Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,971 members, 7,810,689 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Hausa Man Must Be Emir - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa Man Must Be Emir (26985 Views)

"Buhari Until We Die, No Igbo Will Rule This Country Again": Hausa Man On 2019 / Hausa Man Contests For Councillor In Ebonyi Under PDP (Photos) / Man Killed By Hausa Man In Aba Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 12:45pm On May 01, 2016
fallout87:

You are a liar and a fraud.
No true Fulani man would say this crap, because the average Fulani man feels by birthright they are superior to Hausa man. The only reason they would even include "Hausa" in their title is due to political reasons.
A real Fulani man would know while the North always units itself to subdue the south, it is just as divided as the south due to the Fulani's lording over the Hausa, Gwari, Kanufi, etc. There is real tension there, but unlike the foolish Igbo and Yuroba, pride is always set aside for their domination of the center.
Only a Hausa man who is trying to add value to himself will say such nonsense or someone who knows nothing about the Fulani mind.
You are a FRAUD.

Too much sublimation of the Fulani in here. From reading you, one might think that the "Fulani" is an otherworldly entity.
People from the Northwest tend to identify much more as Hausa-Fulani, because although they are two distinct ethnicities, the culture has become more or less the same. The seven traditional Hausa states are located in the Northeast, which was also the cradle of the reformist movement in the 19th century.
While people from the Northeast (Adamawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe...) will identify as "Fulani" because the Fulani settlements there were not in contact with historical Hausa towns. It's as simple as that. People from the Northwest are more linked culturally and genetically with the Hausas, compared to people from the Northeast.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Huasamafia1: 1:07pm On May 01, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Too much sublimation of the Fulani in here. From reading you, one might think that the "Fulani" is an otherworldly entity.
People from the Northwest tend to identify much more as Hausa-Fulani, because although they are two distinct ethnicities, the culture has become more or less the same. The seven traditional Hausa states are located in the Northeast, which was also the cradle of the reformist movement in the 19th century.
While people from the Northeast (Adamawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe...) will identify as "Fulani" because the Fulani settlements there were not in contact with historical Hausa towns. It's as simple as that. People from the Northwest are more linked culturally and genetically with the Hausas, compared to people from Bleep you foothe Northeast.Bleep you foolanis we will not forgive you for robing the Hausa governor in Gombe yet you claim we are one.... We will take back our land from these cows

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 2:09pm On May 01, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I've been a little bewildered by your previous submissions. I just didn't get you, until now. Like the current English Royals, they are English but of Germanic descent, no?

All European royalty are related and ultimately descended from a Swedish King. The British royalty are descended from William the conqueror who was Norman French. So someone like Queen Elizabeth learnt French at home as a first language. The Norman French were Norsemen originally who conquered France, then Britain. They were Vikings. The Vikings are Northern Europe. Sweden, Denmark, Norway but they may be said to be Germanic to an extent but they are not Germans. They are distinct even physically, from Germans.

The Celtic and Germanic genetic make up of people in Britain is 70- 30 in favour of Celtic.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 2:22pm On May 01, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

So what you're saying Is you can't give me a direct answer or any substantial evidence, only theories you pulled out of God knows where. Smh

I couldnt careless about who sits on the throne of Illorin, little small fry. Traditional rulers these days are irrelevant.

They are custodians of tradition, they act as customary Judges and draw huge salaries, have police orderlies, are made Pro Chancellors and etc. They are still relevant but not as much as in the past.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:

They are custodians of tradition, they act as customary Judges and draw huge salaries, have police orderlies, are made Pro Chancellors and etc. They are still relevant but not as much as in the past.

When kings start setting taxes and being in charge of armies and what not, then you can start going bat shiit crazy over who reigns supreme. Nowadays theyre more of a necessary burden so as not to forget our past.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by fallout87: 2:30pm On May 01, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

While people from the Northeast (Adamawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe...) will identify as "Fulani" because the Fulani settlements there were not in contact with historical Hausa towns. It's as simple as that. People from the Northwest are more linked culturally and genetically with the Hausas, compared to people from the Northeast.

I identify Fulani as threats to One Nigeria, not as a diety. It is THEY who see themselves as other worldy. It is the Fulani who feel Nigeria is their birthright as conquerors.

That is how I know there must not be any true Fulani men on NL (or any who have read the past pages). None of them would ever lower themselves as to be Hausa, for them Hausa, Gwari, Kurama, Kanufi, etc are all below Fulani and are servant to Fulani. It is the southerners who are so foolish they think everyone from the north is Fulani because of the similar culture and numbers and influence of the Hausa there. This isn't true. There is much conflict and division. Have you seen a Fulani declare or tweet about taking revenge on killing a Hausa or Kanufi man? Never. However, El Rufai stated specifically they will exact revenge if even the least of a Fulani is killed.

