Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,324 members, 7,850,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:24 PM

17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally (43296 Views)

Ten Equations That Changed The World / 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) / 35 Common Equations In Chemistry That You Must Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by ziego(m): 12:23am On Apr 17, 2016
Nusaf:

No sir. They may look similar but never the same.

I actually never said they are the same.

Did I say they are the same?
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by dotun4luv(m): 1:13am On Apr 17, 2016
kurt09:
Breaking News: One painter of garri is #500. Op, please solve this problem.

The problem is not well posed.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Analysiscorner: 1:24am On Apr 17, 2016
patwilly:
Schrödinger's equation in my 300level electrical engineering material course burnt some brain cells I haven't recovered till date. You stood the risk of being abnormal at the end of proving those equations.
Why does one need to prove those equations?
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by SmartMugu: 1:31am On Apr 17, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
I am developing an almighty formula for measuring the rate of twerking...how can I do this if not from observing twerk videos?
Good luck bro. I love it when people think of something and go throught with it.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Geofavor(m): 1:37am On Apr 17, 2016
ayokunlei:

Geo.favor must hear this cool
hehe. Interesting list, I must say. Our educational system, though, has succeeded in making us not see how most of these equations apply to the physical world (which is why I do my own underground studygrin).

Most of us just plug in the equations and insert numbers to get numeric answers, without really understanding the concepts behind them. Well, I don't blame us; I blame our educational system: the type of teaching and exams they set encourage it.

Maths begins to bore me when I can't explain it to myself with words. This is why physics is much more fun cool.

My best equation on that list is Eistein's mass-conversion-to-energy equation: E = mc2.. Simple, yet very informative.

Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by bezimo(m): 1:57am On Apr 17, 2016
I love maths.

Chaos theory!!!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by ogaontop(m): 2:17am On Apr 17, 2016
Maths Is Fun
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by ohenhen1: 4:37am On Apr 17, 2016
1. Relativity
2. Wave theory
3. Gravity
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by slimiyke(m): 5:27am On Apr 17, 2016
martinsaba:
Equation 14 is what rules d world now,QUANTUM MECHANICS- (energy,electronics,and other miniaturization), I can relate with all the equations, I don't regret studying INDUSTRIAL PHYSICS

I really have some respect for you bro....industrial physicists rule the world when it comes figure/ numbers and numerical analysis
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Lordbinsmar: 5:43am On Apr 17, 2016
Jaymaestro:
some would say Nikola Tesla was greater than even Newton and Einstein but never got enough publicity chance. I wonder if this be true ...
Tesla is more of an engineer than a scientist,but i can call him the Einstein of engineering.he has hundreds of patents and discovered a lot of inventions which include the alternating current,rotating magnetic field,wireless electric current transmission e.t.c and he his the father of wireless signal transmission even though Thomas Edison and Marconi stole his patent(with the help of U.S. Government).in terms of intelligence he is on the same level with likes of Newton,Einstein and other great scientists.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by kaybee09(m): 6:48am On Apr 17, 2016
SmartMugu:
See the years listed. Back then people could sit down and think. Today's generation waste away on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, NL, several random blogs or even on their personal cellphones taking selfies.

The same amount of time some chose to waste on social media is probably same as what these legends needed to think of something new to help others for centuries to come.

The news back then would be the big things these great people came up with. Today, the news are s'tupid topics like what davido/wiz kid/ini edo/linda etc wore to church last Sunday, the color of their gate, name brand of their purse, who flew on a private jet vs who flew first-class, who can shake their bum bum faster than the other, who killed a snake, a rabbit etc. Who cares?

These listed great people obviously paved the way for others to even know how to count whatever change these over-rated people think they're worth today.

Indomie generation with Indomie brains.
I love this piece., *thumbs up

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Adaeze003(f): 6:58am On Apr 17, 2016
Familiar with 11...

Shrödingers equation was almost a nightmare... first I didn't like the name grin then the lecturer wasn't helping... students be like "but sir!" lecturer still be writing plenty on the board... next thing you know, final equation is on the board! Beht how?!
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Adaeze003(f): 7:02am On Apr 17, 2016
SmartMugu:
See the years listed. Back then people could sit down and think. Today's generation waste away on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, NL, several random blogs or even on their personal cellphones taking selfies.

The same amount of time some chose to waste on social media is probably same as what these legends needed to think of something new to help others for centuries to come.

The news back then would be the big things these great people came up with. Today, the news are s'tupid topics like what davido/wiz kid/ini edo/linda etc wore to church last Sunday, the color of their gate, name brand of their purse, who flew on a private jet vs who flew first-class, who can shake their bum bum faster than the other, who killed a snake, a rabbit etc. Who cares?

These listed great people obviously paved the way for others to even know how to count whatever change these over-rated people think they're worth today.

Indomie generation with Indomie brains.

