Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,674 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy (20897 Views)

I Advised Agf Malami To Meet With Maina Abroad – Sss Dg Lawal Daura / Marketers Ask FG To Remove Fuel Price Cap / Buhari Moves To Remove Fuel Subsidy, Begins Consultation With NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Islie: 7:43am On Apr 07, 2016
Says governors did not allow oil savings under past administration

Former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has said her 83-year-old mother was kidnapped because she advised former President Goodluck Jonathan to remove fuel subsidy.

In an interview with Le Monde, the 61-year-old economist said the fight against corruption was at the root of the kidnap, with the abductors demanding her resignation on live television.

When asked what her failures and successes in the fight against corruption were, Okonjo-Iweala said: “Your answer would take a whole day.

“On my first experience as minister, I wrote a book, Reforming the Unreformable (ed) The MIT Press, 2012). For the second, it was really difficult. Nigeria subsidises fuel. About $ 6.7 billion that it costs, we found that 1.5 billion was fraudulent.

“One importer claimed that his boat was waging its oil while at the other end of the world, according to maritime classification society Lloyd’s Register Marine.

“I told the president that we would stop paying. What happened? They kidnapped my mother, 83 years. During the first three days, their only demand was my resignation. I was supposed to go on television and announce my resignation.

“This was one of the worst moments of my life. Can you imagine what happens in your head if you have to be responsible for the death of your mother?

“I will not go into details, but you must understand that in a country like this… in the fight against corruption, we must be prepared to pay a personal price. My father asked me not to resign. The president asked me not to resign. At the end, everyone began looking for her, and the kidnappers released (her).”

Speaking to dwindling oil prices, Okonjo-Iweala said state governors did not allow Jonathan save for the rainy day, yet they are the ones complaining today.

“Some economists are very concerned for Nigeria, which could greatly suffer from the fall in oil prices. Others say the contrary, that its economy is strong enough to turn the corner.

“Both are right. But one thing saddens me. When I was finance minister the first time, the volatility of oil prices, and therefore state resources, cost at least three points of growth in the country.

“We then established a stabilisation mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion. In 2008, when prices fell from 148 to $ 38 a barrel, no one has heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that, I am very proud [of].

“When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside. The president agreed, but the governors did not accept.

“I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved! If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me. We have the mechanism, we had the experience, but we were prevented to act.”

Okonjo-Iweala further spoke on her childhood and the hardship she experienced first-hand, during the Biafran war.

“I grew up in a village in southern Nigeria where I grew up to eight and a half years by my grandmother. My parents were scholarship students in Germany and did not have enough money to take me with them.

“I learned real life, fetching wood, water. At five, I could cook. This life has given me strength and a strong character. The other experience from my childhood is the Biafran war (1967-1970). My parents lost everything. I knew what it was to have nothing more.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/07/okonjo-iweala-my-mother-was-kidnapped-because-i-advised-jonathan-to-remove-fuel-subsidy/

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by ORACLE1975(m): 7:47am On Apr 07, 2016
What?
Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 4reala(m): 7:48am On Apr 07, 2016
This one na lie from d pit of hell o

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Goldencollins: 7:48am On Apr 07, 2016
ThankGod they didn't kidnap u Madam,but Buhari must suffer for making Nigerians go through this kind of pain and hardship.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by fulanimafia: 7:50am On Apr 07, 2016
Blame game from Madam best economy on paper.

If not for the timid, ineffectual, incompetent and clueless president, how can ordinary governors hold a President and commander in chief to ransom, was he such a dullard to not know the effect of wasting oil savings when oil prices were high, especially when NOI herself had warned that the oil prices would soon crash and Nigeria would be broke? Is that not why Nigerians are suffering today?

Governors fault indeed. It's like saying El Rufai or Fayose can force Buhari to share the money saved from the TSA. Impossible.

Thank God we got rid of you and Don Clueless Ineffectuanto.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Standing5(m): 7:52am On Apr 07, 2016
By who please? When u serve under a clueless govt you are bound to have no clue . . .

12 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by ochilikoko(m): 7:52am On Apr 07, 2016
Who doesn't know that Oil ministry is the most sensitive position in Nigeria after Presidency. Many cabals will always try to frustrate you once any decision is not in their Favour.

13 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by seunmsg(m): 7:53am On Apr 07, 2016

"Speaking to dwindling oil prices, Okonjo-Iweala said state governors did not allow Jonathan save for the rainy day, yet they are the ones complaining today"

She has been saying this since she left office. The only simple question she still can't answer is, where is the savings from federal governments share of the allocation?

If state governments refused to cooperate with the federal government to save from the federation account, why can't the federal government save from its own share if it consider saving a priority.

Huge savings were made during OBJ's tenure irrespective of whether the governors like it or not. Heaping the blame on governors is very irresponsible of her. The blame for not saving in a period of boom goes to her, Jonathan and the governors equally.