It is only slowpokes who think every aboki or Northern is Fulani.

No Fulani man will deny other Northerns their desire to relate to their tribe. Why? I know Benin men who grew up in Yoruba land and they identify themselves as Yoruba. Most like to identify with the ruler, the majority or the winner. It is no surprise.

However with that said, they can identify with them all they want; they can never be their equal. At least in the eyes of the Fulani man. As I started before, the north is divided just like the south, however unlike the south they put differences aside to rule over the foolish south. The South is too obsessed with harming each other they allow this nonsense and it has always been Nigeria's undoing.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:36pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:

All European royalty are related and ultimately descended from a Swedish King. The British royalty are descended from William the conqueror who was Norman French. So someone like Queen Elizabeth learnt French at home as a first language. The Norman French were Norsemen originally who conquered France, then Britain. They were Vikings. The Vikings are Northern Europe. Sweden, Denmark, Norway but they may be said to be Germanic to an extent but they are not Germans. They are distinct even physically, from Germans.

The Celtic and Germanic genetic make up of people in Britain is 70- 30 in favour of Celtic.

You have even gone too far back in time. I'm familiar with the story of the Anglo-saxons and their eventual Norman French conquerors.

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, is a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. But Philip did away with this title before his marriage in 1947, perhaps to deflect off anti German sentiments immediately after World War II. In like manner, the queen herself is a member of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but George V understandably renamed it the House of Windsor in 1917 during World War I. So both husband and wife have German ancestry.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 3:39pm On May 01, 2016
fallout87:

I identify Fulani as threats to One Nigeria, not as a diety. It is THEY who see themselves as other worldy. It is the Fulani who feel Nigeria is their birthright as conquerors.

That is how I know there must not be any true Fulani men on NL (or any who have read the past pages). None of them would ever lower themselves as to be Hausa, for them Hausa, Gwari, Kurama, Kanufi, etc are all below Fulani and are servant to Fulani. It is the southerners who are so foolish they think everyone from the north is Fulani because of the similar culture and numbers and influence of the Hausa there. This isn't true. There is much conflict and division. Have you seen a Fulani declare or tweet about taking revenge on killing a Hausa or Kanufi man? Never. However, El Rufai stated specifically they will exact revenge if even the least of a Fulani is killed.

It is only slowpokes who think every aboki or Northern is Fulani.

No Fulani man will deny other Northerns their desire to relate to their tribe. Why? I know Benin men who grew up in Yoruba land and they identify themselves as Yoruba. Most like to identify with the ruler, the majority or the winner. It is no surprise.

However with that said, they can identify with them all they want; they can never be their equal. At least in the eyes of the Fulani man. As I started before, the north is divided just like the south, however unlike the south they put differences aside to rule over the foolish south. The South is too obsessed with harming each other they allow this nonsense and it has always been Nigeria's undoing.

Pls stop saying what is not true, if there's any element of division among the North is among religious not ethnic lines, especially in the Northwest from where most prominent Nigerians of Northern extraction Hailed. What you don't Understand about the Hausa and Fulani in Northern Nigeria is that we watch the back of each other. Each of us recognises the talents of each other where one is lacking the other step up for him. The Hausas are naturally talented in Economics and commerce an area the Fulani are lacking, thats why u see most of the business class of Northern extraction are Hausas. On their part the Fulani are natural leaders and clerics that's why you see most people representing the North at both the Federal and state levels are of Fulani descent. You can't say their is division among the Northerners when every Northerner can live and earn a living anywhere in the north without any hindrance bc of his ethnicity. Though Our actions and words show that we are United that doesn't mean we don't have differences, know dat our mutual understandings by far surpass our differences, infact our differences are negligible to the extent that you can't see them, and now some of you out of jealousy are hell bent on bringing a wedge between us. We are responding to this thread because we donot want others that are not Northerners to think that what you are saying is the truth not because we are afraid your actions will cause disaffection among us.

Besides, pls help me define a true Fulani, since you say there's not one on NL.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 3:46pm On May 01, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

You have even gone too far back in time. I'm familiar with the story of the Anglo-saxons and their eventual Norman French conquerors.

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, is a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. But Philip did away with this title before his marriage in 1947, perhaps to deflect off anti German sentiments immediately after World War II. In like manner, the queen herself is a member of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but George V understandably renamed it the House of Windsor in 1917 during World War I. So both husband and wife have German ancestry.

Everybody in Britain have German ancestry but Celtic ancestry is 70 percent of the mix. So the British are Celts speaking a Germanic language, thesame way Yorubas are Ife people speaking a Kemitic Egyptian language.

