Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? (2204 Views)

Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor: "Eat Your Tithe And Die Quick" / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. / It's Only God And Apostle Suleman's Wife That Can Condemn Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:29am On Apr 17, 2016
Job 2:9 "His wife said to him, "You are still as faithful as ever, aren't you? Why don't you curse God and die?" .. (Good News Bible)

Please who can explain her motive? I mean, we are told Job had recently lost his children, wealth and home and was now afflicted with painful sores all over his body.

I believe the said children were hers also, and she also shared in his wealth and home.

Couldn't she have instead prayed for her husband rather than not only ask him to die, but to curse God before dying?

Was she just another cross God wanted him to bear or does her actions illustrate (some) ladies wouldn't stick around their husbands in trying times?
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 17, 2016
When suffering tarry for long,it takes grace for someone to remain steadfast..

I wont blame her,after all she's human.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Viole(f): 10:40am On Apr 17, 2016
Hmmm..Nice thought

1 Like

Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:42am On Apr 17, 2016
Yomieluv:
When suffering tarry for long,it takes grace for someone to remain steadfast..

I wont blame her,after all she's human.

Meaning she lacked grace? Did she also have to tell him to curse God even if she wished him death? Wouldn't cursing God have sent him to hell?
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by nnachukz(m): 10:46am On Apr 17, 2016
She was from Nigeria.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Blakjewelry(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2016
The question should be how did she know that if he curse God he will die. In fact how people have you seen or that curse then fall down and died
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 17, 2016
Aquariann:

Meaning she lacked grace? Did she also have to tell him to curse God even if she wished him death? Wouldn't cursing God have sent him to hell?
not that she lacks grace,she was at a breaking point to have said that. We all have our limit of endurance in any situation. She got to her breaking point,and say what she said.

Remember she's human,not a god.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:51am On Apr 17, 2016
nnachukz:
She was from Nigeria.

Lol.

I have a particular neighbour/family friends. I've known them since i began to talk as a child. 25 years plus, we're still neighbours, having built our personal homes next to each others.

I remember the husband lost his job in a (federal) higher institution were he worked. False accusations. She was a teacher with the state govt. A few months later (less than 4), she also lost her teaching job due to one silly indigenization policy. Though her husband is from the state.

Things were sooooo rough for them, such that the lady started selling onions and crayfish (i still remember her stand in the market till date). The husband was so against it but she asked him what would they eat? They had three kids then. Things never got better and he relocated from the state with his family and the wife got a teaching job with a private school. He stayed back, fighting for his job..

Long story short, some five or six years later, he was found innocent and reinstated. Backlog of salaries paid. He brought his family back. His wife got a job with the same institution as a non-academic staff.. By the time they were recruiting for academic staff, she switched easily. Today she's a senior lecturer in that same sch. Her hubby a top management staff.

Sometime ago, she carried me in her SUV and we came upon these group of ladies in the local government secretariat who approached her claiming hunger. She bought a bucket of egg rolls a boy was hawking and minerals for them. On our way she told me those were her colleagues in the government primary school she once taught who teamed up against her to push her out. They were they for all those teacher verification and ish. Meanwhile God don raise her tey tey.

Sorry for the epistle, but i just wanted to tell you a thousand Nigerian women do stand by their hubby through thick and thin.

Job's wife could have done same.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:52am On Apr 17, 2016
Blakjewelry:
The question should be how did she know that if he curse God he will die. In fact how people have you seen or that curse then fall down and died

Can't say. But we're told the God of the old strikes you down or something like that once you sin against him.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by ifenes(m): 11:07am On Apr 17, 2016
A stone age story
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2016
Aquariann:

Can't say. But we're told the God of the old strikes you down or something like that once you sin against him.
I don't think so, I don't see any difference between the connection between heaven and earth of old and of today. Have you ever wondered why the Israelites keep going against Mosco, it because its just like our Pastors keep telling you that God said you should do this or that. History always written to favour the writer
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 11:25am On Apr 17, 2016
ifenes:
A stone age story

The bible itself is stone age then.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 11:28am On Apr 17, 2016
Blakjewelry:

I don't think so, I don't see any difference between the connection between heaven and earth of old and of today. Have you ever wondered why the Israelites keep going against Mosco, it because its just like our Pastors keep telling you that God said you should do this or that. History always written to favour the writer

Okay lets just say she assumed his death was certain, hence she wanted him to just register his displeasure with God before dying? That's cursing him having been faithful initially.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 11:34am On Apr 17, 2016
Yomieluv:
not that she lacks grace,she was at a breaking point to have said that. We all have our limit of endurance in any situation. She got to her breaking point,and say what she said.

Remember she's human,not a god.

you have a point i.e human factor

"May our loyalties never be tested".. BRF...
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by drestoneokuta(m): 6:02am On Jun 04, 2016
That is not the question you should ask, the question you should ask is why didn't Satan kill her along jobs children and properties? Because he planned on using her to tempt Job..... He who finds a wife..... Sigh undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 04, 2016
She almost suffered just as much and wasn't as strong as job. Or she was a witch
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by delishpot: 8:34am On Jun 04, 2016
Because she gave up. She had all her kids taken from her, burdened with the responsibility of caring for a sick husband and feeding them both. Do you know what it means for a mom to lose just 1 child out of her 6 kids talk less of a woman loosing all her kids and having a sick husband to care for with nothing to their name? All in a world where a woman is considered helpless if she has no man by her side be it a husband or son ? Do not judge her. Pray that God will not test you as he tested her. Believe me, I think she suffered more than job himself who was being tested.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 8:39am On Jun 04, 2016
drestoneokuta:
That is not the question you should ask, the question you should ask is why didn't Satan kill her along jobs children and properties? Because he planned on using her to tempt Job..... He who finds a wife..... Sigh undecided

Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:16pm On Jun 04, 2016
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Slikbae: 2:26pm On Jun 04, 2016
Because she felt God had failed him.

