Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts (28203 Views)

Jacob Zuma Resigns As South African President! / Robert Mugabe On Hunger Strike; Refuses To Eat For 2 Days; Vows To Die / Nigerian Guy Insults Michelle Obama On Twitter. Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 13, 2016
And still we'll be forming 'Giants of Africa '

1 Like

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by umehmj(m): 1:00pm On Apr 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Congo DR is an interesting case.

In the 1970'S....work was commenced on the Inga system of dams which if it had been completed would have had the potential to provide light for half of the African continent.

But the project has been partially completed...thanks to good old corruption.

thank you my learned and informed fellow. and some okosodo shiit will open his smelly mouth to talk trash of what he doesn't know
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by amtaken(f): 1:01pm On Apr 13, 2016
No other past administration has ever promised us CHANGE.

Buhari made 1 billion promises but has never kept one, instead he made everything WORSE than they were.

His bad luck is highly contagious.
I believe he's either a wizard or ogbanje. This is not ordinary.

Nusaf:

Until May15, light has not blinked in Nigeria for over 200 yrs , so I agree with u.
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 13, 2016
Buhari is an aberration!
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Praktikals(m): 1:01pm On Apr 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Nigerians fight DISCO staff who try to enforce bill collection.
Bills for what exactly? Make we deh pay for darkness abi?
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Temysteve(m): 1:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
tamertery:
imagine... 2 hours... nd me is 2 days and counting.... hmmmm... God have mercy
ur own still better, 2 wks nd still counting (Amuletigbo in ibadan)
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by kceewhyte(m): 1:05pm On Apr 13, 2016
Don't know the part of country you guys are in but here we always have light
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by soke92(m): 1:10pm On Apr 13, 2016
What Should Nigerians Do, If You Complaining 2 Hours A Day
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by danidee10(m): 1:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
Mediapace:
Egbon just come to Nigeria and your life will not remain thesame!!

I am very sure you will pack back in the next 20hrs when light no blink for 24hrs

Baba my own worst sef.....even inside dream NEPA dey take light angry
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by danidee10(m): 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
tamertery:

Ur own beta nw....i never see light for dream talkless or real life
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nbote(m): 1:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
umehmj:

The DRC desperately needs energy to grow. This mineral-rich expanse the size of Western Europe is Africa’s fourth most populous country but also one of its poorest. The International Monetary Fund estimates the DRC’s gross domestic product per capita at $171 – placing it last among the 180 countries studied last year. That’s lower in real terms than when the DRC threw off colonial rule by Belgium in 1960. In addition to myriad social and political challenges, economic growth is thwarted by a dearth of reliable electricity. The DRC’s mining-rich eastern Katanga province and Kinshasa province already suffer a net shortfall of 1,400 megawatts that holds back growth.

And the DRC’s investment shortfall is particularly severe. The state power utility, the Société Nationale d’Électricité (SNEL), delivers electricity to just 7% of the DRC’s 68 million people. Revitalizing and extending the hydropower works at Inga is the centerpiece of plans by the government in Kinshasa, SNEL and numerous international partners who aim to re-energize the DRC, underpin its economic future and secure its tenuous democracy. Yet, after a decade of struggle amidst ongoing violence, political divisions and mismanagement, dividends are elusive and frustration is rising.

www.earthzine.org

now don't you dare mention me again, stupid!

But why would we compare our energy situation to dat of the DRC? U do realise d DRC have been embroiled in violent conflicts since the early 90's and are only recently beginning to observe some volatile stability.. "These conflicts have not really been political but also has an economic side, as DR Congo is potentially one of the richest countries on earth with an estimated $24 trillion (£15.5tn, €21.1tn) of untapped mineral resources.
With the world's second-largest river flowing through it, DR Congo has limitless water and vast mineral wealth, including abundant deposits of copper, gold, diamonds, cobalt, uranium, coltan and oil. The country also boasts vast energy resources and the World Bank notes that "with a 40GW potential, Inga is the world's largest hydropower site and its proper development can make it the African continent's most cost-effective, renewable source of energy with an estimated generation cost of $0.03 per kilowatt hour." Culled from ibtimes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by gustav25: 1:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
kceewhyte:
Mr man ,I would appreciate it a lot if you fucking stay mute for ever ....can you boast of electricity 24/7? Of course the answer is a capital NO like a capital offence.
Its souls like you that open your big buccal cavity's and scream giant of africa while in all ramifications and realism you are nothing but a drop of ink in this Continent.
Many African nations have a better standard of living compared to you the giant and the enjoy basic amenities provided by the government while all you enjoy here is the benefits of corruption.
You are tagged giant of Africa because the westerners loves to market their products and you boast of a huge population for their market and that's all ......if you can afford it take a trip to nations you guys playdown like Namibia,Mozambique, Gabon etc and compare the standard of living to your's ......RUBBISH

