Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? (19189 Views)

Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / 188 Students Bag First Class Honours At Covenant University's 12th Convocation / Promise Mmadubuobu Bags First Class Honours In The Nigeria Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by iamlimitless: 6:38am On Apr 09, 2016
all is well...This country will be great when we realise that having a degree is not about having a good grade alone, it should be about developing your creative ability and applying it to make a significant impact on the society...this should be the motivation for education not having a grade that will serve only as a meal ticket.

5 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by dammywapes(m): 6:42am On Apr 09, 2016
dicefrost:
The environment in private Universities favours education and learning. A student in a public school has so much to content with. From poor facilities to the injustice in the system, not to talk of corruption. At a point, all you care about is just your survival, you just want to graduate.
You understand the matter more bro. I tasted both private and pubic uni and what you just said is what i realised. OOU i hail them. make i just stop. lead city, studying life is better there

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by mevisbleek: 6:46am On Apr 09, 2016
dicefrost:
The environment in private Universities favours education and learning. A student in a public school has so much to content with. From poor facilities to the injustice in the system, not to talk of corruption. At a point, all you care about is just your survival, you just want to graduate.

Omg, well said my brother. I graduated from Covenant with a 2:1 and went to Toronto for masters. I can solemly tell u that Covenant was tougher for me.

Anywayz, when I graduate na only one person finish with firsty for my class. Private University ain't a joke as people might think. We only have better infrastructure which makes studying relatively easy.

Abroad, alot of people graduate with good grades, do you guys think that dey dash grades abroad as well?

5 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Menzy86(m): 6:52am On Apr 09, 2016
Acermoon:
I don't know ur school or department... But first Class No be joke for ABU....
Bros my set U04 was d highest admission ever recorded in d sch (15,000 jambites). By d time we were graduating in 08 I dont think we had up to 30 first class cut across all d faculties. U no lie at all! Dem dey even mise 2:1 for som faculties.

2 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2016
Ejemehn:
Well said. A clear example "Davido, Heard he made a 2:1. After spending so much time outside the school environment, and still graduated with a 2:1?"
God help our generation

Am a graduate of one of the public schools. I can say it anywhere, Davido coming out with 2:1 is not a new thing, it happens in our public schools also.
Some students won't attend class and come out with 2:1 or 2:2

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 09, 2016
Being a first class student brings more respect, you have a better chance of getting employed, however there are some first class graduate out there still looking for job too, some of them are not innovative.

In fact our educational system is bad, where student think is all about getting a good grade and after that get yourself a secured job.

First class is a big deal in the essence that it's not easy to achieve that fit, and it's also not a big deal cos it doesn't guarantee you will be greater than someone with 2.1..
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Rajosh(m): 6:56am On Apr 09, 2016
I cannot categorically tell you that first class in private universities are cheap because I didn't attend one. I'm a product of a public university. one of the factors that cause poor grades in public universities is poor learning environment. over 500 students packed in a 200 capacity lecture hall( my fellow ABUSITES can attest to this). another factor is victimization of students by lecturers. when I was in 500lvl, my HOD used to tell us that he prays majority of us will spill over. Whereas in private universities, the aforementioned factors if present are at the barest minimum (students have good relationship with lecturers ) which is enough reason for students to graduate with better grades. That's why when products of public universities travel abroad, they still perform well.

3 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by calcal: 7:04am On Apr 09, 2016
Caseless:
Well, I have the notion that a third-class from my school is better than a second-class (upper or lower) from private university(this not always true though).

With due respect to my friends who graduated from private-uni , I hold this notion against you not because I'm a product of a public system, but because of environment and so many reasons highlighted by the writer of this article.

My department is over 46 years old (as far as my alma Mater is concerned ), and it has been able to produce just four first-class its entire history. But a university established 5 years ago has produced more than 100 first-class.

First-class honor has been commercialized and commonized by private universities.

Your school is sucks!

3 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Bakare19: 7:07am On Apr 09, 2016
Well balanced article. It appeals to logic
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Caseless: 7:11am On Apr 09, 2016
calcal:

Your school is sucks!
No, yours does , mine doesn't.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:21am On Apr 09, 2016
udemzy101:
Being a first class student brings more respect, you have a better chance of getting employed, however there are some first class graduate out there still looking for job too, some of them are not innovative.

In fact our educational system is bad, where student think is all about getting a good grade and after that get yourself a secured job.

