Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial (22835 Views)

Crack In APC? Governors Shun Meeting With NWC / Militants Threaten To Attack Niger-Delta Governors / “mysterious” Rain Disrupted Alamieyeseigha’s Burial Yesterday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by Abagworo(m): 10:21pm On Apr 09, 2016
Defying a downpour which lasted several hours on Saturday, thousands of ordinary people of Bayelsa state marched out to pay their last respects to the late ex-governor of the state, Mr Diepreye Alamieyeseigha.

Curiously, none of the governors of all the nine Niger Delta states, the oil-producing area, for which cause the late politician became popular, was present at the ceremony, except the governor of Imo State, Mr Rochas Okorocha.

Apart from Okorocha, whose arrival elicited a loud ovation, governors of the region who were absent at the occasion were the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike; Delta State Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa and Cross River Governor, Prof Ben Ayade.
Other governors who neither attended nor had any representative at the event were Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State ; Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia; his Akwa Ibom counterpart, Udom Emmanuel and Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State.

Perhaps, to also underline the sharp political division in the state, neither ex-governor Timipre Sylva nor Timi Alaibe, a former Niger Delta Development Commission Managing Director, who was prevailed upon to step down for Sylva during last year’s primary election of the All Progressives Congress, were present.

The deceased, who as governor championed the ‘resource control’ battle against former President Olusegun Obasanjo was also called the Governor-General of the region for his role in the implementation of the 13 per cent derivation.

Alamieyeseigha was buried in a prepared tomb in his compound at Amassoma, Southern Ijaw local government yesterday afternoon after he was eulogised by those present at the ceremony, including the Acting Peoples Democratic Party chairman, Mr Ali Modu Sheriff, Mr Jolly Nyame, a former governor of Taraba State and ex-President Goodluck Jonathan of Bayelsa state marched out to pay their last respects in honour of the late ex-governor of the state, Mr Diepreye Alamieyeseigha.

Curiously, none of the governors of all the nine Niger Delta states, the oil-producing area, for which cause the late politician became popular, was present at the ceremony, except the governor of Imo State, Mr Rochas Okorocha.

Apart from Okorocha, whose arrival elicited a loud ovation, governors of the region who were absent at the occasion were the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike; Delta State Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa and Cross River Governor, Prof Ben Ayade.
Other governors who neither attended nor had any representative at the event were

Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State ; Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia; his Akwa Ibom counterpart, Udom Emmanuel and Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State.
Perhaps, to also underline the sharp political division in the state, neither ex-governor Timipre Sylva nor Timi Alaibe, a former Niger Delta Development Commission Managing Director, who was prevailed upon to step down for Sylva during last year’s primary election of the All Progressives Congress, were present.

The deceased, who as governor championed the ‘resource control’ battle against former President Olusegun Obasanjo was also called the Governor-General of the region for his role in the implementation of the 13 per cent derivation.
Alamieyeseigha was buried in a prepared tomb in his compound at Amassoma, Southern Ijaw local government yesterday afternoon after he was eulogised by those present at the ceremony, including the Acting Peoples Democratic Party chairman, Mr Ali Modu Sheriff, Mr Jolly Nyame, a former governor of Taraba State and ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/09/alamieyeseigha-buried-as-ndelta-gvernors-shun-funeral/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by divinehand2003(m): 10:25pm On Apr 09, 2016
They were absent because GEJ is no more in power

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:25pm On Apr 09, 2016
It's wrong if most of the SouthSouth Governors never showed up or sent representatives...

But even when a thousand Governors show up it doesn't in anyway bring the Late Alamieyeseigha back to life..

All men must taste DEATH

Valar Morghulis

17 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by babyfaceafrica: 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2016
Hmmmm.....
Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by modath(f): 10:44pm On Apr 09, 2016
*Edited*

A nor dey support bah bah tinz, God forbid!! smiley

1 Like

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by chriskosherbal(m): 10:44pm On Apr 09, 2016
Hmm this is serious.
Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:56pm On Apr 09, 2016
Set your path straight today..
You will be remembered more, for what you did, than who you where.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 09, 2016
It doesn't mata, he is buried. Sleep on great Ijaw leader!

