Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,027 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? (19184 Views)

Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / 188 Students Bag First Class Honours At Covenant University's 12th Convocation / Promise Mmadubuobu Bags First Class Honours In The Nigeria Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by miqos02(m): 9:18am On Apr 09, 2016
promo, promo,promo

coming soon
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by fesdo(m): 9:20am On Apr 09, 2016
Some students who made second class in public schools with poor infrastructures and wicked sorting minded lecturers would make first class in private schools with good atmosphere and student lecturer ratio that is fantastic
Some public schools have close to a 1000 students in a class.....how do you even learn?
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
What's the use of first class,if you have nothing to show for it?...come UNILAG,UI or IFE ..kon say kini big deal for first class?,you think say na moin moin.....mention five first class students in private universities that have done well,and I will mention 15 2.1 graduates of public schools that your so-called first class in private schools cannot match their achievements

una don build aeroplane or don go moon??

2 Likes

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by mbhs139(m): 9:41am On Apr 09, 2016
Usika:
There should have been a big deal in making a first class in any Nigerian universities but due to our fallen standard of education there is no more big deal about it. In the same vein other grades are valueless: second class upper, second class lower third class etc.
Private universities awarding first class is not the issue. The problem started from public universities where bribery and corruption for grades by students and lecturers have become deep rooted and a viable source of our valueless education. Over the years the story had grown worse. And now it has become a menace that has spread to the private sector. I'm not suprised when students troop out of schools with amazing grades that they cannot defend. The corruption in the labour market encourages it as well: you get job mostly by knowing somebody irrespective of your ability to defend your results be it high or low grade.
As for solution, our hopes are high that the war against corruption agenda of Buhari will get to the education sector.

At the bold part, provided I get you right, I don't think your results determines your abilities to do the job, no, it doesn't. You see my friend, result sometimes does not really translate to ability to get job done. There are people out there with no too fantastic result but are doing great things on the job, whether in paid employment or self employed- I, for instance, is an example.

Be that as it may, and talking about the Nigerian educational system in general, higher education in particular, you see our so called lecturers are a bunch of lazy people, not all though, but particularly those that bagged their degrees up to PhD level without leaving the shores of this country, and those employed in the last 20 years.

Majority of them have no business being in the academic, it was a last resort due to unemployment.

I have been privileged to attend online courses in some of the ivy league schools in the comfort of my room, e.g. Harvard, and I've also, sometimes, have to watch some courses on YouTube to enhance my understanding of some concept. This two instances has opened my eyes to how backward we are in this part of the world when it comes to material presentation.

There's one I'm watching presently in Mathematical Statistics from Penn State University. The notes alone, not to talk of the video lectures, are not just inspiring but will make you want to learn. It was as if I'm seeing the author face-face; very interesting.

I can go on and on...
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 09, 2016
Akkord4gov:
Na Firstclass Graduates be their prob now

Y d hating now. There are a lot of big deal. They worked so hard for it and avoid all distraction,they need to be appreciated

Modified,most of us just rushed to comment base on the misleading OP's title
Anyway,the writer has some salient points,these private Universities have really made First Class a common thing. And even the Federal Uni for those that mentioned UI,OAU etc. Yes,check the numbers of First Class Graduates in the Federal Uni compare to State. You will hear numbers like 85,72,some even 100+ compare to schools like Lasu,Eksu where they manage just 6,7,8 or highest 20 which is very rare. I am not comparing the standard and quality of these First Class graduates between Federal Uni or State but trying to buttress the point of the OP. One of my lecturer here in Eksu always say and I quote"if you graduate with even just 4.5 here in Eksu,u will be overall best student in Federal Uni and become the lecturer of your lecturers in Private Uni". grin
u talked as if eksu nah SCH...where is ur sch on uni. ranked list?
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by horpilow(m): 9:53am On Apr 09, 2016
angry grin

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by menxer: 9:55am On Apr 09, 2016
Whether the private universities are issuing prepaid first class honours or not, I think they want to demystify this first class honours mystery that is prevalent in public Universities.

Besides, to be Successful in life one does not need a first class honours certificate but a first class mind-set.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by horpilow(m): 9:57am On Apr 09, 2016
I see the thread...i just feel like reading all of it

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by dawtune(m): 10:04am On Apr 09, 2016
mrphysics:
After paying huge amount of fees in private university, you expect them to come out with 2:2?? You must be joking, minimum in private university is 2:1. I have had an encounter with a first class student of one private university in Enugu who came for research project in my school, I was shocked when I realised that even our 2:2 classmates are better than her, she couldn't talk till she left.