1 Like

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by PASCALSILVA(m): 1:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
tamertery:
DID I HEAR U SAY 2DAYS U MUST BE JOKING..I CANT REMEMBER WHEN LAST WE HAD LIGHT LAST....@OKITIPUPA 2YEARS AND LOADING.... MY NEIGHBOURING COMMUNITY @IGBOTAKO AND ILUTUTU ARE GOING 5YEARS AND LOADING ALL IN ONDO STATE
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by kceewhyte(m): 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2016
gustav25:
Mr man ,I would appreciate it a lot if you fucking stay mute for ever ....can you boast of electricity 24/7? Of course the answer is a capital NO like a capital offence.
Its souls like you that open your big buccal cavity's and scream giant of africa while in all ramifications and realism you are nothing but a drop of ink in this Continent.
Many African nations have a better standard of living compared to you the giant and the enjoy basic amenities provided by the government while all you enjoy here is the benefits of corruption.
You are tagged giant of Africa because the westerners loves to market their products and you boast of a huge population for their market and that's all ......if you can afford it take a trip to nations you guys playdown like Namibia,Mozambique, Gabon etc and compare the standard of living to your's ......RUBBISH
e pain am
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Akposkool(m): 1:49pm On Apr 13, 2016
Come to balanga local govment in gombe state where am currently serving my country. We have not seen electricity for more than 5 months. We pay to charge phones. Thank God am passing out tomorrow and leaving this hell hole. Please help me thank God with 100 likes.
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

South Africa generates 44000MW.

Nigeria maximally generates 5000MW....(Which at best can guarantee 12 hours of light for everyone on the Naitonal grid now)>

15000MW of SA's power comes from nuclear.

Nigeria....(No, we cannot have nuclear power, we are subhumans who cannot look after nuclear power. No No.....!).

South Africans pay their bills.

Nigerians fight DISCO staff who try to enforce bill collection. (And the government parastatals are no better).

South Africa has good maintenance culture.

Nigeria....not only has bad maintenance culture...but a host of parasites who deliberately sabotage the equipment, so that they can benefit from the contracts awarded for repairs.

...and yet they will pack themselves to church on sunday and be shouting "die by fire".
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by habsydiamond(m): 2:05pm On Apr 13, 2016
for my area light na baby's toy. they switch on and off as many times as possible. if we get light not switch off in 30mins that means we are celebrating xmas
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by ncoolsome(m): 2:15pm On Apr 13, 2016
Cutehector:
It's obvious dat Nigeria is just a joke

Bt the nigerian has battery life to reply the south african n i also hv battery life to say it cn only get better
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Afrok(m): 2:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
Nusaf:

Where do u live?
Choba, Uniport (PH)
I hope u are not living South Africa cheesy
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 13, 2016
Visit http://www.blackwhitenation..com.ng for Beauty, Health and Fashion tips
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2016
Praktikals:

Bills for what exactly? Make we deh pay for darkness abi?
Edmen:
if there is regular power supply like there is in South Africa, paying light bill won't be a problem. .how can one be paying for something he doesn't enjoy

Once power was privatised in 2014....that meant that we have to pay for it from our own pockets.

But the problem of Nigerians not paying their bills and chasing electricity workers who come to get them to pay has been ongoing for decades.I myself recall that this was an issue as far back as 1990. And as a result....NEPA then PHCN did not have the revenue needed to repair, replace and upgrade equipment.Govt subventions/allocations can only go that far.

As a result....when the private companies took over, they inherited a lot of outdated and worn out electrical equipment , especially in the transmission systems. Of course, money is needed, govt is not giving them cash....so they have to raise cash. (And getting it from the banks means debts...which we would still end up paying for in the long run, plus banks won't give them loans because they view Nigerian electricity as a risky venture ).

And Nigeria needs at least $1bn annually just to upgrade and repair things. I think the amount is more than that.

So.....either we pay...and power improves....or we don't pay, and power remains bad. GSM works because from 2001-05, Nigerians were willing to pay hefty prices (5000Naira for a sim card even)....and the money raised was used to make the equipment better...so that eventually we could pay the lower prices we pay now. Sorry....but that is reality.

The DISCOS are private companies. They survive on the money you and I pay for their services. If we stopped paying them because of poor service, they won't be able to improve power supply...because no money.

