Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,236 members, 7,839,249 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally (43272 Views)

Ten Equations That Changed The World / 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) / 35 Common Equations In Chemistry That You Must Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by sharrp: 8:46pm On Apr 16, 2016
dotun4luv:
Mathematics is all around us, and it has shaped our understanding of the world in countless ways.

In 2013, mathematician and science author Ian Stewart published a book on 17 Equations That Changed The World. We recently came across this convenient table on Dr. Paul Coxon's twitter account by mathematics tutor and blogger Larry Phillips that summarizes the equations. (Our explanation of each is below):

Here is a little bit more about these wonderful equations that have shaped mathematics and human history:
http://www.mavenvibe.com/2016/04/13/17-equations-that-changed-the-world-totally/
I think leisbinz should be giving credit too for calculus .
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by 9jatatafo(m): 8:53pm On Apr 16, 2016
Love some of those equations.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Edijana2015(m): 8:55pm On Apr 16, 2016
Wow! I love this I am familiar with 16 of the equations but have not come across equation 14. Please I need a reference @op
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by sisisioge: 8:55pm On Apr 16, 2016
Thank you Jesus...for the days of strenuous mathematics are behind me. Whew!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by engrchykae(m): 8:57pm On Apr 16, 2016
Engineers knows better,if u aren't an engr.,u can't comprehend.
But let me tell u a secret ur cleric won't tell you.
MATHEMATICS IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE HOLY GODS.
OLYMPUS SPEAK NUMBERS NOT WORDS THEN ENLIGHTENED MEN DECODE THE NUMBERS INTO WORDS FOR ORDINARY MEN JUST AS A COMPUTER TRANSLATES NUMBERS INTO WORDS.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Lordbinsmar: 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
zikray:
What have we benefited from all these equations in Africa...and why must equations of ancient days still rule us till today... why haven't we the present generation formulated ours...rather we are here applauding dead men's equations.lobish
you don't re invent the wheel.those equations that you called dead man equations where put together by thousands of brilliant minds and most of them dedicated the whole of their life time for the development of science.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nobody: 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
The navier stokes equation was used in the girl's hair in animated film "Tangled"
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Fatherson: 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
The equation for compound interest is the most important equation in the whole world.

It explains why the rich are rich and the poor are poor. Understand this equation and put it into practice and you are on your way to wealth. I really think it is the foundation of capitalism.

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Ernest19: 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
all dis I love maths I love words who d tin Don elp. abi una Neva sabi say garri na #700 now.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 16, 2016
johnydon22:
Mathematics is the language of the universe and the oil by which science is eaten!!!.

While Einsteins relativity E=mc2 explained most of the mechanisms of our macro world it falls short in the quantum world or even a blackhole.

I also wonder why Newton's second law of motion is not there, it explains a lot to us about motion we experience everyday F=ma

anyway hopeful string theory will deduct an equation that unifies everything!!!
Not just those, ground breaking theorem like fuzzy logic set theory by Zadeh and backward propagation by wood and Co. Life is math and math is life

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 16, 2016
I hate maths especially ODE but this is cool lol
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:05pm On Apr 16, 2016
I just cant imagine life without my precious mathematics. Maths is part of our life.
All scientific inventions/innovations were the product of mathematical logics, theorem and practicals.
The sooner we realise that math control everything we do, the better.

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by patwilly(m): 9:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
Schrödinger's equation in my 300level electrical engineering material course burnt some brain cells I haven't recovered till date. You stood the risk of being abnormal at the end of proving those equations.

4 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Heromaniaa: 9:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
Gaborone:

I'm sure the numbers tied to your Bank account don't bore you.
grin
They bore me too, so l got an accountant to deal with it.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Heromaniaa: 9:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
Gaborone:

grin
They bore me too, so l got an accountant to deal with it.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Heromaniaa: 9:09pm On Apr 16, 2016
Gaborone:

grin
They bore me too, so l got an accountant to deal with em.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by gidjah(m): 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2016
aiikay:
Mathematics is actually very interesting. However the real mathematics of some of these equations were never learnt.
Love maths so dearly but never understood things like the Schrödinger's Wave Equation.
that equation almost got me mad way back in the early 90's.I was always studying books ahead of me,even while in the uni,this made me quite abnormal up till date .But mathematics is Just it !!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Truckpusher(m): 9:11pm On Apr 16, 2016
These Mathematical equations rumbled the walls of the Roman Catholic Church empire and gave birth to Protestantism that became the mother of apostasy in the religious world. Pentecostal churches are meant for the poor , unintelligent and gullible Africans.

