Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 (73556 Views)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / Sudden Death: 4 Ways Sex Can Kill You (Pics) / Huge Cancerous Tumour Removed From Kidney Of Poor Child In Port Harcourt (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by ipledge10(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
Really? I have seen this plant at plenty of home in Nigeria...this is a very important issue,maybe our ministry of health should get involved

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by 3rdlegxxx(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
What can I say, we learn everyday!!!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Ayatul(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
I was hoping the writer was going to give us the phytochemicals components of this plant. It might help in understanding the level of toxicity. However, this is a wake up call and Its high time for us to be vigilant especially with children who are fond of putting anything in mouth. Cool Info Thanks.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by habsydiamond(m): 10:34pm On Apr 17, 2016
So this flower can kill someone. Olorun gba wa ooo lowo koriko tio loju to le pa ni ooo.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by VickyRotex(f): 10:35pm On Apr 17, 2016
abbacar:
as i speak.. i water that plant daily in my house... as u have told me.... i shall continue to water it ...only that this time i shall not use water but dat which shall render it dead .... in a slow way.. because nah my landlord plant.. the guy no they use plant play... if u wan catch d guy just love plants and am plant different species for am

lmao!!! cheesy cheesy

My dad sef no dey joke with plants, especially flowering plants. grin grin

But if I send him this information and he confirms, I'm sure if there's any plant like that in the compound, he will ask them to destroy it ASAP tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 17, 2016
Does it mean the plant has no importance?.. Before people start sending this beautiful plant to their early graves, Please someone should tell us the good things the plant can do apart from being to threat to human life...

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by osaslord500(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2016
Richydos:

Be sincere to yourself... Have you made any sense with whatever u just said
If u even took a sec to digest what I wrote then u will understand that my outburst was meant to correct the wrong impression about joking with almost everything.. Most especially health........

I perfectly understand, Bt I see no reason for insults, correction and insults are not in the same line
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by guychidile: 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2016
what is the name of the plant,...thanks for the information. God help us.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Lessonteacher(f): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2016
thanks,very educating and life-saving
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by VickyRotex(f): 10:42pm On Apr 17, 2016
Equalizer:
Does it mean the plant has no importance?.. Before people start sending this beautiful plant to their early graves, Please someone should tell us the good things the plant can do apart from being to threat to human life...

I got this from Wikipedia

"In the Philippines, dumb cane plant is being studied; researchers have found that dumb cane plant contains active ingredients that cause antiangiogenic effect[7] potential for the treatment of cancer. Antiangiogenesis is a process that inhibits the growth and development of new blood vessels in the body.

Antiangiogenesis controls the spread of tumour cells in the body by disabling the transport of nutrients toward the cancerous cells. Normally, tumour starts from a single cell and divides to make more cancer cells. The growth of malignant cells will depend on the availability of specific nutrients being transported by blood vessels.[8]

Findings of the study claimed that dumb cane’s ability to prevent blood vessel growth and development can be possibly used in the formulation of anti-cancer drug to help prevent the spread of cancer cells in the human body."

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by ademasta(m): 10:43pm On Apr 17, 2016
God!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by laslimdajay: 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
Let me tell my neighbour asap
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by screamng: 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
Please if you know someone that died from contact with this plant, call NEMA. It could be your discovery. However I hoped you have your facts.

Toxicity

Dieffenbachia’s inflorescence

The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped
calcium oxalate crystals called raphides . If a leaf is
chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning
sensation and erythema . In rare cases, edema of tissues
exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and
ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms. [10]
With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia
(typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant
symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation,
excessive drooling, and localized swelling. [11] However,
these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases,
symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with
analgesic agents, [12] antihistamines, [13] or medical
charcoal. [14][15] Gastric evacuation or lavage is
"seldom" [14] indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic
plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2016
VickyRotex:

I got this from Wikipedia

"In the Philippines, dumb cane plant is being studied; researchers have found that dumb cane plant contains active ingredients that cause antiangiogenic effect[7] potential for the treatment of cancer. Antiangiogenesis is a process that inhibits the growth and development of new blood vessels in the body.