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by politricks: 7:54am On Apr 07, 2016
Goldencollins:
ThankGod they didn't kidnap u Madam,but Buhari must suffer for making Nigerians go through this kind of pain and hardship.
Did they mention buhari in the post or was he chasing you in your dreams?

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 07, 2016
I may not be privy to truth about what happened behind the scene during GEJ tenure but one thing I know for sure from day one NOI presence was felt.

In the present administration I not sure if we have a finance minister, not even a bleep from her with all the uncertainty and hardship in the land. At least she should update Nigerians on what they are doing or planning to do to solve the current economic woes. I dont know when CBN governor and Lai Mohammed became finance ministers.

I tire for naija.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by JingoOAU(m): 7:54am On Apr 07, 2016
You mean your mum was kidnapped so that you could resign??

That is a very expensive lie...kidnappers you paid millions of naira, how can they be interested in your resignation...it doesn't add up...if they had really wanted you to resign, it's either you resign or they kill your mother

You and your president were unwise not to have the confidence of your PDP dominated governor's forum. It means PDP governors and Jonathan as at then we're playing cat and mouse...

18 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by ochilikoko(m): 7:55am On Apr 07, 2016
4reala:
This one na lie from d pit of hell o
there may be truth in the assertion. She is the only person to narrate her ordeals as a minister of petroleum. Remember when Buhari was in opposition,he never believed that un-easy lies the head that bears the crown but see how his Government has turned out to be. Frustrations every where

30 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by TippyTop(m): 7:57am On Apr 07, 2016
[s]
fulanimafia:

If not for the timid, ineffectual, incompetent and clueless president, how can ordinary governors hold a President and commander in chief to ransom, was he such a dullard to not know the effect of wasting oil savings when oil prices were high, especially when NOI herself had warned that the oil prices would soon crash an Nigeria would be broke? Is that not why Nigerians are suffering today?

Governors fault indeed. It's like saying El Rufai or Fayose can force Buhari to share the money saved from the TSA. Impossible.

[/s]

Stop your propaganda.
The governors took the Federal government to court insisting our savings be shared, same can happen in this administration.

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 4reala(m): 7:59am On Apr 07, 2016
ochilikoko:
there may be truth in the assertion. She is the only person to narrate her ordeals as a minister of petroleum. Remember when Buhari was in opposition,he never believed that un-easy lies the head that bears the crown but see how his Government has turned out to be. Frustrations every where
oga, abeg leave dis pple trying to politicize everything

4 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by fulanimafia: 8:29am On Apr 07, 2016
TippyTop:
[s][/s]

[s]Stop your propaganda.
The governors took the Federal government to court insisting our savings be shared, same can happen in this administration.[/s]

Where are the savings from federal governments share of the allocation?

13 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by SweetieConstie(f): 8:31am On Apr 07, 2016
Lol... These corrupt ministers! God is watching y'all...

These are all lies! undecided

1 Like

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by obailala(m): 8:45am On Apr 07, 2016
The most important point she raised here is that during the 2008 oil price crash, the fact that she/OBJ/Yaradua had savings of up to $22bn in ECA, Nigeria didnt feel the heat of the oil price crash in 2008.

But under GEJ, governors forced the hands of GEJ until he shared the ECA funds. The question I have however is, the FG's share in the ECA fund was over 50%, so did the governors also force GEJ/NOI to spend the over $11bn which was the FG's share?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 8:46am On Apr 07, 2016
Story Story

1 Like

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by EastanPower(m): 8:53am On Apr 07, 2016
fulanimafia:

If not for the timid, ineffectual, incompetent and clueless president, how can ordinary governors hold a President and commander in chief to ransom, was he such a dullard to not know the effect of wasting oil savings when oil prices were high, especially when NOI herself had warned that the oil prices would soon crash and Nigeria would be broke? Is that not why Nigerians are suffering today?

You sound foolish because you still cannot see that Jonathan was to blame because he was the GCFR and not Ngozi.

Jonathan did not provide the necessary cover Ngozi needed to do a good job. Ngozi worked under Obasanjo and she did very well; Obasanjo left a lot of money in the reserve. Ngozi is intelligent and worth her onion; the problem was lack of proper leadership from the presidency.

You guys should leave Ngozi alone; a president takes the blame for anything that happens in his government just like Buhari is being blamed for all the sufferings now.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by TheFreeOne: 8:56am On Apr 07, 2016
“We then established a stabilisation mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion. In 2008, when prices fell from 148 to $ 38 a barrel, no one has heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that, I am very proud [of].

“When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside. The president agreed, but the governors did not accept.

“I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved! If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me. We have the mechanism, we had the experience, but we were prevented to act.”

So much insincerity and selfishness on the part of government(state & federal). How can sane human beings be against saving for a rainy day?

