Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own (35202 Views)

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan:the Most Foolish Politician In Nigeria / Do You Know That Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Isn't Ijaw? / 200 Achievement Of Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by iamakbar(m): 1:11pm On Jun 13, 2017
Foresight is one of the major attributes of leadership. You also must lead by example and in Nigeria where government is the biggest spender, projects initiated should be people oriented and achievable with direct positive impact on the community especially the less privileged.

One such example of this project is the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass Calabar, which was conceived by the erstwhile Governor of Cross Rivers State ( Senator Liyel Imoke).

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan bypass Calabar, was commissioned by the Ex-President Jonathan in February 2015, the 7km dual carriage way starts from Atibo roundabout and terminates at the Lemna road, with a flyover and an interchange. This project was initially thought to be unachievable, because of the terrain. Initially a single carriage way terminated at FGGC School in Calabar just after the SSS headquarters because after the FGGC section was a mangrove swamp that spammed over 5km, with thick forest infested with reptiles.

The project was kicked off in 2012 by the state government after careful procurement process and adhering to strict due process procedure; and guidelines, various international companies suggested deck on pile, etc, thereby escalating the project beyond the reach and budget of the state which was struggling with paucity of funds issues and it was awarded to an indigenous firm – Sermatech Nigeria Ltd. at a fraction of the cost, because the procedure adopted for the construction of the road through the swamp was completely innovative and carefully thought through, with the guidance and the close monitoring of a very highly seasoned Consultant – Engr. Bassey Ekanem of Abeno associates and the strong supervision and encouragement of the technical/ engineering crew at the state Ministry of Works, Hon. Leghon Idagbo and Engr. Godwin Akeke. To this end therefore, huge stabilization culverts were introduced to carry water across at every 50 meters, massive sand fill was initiated, and used to capture the swamp, before covering the carriage way with geotextile and geogrid materials which acted as an anti-porous filter membrane and a reinforced barrier, thereafter a 200cm of hardcore was spread all through the carriage way, compacted on to the reinforced membrane ( geogrid), and laid over by 200cm of stone base, then specified binder and wearing course of asphalt, the rest, they say is history.

The impact of this bypass on the traffic from the cement factory through the main town cannot be imagined; neither can the convenience be quantified. This bypass has opened up a new city in Calabar, both residential ( public & private) and industrial. To date all the present administration’s pilot projects have been located on the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan bypass in Calabar – from the Garment factory to the Rice Mill and the pharmaceutical industry, all pet projects of Senator ( Prof) Ben Ayade, the Governor of Cross Rivers State. It is pertinent to note that Sermatech is an indigenous contractor and 2 years after commissioning Liyel Imoke’s signature project, the contractor has not yet been paid. Recently the bypass was visited by the acting president Prof. Yemi Osinbajo to commission and inspect other projects in the area. All these projects are only possible because of the creation of the bypass by Sermatech Nigeria Limited.

This is unfair and unacceptable, paucity of funds should not be an excuse, since billion naira projects have been sited on that same road that has been paid for, in order to support Nigerian owned businesses, keep 100s of Nigerians gainfully employed in this time of recession we urge the government to honour and pay outstanding invoices to the indigenous contractor that performed this feat since government is a continuum.

God bless Cross River State
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://thenationonlineng.net/goodluck-ebele-jonathan-bypass-calabar/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by MrHighSea: 1:27pm On Jun 13, 2017
DThe impact of that project on the lives of the people is enormous. That byroad encourages me to travel to calabar during xmas carnival. The ingenuity of Abeno Associates is well applauded. I was surprise to see the steadfastness on the side of the personnel of ministry of works unlike the lousy way things were done during the construction of its House of Assembly complex. They say hardwork pays, but, in this country you work harder to get your paycheque after due service has been offered. It should'nt be so. Cross Riverians will be so disappointed to know that Sermatech is still been owed for this project.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by NwaAmaikpe: 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
shocked

1 Like

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Godprotectigbos(f): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
d
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by yeyeboi(m): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
You k
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Evablizin(f): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
Chai they should try and pay them nah,they worked for the money,is not fair at all this is 2 years and some months now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Aromas: 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
Na so
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Lothario(m): 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
We should all know this was an avenue to waste money
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Sunnycliff(m): 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
Lack of Sustainability in Project management in this country, the recipe for a failed nation!
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by madridguy(m): 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
tongue
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by olahero(m): 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
Okay.
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Hopeful20100: 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2017
Jonathan was a purposeful and visionary leader. He did a lot in 5 yrs that no Nigerian leader has ever done. Yet he was chased out from power by North and SW. I'll never forgiver SW for how they rubbish this man...go back and look at Nairaland in 2015 before the election. Today you have your Buhari, going to 3 yrs now, what has he done? Everything is upside down, there is hunger in the country, chaos, division, hate, all forms of agitations mainly on how he polarized the country, he has not visited SE since he was elected nor Niger Delta; only Cross River on the highway, yet he has visited over 50 countries. What kind of president is that? Name me one major project in federal, state or local government level we could say will be his legacy or remembered for? NONE. I can name you over 20 projects by GEJ...I'm talking about hefty, landmark projects!