The British royals are Norman French in origin. It does not matter whether it is patrilineal or matrilineal, they are Norman French. If I were William the conqueror who was crowned English King and I had only one daughter, she would be Queen after me, will get married, may be to a Greek or Yoruba man, and when she dies, one of the children will continue the line. They will still be Norman French of Williams the conqueror.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:12pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:

Everybody in Britain have German ancestry but Celtic ancestry is 70 percent of the mix. So the British are Celts speaking a Germanic language, thesame way Yorubas are Ife people speaking a Kemitic Egyptian language.

The British royals are Norman French in origin. It does not matter whether it is patrilineal or matrilineal, they are Norman French. If I were William the conqueror who was crowned English King and I had only one daughter, she would be Queen after me, will get married, may be to a Greek or Yoruba man, and when she dies, one of the children will continue the line. They will still be Norman French of Williams the conqueror.

I'm not divorcing the British Royals from William the Conqueror, neither am I saying that the British are Germans (which would be absurd). I agree with you that majority of them are Celts. I limited my reference to the current English Royals whose ancestor was George Ludwig, ruler of the German state of Hanover. In fact he spoke little English

George I was imported to the British throne in 1714 because of politics. King William III left no heirs, but he had relatives who were Catholics. Therefore, Parliament passed an act that locked out 56 other pretenders to the throne because they were catholic!
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by paddylo1(m): 4:33pm On May 01, 2016
This is an interesting topic.

I think Lawani has done a good job with the information he has provided.

Here are my thoughts

The previous Fulani vs Yoruba war that led to a Fulani Emir in Ilorin is a good histroy lesson but irrelevant in todays world.

Just as the Germans lost in World War 2 and are the leaders today in Europe in terms of economy and enginnering, what matters today is where are the Yorubas in comparison to Fulanis.

If you ask me the difference is quite clear, as you cannot compare education, finance, law, manufacturing and having the economic capital of West Africa to cattle rearing.

We as a nation must forever look to the future using the past as a guide.

To the Fulani i say, elevate your game to the modern world.

Nobody respects a tribe only known for cattle rearing and emirship in a third world nation like Nigeria.

What do we as black people want to contribute to the world today?

The choice is ours.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Super1Star: 4:33pm On May 01, 2016
Kudos to lawani, you have given a new perspective to the Ilorin issue.

I have the Ibadan warriors to blame. After routing the Fulanis or Ilorins in Osogbo/Ikirun and pursuing them down to Ilorin gate, they should have taken it a step further by conquering that city once again.

My only fear is they could have massacred the whole city for treason against Alaafin. Probably they also felt the population willingly converted to Islam, why should they liberate them.

The fact remains, no Army on.planet earth ever conquered an inch of yoruba land. Ilorin was a collaboration between foreigners and the citizens.

Unfortunately for them Ilorin is surrounded by yorubaland with Obas. To the north is Jebba, to the north west is Atakpame in Togo, to the south is Offa, to the SW is Ogbomosho, to the west is Oke-Ogun and to the East is Omu Aran, to the South East is the land of Igbominas and Ekitis and to the North East is Kaaba.

The Emirates is a mere nomenclature chosen by the people as they so wish. The day they are tired of it, they will burn down the palace and probably install an Emperor.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by fallout87: 4:46pm On May 01, 2016
Baaballiyo:

Pls stop saying what is not true, if there's any element of division among the North is among religious not ethnic lines, especially in the Northwest from where most prominent Nigerians of Northern extraction Hailed. What you don't Understand about the Hausa and Fulani in Northern Nigeria is that we watch the back of each other. Each of us recognises the talents of each other where one is lacking the other step up for him. The Hausas are naturally talented in Economics and commerce an area the Fulani are lacking, thats why u see most of the business class of Northern extraction are Hausas. On their part the Fulani are natural leaders and clerics that's why you see most people representing the North at both the Federal and state levels are of Fulani descent. You can't say their is division among the Northerners when every Northerner can live and earn a living anywhere in the north without any hindrance bc of his ethnicity. Though Our actions and words show that we are United that doesn't mean we don't have differences, know dat our mutual understandings by far surpass our differences, infact our differences are negligible to the extent that you can't see them, and now some of you out of jealousy are hell bent on bringing a wedge between us. We are responding to this thread because we donot want others that are not Northerners to think that what you are saying is the truth not because we are afraid your actions will cause disaffection among us.

Besides, pls help me define a true Fulani, since you say there's not one on NL.

All you have done is support everything I said.

First you have pointed out that there is a clear difference between Fulani and Hausa. Thanks, I was saying the same thing.

You supported me again whenyou stated the Fulani put themselves as the rulers, the leaders and the decision makers, the "haves"... While the others are the "have not" which are ruled over by them. How very convenient.

