Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan (1347 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Should Consult Ebele, Ojukwu's Daughter Over Biafra - Yakubu Gowon / The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own / The Road Leading To Otuoke, Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan's Village (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by harveyspec: 7:51pm On Apr 14, 2016
I keep asking myself where things went wrong. Having experienced life in the Niger delta region, I'm forced to ask

1.What did the Ex president do for the Niger Delta region, knowing fully well that a massive development in this region will have a profound effect on Nigeria as a whole?

2.We have several communities that are off the national grid, enjoying light 24/7 courtesy of Gas turbines owned by various multinational firms eg Bonny, ogulaha kingdom in delta state, amorc in Rivers state(not sure of this spelling)
If shell, Agip, NLNG could power communities why couldn't you power the entire Niger delta & Nigeria? We have abundant Gas wells that are untapped!!

3. Why couldn't you do everything possible to kick start the Brass LNG project & Olokola LNG?

Bonny LNG construction ran for years providing employments close to hundreds of thousands, these two projects if they had started would have provided employment & now revenue from the sale of gas

4. What happened to the various proposed green refineries for Lagos, kogi & bayelsa?

If these were started long ago, employment would have been provided & by now we ought to have be self sufficient, no more fuel importation

5.Its a well known fact that local boys refine crude in the bush to get diesel, the news is filled with reports on the JTF closing these illegal refineries.

Why didn't you give licenses for these boys to operate, set a standard & have them monitored to see that those standards are met? Ben Bruce advocated to this too

With formal approval, wealthy individuals would have invested & employment would have been created too

5. why didn't you ensure that NDDC fulfilled its mandate? Rather you allowed NDDC become another embezzlement avenue!

6. Why did you create ministry of Niger Delta when NDDC was already there?

Inspite of these two bodies, the local communities are still plagued with lack of basic amenities. It was widely reported in the news that the JTF donated a borehole to your community, isn't it a shame that a sitting president's community still lack such basic infrastructure?

There are many more questions, I will stop here for now.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by youngjoe10(m): 8:03pm On Apr 14, 2016
Blame! blame!! Blame!!!

Op, we need solutions to our problems not blames that can't take us anywhere.
Even if Goodluck failed, that's in d past and u can't turn back the hands of time.

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by tspun(m): 8:05pm On Apr 14, 2016
harveyspec:
I keep asking myself where things went wrong. Having experienced life in the Niger delta region, I'm forced to ask

1.What did the Ex president do for the Niger Delta region, knowing fully well that a massive development in this region will have a profound effect on Nigeria as a whole?

2.We have several communities that are off the national grid, enjoying light 24/7 courtesy of Gas turbines owned by various multinational firms eg Bonny, ogulaha kingdom in delta state, amorc in Rivers state(not sure of this spelling)
If shell, Agip, NLNG could power communities why couldn't you power the entire Niger delta & Nigeria? We have abundant Gas wells that are untapped!!

3. Why couldn't you do everything possible to kick start the Brass LNG project & Olokola LNG?

Bonny LNG construction ran for years providing employments close to hundreds of thousands, these two projects if they had started would have provided employment & now revenue from the sale of gas

4. What happened to the various proposed green refineries for Lagos, kogi & bayelsa?

If these were started long ago, employment would have been provided & by now we ought to have be self sufficient, no more fuel importation

5.Its a well known fact that local boys refine crude in the bush to get diesel, the news is filled with reports on the JTF closing these illegal refineries.

Why didn't you give licenses for these boys to operate, set a standard & have them monitored to see that those standards are met? Ben Bruce advocated to this too

With formal approval, wealthy individuals would have invested & employment would have been created too

5. why didn't you ensure that NDDC fulfilled its mandate? Rather you allowed NDDC become another embezzlement avenue!

Inspite of these two bodies, the local communities are still plagued with lack of basic amenities. It was widely reported in the news that the JTF donated a borehole to your community, isn't it a shame that a sitting president's community still lack such basic infrastructure?

epic questions

1 Like

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Julkanade: 8:09pm On Apr 14, 2016
I guess it's not far fetched. Most of these laudable projects will need the support of NASS. But the truth is the born to rule mentality will trigger sentiment give him a bad light because he's of the ethnic minority. Nigeria is more than what you see on papers when the chips are down.