First class is a big deal in the essence that it's not easy to achieve that fit, and it's also not a big deal cos it doesn't guarantee you will be greater than someone with 2.1..
You talked like the way one of my lecturers do talk. The man would say, education is not about just cram and have good grades, the man do tell us he doesn't believe in exam because most times is not the true test of knowledge. He told us be innovative and create a network for yourself.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Emilord(m): 7:23am On Apr 09, 2016
I think it is only in state universities that one can confidently say that first class is not beans..,take for instance Ambrose alli university Ekpoma, since I have been in the school(am currently in 400l,law),the school has only graduated one first class student,and that was last year from Engineering department. then compare and contrast yourself
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Icekyng: 7:30am On Apr 09, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Am a graduate of one of the public schools. I can say it anywhere, Davido coming out with 2:1 is not a new thing, it happens in our public schools also.
Some students won't attend class and come out with 2:1 or 2:2
bruv I swear u lied.
go n find out what korede bello and his likes graduated with.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by FreemanDave(m): 7:31am On Apr 09, 2016
Akkord4gov:
Na Firstclass Graduates be their prob now

Y d hating now. There are a lot of big deal. They worked so hard for it and avoid all distraction,they need to be appreciated

Modified,most of us just rushed to comment base on the misleading OP's title
Anyway,the writer has some salient points,these private Universities have really made First Class a common thing. And even the Federal Uni for those that mentioned UI,OAU etc. Yes,check the numbers of First Class Graduates in the Federal Uni compare to State. You will hear numbers like 85,72,some even 100+ compare to schools like Lasu,Eksu where they manage just 6,7,8 or highest 20 which is very rare. I am not comparing the standard and quality of these First Class graduates between Federal Uni or State but trying to buttress the point of the OP. One of my lecturer here in Eksu always say and I quote"if you graduate with even just 4.5 here in Eksu,u will be overall best student in Federal Uni and become the lecturer of your lecturers in Private Uni". grin

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by juwoonn(m): 7:31am On Apr 09, 2016
Ejemehn:
Well said. A clear example "Davido, Heard he made a 2:1. After spending so much time outside the school environment, and still graduated with a 2:1?"
God help our generation
Wettin u dey yan?
Davido made a 2:1 in Music and you are complaining. If he made 3rd class in Music won't u condemn him?

Nigerians and criticism. You think say na Chemical Engineering he do??

And u should know that Davido is very intelligent, he had an excellent academic background from the BritishAmerican school. The fact that he is a musician doesn't mean that he has nothing upstairs.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by richard870(m): 7:34am On Apr 09, 2016
@Op, kindly compare with foreign trade graduates. I dunno knw why ppl see dis as a big deal......
Its only in Nigeria that attaining a first-class level takes almost all the will power of a student.

Most universities abroad churn out more first-class graduates than private universities in Nigeria, what have you to say to that?
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 7:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Olukokosir:
Beta go read ya books nd cum out wf @ least 2.2
na wa for nigerians o. u didnt even read the write up or content of the topic b4 u begin to spew ur irregularities. am very sure ur likes never read d write up.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by cooldudeng(m): 7:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Very valid points. The title is quite misleading though.

As for the state and federal universities comparison, this one that is not new to me because I have a friend that finished from Lasu while I finished from Unilag. Strange but have come to agree that the level of profersors in federal are a lot higher than states and the way knowledge are impacted is not only different but "salient beef" is also greatly reduced.

As for public vs private comparison, lots for factors are involved but I would say have met some really smart graduates finishing from these schools. Would want to sum it up to say it's more about the individual. Not all wards in public schools are from rich homes, could this possibly be a driver. Lord knows if had gone to one of those school my folks would have drummed it up my ears that I won't have graduated with anything short of a first class.

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 7:36am On Apr 09, 2016
Olukokosir:
na wa for nigerians o. u didnt even read the write up or content of the topic b4 u begin to spew ur irregularities. na wa 4 folks like this o. na so u dey take read ur own book. lol. na wa o.. am very sure ur likes never read d write up.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 7:37am On Apr 09, 2016
Olukokosir:
na wa for nigerians o. u didnt even read the write up or content of the topic b4 u begin to spew ur irregularities. na wa 4 folks like this o. na so u dey take read ur own book?. lol. na wa o.. am very sure ur likes never read d write up.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 09, 2016
My concern is that majority of the students in private universities could not even pass UTME well.
Majority of them could not even make the cut-off point for admission to federal universities, yet they come out with first class.
And the best lecturers are in the public universities.
So, how come the prevalence of first class?

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:40am On Apr 09, 2016
Icekyng:

bruv I swear u lied.
go n find out what korede bello and his likes graduated with.
I Lied abi.
Let me first start with one guy in my faculty back then. You can never see him in class, the only time I do see him is during exam time and the same guy graduated with 2:2 without extra year.