You did lie about one thing though, because it is a lie from the pit of hell that there is no division between northern tribes. The difference is they are united against the south! They will put differences aside for the sake of retaining power. Power at all cost for the north is their aim, but in that north there is a hierarchy and the Fulani see themselves above all not side-by-side.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by fallout87: 4:47pm On May 01, 2016
By the way, I am still waiting for one of you to provide quotes of a Fulani man stating or tweeting he will act out revenge for a Gwari, Kurama, Kanufi, Hausa or any other northern tribesman.

You will sooner find a Yoruba and Igbo man say such before you find that

2 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by naijaking1: 4:47pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:
What year did the Fulani take Ilorin? In which battle? Who led them? When did Afonja go into alliance with any Fulani? A mere Islamic cleric cum Onion seller is what you call a power broker that a whole Aare ona Kakanfo will go into an alliance with? Alimi was serving Afonja, he was not in alliance with him. He was his servant and Alimi never was Oba or Emir in Ilorin, Afonja descendants say he died before Afonja. It was his son that led Ilorin jihadists for some years, his son Abdulsalam but he was a mere Balogun, I believe not an Oba. Read your history very well. No Fulani, Hausa or Nupe army ever occupied Ilorin at any point in the history of Ilorin. Afonja was killed by renegade Yoruba Muslims. Dont come here to be spreading false tales.

I will come in here, because your history is not accurate.
Even standard West African history textbooks-read all over the World, will detail how Alimi maneuvered himself into Afonja's court, advised him to rebel against his king in Oyo, and turned around to oust Afonja himself, when he knew the man no longer had the backing of the might Oyo empire and king.
Your account is at best a weak attempt to modify history.

2 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 5:43pm On May 01, 2016
Super1Star:

I have the Ibadan warriors to blame. After routing the Fulanis or Ilorins in Osogbo/Ikirun and pursuing them down to Ilorin gate, they should have taken it a step further by conquering that city once again.

My only fear is they could have massacred the whole city for treason against Alaafin. Probably they also felt the population willingly converted to Islam, why should they liberate them.

The fact remains, no Army on.planet earth ever conquered an inch of yoruba land. Ilorin was a collaboration between foreigners and the citizens.

Unfortunately for them Ilorin is surrounded by yorubaland with Obas. To the north is Jebba, to the north west is Atakpame in Togo, to the south is Offa, to the SW is Ogbomosho, to the west is Oke-Ogun and to the East is Omu Aran, to the South East is the land of Igbominas and Ekitis and to the North East is Kaaba.

The Emirates is a mere nomenclature chosen by the people as they so wish. The day they are tired of it, they will burn down the palace and probably install an Emperor.

This is how the battle of Osogbo happened, according to the very Yoruba Samuel Johnson. According to this account, the Ibadan army stumbled into a victory, which might explain their reluctance to engage again Ilorin's formidable cavalry.

"When the Ibadan army arrived at the seat of war and saw the situation they had some misgivings as to the probability of success without the aid of Elepo their champion. They could not show their face in the open field for fear of the Ilorin horse, and for about 20 days after their arrival at Osogbo, they also could not fight outside the town thickets.

The Basorun himself having some doubts as to the hopes of success of his generals in the absence of Elepo was much depressed in mind on hearing the news from the seat of war, and he was minded to send Elepo to meet them ; he gave him a cow to worship his god Ori and told him to prepare to join his comrades in the field.

The Ibadan war-chiefs hearing this were fired with jealousy lest the honour of the victory might be his and hence were resolved to risk a battle at all cost. Again and again they held councils of war, and at length they fixed a day for the venture. Still they were afraid to attack the florins during the morning hours, Osogbo being practically in a plain, the Ilorin horse might have the advantage of them with disastrous results : from prudence therefore they resolved to make the attack in the afternoon, as they might be able to hold on until dusk when the florins would no longer be able to use their horses to advantage, or if defeated, the shades of night would assist them in their retreat.

About 2 p.m. the standard of the Ibadan army left the gate of Osogbo for the battlefield. Again, another council of war was held and it was finally resolved that they should not proceed until dark, as it was necessary that their movements be as private as possible. About sunset they were again on the move and the vanguards were instructed to keep a strict watch and arrest anyone suspected as a spy on their movements"
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 6:19pm On May 01, 2016
fallout87:

All you have done is support everything I said.

First you have pointed out that there is a clear difference between Fulani and Hausa. Thanks, I was saying the same thing.

You supported me again whenyou stated the Fulani put themselves as the rulers, the leaders and the decision makers, the "haves"... While the others are the "have not" which are ruled over by them. How very convenient.

You did lie about one thing though, because it is a lie from the pit of hell that there is no division between northern tribes. The difference is they are united against the south! They will put differences aside for the sake of retaining power. Power at all cost for the north is their aim, but in that north there is a hierarchy and the Fulani see themselves above all not side-by-side.

Nobody says Hausa and Fulani are the same; but they're one.