2 Likes

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Julkanade: 8:09pm On Apr 14, 2016
I guess it's not far fetched. Most of these laudable projects will need the support of NASS. But the truth is the born to rule mentality will trigger sentiment and give him a bad light because he's of the ethnic minority. Nigeria is more than what you see on papers when the chips are down.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by mackhunter77: 8:24pm On Apr 14, 2016
GEJ like his predecessors was the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and not a President to tackle problems in Niger Delta only. The NDDC was set up in order to "fix" the Niger Delta.
That said, GEJ was positive that he'd gain a second term which would have been a means of focusing on major infrastructure from the middle belt down to the South (but that was not to be).
He did his best but since the "panel of judges" are always drawn from the South with a few from the middle belt, where infrastructural abandon rules, we will always say that GEJ was a terrible President. However, we all know that we voted him in so it's a collective error.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2016
He did not achieve anything while in office. His party vandalised the treasury beyond repairs.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 14, 2016
op sounds like a sensible man.
these are the questions we have been asking from this "hero".
somebody said the NASS blah blah blah...
did he even try?
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by psucc(m): 8:52pm On Apr 14, 2016
Op you are right.
But he fails because so many forces were working against him.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Flexherbal(m): 9:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
Your questions are sensible. I still can't point out a major project that our son did in the South South after 6 years.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by peteredo: 9:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
psucc:
Op you are right.

But he fails because so many forces were working against him.
In life dere are so many forces against wat make u successful is ovacoming d forces ND standing out... Gej waz a failure ND a mistake 2 our democracy
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Pidggin(f): 9:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
harveyspec:

He built universities in Niger/Delta

He employed some of the repentant militants and gave them jobs e.g. to protect pipelines and oil establishments in the region

You may not be aware of this, but some SS youths were beneficiaries of scholarships funded by the government under GEJ

He contributed to the development of free skills and acquisition programmes through NDDC in the region

His tenure ensured peace within the region

His impact went far beyond SS into SE, SW and North, through programmes like Youwin, Grants for women in business, creating an enabling environment for foreign investments etc.

Cursed be anyone who accuses GEJ of failing us. He did better than many of his predecessors

3 Likes

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by amaechi1: 10:01pm On Apr 14, 2016
youngjoe10:
Blame! blame!! Blame!!!

Op, we need solutions to our problems not blames that can't take us anywhere.
Even if Goodluck failed, that's in d past and u can't turn back the hands of time.

A responsible commentator will respond to the question before putting forth any insult.
The past may have but it will still hunt that fellow that refused to utilize the time.
Any nation that fail to plan, has planned to fail. Just to add the Ogoni clean up he could not even achieve.
Prayer point: God give me the grace to impact positively in my immediate community.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by harveyspec: 7:38am On Apr 15, 2016
Pidggin:

He built universities in Niger/Delta

He employed some of the repentant militants and gave them jobs e.g. to protect pipelines and oil establishments in the region

You may not be aware of this, but some SS youths were beneficiaries of scholarships funded by the government under GEJ

He contributed to the development of free skills and acquisition programmes through NDDC in the region

His tenure ensured peace within the region

His impact went far beyond SS into SE, SW and North, through programmes like Youwin, Grants for women in business, creating an enabling environment for foreign investments etc.

Cursed be anyone who accuses GEJ of failing us. He did better than many of his predecessors

Firstly this isn't a blame game, these issues were already there even before obasanjo's administration!!

My grouse with Jonathan is that he is from this region, why didn't he develop this region knowing fully well that it will have a direct impact on Nigeria development!!

I guess what you put up here is based on hearsay & what you read in the papers, I earlier stated that I have experienced life in this region!! My account is not based on hearsay or what I read in the paper, it's an actual real life experience

Agreed militants were sent for training home & abroad, some didn't take these trainings seriously, the news is filled with militants causing unrest in their various places of schooling BUT do you know a lot of them are currently jobless!!