1 Like

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by henrydadon(m): 3:05pm On Apr 13, 2016
blaise00700:
Fake!!! Where in South Africa is power off for 2 hrs recently?
lol..am presently in south africa for my studies and light hasn't gone off for the passed three month...whenever the light goes off it doesn't exceed more than 30 minute..all u have to do to get constant power supply is pay ur bills..simple

1 Like

Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by signified: 3:11pm On Apr 13, 2016
nuelzy:
very useless country.....with one epileptic donkey as a president ....nigeria is a scam
what do you expect from a cattle herdsman? aboki for real!..... waka waka from bush to bush, wethin them de find up and down like a jobless adult forming busy....., no home, no mercy, tie koboko for waist de Bully everybody unto cattle rearing... Nigerians should by now understand regional behavioural attributes to know what to expect...
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by enomakos(m): 3:15pm On Apr 13, 2016
tamertery:
only two days and you de complain
for my area there is no light since feburary
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
Udofire:
@Quakertellicus...you talk of guarantee of 12hours, some people will faint. Some nigerians don't value what is good. I remember sometime late last year, we had light in our area for over 10hours without a blink. To my surprise, i heard some ungrateful neighbours abusing and cursing PHCN that they were the cause of their bottled items in their fridge been broken as a result of too much of iceing due to long duration of electricity.

Nigerians!

Seriously...the reason why all of Nigeria does not have 12 hours everyday is because the transmission system is in a bad state...and needs upgrading in many areas.
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by enomakos(m): 3:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
kceewhyte:
where in nigeria?
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by adconline(m): 3:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
umehmj:

The DRC desperately needs energy to grow. This mineral-rich expanse the size of Western Europe is Africa’s fourth most populous country but also one of its poorest. The International Monetary Fund estimates the DRC’s gross domestic product per capita at $171 – placing it last among the 180 countries studied last year. That’s lower in real terms than when the DRC threw off colonial rule by Belgium in 1960. In addition to myriad social and political challenges, economic growth is thwarted by a dearth of reliable electricity. The DRC’s mining-rich eastern Katanga province and Kinshasa province already suffer a net shortfall of 1,400 megawatts that holds back growth.

And the DRC’s investment shortfall is particularly severe. The state power utility, the Société Nationale d’Électricité (SNEL), delivers electricity to just 7% of the DRC’s 68 million people. Revitalizing and extending the hydropower works at Inga is the centerpiece of plans by the government in Kinshasa, SNEL and numerous international partners who aim to re-energize the DRC, underpin its economic future and secure its tenuous democracy. Yet, after a decade of struggle amidst ongoing violence, political divisions and mismanagement, dividends are elusive and frustration is rising.

www.earthzine.org

now don't you dare mention me again, stupid!
Willful ignorance of history. Congo DR has been fighting war for past 15yrs. Is Naija fighting war??
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by kceewhyte(m): 3:51pm On Apr 13, 2016
enomakos:
where in nigeria?
Dakar
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by Edmen(m): 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Once power was privatised in 2014....that meant that we have to pay for it from our own pockets.

But the problem of Nigerians not paying their bills and chasing electricity workers who come to get them to pay has been ongoing for decades.I myself recall that this was an issue as far back as 1990. And as a result....NEPA then PHCN did not have the revenue needed to repair, replace and upgrade equipment.Govt subventions/allocations can only go that far.

As a result....when the private companies took over, they inherited a lot of outdated and worn out electrical equipment , especially in the transmission systems. Of course, money is needed, govt is not giving them cash....so they have to raise cash. (And getting it from the banks means debts...which we would still end up paying for in the long run, plus banks won't give them loans because they view Nigerian electricity as a risky venture ).

And Nigeria needs at least $1bn annually just to upgrade and repair things. I think the amount is more than that.

So.....either we pay...and power improves....or we don't pay, and power remains bad. GSM works because from 2001-05, Nigerians were willing to pay hefty prices (5000Naira for a sim card even)....and the money raised was used to make the equipment better...so that eventually we could pay the lower prices we pay now. Sorry....but that is reality.

The DISCOS are private companies. They survive on the money you and I pay for their services. If we stopped paying them because of poor service, they won't be able to improve power supply...because no money.
oga you re just speaking grammar and not making any point. .its not by force if they re not making enough money from service rendered they can as well terminate the contract. .Their re a lot of companies out there that would be willing to jump at the opportunity. .and mind you It's not the duty of distribution companies to generate power but rather that of the federal government. .
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by kinnlive(m): 4:15pm On Apr 13, 2016
umehmj:
moral of the story:
learn to appreciate what you got. don't whine about your ugly situation as though your case is the worst cos people elsewhere suffer even worse. this guy is complaining but it will be heaven on earth if we can have electricity for 22 hours a day here in Nigeria

as bad as our light situation is, some African countries are worse of. ask congo DR
mugu...poverty go kill you
Re: A South African Complained Of Not Having Light For 2 Hours, Nigerian Guy Reacts by sharrp: 4:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
M4gunners:
Say that in Nigeria, zombies will call you IPOB wailer.You guys should keep following around.
Dont be a mo*ron. Did the previous government provide constant light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guam Is Telling Its Citizens How To Survive A Nuclear Attack By North Korea. / Afghanistan: Taliban Ban Women From University Education With Immediate Effect / Donald Trump Assassination Attempt Failed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.