1 Like

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by aresa: 11:18pm On Apr 09, 2016
modath:

This is one of the reasons black people will always find it nigh impossible to find anyone to stick out his neck onto the chopping block!

Alams, love him or hate him stood with his people & fought to the end but ......out of sight, far from memory...

He stood by and fought for his people by looting them dry and left them with not even 1 classroom as accomplishment...

What kind of people are you people? smh..

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by KahlDrogo(m): 11:27pm On Apr 09, 2016
They all knew it is a huge scam, hence their abstinence. cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by modath(f): 11:57pm On Apr 09, 2016
aresa:

He stood by and fought for his people by looting them dry and left them with not even 1 classroom as accomplishment...

Don't shake your head, say whay you mean, your response dey cooler...Have I ever applauded Alams as a person? Did I make reference to his stewardship in the state?

I'm referring to him as a "symbol" of resource control.... He fought for what most of them are benefiting from & they didn't it even deem it fit to honour him, which is the premise of my position or one can't freely express anything positive about him?

Na wah oooo.. undecided

One thing I want you to realise is that, -at the end of the day, "Robin Hood" is a criminal!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by aresa: 1:50am On Apr 10, 2016
modath:

Don't shake your head, say whay you mean, your response dey cooler...Have I ever applauded Alams as a person? Did I make reference to his stewardship in the state?

I'm referring to him as a "symbol" of resource control.... He fought for what most of them are benefiting from & they didn't it even deem it fit to honour him, which is the premise of my position or one can't freely express anything positive about him?

Na wah oooo.. undecided

One thing I want you to realise is that, -at the end of the day, "Robin Hood" is a criminal!!!

Alams, love him or hate him stood with his people & fought to the end but

= Stewardship...

2 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by ISpiksDaTroof: 2:09am On Apr 10, 2016
modath:

Na wah oooo.. undecided

You should be ashamed.

9 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by funlord(m): 2:16am On Apr 10, 2016
angry
modath:

This is one of the reasons black people will always find it nigh impossible to find anyone to stick out his neck onto the chopping block!

Alams, love him or hate him stood with his people & fought to the end but ......out of sight, far from memory...

Stood with his people against who? And fought to the end for what? The right to LOOT?

Stop yarning dust abeg!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by mayorchelsea(m): 2:46am On Apr 10, 2016
And later some clowns would tell us to demand the resignation of the senate president because of his corruption luggages.Imagine people associating happily with such a man saying he fought for his people and resources control poo yet looted same people dry;we are not yet ready in this country.

14 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by modath(f): 4:52am On Apr 10, 2016
aresa:

Alams, love him or hate him stood with his people & fought to the end but

= Stewardship...

@Mayorchelsea

@funlord

@IspiksdatrOof

Seems my delivery missed my intention... so I'm going to edit my initial comment because it would so distress me to be counted amongst "supporters" of a looter who had to take to cross dressing to evade justice... it wasn't my intention, not at all..

Alams was not a leader that lived for service to humanity.. wasn't his style

My point was just on "forcing the Fed govt" to give them a bit "more" for resources found under their land, which in hindsight the agitation was probably an avenue to plunder "more"...

I watched Goodluck's 2015 campaign in Bayelsa & was astounded by the "jubilation" that rented the crowd when Alams stepped into the Venue..... Governor General, courageous, indefatigable etc were being thrown around..

this, & this, even this + a couple of TV interviews & NLERS going on & on about the "love" his people has/had for him formed my opinion about the perception of his person by his people, nothing more.

I still wonder why; despite all the revelations, Alams & Ibori receive so much admiration...

I've now realized "fought for his people" to the end should only be used for the Ghandhis , Mandelas, MLKs, Tutus, Garveys, Rosa Parks etc...... I'm sorry!!