What use is a training & after that no avenue to put that training to use. I see some of them everyday, so this isn't hearsay

One of the communities I recently visited is an oil producing one for the past 30yrs, there is no single government presence, the govt school is dilapidated, the road was built by shell(currently in a bad shape), no hospital, no bridges(the bridges were built by community, wooden bridges) electricity is produced by Shell

Guess what this community is under a LGA, that was once headed by orubebe, who later became minister of Niger delta!! Yet when he became minister he couldn't remember the LGA he once governed. Same story with the various oil producing communities with slight exceptions

You Said his tenure ensured peace but the question is at what cost? peace in the Niger delta & not the boko haram states, but lets focus on ND

Peace was existent & fuel too because he made compromises & did "eyes right" at the detriment of us & future generations.

Instead of caging the beast, he settled them & allowed them have their way, the monster is fully grown now, hence our present fuel predicament & more is to come because this present govt isn't ready to make such compromise.

Anybody who has spent time in the ND & by that I mean the oil producing communities & not Niger delta cities will know that Jonathan did absolutely nothing.

This isn't a blame game, I just want answers to my questions pleade
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by harveyspec: 7:52am On Apr 15, 2016
mackhunter77:
GEJ like his predecessors was the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and not a President to tackle problems in Niger Delta only. The NDDC was set up in order to "fix" the Niger Delta.
That said, GEJ was positive that he'd gain a second term which would have been a means of focusing on major infrastructure from the middle belt down to the South (but that was not to be).
He did his best but since the "panel of judges" are always drawn from the South with a few from the middle belt, where infrastructural abandon rules, we will always say that GEJ was a terrible President. However, we all know that we voted him in so it's a collective error.

You aren't getting my point, the solution to our fuel & electricity problems lies in the Niger delta

Basic economics teaches that you locate your plant close to your raw materials

If you build a power plant or refinery in the north, you will need longer pipelines when compared to what you will need if situated close to the well heads saving cost in the process & faster delivery time

what's stops us from having numerous gas plants, LNG plants & refineries? If these things are built, will Nigeria's revenue generation not increase?

Bonny LNG sells gas, the revenue goes to Nigeria & not to Niger delta directly, hope u get my point

Once more, development of the Niger delta region will have a massive effect on Nigeria's development

1 Like

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Chikpat(m): 7:55am On Apr 15, 2016
He was a wrong man for the wrong job.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Pidggin(f): 8:01am On Apr 15, 2016
harveyspec:

Firstly this isn't a blame game, these issues were already there even before obasanjo's administration!!

My grouse with Jonathan is that he is from this region, why didn't he develop this region knowing fully well that it will have a direct impact on Nigeria development!!

I guess what you put up here is based on hearsay & what you read in the papers, I earlier stated that I have experienced life in this region!! My account is not based on hearsay or what I read in the paper, it's an actual real life experience

Agreed militants were sent for training home & abroad, some didn't take these trainings seriously, the news is filled with militants causing unrest in their various places of schooling BUT do you know a lot of them are currently jobless!!

What use is a training & after that no avenue to put that training to use. I see some of them everyday, so this isn't hearsay

One of the communities I recently visited is an oil producing one for the past 30yrs, there is no single government presence, the govt school is dilapidated, the road was built by shell(currently in a bad shape), no hospital, no bridges(the bridges were built by community, wooden bridges) electricity is produced by Shell

Guess what this community is under a LGA, that was once headed by orubebe, who later became minister of Niger delta!! Yet when he became minister he couldn't remember the LGA he once governed. Same story with the various oil producing communities with slight exceptions

You Said his tenure ensured peace but the question is at what cost? peace in the Niger delta & not the boko haram states, but lets focus on ND

Peace was existent & fuel too because he made compromises & did "eyes right" at the detriment of us & future generations.

Instead of caging the beast, he settled them & allowed them have their way, the monster is fully grown now, hence our present fuel predicament & more is to come because this present govt isn't ready to make such compromise.

Anybody who has spent time in the ND & by that I mean the oil producing communities & not Niger delta cities will know that Jonathan did absolutely nothing.

This isn't a blame game, I just want answers to my questions pleade

You say this isn't a blame Game, but it is clear you are blaming GEJ.

Mind you, I am from SS and I have lived in the oil producing areas.

It seems you expected GEJ to take over the role of the ND Governors or what? You said GEJ should have built hospitals, markets, schools, etc then what would be the contribution of the state Governors to their States, are you saying the Governors should be figure heads is it not their role to build hospitals and schools within their States?