Thank God I'm not a religious iidiot.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Tellemall: 9:13pm On Apr 16, 2016
dotun4luv:
Read more detail about each equation http://www.mavenvibe.com/2016/04/13/17-equations-that-changed-the-world-totally/

Fourier analysis, though. embarassed

That one was a killer.

Everything Euler is just beautiful.

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by banio: 9:14pm On Apr 16, 2016
Special equations. Thank God I know some
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by gidjah(m): 9:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
princey83:

Newton, Schroedinger, Einstein, Boltzmann, Maxwell, Gauss are Physicists.
Unfortunately a Physicists or an engineer approaches zero without the language of science which is mathematics.
yea yea you are pretty correct,the Bed rock of science is Mathematics,without which no other comes close,if you go further closer to Further Mathematics,then you will appreciate Mathematics.I was in the Aviation and Aeronautics,that's when I saw the basic analysis and interpretation of most science Language called Mathematics,I amost ran mad in Ghana and South Africa.Maths is Real!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Captain001(m): 9:19pm On Apr 16, 2016
Einstein's law of relativity leads the pack. That equation can do almost anything.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Temmi001: 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2016
johnydon22:
Mathematics is the language of the universe and the oil by which science is eaten!!!.

While Einsteins relativity E=mc2 explained most of the mechanisms of our macro world it falls short in the quantum world or even a blackhole.

I also wonder why Newton's second law of motion is not there, it explains a lot to us about motion we experience everyday F=ma

anyway hopeful string theory will deduct an equation that unifies everything!!!
Unifying everything? The Lucasian Professor comes to mind
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by gidjah(m): 9:28pm On Apr 16, 2016
patwilly:
Schrödinger's equation in my 300level electrical engineering material course burnt some brain cells I haven't recovered till date. You stood the risk of being abnormal at the end of proving those equations.
I am still abnormal till date after going full length in to shrodinger and Fourier.but for now me have dropped books o!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Stanbeto: 9:31pm On Apr 16, 2016
Will be a great Maths teacher one day
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by TeamSimple(m): 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
SmartMugu:
See the years listed. Back then people could sit down and think. Today's generation waste away on twitter, Facebook, NL or even on their cellphones taking selfies.

The news back then would be the big thing these great people came up with. Today, the news is s'tupid topics like what davido/wiz kid/ini edo/linda etc wore to church last sunday. Who cares?

These listed great people obviously pave the way for others to even know how to count whatever they think they're worth.

Indomie generation.
Leave story, you are part of the generation. Who you epp? Wetin you develop?

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
Fourier Transformation all the way...basics for FTIR spectroscopy. Dispertive IR sucks...
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by SmartMugu: 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
TeamSimple:

Leave story, you are part of the generation. Who you epp? Wetin you develop?
Who be this one? Who know ur ancestors? Who those wey create u epp?
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Danfuster(m): 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
maths the best thing that's happened to man kind.

Did you notice all the feminist Wanna be no surface for here... All they know how to do is create some stupid logic.. smart mouth bitaches
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nusaf: 9:42pm On Apr 16, 2016
ziego:
Mathematics and statistics are like six and half a dozen.

No sir. They may look similar but never the same.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Nusaf: 9:47pm On Apr 16, 2016
zikray:
What have we benefited from all these equations in Africa...and why must equations of ancient days still rule us till today... why haven't we the present generation formulated ours...rather we are here applauding dead men's equations.lobish
Knowing mathematics is an end on its own.

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by profem1(m): 9:52pm On Apr 16, 2016
Without maths there is no life!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Port-Harcourt Teacher Beats 11-Year-Old Special-Needs Student (Disturbing Photos / How Nigerians Are Getting Teaching Jobs In UAE / Is Anatomy A Good Course To Study????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.