Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,923 members, 7,810,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari (4761 Views)

CRS Removal: The Lies And Ignorance, Curriculum Was Reviewed Under Jonathan / Fuel Subsidy Removal – The Biggest Losers And Winners / Subsidy Removal,the Reality And The Advantages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:17pm On Apr 07, 2016
Before the Greek parliamentary election that was held in January 2015, opposition Syriza party led by Alexis Tsipras had called for a reversal of Greek bailout that was tied to austerity by the government of then Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, and a fall of Samaras government. On January 25, 2015, Greece people went to the poll to kick out Samaras and elected Tsipras as prime minister. Tsipras on assuming power on January 27, 2015 was expected to reverse the austerity bailout. However, less than one month into Tsipras administration, the government disappointed Greeks by extending austerity agreement that was entered by Samaras, an agreement that they had opposed as opposition. The singular act brought the disappointed Greeks back to the street demanding for a reversal and the head of the man they mistook as their hero. Tsipras didn't just stop at extendig Samaras' austerity bailout deals, he went further to negotiate more deals. A turncoat he is seen by Greeks.

When Muhammadu Buhari, the incumbent President of Nigeria was in the opposition, he had consistently maintained that there was nothing like subsidy in premium motor spirit(PMS) also known as petrol. As far back as December 8, 2011, Buhari the then defeated CPC Presidential candidate while speaking in Adamawa state was quoted to have said "Nigerians are being deceived on the issue of fuel subsidy, The federal government takes out fuel for refining, only to come back and talk of removing the subsidy. That is nonsense and an attempt by a clique with the PDP led federal government to siphon the proceeds to be realized from the removal of oil subsidy”(www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/im-opposed-to-fuel-subsidy-removal-buhari/).

Before making the above speech in Adamawa state, Muhammadu Buhari in October 2011 declared that there was nothing like petrol subsidy and tagged it deception. In his own words “They(PDP Administration) should stop deceiving the people by talking about subsidy. There is no such thing in the country today,”
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=YmG_dYY7YRA).

Similarly, upon his ascension as President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari again reiterated the same thought when he granted interview to Daily Trust Newspaper in May 2015. According to Buhari, "I can understand if Nigerians pay for those costs. But somebody is saying he is subsidizing Nigerians. Who is subsidizing who?"
(www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/top-stories/20804-i-don-t-know-what-fuel-subsidy-means-buhari).

While Nigerians expected that the fuel subsidy would be taken off, while we still enjoy cheaper fuel of not more than N40 per litre (as argued by Prof Tamuno David West in April 2015) under Buhari's administration, the Buhari admin had other plans.

Like Tsipras of Greece, Buhari first "agreed" to pay marketers N159billion in July 2015, he went further to approve another N413billion in November 2015. Just after Christmas of 2015, Buhari minister of state for Petroleum Ibe Kachukwu disclosed that the Buhari government would remove the subsidy by January 1, 2016 and that the government would be "earning" N2 per every liter of fuel bought by Nigerians. People were wowed, but less than four months later, the same Buhari that had called Subsidy a scam disappointed Nigerians by announcing subsidy of the product. The worse of it is that under the administration, the product has been scarce, and sold at prices between N150 and N200 per litre across Nigeria as against the N87 approved pump price.

Indeed, Nigeria is in an unfortunate situation at this moment. I sympathise with all Nigerians that keep crying on social platforms(Fb, Nairaland, Palmchat, Twitter etc). Only God can save us all.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by djjoad(m): 8:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
turncoatism.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
cc Lalasticlala Dominique

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by MzPecs(f): 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by ireneony(f): 8:24pm On Apr 07, 2016
The southwest should be blame for committing atrocities against Nigerians (south south and south west) now we all have to suffer their greed cry.

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by joseph1832(m): 8:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Karlovich: 8:29pm On Apr 07, 2016
It's very unfortunate that nigerians have found themselves with a dullard as president, and to make matters worse, they'll have him at the helm of affairs for the next three years, even the zombies have all gone to hide shamefully

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:30pm On Apr 07, 2016
ireneony:
undecided
please allow space for others to comment na
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by agarawu23(m): 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2016
You never seize to amaze me with your crap you take hours to write. Like seriously you don't have good thing to do with your time?

Mr man, you need to go back to FB where u were disgraced and banished from and write this crap there.

PDP agent. I know how fat you have fed from the stolen money and how much u guys share monthly in your whatsapp group.

We are still dealing with the messes you and your members put us tru for good 16yrs.

You guys are responsible for dollar scarcity cos all the stolen money dasuki gave u guys were in dollars.

Keep wailing....
I didn't read that crap up there.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by ireneony(f): 8:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

please allow space for others to comment na
why pick on me I'm not the only person that booked space here.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by modath(f): 8:37pm On Apr 07, 2016
Turncoatism ..... smiley smiley

New word alert.. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Mcpadosky(m): 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2016
Am here to read people's comments
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by freeze001(f): 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2016
Unfortunately we're stuck in the evil we've found ourselves in. Barring an unheralded revolution or successful separation of Biafra or at worst, restructuring into regional governance, there will be no progress especially in the South.

It is clear that the game plan now is to channel resources from the South to the North whilst retaining what they generate for themselves. It is also obvious that they are blatantly placing their men in all sensitive positions to the exclusion of others. Even the top echelons of security agencies and the armed forces are populated by them. If we don't wake up and see to full resource control and autonomous governance, a time will come when Southerners will not feature both as President and Vice. The so-called federal character has already been given selective application and in time to come will be completely jettisoned.

