apr 18, 2016
FFFB:

It depends on ur preference. The ETC can only be used once while the VISA can be used multiple times within 2 years(?) Since u have just a week left, make sure to use an agent for either cos of time constraints. Also, make sure u keep a copy of the etc incase u eventually settle for it. You will definitely need it in future.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

okay thanks,even if ur tommy is reaching the steering,i thot there was a traffic law that doesn't allow it,but ok since u r
talking from experience
I haven't driven in the U.S cheesy but I have friends who reside there and drove themselves when they were pregnant. In advanced countries women can drive it's only in those middle east countries e.g Saudi Arabia that they have those women cannot drive rules only in emergency that's when there's an exception.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2016
Osat82 I you won't be doing a lot of moving around e.g like me I plan my waka whenever i'm abroad I no dey commot every day, on like doctors appointment and shopping etc you can do uber or any other cheaper option you have because these oyibo people when they fine it's as if they are putting knife on your neck, if you are not so familiar with the driving rules of your destination then do uber or any other cheaper option you just might have. Cheers
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by shithapuns: 2:58pm On Apr 18, 2016
osat82:

talking from experience

Omodadi2:

HMMM..THEse questions about car rentals and driving in the usa is beginning to frighten me.
Pls while I may say that driving in the usa is easier than driving in naija...........it comes with its own special wahala.....
1. road signs/ speed limits/ traffic lights/going really slow on the speed lane etc......all are punishable offences in the usa, while in naija...its really not taken serious..

in naija I see some people really going quite slow, saying doing 35mph in the speed lane on the expressway...n when u r behind them...they refuse to either increase speed or go to the other lane....try this in the usa and u will be booked, a cop doesn't need to be there, the aggrieved party can simply inform the highway cops..

2ndly traffic offences come with a minimum 250 dollar ticket, and in some cases an entry might be made against your passport/visa..........

so I would advice all newbies to try driving under the supervision of an old hand for a few days b4 going out on your own.
then if you don't know/hvnt operated a maps app on ur phone b4..or a gps based navigation map...............then driving in usa would b a lot lot more difficult.........I would advice you simply do uber

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (405)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Polish Student Visa

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.