You hardly hear this: the massive, contemporary Terminal 2 at Muritala Mohammed airport Lagos approved and funded by Jonathan. When I saw this structure I was shocked and asked the cab who is a yorubaa man, who funded this project? He said Jonathan approved it because I couldn't believe Jonathan will build such modern structure in SW but he did because Tribalism is not in his blood. See pics..

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Reference(m): 1:36pm On Jun 13, 2017
But is Sermantech not a Liyel Imoke plc....anyway the said road had developed serious structural integrity problems....during the last rains.
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Perfectaogwoc(m): 1:36pm On Jun 13, 2017
Well done Sir

1 Like

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by MrCoker: 1:38pm On Jun 13, 2017
Won't comment undecided
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Emitrix42(m): 1:40pm On Jun 13, 2017
Do what you can do with what is available in your pockets,.,.,,, BIG EYE PEOPLE
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by adewuyiade: 1:40pm On Jun 13, 2017
Re open Lautech osinbajo and tinubu
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2017
The budget has been passrd so let's see if the contractor will be paid
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by eleojo23: 1:44pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hopeful20100:
Jonathan was a purposeful and visionary leader. He did a lot in 5 yrs that no Nigerian leader has ever done. Yet he was chased out from power by North and SW. I'll never forgiver SW for how they rubbish this man...go back and look at Nairaland in 2015 before the election. Today you have your Buhari, what has he done? Everything is upside down, there is hunger in the country, chaos, division, hate, all forms of agitations, he has not visited SE since he was elected nor Niger Delta; only Cross River, yet he has visited over 50 countries. What kind of president is that? Name me one major project in federal, state or local government level we could say will be his legacy or remembered for? NONE. I can name you over 20 projects by GEJ.

Summary: Buhari is a disaster that waited for 12 years to happen.

Smh

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by MARYchiells(f): 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2017
When you trust Nigerian politicians and invest all you have as a contractor, you need a pastor or an imam to back you up with one year fasting and prayers in order to get your pay. Even Nairalanders' comments may not solve the issue.

1 Like

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by enigma2007(m): 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
The budget has been passrd so let's see if the contractor will be paid

It is not a federal project... The state govt should pay up!

2 Likes

Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by enigma2007(m): 1:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
Why are some people this wicked? The state govt should pls pay the contractor his due...
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by jashar(f): 1:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
smiley

There should be continuity of projects for long term sustainability and development. I like this initiative, but would it have happened if the new Governor had come from an opposing party?

I doubt it....

Case in point: Ogun State...
angry angry angry
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by MediumStout(m): 1:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
mrganchi096:
the way i ball

Scammer
Re: The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own by nextstep(m): 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hopeful20100:
Jonathan was a purposeful and visionary leader. He did a lot in 5 yrs that no Nigerian leader has ever done. Yet he was chased out from power by North and SW. I'll never forgiver SW for how they rubbish this man...go back and look at Nairaland in 2015 before the election. Today you have your Buhari, going to 3 yrs now, what has he done? Everything is upside down, there is hunger in the country, chaos, division, hate, all forms of agitations mainly on how he polarized the country, he has not visited SE since he was elected nor Niger Delta; only Cross River on the highway, yet he has visited over 50 countries. What kind of president is that? Name me one major project in federal, state or local government level we could say will be his legacy or remembered for? NONE. I can name you over 20 projects by GEJ...I'm talking about hefty, landmark projects!

Sadly, the legacy this man will be remembered for is how divisive and regressive he was. Supervised two recessions in his times as leader.
Even my Northern friends are grumbling that this man should not be retained in 2019. Of all the candidate the North could have fielded, his is a choice they, and we, regret. Even if we were to give him credit for slowing down Boko Haram and slowing down corruption, he hasn't really addressed the issues that cause these plagues: education and industrialization in the North, and diversification.

22 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Is Fine , Stop Asking About His Whereabouts- Abdulkadir Erkah[video] / Atiku To Saraki, Amaechi, Goje: Return To PDP, Rebuild Nigeria. / Nkeiruka Onyejeocha Loses Re-election To Lp's Ogah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.