The southern leaders appear to have been cowed into ignominious silence despite consistent attacks on communities and rape of our common patrimony....hmmm

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Lukmann(m): 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2016
tonye, there is no need in referring to the past if you can't bring up a solution that would stop it from happening in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by jane0000(f): 8:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
undecided
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2016
modath:

Turncoatism ..... smiley smiley

New word alert.. smiley
Yeah, writers play with words, and it is accepted anywhere. typical of modath...

please, face the subject and stop this your subtle attempt to derail thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
ireneony:
No offence meant my dear... apologies
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by olatade(m): 8:53pm On Apr 07, 2016
Barcanista! Barcanista!! Talkativelipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by erunz(m): 8:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
Buhari, Apc, propaganda and hypocrisy are all the same. in the eyes of there supporters what was bad in the last administration, is okay now since their dullard Messiah is in power. though Nigerians can now see clearly, many have already start the countdown to 2019

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2016
Lukmann:
tonye, there is no need in referring to the past if you can't bring up a solution that would stop it from happening in the future.
Solution? You know what APC and Buhari told Nigerians when they were in opposition? beside we have made lots of suggestion before now.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by MyMouth(m): 9:01pm On Apr 07, 2016
Tonyebacanista, the king of turncoatism! If there is any turncoat here on Nairaland, its you! You shameless protection seeking morafuc.ker! angry

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by modath(f): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Yeah, writers play with words, and it is accepted anywhere. typical of mo...

please, face the subject and stop this your subtle attempt to derail thread

You see yasef, you always draw the first blood & when you see the other person approach with a needle, you go begin shout "see matchete oooo" cheesy

Why would i derail almighty Tonyebarcanista , the saviour saint of naija's "hallowed" thread.... I found the word compelling & made my comment in good faith, stop chasing shadows, everything is not a schlong measuring contest...

P.S.... When you play with words, either parenthesise or italicise, makes it cleaner & won't be perceived as an error. ..

*On Topic*
What does the blackman want? Allow a bad situation continue to fester or do the needful? .... *mic drop*

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:04pm On Apr 07, 2016
olatade:
Barcanista! Barcanista!! Talkativelipsrsealed
I won't rest until the right thing is done
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 9:06pm On Apr 07, 2016
I hate APC paid goons same way i hate PDP paid goons!
Good message from a paid messenger angry
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:10pm On Apr 07, 2016
modath:

You see yasef, you always draw the first blood & when you see the other person approach with a needle, you go begin shout "see matchete oooo" cheesy

Why would i derail almighty Tonyebarcanista , the saviour saint of naija's "hallowed" thread.... I found the word compelling & made my comment in good faith, stop chasing shadows, everything is not a schlong measuring contest...

P.S.... When you play with words, either parenthesise or italicise, makes it cleaner & won't be perceived as an error. ..

*On Topic*
What does the blackman want? Allow a bad situation continue to fester or do the needful? .... *mic drop*
Modath, you know quite well that I know your tricks.

anyway, I don't see the relationship between what you posted and the subject of the thread.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Fmartin(m): 9:16pm On Apr 07, 2016
All i knw is dat, one day wen buhari is no more d president, pple wil tag him a hero as it is wt d case of GEJ.

Its a common practice in nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Lukmann(m): 9:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Solution? You know what APC and Buhari told Nigerians when they were in opposition? beside we have made lots of suggestion before now.

I get your point but you should know that in the situation we find ourselves all we need is a quick fix to at least alleviate the suffering of the citizens and I think reverting back to the subsidy payment is part of the quick fix and by time our refineries are back to their feet then we can now talk of subsidy or no subsidy

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Nebuchadnezar: 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
ireneony:

kiss
you fine sha kiss
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
STFUand4kMeHARD:
I hate APC paid goons same way i hate PDP paid goons!
Good message from a paid messenger angry
Don't hate me bro, I'm a patriotic Nigerian that want the best for my country
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by RaphaeloBurgess: 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
Rubbish. I sympathised with you for you have live with it till 2100ad
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by Nebuchadnezar: 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
[s]
agarawu23:
You never seize to amaze me with your crap you take hours to write. Like seriously you don't have good thing to do with your time?

Mr man, you need to go back to FB where u were disgraced and banished from and write this crap there.

PDP agent. I know how fat you have fed from the stolen money and how much u guys share monthly in your whatsapp group.

We are still dealing with the messes you and your members put us tru for good 16yrs.

You guys are responsible for dollar scarcity cos all the stolen money dasuki gave u guys were in dollars.

Keep wailing....
I didn't read that crap up there.
[/s]

Please when is mr nairaland context coming up cool

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Turncoatism Of President Muhammadu Buhari by mentorandfriend(m): 9:25pm On Apr 07, 2016
PDP is dead and gone to the grave. Huh, hah, gone to the grave.

No amount of wailing can resurrect the dead party.
cheesy

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Igbo Man Who Attends Church Pastored By Yoruba Is An slowpoke -nnamdi Kanu / More Pictures Of Igbo's Leaving The North with Just Ghana Must Go Nawa.. / Graphic Photos: Fulani Herdsmen Kills Many And Burnt Houses In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.