Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered (13571 Views)

APC Shifts NEC Meeting, Postpones ‘evil’ Day / Photos Of The Money Uncovered By EFCC In Ikoyi, Lagos / PDP Shifts National Convention To November, Makarfi Remains In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by dre11(m): 8:55am On Apr 18, 2016
Presidential panel uncovers billions of naira unexecuted contracts

From Molly Kilete, Abuja

THE presidential committee set up to probe illegal purchase of arms for the ongoing counter-terrorism war in the North East has concluded arrangement to beam its searchlights on the Nigerian Navy, Daily Sun can authoritatively reveal.

The probe will begin on May 1.

A competent source revealed that funds running into billions of Naira, earmarked for the purchase of equipment, which has not been purchased or delivered, have been traced to the Nigerian Navy, even though the source says it is not as messy as that of the Air Force and the Nigerian Army.

The panel is to invite past and present chiefs of naval staff, Chief of Training and Operations (C-TOPS), Chief of Policy and Plans (COPP), Chief of Accounts and Budgets as well as directors in the finance department to explain what they know about the purchase of arms for the counter insurgency war.

The source said although it has not yet decide on whether or not to invite the past navy chiefs, the evidence by those invited would determine the fate of past CNS.

The source, who would not want to be mentioned, told Daily Sun that investigations showed that huge sums of money allocated to the navy for the counter insurgency operation was not accounted for.

According to the source, “the Nigerian Navy is the next service that we are going to invite concerning purchasing of arms and ammunition. I must, however, say that the amount we are investigating is little compared to that of the Air Force and the army. That is probably because Boko Haram operations is not a navy operation, but they are still involved in the arms purchase.

“Navy was given a specific amount of money but not as much as army and NAF, but we will find out what they did with that money. That is why we will invite past and present CNS, if the need arises. But we will also invite the past and present chiefs of policy and plans, chief of administrations, budgeting, departmental chiefs and anyone that has something to do with contract procurement because the navy collected money that they have not been able to account for.

“We also have instances where the navy collected money from Federal Government agencies without informing the Defence Headquarters.”

Meanwhile, more army officers are expected to appear today and tomorrow before the panel to explain what they know about the purchase of arms and ammunition. This is coming just as our source said 40 serving and retired army officer have so far appeared before the presidential panel, which have penciled down 60 army officers to appear before it.

Most of the officers who appeared before the panel are said to have given useful information to the panel.

The source said though the panel has not yet invite any former or present chief of army staff, revelations made by some of the officers in their confessional statements, indicted some army chiefs in the area of misapplication of funds running into billions of Naira and dollars.

According to the source, “there are instances where the army collected huge amounts of money from the Federal Government agencies for specific purposes and spent it without referring or informing the Defence Headquarters, and we are talking about money running into billions of Naira.

“We have instances where army officers and service chiefs collected money from government agencies and spent it on entirely different purposes other than for that for which it was given without authorisation.

“For instance, we have uncovered instances where the approving authority collects money for purpose A, and spent it on purpose B, without virement; it is unlawful to do that and a lot of money will be coming out by the time we finish.”

Asked to comment on speculations that members of the panel members were specially selected to witch-hunt members of the opposition and anyone who stood in the way of President Muhammadu Buhari in the last elections, the source said members of the panel were men of integrity who had successful careers in the Nigerian Armed Forces.

The source who spoke on how the panel operates, said, “we are not a court, but an administrative panel and we work with the documents in our possession. We don’t need to invite anybody to face the panel with the kind of documents that we have, but you see we have to do that out of courtesy. It is out of fairness that we invite whosoever that is involved to come and say what he has to say.

“If your name is in our books, we invite you to hear from you. We have invited both serving and retired officers and if indicted at the end of the day, we write our reports and send to the convening authority, who decides whatever they want to do with our report. We have no powers to send anybody to court. There has been a lot of exaggeration.

“We are not out to witch-hunt anybody; we are retired military personnel with very high integrity and the panel is not being dictated to by anybody. The panel is not tele-guided by anybody and the panel is not biased.

“What we do is we peruse documents, accounts and contracts from the three services, Army, Navy and Air Force, and from there we dig out the facts.

“So far, we have invited 40 serving and retired army officers that have something to do with procurement. While the panel is expected to conclude its interview of army officers by the end of April, and commence with officers of the Nigerian Navy, the panel may ask for another extension to enable it do a through job.”

A top security source told Daily Sun that the panel, which will conclude its nine months time frame at the end of May, may apply for an extension to enable it conclude reports and make recommendations to the convening authorities.

When contacted last night, Commodore Chris Ezekobe, naval spokesman, said he could not comment until he gets to the office today to know the details.

http://sunnewsonline.com/arms-deal-probe-shifts-to-navy/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by TANTUMERGO007(m): 8:56am On Apr 18, 2016
grin Buhari first term in office has been officially declared the 'TERM OF DISCOVERY' by the WAILERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, i am getting bored of all these news.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by iliyande(m): 9:02am On Apr 18, 2016
shocked
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Beeman1(m): 9:05am On Apr 18, 2016
Good.

God bless PMB/PYO

God bless APC and their supporters

As for PDP and their supporters,may confusion continue in their camp cheesy

God bless me and every nairalander reading this.

God bless Nigeria.

#Istandwithbuhari.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by kingphilip(m): 9:11am On Apr 18, 2016
can these things be done simultaneously please

there's been scarcity of petroleum and light and all we hear here is uncovering uncovering uncovering without anybody indicted and sentenced

the uncovering is good but give us something to water our mouths first while uncovering what will take a very long time to recover

God bless Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by ijustdey: 9:15am On Apr 18, 2016
am expectant of more revelation......

the former government have used the arm purchases to milk the nation dry..