The problem with you is that you are obsessed with the fulani and their leadership qualities (because this quality of theirs is what is giving the south a hard time) that's why you do not see the talents of other Northern tribes because you believe you are superior when you are the leader. Their is no any hierarchy that give the Fulani exclusive power of leadership or Hausa exclusive right for business, each and every one of them naturally gets attracted to what he is capable of doing effectively, just because you are choosen as your class captain that does not make you superior to other members of the class or them inferior to you.

If the North only unite when trying to wrestle power from the south then why is it that we live amicably after the power tussle ?

Tell me a single crisis that happened in the North along ethnic lines between two northern tribes. Along religious lines ? yes many happened but not along tribe or ethnicity. Pls just bc someone is leading a group of ppl most of time don't call him a power monger, born to rule, he looks down on his fellow e.t.c., just asked yourself why is it so and make research.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Super1Star: 6:32pm On May 01, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

This is how the battle of Osogbo happened, according to the very Yoruba Samuel Johnson. According to this account, the Ibadan army stumbled into a victory, which might explain their reluctance to engage again Ilorin's formidable cavalry.

"When the Ibadan army arrived at the seat of war and saw the situation they had some misgivings as to the probability of success without the aid of Elepo their champion. They could not show their face in the open field for fear of the Ilorin horse, and for about 20 days after their arrival at Osogbo, they also could not fight outside the town thickets.

The Basorun himself having some doubts as to the hopes of success of his generals in the absence of Elepo was much depressed in mind on hearing the news from the seat of war, and he was minded to send Elepo to meet them ; he gave him a cow to worship his god Ori and told him to prepare to join his comrades in the field.

The Ibadan war-chiefs hearing this were fired with jealousy lest the honour of the victory might be his and hence were resolved to risk a battle at all cost. Again and again they held councils of war, and at length they fixed a day for the venture. Still they were afraid to attack the florins during the morning hours, Osogbo being practically in a plain, the Ilorin horse might have the advantage of them with disastrous results : from prudence therefore they resolved to make the attack in the afternoon, as they might be able to hold on until dusk when the florins would no longer be able to use their horses to advantage, or if defeated, the shades of night would assist them in their retreat.

About 2 p.m. the standard of the Ibadan army left the gate of Osogbo for the battlefield. Again, another council of war was held and it was finally resolved that they should not proceed until dark, as it was necessary that their movements be as private as possible. About sunset they were again on the move and the vanguards were instructed to keep a strict watch and arrest anyone suspected as a spy on their movements"

Complete your story by posting the routing part, which Ilorin NEVER recovered from.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 6:33pm On May 01, 2016
Super1Star:

Compare Ibadan to Ilorin today and you will see they are no match. Offa was allied with Ibadan as well as Ogbomosho, Ijesa allied with Ilorin during the Kiriji war. The Ibadan did not occupy Ilorin simply because they were fighting on five fronts at thesame time, Ijesa, Ijebu and etc. The Muslims were not removed from Ilorin because the other Yoruba were not united and were fighting each other, then there were Muslims in other Yoruba cities, the Balogun of Iwo was a Muslim, his name was Ali and he was allied with Ibadan, they practiced Sharia as well. The people in Ilorin were afraid of an Ibadan massacre and would not allign with Ibadan if they could avoid such, so they allied with Ijesa who were opponents of Ibadan. The Fulani never invaded Ilorin at any time but at a point, Abdulsalam was the leader and he was Fulani, later Oba Moma who was Afonja, then Oba Sulayman Dan Aliyu who was Ajikobi, he was the one who placed Ilorin under British protection, the one whose father was executed by the Alaafin for treason. So in that wise, Ilorin was on their own as a renegade Yoruba Muslim state not a Fulani one. Iwo was a Yoruba Muslim state as well but they were not renegades as they did not conduct jihads.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 6:38pm On May 01, 2016
fallout87:
By the way, I am still waiting for one of you to provide quotes of a Fulani man stating or tweeting he will act out revenge for a Gwari, Kurama, Kanufi, Hausa or any other northern tribesman.

You will sooner find a Yoruba and Igbo man say such before you find that

hahhaha You see you are in illusion, can you provide the inverse of what you asked ? Or let me put it plainly.

I am waiting for you to provide quotes of a Gwari, Karuma, Kanufi, Hausa or any northern tribesman stating or tweeting he will act out of revenge for a Fulani. You won't get bc we tend to act collectively. Not on ethnic lines.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 6:41pm On May 01, 2016
Super1Star:

Complete your story by posting the routing part, which Ilorin NEVER recovered from.

