Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall (954 Views)

President Trump Visits His Border Wall Prototype Between U.S. And Mexico(Photos) / Construction Of U.S/Mexico Border Wall Prototype In California Desert(Photos) / Huge Earthquake Hits Buildings In Mexico, Killing Over 200 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Shymm3x: 7:48am On Apr 06, 2016
Trump reveals plan to finance Mexico border wall with threat to cut off funds
Republican says the key to wall’s financing is forcing Mexico to make a one-time payment of $5-10bn or halt money transfers from immigrants to family at home

Donald Trump
‘It’s an easy decision for Mexico,’ Donald Trump wrote in the memo. Photograph: Charles Rex Arbogast/AP

Scott Bixby in New York and David Agren in Mexico City
Billionaire Republican frontrunner Donald Trump has finally revealed how he plans to force Mexico to pay for his multibillion-dollar wall along the US southern border, a linchpin of his presidential campaign that has never been fully detailed before.

Now or never: Trump's Mexico wall threat encourages migration to US

The key to the wall’s financing, Trump wrote in a two-page memo to the Washington Post, is threatening to halt money transfers from Mexican immigrants in the US to family back home. These remittances amount to nearly $25bn each year, roughly 2% of the Mexican gross domestic product, according to the World Bank. Cutting off these money transfers could doom the Mexican economy to recession and severely damage diplomatic relations.

“It’s an easy decision for Mexico,” Trump wrote in the memo, written on campaign stationary emblazoned with his “Make America Great Again!” motto. “Make a one-time payment of $5-$10bn to ensure that $24bn continues to flow into their country year after year.”

Trump has previously estimated the cost of building the wall at $8bn.

In the memo, entitled Compelling Mexico to Pay for the Wall, Trump said that on the first day of his presidency he would warn the Mexican government of a new regulation that would allow for the government’s seizure of financial assets by immigrants unless they provide documentation establishing “lawful presence in the United States”. According to Trump, “the majority” of the amount sent as remittances comes from undocumented migrants.

The feasibility and legality of such a maneuver is unclear. “Trump is giving an extremely broad definition of this section of the Patriot Act and what it allows, and it’d surely be litigated,” Stuart Anderson, executive director of the National Foundation for American Policy, told the Washington Post. “It would be a large expansion beyond what the text reads.”

Trump’s memo cites additional examples of diplomatic arm-twisting , including an increase in tariffs on Mexican imports, putting a halt to legal immigration and increasing fees for visas and green cards. “Immigration is a privilege, not a right,” Trump wrote. “Mexico is totally dependent on the United States as a release valve for its own poverty.”

He concluded his memo by lambasting current immigration rates, writing that “gangs, drug traffickers and cartels have freely exploited our open borders and committed vast numbers of crimes inside the United States”.

“We have the moral high ground here, and all the leverage,” Trump concluded. “It is time we use it.”

Barack Obama responded to Trump’s plan at a press briefing on Tuesday.

Obama: Trump’s plan to pay for Mexico wall ‘half-baked’
“Good luck with that,” the president said, citing the dangers of what he described as “half-baked notions”.

Obama told journalists that the proposal was “one more example of something that is not thought through and primarily put forward for political consumption”.

And he warned of the ramifications such a plan would have on the Mexican economy which, in turn, would drive more immigrants to flee to the US in search of jobs.

“People around the world ... don’t expect half-baked notions coming out of the White House. We can’t afford that.”

Trump’s proposal was greeted with jeers in Mexico.

“You can’t hold a country up for ransom. That’s not what Mexicans expect from a serious candidate,” said Arturo Franco, an economist and non-resident fellow at the Atlantic Council. “You can’t have a stupid idea [like a wall] and ask the other country to pay for it.”

The Mexican government appointed a new ambassador to the United States on Tuesday, while sending the director of international press from the president’s office to the Foreign Relations Secretariat as undersecretary for North American matters.

Analysts interpreted the moves as a signal that Mexico intends to take a more outspoken stance against Trump.

But the property magnate’s rise has spooked the country’s political and business classes, which have bet big on NAFTA and closer relations over the past two decades.

“Who have benefitted most from the deal with the US most over the last 25 years?” said Federico Estévez, political science professor at the Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico. “They’re not defending peasants. … It’s their pocketbooks that will be most affected if Trump comes to pass.”

Mexicans send more than $24bn in remittances in 2015, according to the Banco de México with much of it sustaining households and supporting relatives back home.

Outward migration has slowed since the 2008 economic crisis as job prospects dimmed in the United States and the border became increasingly fortified. The price of hiring a people-smuggler to guide a migrant across the border has soared to around $5,000 per person, while the business is now controlled by criminals, said Ellen Calmus, director of the Corner Institute, an organization which works with the families of migrants near Mexico City.

She didn’t think a wall would stop the flow of migrants since the smugglers “have control of it the cross-border flow and have found ways to get people through, including with bribery.”

Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto appeared to dismiss Trump’s proposal as campaign rhetoric.

“The [Mexican] presidency has no comment on any opinion made in the heat of the electoral process to choose candidates for the US presidency,” the president’s office said in a text message to Reuters.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/05/donald-trump-mexico-border-wall-plan-remittances

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Shymm3x: 7:58am On Apr 06, 2016
Bwahahaha

I have never seen a crazed nutter running for presidential post like Donald Trump in my life. This guy is a walking comic relief with the most outlandish statements ever...arguably the best thing to happen to international politics in a long time, due to all the wars. We all need a good laugh from time to time lol.

Then again, he's from New York and he grew up in the era when the Italian mafias and Jewish crime families ran NYC. So he must know a thing or two about forcing people to pay levies like he's trying to charge Mexico billions of dollars for the useless border wall. You can't make this shyte up - Trump is a legend looool.

Trump for president if Bernie the Obi-wan doesn't get it. If the real deal can't get it - then I think the world needs the big comedian like Donald Trump, to get it, rather than Hilary. We all need someone who can make us laugh everyday and Trump is the guy for that.

Big Trump for US President...bwahahaha

Cc: Sukkot
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by thesicilian: 7:58am On Apr 06, 2016
The guy is an idiot. According to Obama, Donald Trump may not actually understand foreign policy that much. How does he think Mexico's going to agree to that without a fight?
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 06, 2016
When we came out and raised concerns about Amerika's oppression & modern-day slavery, they said we were indirectly looking for the hands of Malia Obama in marriage. grin

Well, Amerika is indeed the land of the free and Donald Trump has just vindicated me. grin

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by ifex370(m): 8:12am On Apr 06, 2016
Hw e take affect fuel price
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by sukkot: 12:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
Shymm3x:
Bwahahaha

I have never seen a crazed nutter running for presidential post like Donald Trump in my life. This guy is a walking comic relief with the most outlandish statements ever...arguably the best thing to happen to international politics in a long time, due to all the wars. We all need a good laugh from time to time lol.

Then again, he's from New York and he grew up in the era when the Italian mafias and Jewish crime families ran NYC. So he must know a thing or two about forcing people to pay levies like he's trying to charge Mexico billions of dollars for the useless border wall. You can't make this shyte up - Trump is a legend looool.

Trump for president if Bernie the Obi-wan doesn't get it. If the real deal can't get it - then I think the world needs the big comedian like Donald Trump, to get it, rather than Hilary. We all need someone who can make us laugh everyday and Trump is the guy for that.

dat nigga trump is a joker. listen this whole american elections thing is a joke. obama is not leaving the presidency. a war will break out before the elections and obama will become the dictator. all this election is just a farce to keep the public entertained. the fate of america has been sealed in the spiritual realm and the man to deliver that judgement is obama so trust me, obama is the last american president. trump is the comic relief before the hammer comes down on america. its a minstrel show. trump is the redneck minstrel show lolz grin
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Pennsylvania: 1:35pm On Apr 06, 2016
I've said it and will continue to say it. Trump's foreign policy is wack! As much as I want to agree with a little of what Obama said, but Obama didn't understand much about foreign policy when he was a young Senator from Chicago.
Trump's policy is focused on internal America and not outside. Imagine him saying Japan and SK will pay more for American troops guarding them. This is an unncessary statement aimed at heating up the relationship between the US and Japan/SK

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Fleshly: 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2016
sukkot:
dat nigga trump is a joker. listen this whole american elections thing is a joke. obama is not leaving the presidency. a war will break out before the elections and obama will become the dictator. all this election is just a farce to keep the public entertained. the fate of america has been sealed in the spiritual realm and the man to deliver that judgement is obama so trust me, obama is the last american president. trump is the comic relief before the hammer comes down on america. its a minstrel show. trump is the redneck minstrel show lolz grin

My man, thou I disagree with you, but I've been having this feelin of something strange happening in the U.S. Political terrain this year. But, why are the establishments so bent on preventing Trump from winning the election.?
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by Fleshly: 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
Shymm3x:
Bwahahaha

I honestly wish Trump will win. You know Bernie stands no chance... TRump will be the better lot amongst those remaining two - hitlery and Cruz. Please give it to trump!
Re: Donald Trump Reveals How He Plans To Finance His Great Mexico Border Wall by sukkot: 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
Fleshly:

My man, thou I disagree with you, but I've been having this feelin of something strange happening in the U.S. Political terrain this year. But, why are the establishments so bent on preventing Trump from winning the election.?
trump is part of the establishment. the more you see - the less you know lolz

(1) (Reply)

Muslims In Sweden Post Notes On Ppls Door / Crisis After Oil Boom-the Pathetic Story Of Angola / BREAKING: Russian President Putin Congratulates Donald Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.