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by odikimi: 5:46am On Apr 10, 2016
aresa:

are u ok? what Alamco did in Bayelsa, yo governor can never do it in d next 200yrs, u think we love him just because he is a human? we love him because he took care of an every Niger Delta man when he meets him.
For yo information, the little development u see in Bayelsa is 90%% of his work. it is just an improvement of his achievement. U people should stop ds insult on this man because Awolowo as yo leader died as an ex convict, it was Gowon who saved him by granting him Pardon. Abiola died in d prison which is more shameful.
Pls mods u better talk to your people because at d end u will end up doing their bid of banning me.
Goodluck can die and we won't bother, Buhari can die and we won't even care but for this man......
This man's death was d main reason apc lost Bayelsa election because an average man sees apc as his killers because they haunted him to his untimely death. Go and check the list of Bayelsans that graced his funeral, no single apc person attended it, because not even Burutai could've saved the person from being beaten to stupor.

8 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by odikimi: 5:54am On Apr 10, 2016
Some regions celebrated criminals like Awolowo who himself was ex convict only pardoned by Gowon, Abiola died in prison because of treason, PMB who was imprisoned because of treason (if u like call it military, all I know is they all were prisoners). Awolowo was sentenced to prison by a court of law.
U guys celebrated and voted for him when he came out of prison but always look down on others without removing the log from yo eyes.
I can see why u guys are hated down the South/East and in the North. I v friends from KD, Nasarawa, Kogi, Plateau etc who hate u guys like poo. They will tell me u guys are asslickers and untrustworthy, I thought they were lying. hypocrites, love your criminals, I love my, ki ni big deal?

5 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by aresa: 5:57am On Apr 10, 2016
[s]
odikimi:

are u ok? what Alamco did in Bayelsa, yo governor can never do it in d next 200yrs, u think we love him just because he is a human? we love him because he took care of an every Niger Delta man when he meets him.
For yo information, the little development u see in Bayelsa is 90%% of his work. it is just an improvement of his achievement. U people should stop ds insult on this man because Awolowo as yo leader died as an ex convict, it was Gowon who saved him by granting him Pardon. Abiola died in d prison which is more shameful.
Pls mods u better talk to your people because at d end u will end up doing their bid of banning me.
Goodluck can die and we won't bother, Buhari can die and we won't even care but for this man......
This man's death was d main reason apc lost Bayelsa election because an average man sees apc as his killers because they haunted him to his untimely death. Go and check the list of Bayelsans that graced his funeral, no single apc person attended it, because not even Burutai could've saved the person from being beaten to stupor.
[/s]

The man was a crook, a thief, corrupt and incompetent looter who till his death was a convict and internationally fugitive.

And please don't talk about development that you can not show us or prove with facts.

25 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by aresa: 6:01am On Apr 10, 2016
[s]
odikimi:
Some regions celebrated criminals like Awolowo who himself was ex convict only pardoned by Gowon, Abiola died in prison because of treason, PMB who was imprisoned because of treason (if u like call it military, all I know is they all were prisoners). Awolowo was sentenced to prison by a court of law.
U guys celebrated and voted for him when he came out of prison but always look down on others without removing the log from yo eyes.
I can see why u guys are hated down the South/East and in the North. I v friends from KD, Nasarawa, Kogi, Plateau etc who hate u guys like poo. They will tell me u guys are asslickers and untrustworthy, I thought they were lying. hypocrites, love your criminals, I love my, ki ni big deal?
[/s]

There is a clear difference between political prisoner and a thief who stole his people's money, a corrupt man, an ex convict who till his death was a fugitive...

19 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by HopeAtHand: 6:19am On Apr 10, 2016
odikimi:

Your post is funny. No wonder Bayelsa will always remain how it is. Your leaders and followers are the same.

If Alamieyesiegha was half as selfless as Diette-Spiff was in Rivers, Bayelsa with its money and small population would have been the envy of southern Nigeria. But he set a template for misgovernance and corruption and it has continued till date.

Well, If you are proud of him, good for you.