My best friend completed his NYSC last year. He told me one his fellow corp member told him point blank that he doesn't attend classes, the only time you will see him in school is during exam time.
This kind of issue happens in our public schools.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by mevisbleek: 7:40am On Apr 09, 2016
richard870:
@Op, kindly compare with foreign trade graduates. I dunno knw why ppl see dis as a big deal......
Its only in Nigeria that attaining a first-class level takes almost all the will power of a student.

Most universities abroad churn out more first-class graduates than private universities in Nigeria, what have you to say to that?

Thank you very much Sir for this statement. In my MBA class, the class average was 85/100. A lot finished with 90 which would translate to firsty in naija.

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 09, 2016
You guys should stop rubbishing first class graduates from private universities. If you have a problem with them, go and talk to those winchy-winchy lecturers in federal and state schools.

Personally, I don't think the major problem is even the environment 'cos Nigerian students are built tough, the problem is winchyyy-winchy lecturers that victimise students. It's even worse in state schools...

5 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Lingx(m): 7:47am On Apr 09, 2016
Acermoon:
No be lie, I concur!
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 7:48am On Apr 09, 2016
udemzy101:

am so very sure u didnt read d write up. dopkemu..
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by toprealman: 7:49am On Apr 09, 2016
mrphysics:
After paying huge amount of fees in private university, you expect them to come out with 2:2?? You must be joking, minimum in private university is 2:1. I have had an encounter with a first class student of one private university in Enugu who came for research project in my school, I was shocked when I realised that even our 2:2 classmates are better than her, she couldn't talk till she left.
had a chance meet with one of them in NYSC camp many moons ago. The guy was just too dull for me.....could be a genius but then he was acting too slow for my kind of person.
A friend told me how they gave this potential 1st class coursemate of theirs an opportunity to deliver a brief talk on any topic he wanted. The guy could not express himself....do the mental arithmetics to work out the felling in the room. Make no mistake....give them pen and paper, they will pass MOST exam given to them but beyond that.....most of them can offer nothing else.
First class is good, being smart great, a combo of smartness and intelligence to me is the winner any day!
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by jamislaw(m): 7:49am On Apr 09, 2016
Acermoon:
no mind them, all this private glorified secondary school. come get first for A.B.U
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by DrayZee: 8:16am On Apr 09, 2016
Silvofitz:
My concern is that majority of the students in private universities could not even pass UTME well.
Majority of them could not even make the cut-off point for admission to federal universities, yet they come out with first class.
Don't bring UTME into this. Jamb has lost it's respect due to irregularities noticed and is no longer a credible evaluation. Some candidates who wished to study in public have to go to private.
Besides an examination is not a true test of knowledge. Private universities have better infrastructure and conducive environment for learning. Public students have to battle with cultism, over-packed hostels and classrooms from which they may gain no knowledge after each class, and lecturers who hold supreme and unchecked power to fail or pass whomever they wish to.
So don't say that private university graduates are not up to those in public because more people graduate with first class than in public.

Privates go to school and learn. Publics go to school and suffer whilst learning. Privates can focus on their academics. Publics have to deal with other issues.

3 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gassa007: 8:43am On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
What's the use of first class,if you have nothing to show for it?...come UNILAG,UI or IFE ..kon say kini big deal for first class?,you think say na moin moin.....mention five first class students in private universities that have done well,and I will mention 15 2.1 graduates of public schools that your so-called first class in private schools cannot match their achievements
Baba goan sit down jhoor,cos those school mentioned were created far back 1960s so you expect these private schools to produce graduate within this their short existence. Baba use your church mind jawe
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Pasca07: 9:05am On Apr 09, 2016
DrayZee:

Don't bring UTME into this. Jamb has lost it's respect due to irregularities noticed and is no longer a credible evaluation. Some candidates who wished to study in public have to go to private.
Besides an examination is not a true test of knowledge. Private universities have better infrastructure and conducive environment for learning. Public students have to battle with cultism, over-packed hostels and classrooms from which they may gain no knowledge after each class, and lecturers who hold supreme and unchecked power to fail or pass whomever they wish to.
So don't say that private university graduates are not up to those in public because more people graduate with first class than in public.

Privates go to school and learn. Publics go to school and suffer whilst learning. Privates can focus on their academics. Publics have to deal with other issues.
chai see finishing abeg easy on public universities schools na
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gassa007: 9:07am On Apr 09, 2016
Silvofitz:
I have four friends who got above 260 but still attended Private Uni what about that Baba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly / 2013/2014 Unilorin Remedial Application / University Of Lagos Post-UTME Screening Exercise 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.