I posted it two pages ago.
It was your chestbeating that made me post this excerpt.
Anyway, have a good day
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Super1Star: 6:44pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:

Compare Ibadan to Ilorin today and you will see they are no match. Offa was allied with Ibadan as well as Ogbomosho, Ijesa allied with Ilorin during the Kiriji war. The Ibadan did not occupy Ilorin simply because they were fighting on five fronts at thesame time, Ijesa, Ijebu and etc. The Muslims were not removed from Ilorin because the other Yoruba were not united and were fighting each other, then there were Muslims in other Yoruba cities, the Balogun of Iwo was a Muslim, his name was Ali and he was allied with Ibadan, they practiced Sharia as well. The people in Ilorin were afraid of an Ibadan massacre and would not allign with Ibadan if they could avoid such, so they allied with Ijesa who were opponents of Ibadan. The Fulani never invaded Ilorin at any time but at a point, Abdulsalam was the leader and he was Fulani, later Oba Moma who was Afonja, then Oba Sulayman Dan Aliyu who was Ajikobi, he was the one who placed Ilorin under British protection, the one whose father was executed by the Alaafin for treason. So in that wise, Ilorin was on their own as a renegade Yoruba Muslim state not a Fulani one. Iwo was a Yoruba Muslim state as well but they were not renegades as they did not conduct jihads.

Iwo is my home town.

The founder of Iwo was a direct prince from Ife. There was no way they could have turned to renegades, no matter what they could have chosen to worship. Iwo remains the only town that has a quarters in Ile-Ife till today. Their tie to the Yoruba spiritual centre outweighs any religion they could have embraced.

Ilorin's story was simply of renegades like you pointed out. Their saving grace was the fact that the whole yorubaland was locked in a civil war and that was what the treacherous fulanis took advantage of. If only a unit of Oyo Army dealt Ilorin so much eternal blow that they could not expand their Kingdom or emirate beyond Ilorin again, imagine what a united yoruba Army would have done. Maybe they would have placed the head of Dan Fodio on a stake and blot out Sokoto from the surface of the earth.

We have had centuries of trade Relationship with the hausas and other Northern ethnicities before the arrival of the blood thirsty land grabbers from Fouta Jallon.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Rilwayne001: 6:44pm On May 01, 2016
Amina11:

Yoruba people here pls for conscience sake speak the truth why cant a yoruba be the emir of Ilorin ARE ILORIN PEOPLE SLAVES

errrhm! we are not cowards neither are we slaves. we are just waiting for the perfect time to alienate them. lipsrsealed
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Super1Star: 6:49pm On May 01, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

I posted it two pages ago.
It was your chestbeating that made me post this excerpt.
Anyway, have a good day

Chest beating?

An Army was defeated resoundingly in such a manner that they never recovered from the defeat and you are calling it chest beating?

In fact I should be dancing on my head for such a victory and not only beating my chest.

It still remains a fact that, no inch of Yoruba soil was EVER lost in battle.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 6:55pm On May 01, 2016
Super1Star:

Iwo is my home town.

The founder of Iwo was a direct prince from Ife. There was no way they could have turned to renegades, no matter what they could have chosen to worship. Iwo remains the only town that has a quarters in Ile-Ife till today. Their tie to the Yoruba spiritual centre outweighs any religion they could have embraced.

Ilorin's story was simply of renegades like you pointed out. Their saving grace was the fact that the whole yorubaland was locked in a civil war and that was what the treacherous fulanis took advantage of. If only a unit of Oyo Army death Ilorin so much eternal blow that they could not expand their Kingdom or emirate beyond Ilorin again, imagine what a united yoruba Army would have done. Maybe they would have placed the head of Dan Fodio on a stake and blot out Sokoto from the surface of the earth.

We have had centuries of trade Relationship with the hausas and other Northern ethnicities before the arrival of the blood thirsty land grabbers from Fouta Jallon.

The present line of Oluwos are descended from Ooni Luwo Gbaguda, a woman Ooni of Ife who was very successful but Iwo has always been there thousands of years before the Oduduwa dynasty was inaugurated. The word Iyawo meaning wife was coined by Orunmila after he got married after suffering under the Oluwo to marry his daughter. Aya was the word for wife and is still used.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Rilwayne001: 7:05pm On May 01, 2016
naijaking1:

I agree she was confused, but the bigger point is that everybody wants to be identfied with Fulani. Even 100% Hausa born and bred stocks have to at some point claim to be Fulanis in order to access jobs, positions, and even respect

hmmmm!
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Physicist(m): 7:21pm On May 01, 2016
I am a Yoruba man. I really find these discussions interesting. What I can deduce from these are:

Fulani are good at treachery in addition to being good in fighting wars.

Yorubas in general were never completely united in the past, in the present and possibly would never be united in the future. I grew up in Ondo State. As recently as early 1980s, we usually referred to the people in present Oyo state and some parts of Osun state as Yorubas. The others we just referred to as Ekitis, Ijebus, Egbas, Ijeshas, Akokos, Ikales etc.