But since you are not a part of this indomie generation, what have you invented? Where is your own mathematical formula? Or what advancement have you made in your field??
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by agog: 7:14am On Apr 17, 2016
This is soo super
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by igwegeorgiano(m): 7:20am On Apr 17, 2016
where are the mathematicians? come let delibrate on this

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by beejaay: 7:43am On Apr 17, 2016
dotun4luv:
Mathematics is all around us, and it has shaped our understanding of the world in countless ways.

In 2013, mathematician and science author Ian Stewart published a book on 17 Equations That Changed The World. We recently came across this convenient table on Dr. Paul Coxon's twitter account by mathematics tutor and blogger Larry Phillips that summarizes the equations. (Our explanation of each is below):

Here is a little bit more about these wonderful equations that have shaped mathematics and human history:
http://www.mavenvibe.com/2016/04/13/17-equations-that-changed-the-world-totally/
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by martinsaba: 8:22am On Apr 17, 2016
slimiyke:

I really have some respect for you bro....industrial physicists rule the world when it comes figure/ numbers and numerical analysis

SALUTATIONS BRO
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by jaspertosin: 8:51am On Apr 17, 2016
Who mathematics help?
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by sanjayphy(m): 10:10am On Apr 17, 2016
hmmm, this reminds me of Dept of Physics, UI.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by freshinko: 10:38am On Apr 17, 2016
I will only make peace with mathematics when people begin to accept my own formula. Until then, maths is a dam headache to me.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by prodigy97(m): 10:44am On Apr 17, 2016
I hate mathematics with passion, glad am done with it
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Oyehomie(m): 11:35am On Apr 17, 2016
Can relate well with 10 of ds ..av neva seen dat chaos theory b4 though.....
God Bless Engineering...God made ma life meaningful nd colourful tru Mathematics.... I danm love it...
For dat ''chaos theory'' tnx...i learn .
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by SmartMugu: 12:46pm On Apr 17, 2016
Adaeze003:

But since you are not a part of this indomie generation, what have you invented? Where is your own mathematical formula? Or what advancement have you made in your field??
Must everyone be inventors? Why can't I just be a person that values and supports people that can actually use their brains more than the indomie personalities we read about everyday here on NL?
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by SmartMugu: 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
I am developing an almighty formula for measuring the rate of twerking...how can I do this if not from observing twerk videos?
Nothing wrong with doing research bro, as long as it's fruitful to you and the rest of the world afterwards.
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by GURION: 2:50pm On Apr 17, 2016
johnydon22:
Mathematics is the language of the universe and the oil by which science is eaten!!!.

While Einsteins relativity E=mc2 explained most of the mechanisms of our macro world it falls short in the quantum world or even a blackhole.

I also wonder why Newton's second law of motion is not there, it explains a lot to us about motion we experience everyday F=ma

anyway hopeful string theory will deduct an equation that unifies everything!!!

The recent discovery in early Feb, of a means to observe and measure gravitational waves is probably the biggest metric currently aiding scientists in the study of the nature and origin of blackholes.

The relativity theorem had earlier predicted the existence of this gravitational waves.

I strongly believe this simple-looking relativity equation, E=mc2 , which already has hundreds of other formulae derived from it, is the MOST influential yet....increased advancement in design of observatory tools will open our eyes more to this formula's relevance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Sambest2(m): 3:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
killsmith:
formulars dont mean a thing to me....the proofs,corollary,derivations thrill me.....e.g heine-borel theorem ,hahn-banach theorem etc
Topology and Functional Analysis. Recall my days....

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by patwilly(m): 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2016
Analysiscorner:

Why does one need to prove those equations?
Search Me. I never got round to knowing why then. But now, I realise they are just a small part of mainstream knowledge one in the sciences should know and apply. key word here is Apply! But the Nigerian educational system messed it up as usual.
Even Maxwell equatilns- A whole lot of lecturers in the academia don't understand why and how those equations are even important in the first place. LA cram LA pour. its pathetic my brother.

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by martinsaba: 6:58am On Apr 18, 2016
GURION:

The recent discovery in early Feb, of a means to observe and measure gravitational waves is probably the biggest metric currently aiding scientists in the study of the nature and origin of blackholes.

The relativity theorem had earlier predicted the existence of this gravitational waves.

I strongly believe this simple-looking relativity equation, E=mc2 , which already has hundreds of other formulae derived from it, is the MOST influential yet....increased advancement in design of observatory tools will open our eyes more to this formula's relevance.

E=MC2 has to do with claSsical physics, we are at the quantum era, which sees particle as not dual in nature
Re: 17 Mathematics Equations That Changed The World Totally by Richardfred(m): 11:55am On Apr 18, 2016
These are the great legend for their own generation/centuries, very nice of them. My own theorem for this generation is still being process am goanna publish it soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Things An Average Person Should Know Offhand... / FUNAAB Workers Fry Akara, Celebrate Suspension Of Vice Chancellor (Photo) / Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.