GEJ built universities in ND and remember he was in office for only five years

You agree that he facilitated the training and provision of scholarships to some youths yet you blame him for their personal decisions to discard their education? What does GEJ have to do with this

You said many previously employed militants no longer have jobs? Well, GEJ is no longer the president of this country, what does he have to do with this now?

Read through my initial post objectively, you will understand that he did very well.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Joel3(m): 8:33am On Apr 15, 2016
maybe because he was clueless.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by focus7: 8:48am On Apr 15, 2016
Op I honestly pity you today, the waillers will flood your thread to ask for your head today. But to simply respond to your points, Jonathan was visionless, clueless, willess and corrupt. Jonathan was a curse on Nigeria, thank God he removed him.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by horlus(m): 9:04am On Apr 15, 2016

This is one issue iv had with the amnesty program. I think it wasn't properly executed . It encouraged kidnappings and created the environment for youths to see political rascality and militancy as a means of getting rich.
Now these militants have acquired so much money that they can do more harm if they choose to.
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by mightyhazel: 9:13am On Apr 15, 2016
Julkanade:
I guess it's not far fetched. Most of these laudable projects will need the support of NASS. But the truth is the born to rule mentality will trigger sentiment give him a bad light because he's of the ethnic minority. Nigeria is more than what you see on papers when the chips are down.
ur wise!

Nigeria is far morethan what we see or feel.
If jona made a tenth of the blunders this present govt is making now,nigeria would have burnt beyond recognition,evn before his first 2 years tenure elapsed.

But look at wots happening in nigeria of today,...very dire situations evryday ...fulani herdsmen carrying on wit impunity,...lack of power and fuel,..skyrocketing prices,..scarcity of goods,..etc,...and yet evrybody is carrying on as tho nuffn spoil. The noisy noisemakers of yesteryears have all turned mute and hoping fervently for turn arounds. These are same ppl dat Criticised bitterly in The past
All because one was a minority and d oda is from a majority tribe!

Naija!

4 Likes

Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by Goke7: 9:13am On Apr 15, 2016
The reason is simple, fellows in the Niger delta prefer individual money settlement than critical infrastructure that drives development, hence the so called success of the amnesty program. When last did we hear the likes of asari dokubo and others fighting for the development of their region.

They have been settled individually which is what they prefer. Its also evident in the way the calabar rail project is being refused by the region
Re: QUESTIONS For Ex President Ebele Jonathan by harveyspec: 1:11pm On Apr 15, 2016
mightyhazel:
ur wise!

Nigeria is far morethan what we see or feel.
If jona made a tenth of the blunders this present govt is making now,nigeria would have burnt beyond recognition,evn before his first 2 years tenure elapsed.

But look at wots happening in nigeria of today,...very dire situations evryday ...fulani herdsmen carrying on wit impunity,...lack of power and fuel,..skyrocketing prices,..scarcity of goods,..etc,...and yet evrybody is carrying on as tho nuffn spoil. The noisy noisemakers of yesteryears have all turned mute and hoping fervently for turn arounds. These are same ppl dat Criticised bitterly in The past
All because one was a minority and d oda is from a majority tribe!

Naija!

Every oil producing nations are facing tough times, the difference btw them & us is their reserves & buffers they have put in place

Jonathan enjoyed high crude oil sales & did absolutely nothing with it, no refinery, no LNG plant, few completed power plant that weren't even started in his tenure

Now buhari is on the scene with a failed inherited structure & you want Him to perform magic!!! Even if buhari kick started a refinery project or LNG project or power plant project, it will take a minimum of 3yrd before you talk of commissioning

To whom much is given, much is expected. Nigeria enjoyed the highest crude revenue in Jonathan's time. the dollar issue & fuel has nothing to do with buhari, it has everything to do with the system that even preceded Jonathan's administration but he did nothing to correct or put the mechanism in place for correction to take place

If he had done some of these things, it would have been a lot easier on us now

(1) (Reply)

Fayose Angry As He Commissions Hunters To Kill "Unknown Herdsmen" - Watch Video / Flash: FG Directs Banks To Recall Sacked Workers / Ex-minister, Jumoke Akinjide On The Run Over N650M Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.