You're very wrong. There are numerous 2:2, even third class and pass students in private Uni's.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 09, 2016
Gassa007:

I have four friends who got above 260 but still attended Private Uni what about that Baba
Lols.
260/400 is a child play o.
If one scores 260 in some federal universities, you would need to score above 80% in post-UTME before one even thinks of admission, depending on the choice of course.
Scoring 260/400 does not guarantee admission in my alma mater.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gassa007: 10:17am On Apr 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

Lols.
260/400 is a child play o.
If one scores 260 in some federal universities, you would need to score above 80% in post-UTME before one even thinks of admission, depending on the choice of course.
Scoring 260/400 does not guarantee admission in my alma mater.
What's this one saying, I know of peeps that used 200 to secure admission for Fed Unis,you're here talking trash. You must be a sadistic being.
P.S:I said above 260 gerrit
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 09, 2016
Trendishine:
am so very sure u didnt read d write up. dopkemu..

YOUR father left eyes... Useme
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by theconcealed: 10:24am On Apr 09, 2016
autofreak2020:
This is thought provoking, no one want to run a business at a loss. Oftentimes, I do think that oversees Universities also give higher grades to African students as a means to attract foreign students as well. I may be wrong though.

You may want to join Thinkerspool WhatsApp group for readers and book lovers.
www.nairaland.com/2818120/creative-whatsapp-group-strictly-readers/8#44197279

pls add me to your group 08081778619
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 09, 2016
DrayZee:

Don't bring UTME into this. Jamb has lost it's respect due to irregularities noticed and is no longer a credible evaluation. Some candidates who wished to study in public have to go to private.
Besides an examination is not a true test of knowledge. Private universities have better infrastructure and conducive environment for learning. Public students have to battle with cultism, over-packed hostels and classrooms from which they may gain no knowledge after each class, and lecturers who hold supreme and unchecked power to fail or pass whomever they wish to.
So don't say that private university graduates are not up to those in public because more people graduate with first class than in public.

Privates go to school and learn. Publics go to school and suffer whilst learning. Privates can focus on their academics. Publics have to deal with other issues.
It depends on the public school you are talking about.
Which of the private universities could beat UI, UNILAG, OAU, and a few others?
Forget about those cosmetic outlook of most private universities. They are still learners!
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 09, 2016
Gassa007:

What's this one saying, I know of peeps that used 200 to secure admission for Fed Unis,you're here talking trash. You must be a sadistic being.
P.S:I said above 260 gerrit
I'm so surprised you lose your cool over nothing. Learn how to argue constructively. You don't have to let the world see your frustrations.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gassa007: 10:40am On Apr 09, 2016
Silvofitz:

I'm so surprised you lose your cool over nothing. Learn how to argue constructively. You don't have to let the world see your frustrations.
Don't quote me again
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by babyfaceafrica: 11:21am On Apr 09, 2016
Gassa007:

Baba goan sit down jhoor,cos those school mentioned were created far back 1960s so you expect these private schools to produce graduate within this their short existence. Baba use your church mind jawe
age is not quality
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 11:31am On Apr 09, 2016
udemzy101:

YOUR father left eyes... Useme
hahahaha, u are so stewpid n its very obvious.. ha.. e pain u well, well ?... u are an ediot na.. u know that.? then y u they vex na.?.. stewpid lot. dust yarner
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Ejemehn(m): 11:33am On Apr 09, 2016
juwoonn:

Wettin u dey yan?
Davido made a 2:1 in Music and you are complaining. If he made 3rd class in Music won't u condemn him?

Nigerians and criticism. You think say na Chemical Engineering he do??

And u should know that Davido is very intelligent, he had an excellent academic background from the BritishAmerican school. The fact that he is a musician doesn't mean that he has nothing upstairs.

Do you know what it means to get a 2:1 at all? Do you know you must fulfill 75% of lectures and classes to even qualify to take an exam?
Do you also know that Davido's father paid the school to erect the department of music?
I doubt........

Never said he is not intelligent.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Ejemehn(m): 11:37am On Apr 09, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Am a graduate of one of the public schools. I can say it anywhere, Davido coming out with 2:1 is not a new thing, it happens in our public schools also.
Some students won't attend class and come out with 2:1 or 2:2

Guess you are trying to justify that, abi?