Imagine a hypothetical situation, where Sir Adeboye himself the hypothetical holiest man on the fave of the earth loses all his wealth, possession, had all his children killed, got all his churches worldwide burnt and was rid of all that he had, all in one day.

Imagine that kind of situation, only 1 person in a billion will not lose his faith in such circumstance. So I don't blame the wife.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nmeri17: 7:56am On Jul 26, 2016
Interesting thread. OP seems to be an intelligent fellow although I cannot but observe the absence of nutritive value the answer to your question offers a growing Christian. Unless you're non-theist and deliberately seek to show that the old testament Jehovah struck people dead for cursing Him.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2016
delishpot:
Because she gave up. She had all her kids taken from her, burdened with the responsibility of caring for a sick husband and feeding them both. Do you know what it means for a mom to lose just 1 child out of her 6 kids talk less of a woman loosing all her kids and having a sick husband to care for with nothing to their name? All in a world where a woman is considered helpless if she has no man by her side be it a husband or son ? Do not judge her. Pray that God will not test you as he tested her. Believe me, I think she suffered more than job himself who was being tested .

Wondering why i never saw your comment until today.

I get the point you're trying to make.

Couldn't she have instead prayed for her husband rather than not only ask him to die, but to curse God before dying? This is my bone of contention. Another option she had was to leave back to her home because at that point I believe Job cursing God and dying wouldn't have automatically changed her own situation.

Meanwhile I find the embolden statement ridiculous. Lol
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 8:21am On Jul 26, 2016
Nmeri17:
Interesting thread. OP seems to be an intelligent fellow although I cannot but observe the absence of nutritive value the answer to your question offers a growing Christian . Unless you're non-theist and deliberately seek to show that the old testament Jehovah struck people dead for cursing Him.

I'm not Non-theist, as a matter of fact I'm a strong believer in the existence of God. I was actually just seeking a better understanding of Job's story as related to his wife.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nmeri17: 9:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
Aquariann:

I'm not Non-theist, as a matter of fact I'm a strong believer in the existence of God. I was actually just seeking a better understanding of Job's story as related to his wife.
To what end?? Don't even bother; the question is largely rhetoric. In all honesty, there are a myriad of other things you should be worried about as a Christian--that were they to be documented, it would span more than twenty hundred books (conservatively)--that this falls far far far below that body of knowledge.

Another thing to note is Matthew 18:6. It's quite careless of you to post a topic like this on a forum visited by weak and strong in faith alike.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nmeri17:
To what end?? Don't even bother; the question is largely rhetoric. In all honesty, there are a myriad of other things you should be worried about as a Christian--that were they to be documented, it would span more than twenty hundred books (conservatively)--that this falls far far far below that body of knowledge.

Another thing to note is Matthew 18:6. It's quite careless of you to post a topic like this on a forum visited by weak and strong in faith alike.

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea".

But I was just seeking an understanding of a bible verse
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nmeri17: 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2016
Aquariann:

But I was just seeking an understanding of a bible verse
Do you sir understand that your innocuous quest for answer to your question could easily infer a taskmaster overlord that strikes his subjects dead should they curse Him? That was actually why I opened the thread and it could cause someone else also to affiliate with such unwholesome beliefs. Dissociation from the thread remains in your best interest.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 10:51am On Jul 27, 2016
Nmeri17:
Do you sir understand that your innocuous quest for answer to your question could easily infer a taskmaster overlord that strikes his subjects dead should they curse Him? That was actually why I opened the thread and it could cause someone else also to affiliate with such unwholesome beliefs. Dissociation from the thread remains in your best interest.

Lol... But i sincerely believe if devout Christians provided answers (or tried) to questions alot of their brethren ask, rather than shy away from them, they'll win more souls. Or at best keep the souls already in the fold.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by 0ubenji(m): 1:38pm On Jul 27, 2016
Aquariann:

is it logically possible to curse God anyways?
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Aquariann: 2:46pm On Jul 27, 2016
0ubenji:

Not exactly possible in the true sense of the word "curse". But i guess she meant hauling insults or swear words at His Name.
Re: Why Did Job's Wife Tell Him To Curse God And Die? by Nmeri17: 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
0ubenji:

Perhaps. On studious deliberation of any specific instance you might generously spare, we might actually discover the various platforms through which we can curse the Almighty.

Say, telling Him He's not going to amount to much in life or that for being the root cause of your indignation, He's going to go to Lagos and on His way back, be involved in a fatal accident and die on the spot!

(1) (Reply)

Winning The Battle For Your Mind ( Part 3 ) - Joseph Prince / Heaven Or Earth, Where Would You Rather Spend Your Eternity If Asked To Choose? / I Have Finished My Earthly Ministry, I Will Die Soon – Pastor Odumeje Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.