27 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by odikimi: 6:37am On Apr 10, 2016
aresa:
[s][/s]

There is a clear difference between political prisoner and a thief who stole his people's money, a corrupt man, an ex convict who till his death was a fugitive...
For yo goofed b●ai●, Alamco did almost anything u r seeing in Bayelsa; from the capital to the creeks.
Alamco pleaded guilty after 2yrs on the ground that there was plan to reduce his prison term to just 2yrs and since he has spent 2yrs will be let go. It was a political solution from Yara'Dua. So tell me about Awolowo Alamco whose ordeal was political. Alamco was set up by Yo chimpanzee brother because of his 3rd term ambition and his stand in favour of true federalism. He shouted at yo incest brother in a NEC meeting. He is lion.
Tell me any governor from yo state who did what ds man did in Bayelsa. When he became governor, bayelsa was like a camp, he built both capital and stomach infrastructure, there was just 1road in Bayelsa from the capital to the creeks, there was no single school except secondary and primary, there was no light because Bayelsa was not connected to the national grid, there was no house of assembly complex, no state secretariat, nothing.
He built roads, houses, schools, hospitals, electricity, water until subsequent governors stopped it, name it. Imagine a airport he start to almost 40% was abandoned and relocated to another place by yo new saint Sylva of apc. Alamco is and was our hero. Hate him because he is not from yo place, but I enjoined u never to come to this region and say bad about him because u won't live to tell d story.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by funlord(m): 7:33am On Apr 10, 2016
smiley
modath:

@Mayorchelsea

@funlord

@IspiksdatrOof

Seems my delivery missed my intention... so I'm going to edit my initial comment because it would so distress me to be thought to be a "supporter" of a looter who had to take to cross dressing to evade justice... it wasn't my intention, not at all..

Alams was not a leader that lived for service to humanity.. wasn't his style

My point was just on "forcing the Fed govt" to give them a bit "more" for resources found under their land, which in hindsight the agitation was probably an avenue to plunder "more"...

I watched Goodluck's 2015 campaign in Bayelsa & was astounded by the "jubilation" that rented the crowd when Alams stepped into the Venue..... Governor General, courageous, indefatigable etc were being thrown around..

this, & this, even this + a couple of TV interviews & NLERS going on & on about the "love" his people has/had for him formed my opinion about the perception of his person by his people, nothing more.

I still wonder why despite all the revelations Alams & Ibori receive so much admiration... grin

I've now realized "fought for his people" to the end should only be used for the Ghandhis , Mandelas, MLKs, Tutus, Garveys, Rosa Parks etc...... I'm sorry!!

Now you are talking! Very mature of you to address this by the way!

I was a bit part player during his tenure as a governor along with that dunce as his deputy so I saw their style of leadership 1st hand! That's why I was quite sad when ebele eventually became president! Alams was a pathetic governor, his government house 'gbedus' where the only dividends of democracy that his peeps enjoyed!

7 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by criminalmindz: 8:18am On Apr 10, 2016
Who knows if apc had planned to unleash an evil plot there. Witchcraft party

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by hectorswag(m): 8:35am On Apr 10, 2016
Who wants to be associated with corruption and impunity?

I respect those governors who boycotted his burial, they have foresight and know how to respect themselves!

2 Likes

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by HopeAtHand: 8:37am On Apr 10, 2016
Alams is dead and buried, fullstop.

The decision of anyone to attend a burial is down to some factors primarily the personal relationship with the deceased, the health situation at that point in time and a conflicting engagement which supercedes the burial by importance.

In my opinion, its no big deal, provided bayelsans, his people, paid their last respect.

1 Like

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by Dottore: 8:37am On Apr 10, 2016
Politics in everything
Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by timilehing(m): 8:38am On Apr 10, 2016
Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by ORACLE1975(m): 8:39am On Apr 10, 2016
Madness
Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by missKiffy(f): 8:39am On Apr 10, 2016
Some people are just pathetic, defending a man who looted his people dry, make una continue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger-Delta Governors Shun Alamieyeseigha's Burial by shamecurls(m): 8:40am On Apr 10, 2016
divinehand2003:
They were absent because GEJ is no more in power

#Simple

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Ticket: When I Was Almost Fed Up, I Resorted To Prayers – Tinubu / Mutiny: US Trainers May Have Incited Nigerian Soldiers - Sunday Punch / FG Hands Over NITEL To NATCOM Consortium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.