I won't be surprised its the likes of Aregbesola, Oshiomole e.t.c that were at the forefront of campaign to share ECA. And today most states have gone bankrupt due to incompetency, wastefulness and shortsightedness of their governors.

16 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by SleekMallam: 8:57am On Apr 07, 2016
Tinubu and all the people that organised the Ojota carnival were behind the kidnapping and resignation saga.

16 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by fulanimafia: 8:58am On Apr 07, 2016
EastanPower:

[s]You sound foolish because you still cannot see that Jonathan was to blame because he was the GCFR and not Ngozi.

Jonathan did not provide the necessary cover Ngozi needed to do a good job. Ngozi worked under Obasanjo and she did very well; Obasanjo left a lot of money in the reserve. Ngozi is intelligent and worth her onion; the problem was lack of proper leadership from the presidency.

You guys should leave Ngozi alone; a president takes the blame for anything that happens in his government just like Buhari isbeing blamed for all the sufferings now.[/s]

Are you just being silly or did you not see where Jonathan was fingered_ as being responsible for not providing adequate leadership? Less emotion and more reasoning will save you from ridiculing yourself in the future.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by SleekMallam: 9:04am On Apr 07, 2016
TippyTop:
[s][/s]

Stop your propaganda.
The governors took the Federal government to court insisting our savings be shared, same can happen in this administration.
You dey mind those mofos?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Goke7: 9:23am On Apr 07, 2016
Indirectly madam NOI has indicted herself for the problems we have today, the excuses she is giving is what kemi adeosun too can come up with in some years time. Our public officials must accept responsibility for their failures and successes the way many are expecting PMB and his aides to accept responsibility.

If a cabal is too strong for you to operate, its better to resign, blaming them afterwards is cowardice.

This applies to both PDP and APC.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by greatiyk4u(m): 9:26am On Apr 07, 2016
She has indirectly exposed the cluelessness,incompetence and lack of political will of her Boss IB, to lead Nigeria.

Are the Governors more powerful than the C-in-C? You saved some money used during economic meltdown under OBJ because he has the political will to take control of the affairs.

We voted Buhari cos we know he has the political will to fight whoever the cabal might be that has been slowing down our development.....

9 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 989900: 9:34am On Apr 07, 2016
seunmsg:

"Speaking to dwindling oil prices, Okonjo-Iweala said state governors did not allow Jonathan save for the rainy day, yet they are the ones complaining today"

She has been saying this since she left office. The only simple question she still can't answer is, where is the savings from federal governments share of the allocation?

If state governments refused to cooperate with the federal government to save from the federation account, why can't the federal government save from its own share if it consider saving a priority.

Huge savings were made during OBJ's tenure irrespective of whether the governors like it or not. Heaping the blame on governors is very irresponsible of her. The blame for not saving in a period of boom goes to her, Jonathan and the governors equally.

Spent on prayers against Boko Haram . . . next . . .

5 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 989900: 9:36am On Apr 07, 2016
fulanimafia:

Are you just being silly or did you not see where Jonathan was fingered_ as being responsible for not providing adequate leadership? Less emotion and more reasoning will save you from ridiculing yourself in the future.

Food for thought.

5 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by drss(m): 9:37am On Apr 07, 2016
share d money campaign spear headed by judas ameachi n charcoal face oshiom-ole togeda with their fellow ngf thieves comes to mind.

1 Like

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 100Cents: 9:38am On Apr 07, 2016
Madam, we know all these truth
Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 07, 2016
fulanimafia:

Where are the savings from federal governments share of the allocation?
sorry is there a different excess curde account and sovereign wealth fund for state and FG.

Focus on your education because political economy is beyond your intellectual capacity

Don't thank me. Its an advice

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by fulanimafia: 9:44am On Apr 07, 2016
Fedayeen:
sorry is there a different excess curde account and sovereign wealth fund for state and FG.

Focus on your education because political economy is beyond your intellectual capacity

Don't thank me. Its an advice

You lost the plot, the context of the question escaped you.

The question was asked in query of the earlier statement that the ECA was shared as a result of the governors going to court.

If you still can't comprehend, stop trying.

6 Likes

Re: Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy by drss(m): 9:48am On Apr 07, 2016
woodcook:
I may not be privy to truth about what happened behind the scene during GEJ tenure but one thing I know for sure from day one NOI presence was felt.

In the present administration I not sure if we have a finance minister, not even a bleep from her with all the uncertainty and hardship in the land. At least she should update Nigerians on what they are doing or planning to do to solve the current economic woes. I dont know when CBN governor and Lai Mohammed became finance ministers.

I tire for naija.
buari ministers no get free hand to operate. dem must seek approval from northern cabals before dem fit initiate dem ideas.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram: 3 Soldiers Dead As Army Counters Attack On Millitary Base / Buhari's Administration Set To Fly After Initial Slowdown - Fashola Says / Rivers: More Pro-Wike Supporters Collapse Structure For Fubara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.