We've got a lot of mind purging to carry out on the people of the present generation.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 09, 2016
Trendishine:
hahahaha, u are so stewpid n its very obvious.. ha.. e pain u well, well ?... u are an ediot na.. u know that.? then y u they vex na.?.. stewpid lot. dust yarner

I can see you don't want to respect yourself huh... Kontinu
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Gassa007: 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
age is not quality
goan sit down
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by people3: 12:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
accurateloye:
u talked as if eksu nah SCH...where is ur sch on uni. ranked list?
You are STUPID apart from OAU no any other school in Nigeria is better than EKSU ....... Ekiti people are d most intelligent people in nigeria EkSU was ranked No 1 uni as act d yr 2000 then it was UNAD
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by mbhs139(m): 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2016
people3:
You are STUPID apart from OAU no any other school in Nigeria is better than EKSU ....... Ekiti people are d most intelligent people in nigeria EkSU was ranked No 1 uni as act d yr 2000 then it was UNAD

You most be MAD & VERY STUPID at the bold part. Which Ekiti people, the one being govern by Fayose, stomach infrastructure governor, or where? God punish that your dirty mouth you used to say (or is it finger you used) to type that rubbish. Idiot.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Trendishine: 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2016
udemzy101:

I can see you don't want to respect yourself huh... Kontinu
do u know what self respect was b4 u started fooling urself. ? opkonu..pls u shldnt engage urself in foolish petty spewing u know wld only have u appear dumb. respect urself first n show gud respect 2. i dnt find u interesting. so pls dnt mention me again. we both wont be needing it. swerving wld be o.k 4 u. too early. but if u wanna try. kontinue..
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by people3: 12:44pm On Apr 09, 2016
mbhs139:

You most be MAD & VERY STUPID at the bold part. Which Ekiti people, the one being govern by Fayose, stomach infrastructure governor, or where? God punish that your dirty mouth you used to say (or is it finger you used) to type that rubbish. Idiot.
thunder fire U...... Ayodele dada from unilag with 5.0 cgpa is from which state ?
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Ugosample(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2016
Usika:
There should have been a big deal in making a first class in any Nigerian universities but due to our fallen standard of education there is no more big deal about it. In the same vein other grades are valueless: second class upper, second class lower third class etc.
Private universities awarding first class is not the issue. The problem started from public universities where bribery and corruption for grades by students and lecturers have become deep rooted and a viable source of our valueless education. Over the years the story had grown worse. And now it has become a menace that has spread to the private sector. I'm not suprised when students troop out of schools with amazing grades that they cannot defend. The corruption in the labour market encourages it as well: you get job mostly by knowing somebody irrespective of your ability to defend your results be it high or low grade.
As for solution, our hopes are high that the war against corruption agenda of Buhari will get to the education sector.

Thumbs up.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Image123(m): 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2016
Hard way is not necessarily the only way. Our so called dull 3rd class and 2.2 students do better abroad. It's in Nigeria the lecturer will deliberately not teach and will mark students down because it was not easy during his time, or such similar archaic mindset. A good lecturer should produce good students, not students he claims refuse to graduate.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by dokgen(m): 2:59pm On Apr 09, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
What's the use of first class,if you have nothing to show for it?...come UNILAG,UI or IFE ..kon say kini big deal for first class?,you think say na moin moin.....mention five first class students in private universities that have done well,and I will mention 15 2.1 graduates of public schools that your so-called first class in private schools cannot match their achievements
FIRST CLASS NA FIRST CLASS. Whether u bought it or worked for it. If an opportunity comes in a FORTUNE 500 company, and they asked for only first class, nobody gives a shit whether ur own 2.1 is from ABU or public univeristy. ONLY the guy WITH THE FIRST CLASS CAN APPLY, irrespective of the university. Wake up to that reality and stop hating. Dont feel bad though, if u dont have a first class, U can always go back to skul to get it if it means so much to u , smh.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 09, 2016
Trendishine:
do u know what self respect was b4 u started fooling urself. ? opkonu..pls u shldnt engage urself in foolish petty spewing u know wld only have u appear dumb. respect urself first n show gud respect 2. i dnt find u interesting. so pls dnt mention me again. we both wont be needing it. swerving wld be o.k 4 u. too early. but if u wanna try. kontinue..

Continue to display your stupidity in public forum.... Olori buruku, omo ale jati jati.
Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by dokgen(m): 3:02pm On Apr 09, 2016
mbhs139:

CLAPS , UNA BE THE MOST INTELLIGENT. Please has any ekiti man ever been president, has any ekiti man solved the problem of the present fuel crisis, has the intelligence of EKITI improved our GDP, has it provided more jobs, new innovations. IF not, please, next!!!!

1 Like

Re: First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? by richard870(m): 3:23pm On Apr 09, 2016
mevisbleek:

Thank you very much Sir for this statement. In my MBA class, the class average was 85/100. A lot finished with 90 which would translate to firsty in naija.
The pleasure is mine Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly / University Of Lagos Post-UTME Screening Exercise 2017/2018 / 2013/2014 Unilorin Remedial Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.