Antiangiogenesis controls the spread of tumour cells in the body by disabling the transport of nutrients toward the cancerous cells. Normally, tumour starts from a single cell and divides to make more cancer cells. The growth of malignant cells will depend on the availability of specific nutrients being transported by blood vessels.[8]

Findings of the study claimed that dumb cane’s ability to prevent blood vessel growth and development can be possibly used in the formulation of anti-cancer drug to help prevent the spread of cancer cells in the human body."
Nice one.. I think the best thing to do is to enlighten the people about the plant and also keep it out of reach for kids.. Everything God created on earth has its importance most especially to man kind.. I will grow more of the plant now so that it can be used to save lots of cancer patients in the future..
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by shamecurls(m): 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2016
Chai

See better vegetable

Okro soup things
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by OlujobaSamuel: 10:51pm On Apr 17, 2016
I don't know the name, but I know it's poisonous since I was a kid. we don't have it in our compound, although I do see it in people's compound, I don't know the health benefits.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 17, 2016
Ginaz:
I will tell my aunt o, she like planting anything plantable sad

Is she a FARMERNESS ?

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by hrhobi1(m): 10:53pm On Apr 17, 2016
Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms.[10] With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling.[11] However, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents,[12] antihistamines,[13] or medical charcoal.[14][15] Gastric evacuation or lavage is "seldom"[14] indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Dimejidude(m): 10:58pm On Apr 17, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823

I don't think we should mislead people with screaming headlines.This report is absolutely exaggerated

The claim that rubbing your eyes after
touching the plant can cause permanent
blindness also seems to be an exaggeration. The Emedicine article notes that "Ocular exposure may result in eye pain, redness, and lid swelling",
but makes no mention of permanent blindness.

Other medical articles describe dieffenbachia
induced corneal injury but again make no mention of permanent blindness.
While the warning message is overblown and
inaccurate, it should be stressed that ingesting
dieffenbachia can certainly cause a number of
distressing and painful symptoms.

www.hoax-slayer.com/killer-house-plant-warning.shtml
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by blank(f): 11:00pm On Apr 17, 2016
I remember when I was about 6. I cut the stem and it looked like sugar cane to me. So I started chewing it. The taste was not palatable so I spat it out. My throat and mouth felt like they were on fire. I couldn't even shout.

I rushed to my mum to show her the plant. She started speaking in tongues cos I was looking pretty bad. She gave me almost a gallon of palm oil to drink. I was still on fire. Called for an ambulance to rush me to the hospital. Whilst waiting, saw a cup of cocoa that they made for my youngest brother and I downed the whole mug. It gave me relief.

Since then, I have a phobia for potted plants.

3 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by olarhtunji(m): 11:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
tosyne2much:
I chewed this leaf yesterday and I almost lost my life.. If not for the help of my villa mates, I for don wave goodbye to earth

why would a grown up just decide to eat a leaf when you are not a Goat...God have mercy

3 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by luluosas(m): 11:09pm On Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for the information
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by tosyne2much(m): 11:15pm On Apr 17, 2016
olarhtunji:

why would a grown up just decide to eat a leaf when you are not a Goat...God have mercy
As I saw guys blowing lies so I followed suite cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Alabitrends01: 11:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
hmmn.!!! I have experience something similar when I was young. hmmmmn I thank God shs
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Tosbi(m): 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2016
I showed my pal this post as he is quite conversant with plants, and he confirmed same to me about the danger of this plant but also claims the advantage of this plant is its scares away snakes in the house which makes it a lot beneficial as against its side effects.

I do see this plant in lots and lots of houses in the country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823
It got to be true since the name starts with die
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by jojosweet(f): 11:31pm On Apr 17, 2016
Richydos:

Be sincere to yourself... Have you made any sense with whatever u just said
If u even took a sec to digest what I wrote then u will understand that my outburst was meant to correct the wrong impression about joking with almost everything.. Most especially health........
life na jeje, u should have approached the issue with calm and maturity. Then probably u would have made better sense.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by sammylay: 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2016
osaslord500:
Chai, and na watin I use for soup bdat ooo
Tell us when be your burial.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 17, 2016
op ...childhood memories! I nearly got blinded by that plant
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by UjSizzle(f): 11:45pm On Apr 17, 2016
But why will you be eating flower, shey ugu have finish in the market? undecided

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by professore(m): 11:49pm On Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for the information
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Keketu(m): 11:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
AlienStar:
Anything apart from Bougainvillea, hibiscus. Aloe vera is a NO-NO!
this will help https://www.nairaland.com/3053356/ladies-why-thou-boobs-fallen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help!! Fungi Is Spoiling My Face And Neck / PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola / COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.