Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,505 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Understanding ABS - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Understanding ABS (1249 Views)

⚫⚫ CarGuideNG - How To Interpret / Understand A VIN Report + F. A. Q.s ⚫⚫ / Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding ABS by hrhjnr(m): 11:13am On Apr 09, 2016
Basic Information:

Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS) is a form of electronic braking which was invented to help a driver to control a vehicle under heavy braking by preventing the wheels from locking-up.

Working:

Braking systems take the force applied to the foot pedal by the driver and transfer it via a mechanical system to the brakes on the wheel. The mechanism works by increasing the input force via a servo to the master cylinder, which converts the force into the pressure applied by brakes. The master cylinder has two pressure chambers both of which are responsible for the braking pressure on two of the wheels and this is to provide an extra level of safety should there be a failure.

During this process there is a chance that the wheels stop rotating before the car comes to a halt. This process is known as ‘locking up’ and means that the braking force on the wheel is not being transferred efficiently to stop the vehicle due to the fact that the tire is sliding upon the road. This leads to a longer stopping distance than if the wheel had not locked because there is reduced grip between the car and the road, which in turn leads to an increased chance of losing control of the vehicle and skidding.

On vehicles without ABS the best method to regain control of the vehicle is to ‘pump’ the brakes by taking your foot off the pedal and reapplying it. This allows the tires to regain traction on the road, rather than skid over the surface of it. Suzuki Hi-Roof brake’s is one of the best example.

ABS works in a similar but much more effective manner. Electric sensors monitor the speed of the wheel as it rotates and detect if it is about to lock-up under braking. When this happens the brakes are automatically released and then rapidly reapplied. This process occurs several times to prevent a skid and to ensure that a vehicle can be steered by the driver to avoid a collision.

Advantages of ABS:

The main benefit of ABS is the control that a driver has over the vehicle’s steering. In an emergency the driver of a vehicle equipped with ABS will have a better chance of steering around the obstacle due to the reduced risk of skidding.

What to do in Emergency Situation:

If your vehicle has ABS, in an emergency situation firmly press the brake pedal and keep your foot hard on the brakes.

http://carworldng..com.ng/2016/03/understanding-abs.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding ABS by cocoduck: 3:02pm On Apr 09, 2016
or u can see it this way, Allows Braking while Steering. ABS
Good job OP
Re: Understanding ABS by leuelliot(m): 4:30pm On Apr 09, 2016
cocoduck:
or u can see it this way, Allows Steering while Braking hard. ABS
Good job OP

modified
Re: Understanding ABS by lonelydora: 6:16pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Understanding ABS by cocoduck: 8:23am On Apr 10, 2016
leuelliot:

modified
naa ABS not ASB
Re: Understanding ABS by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:06am On Apr 10, 2016
As small as that ABS is,A bad ABS pump can cause the car to malfunction in many ways.
I had brake failure sometime ago in Ibadan & the Kazeem that came to my rescue had to by pass my ABS pump,I drove the car back to Lagos and after some days I started noticing my gears selects with a bang and wouldn't go beyon gear 3.for this reason I got some many things changed in the car including the gear box.I bought 2 gearboxes before I finally rememba it might be problem with the ABS pump bypassed,I got another ABS and alas the car is back on the roads again.
Never let any kazeem bypass ABS pump in ur car,they do wen lazy to trouble a braking problem
Re: Understanding ABS by dasphinx1(m): 9:21am On Apr 10, 2016
Thanks Op smiley

1 Like

Re: Understanding ABS by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
BOUNTYDOG:
As small as that ABS is,A bad ABS pump can cause the car to malfunction in many ways.
I had brake failure sometime ago in Ibadan & the Kazeem that came to my rescue had to by pass my ABS pump,I drove the car back to Lagos and after some days I started noticing my gears selects with a bang and wouldn't go beyon gear 3.for this reason I got some many things changed in the car including the gear box.I bought 2 gearboxes before I finally rememba it might be problem with the ABS pump bypassed,I got another ABS and alas the car is back on the roads again.
Never let any kazeem bypass ABS pump in ur car,they do wen lazy to trouble a braking problem

what car was this?
Re: Understanding ABS by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:11am On Apr 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what car was this?

Mercedez Benz E320 V6 12plugs

(1) (Reply)

Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. / What I Saw Today At Egbeda, Lagos / See The Ugly Tanker That Has Got Port Harcourt Residents Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.