If Europeans had not come into contact with the Yorubas, the Fulani might have used the same treachery they used in Ilorin to capture other Yoruba towns. On the other hand the Yorubas might have regrouped and captured Ilorin back. In case you doubt this, why did the then Alaafin of Oyo abandon his old capital? It might be tactical retreat to regroup or fear of the Fulanis.

I also believe Yoruba warriors then were very ferocious. For example it seems without the connivance of some Ilorin Yorubas, the Fulanis would never have taken Ilorin. The way the Fulanis dominated the Hausas or some part of the North was only possible in Ilorin.

I think Fulani in general have leadership skills and think into the future not just the present. Every civilian head of the country from the north (Tafawa , Shagari, Yaradua and Buhari) is Fulani or have at least 1 Fulani parent. I do not think this is a coincidence considering the fact that Fulanis are probably not up to 20% of the Northern population.

From my observations, the Fulani are bullies and very cunny who understand how to jostle for and keep power through diplomacy, treacheries and violence. I believe the Fulanis will submit to superior violence. Why are Fulani herdmens not in Sambissa forest? I personally believe the grazing reserves being proposed in the country is part of their calculated plan to jostle for power and domination of the entire country.

I personally think some of Lawani arguments are based on emotions and hearsays and not facts. I understand he is very angry that a Fulani or Hausa is emir of Ilorin. But some of his arguments have no basics. For example saying Kwankwaso is a Yoruba. Even if Kwankwaso DNA is Yoruba, Kwankwaso does not identify as Yoruba. Why force him to be Yoruba? I can see this pattern in many of Lawani arguments though he seems to know Ilorin history very well and is ready to say the truth about Ilorin history and to twist Ilorin history to suits his purpose as he deems fit.

6 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by fallout87: 7:22pm On May 01, 2016
Baaballiyo:

Nobody says Hausa and Fulani are the same; but they're one.

The problem with you is that you are obsessed with the fulani and their leadership qualities (because this quality of theirs is what is giving the south a hard time) that's why you do not see the talents of other Northern tribes because you believe you are superior when you are the leader. Their is no any hierarchy that give the Fulani exclusive power of leadership or Hausa exclusive right for business, each and every one of them naturally gets attracted to what he is capable of doing effectively, just because you are choosen as your class captain that does not make you superior to other members of the class or them inferior to you.

If the North only unite when trying to wrestle power from the south then why is it that we live amicably after the power tussle ?

Tell me a single crisis that happened in the North along ethnic lines between two northern tribes. Along religious lines ? yes many happened but not along tribe or ethnicity. Pls just bc someone is leading a group of ppl most of time don't call him a power monger, born to rule, he looks down on his fellow e.t.c., just asked yourself why is it so and make research.

Every time you post you further prove my point and support what I am saying.

Did I not say the relationship between Fulani and the other tribes is akin to the relationship between master and servant?

Which servant causes his master too much trouble? One that doesn't value his life! Only a foolish person would believe a Kanufi man would be happy with allowing a Fulani to rule him. They just like the Hausa and the rest of the north must submit!

You say Fulani have leadership capabilities as if that is am exclusive trait and no other tribe has them. Fulani bloodlust and powerlust is second to none! This is the drive which has them uproot their opposition. This same vengence they have and determination which had them avenge even an abokii Fula not who has been discarded.

There is no way your father is Fulani. I won't believe it. Not the way you are talking. You must be a Hausa boy or from one of the other smaller tribes. Why do I say that? It is because that is how I have seen some of them reason in order to stick their head in sand to not acknowledge Fulani forced themselves as their masters!

They are attempting to do the same to the entire Nigeria. They will destroy this country. For all the qualities your boast about them having, they only seem to know how to retain power and murder. Tell me what actual good they have done for Nigeria or for their own people with all the power they have obtained?

They are power and blood hungry. Period
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Rilwayne001: 7:22pm On May 01, 2016
Baaballiyo:

[s]

As for you asking for the support of installing a Yoruba Oba in Ilorin; know that, what was taken by the sword can only be retrieve by the sword and now the time of swords is but gone, so just be happy that the British came in time to be abled to stop the capture Oyo by the Fulani, but for their timely intervention today the Alafin would have been of Fulani descent. [/s]

angry One major reason why I don't like you guys is the fact that you reason with your anus and not with your head.

wtf are you trying to say up here

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by fallout87: 7:25pm On May 01, 2016
Baaballiyo:

hahhaha You see you are in illusion, can you provide the inverse of what you asked ? Or let me put it plainly.

I am waiting for you to provide quotes of a Gwari, Karuma, Kanufi, Hausa or any northern tribesman stating or tweeting he will act out of revenge for a Fulani. You won't get bc we tend to act collectively. Not on ethnic lines.

They won't because they would never. Just because Fulani is their master doesn't mean they want to die for them.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 7:27pm On May 01, 2016
naijaking1:

I will come in here, because your history is not accurate.
Even standard West African history textbooks-read all over the World, will detail how Alimi maneuvered himself into Afonja's court, advised him to rebel against his king in Oyo, and turned around to oust Afonja himself, when he knew the man no longer had the backing of the might Oyo empire and king.
Your account is at best a weak attempt to modify history.

Stop deceiving yourself. An onion seller and Quranic teacher was in no position to out manouver the Aare Ona Kakanfo, he commanded no troops and Ilorin was never at any time dominated by non Yorubas. The place was dominated by Yoruba Muslims who killed Afonja. Afonja could not have surrounded himself with majority non Yorubas, since he was not a fool. The Afonja descendants say Alimi died before Afonja and that it was Abdulsalam his son that led a rebellion of Muslims against Afonja when Afonja said the position of Chief Imam is not hereditary, Afonja was killed in the rebellion by mainly Yoruba Muslims. Muslims were attacked across Yoruba land and they fled to Ilorin. Subsequently they delineated themselves under 6 Baloguns of which 4 were Yoruba and conducted jihads from Ilorin, at first led by Abdulsalam, then later by others, the last two or three Obas of Ilorin before 1897 were Yorubas but they could not allign with Ibadan and Oyo who see them as traitors who burnt down Oyo ile. So they dilly dallied, they allied with Ibadan, then with Ijesa until the Ajikobi put them under British protection in 1897. Balogun Ajikobi still have the document. If Fulani had conquered Ilorin, then they would have conquered Bariba and Jebba as well. The Hausa presence in Ilorin is stronger by far than the Fulani, their Balogun is strong while the Balogun Fulani is more or less nominal. So, what is the rationale behind spreading false tales that Ilorin was conquered by the Fulani?. Please stop the lies, let us endeavor to speak truth always. Even if Ilorin was occupied by the Fulani (such never happened). It is still a fact that Oba Sulaiman Dan Aliyu put Ilorin under Britain and he was an Ajikobi man. The document is still with the Ajikobi.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 8:07pm On May 01, 2016
lawani:

Stop deceiving yourself. An onion seller and Quranic teacher was in no position to out manouver the Aare Ona Kakanfo, he commanded no troops and Ilorin was never at any time dominated by non Yorubas. The place was dominated by Yoruba Muslims who killed Afonja. Afonja could not have surrounded himself with majority non Yorubas, since he was not a fool. The Afonja descendants say Alimi died before Afonja and that it was Abdulsalam his son that led a rebellion of Muslims against Afonja when Afonja said the position of Chief Imam is not hereditary, Afonja was killed in the rebellion by mainly Yoruba Muslims. Muslims were attacked across Yoruba land and they fled to Ilorin. Subsequently they delineated themselves under 6 Baloguns of which 4 were Yoruba and conducted jihads from Ilorin, at first led by Abdulsalam, then later by others, the last two or three Obas of Ilorin before 1897 were Yorubas but they could not allign with Ibadan and Oyo who see them as traitors who burnt down Oyo ile. So they dilly dallied, they allied with Ibadan, then with Ijesa until the Ajikobi put them under British protection in 1897. Balogun Ajikobi still have the document. If Fulani had conquered Ilorin, then they would have conquered Bariba and Jebba as well. The Hausa presence in Ilorin is stronger by far than the Fulani, their Balogun is strong while the Balogun Fulani is more or less nominal. So, what is the rationale behind spreading false tales that Ilorin was conquered by the Fulani?. Please stop the lies, let us endeavor to speak truth always. Even if Ilorin was occupied by the Fulani (such never happened). It is still a fact that Oba Sulaiman Dan Aliyu put Ilorin under Britain and he was an Ajikobi man. The document is still with the Ajikobi.

Stop spreading falsehood man, it is so sad.

Suleyman dan Aliyu was not an Ajikobi man. He was the son of Emir Aliyu (1869-1891) who was the son of Emir Shitta (1837-1860), who himself was the second son of Shehu Alimi by his Yoruba wife.

Shehu Alimi did not die before Afonja. Actually when Afonja died following the Abdussalami-led mutiny, Shehu Alimi defended that any harm be done to Afonja's family and that's why they stayed in Ilorin.

The two people you mentioned as signatories of the treaty with the British, Moma and Suleymanu, are both great-grandsons of Shehu Alimi. The first through Abdussalami, the second through Shitta.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

There May Be No General Elections In 2023 — PDP / Junaid Mohammed: Adeboye Can't Pretend Not To Know What Is Happening / Governor Makinde's Deputy, Olaniyan Vows To Not End Rift With His Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.