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Almajiri1: 9:25am On Apr 18, 2016
We await to be bombarded with some bogus amounts.

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by antispexish(m): 9:31am On Apr 18, 2016
kingphilip:
can these things be done simultaneously please

there's been scarcity of petroleum and light and all we hear here is uncovering uncovering uncovering without anybody indicted and sentenced

the uncovering is good but give us something to water our mouths first while uncovering what will take a very long time to recover

God bless Nigeria

you uncover first, you then indict before you sentence. If dem merge am together now, some people will start complaining again.

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 18, 2016
Democracy cannot flush out these looters because the courts and corrupts judges will always be at their mercy. No matter how hard buhari tries, his efforts will be frustrated by the number one enemy of our nation called "DEMOCRACY AND RULE OF LAW". sad The likes of badeh, metuh, Dasuki and the rest are still in courts despite obvious evidences of looting perpetuated by them. Nigeria is not ripe for democracy. Our Leaders (Mis-leaders) exploit the loop holes in the law to escape justice. We need a tyrant dictator to fix this nation. I wish we can practice North korea's totalitarian rule for one year which empowers Buhari to be the almighty with no law checking his powers. Then the corrupts elites will flee or be executed on live TV and our dear nation will be saved sad

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Standing5(m): 9:40am On Apr 18, 2016
I am sure Jona-clueless had no clue about this. Is like the VC of a school with 99% failure rate and he claims the report from HODs implicates no one, so there is no need for probe.

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by kingphilip(m): 10:48am On Apr 18, 2016
antispexish:

you uncover first, you then indict before you sentence. If dem merge am together now, some people will start complaining again.
I wasn't talking about merging the uncovering, indicting and sentencing together

all I was saying was do others like fixing electricity and fuel scarcity together with the uncovering

for how long will we continue with uncovering

5 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by DaBullIT(m): 10:52am On Apr 18, 2016
This another witch hunt in the making

Most navy men are from SS,SE,ND , Buhari is looking for an excuse

I am predicting someone will say something related to the Above

Because they always have to Blame and Fault Buhari

Anyways he nor concern me

my own na Sai Baba , keep up the work

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Xenchi: 12:01pm On Apr 18, 2016
ijustdey:
am expectant of more revelation......

the former government have used the arm purchases to milk the nation dry..
me too
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 18, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:
grin Buhari first term in office has been officially declared the 'TERM OF DISCOVERY' by the WAILERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, i am getting bored of all these news.

It is your money that is being stolen by the way...that the government is now recovering.

I know you are angry that Buhari is president....but you should be angry that the GEJ you love appointed people into office who chopped and chopped money. But in your anger...such stealing is justified...even if it is from your own pockets.

You wailers...I no dey get you. Stealing by your own people...even when it affects you...is okay.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by lonelydora: 12:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
Good move. PMB must put Nigeria back on track.
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by WebSurfer(m): 12:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
Probe everyday
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by omowolewa: 12:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
Kuje
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by eleojo23: 12:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
The whole system has always been corrupt and even the present administration is not spared.

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
DaBullIT:
This another witch hunt in the making

Most navy men are from SS,SE,ND , Buhari is looking for an excuse

I am predicting someone will say something related to the Above

Because they always have to Blame and Fault Buhari

Anyways he nor concern me

my own na Sai Baba , keep up the work

wink grin

On a more serious note...seems that most Nigerians...and this time, I am talking about past administrations, not just the last 7 years....seem to be okay with their kinsmen being corrupt....even when such corruption affects them.

I despair sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by emeijeh(m): 12:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ok undecided

Maybe we will hear shocking revelations that will make Badeh's "child's play"

Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Arewa12: 12:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
all of dem be like
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by 989900: 12:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
Jesus H. Christ!
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Etizz: 12:10pm On Apr 18, 2016
Sad....

They really rubbed us.....
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by DeRuggedProf: 12:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
By the time this probe is over, a Litre of petrol will go for N1500/Litre... grin
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by chrisxxx(m): 12:13pm On Apr 18, 2016
What should occupy our minds now:
Where and when is Buhari travelling next and how much would it cost us?
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by AntiWailer: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2016
Beeman1:
Good.

God bless PMB/PYO

God bless APC and their supporters

As for PDP and their supporters,may confusion continue in their camp cheesy

God bless me and every nairalander reading this.

God bless Nigeria.

#Istandwithbuhari.
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Naturallyme: 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2016
Still witchhunting #InWailersVoice#
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Olypeppy(f): 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2016
lord just punish this people yourself.They really wanna cripple Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Nobody: 12:20pm On Apr 18, 2016
Did you just say little amount, without figures?
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Prince081: 12:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
I just hope all this is not part of the usual APC propaganda. If all this recoveries/planned recoveries are real; why did PMB spend one week in China begging for money /loan?
We are watching and the 4 years term is ticking away very fast. The level of poverty, inflation, unemployment, fuel scarcity e.t.c will not be alleviated by giving us the same probe/corruption/recovery story daily.
Re: Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 18, 2016
kingphilip:
I wasn't talking about merging the uncovering, indicting and sentencing together

all I was saying was do others like fixing electricity and fuel scarcity together with the uncovering

for how long will we continue with uncovering

How can you fix what other people are actively trying to destroy, mind you the act of destroying is very easy than repairing
You heard a bunch of well abled youths (pipeline vandals) daring your president just this morning. While there are also people in the energy sector trying to undermine this administration by every means necessary in the hopes of winning the 2019 election.

I'm curious, how do you cure a patient without actively destroying whatever virus/bacterial thats causing their alingment?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Signs Extradition Treaty With Italy / Air Force Reactivates C-130H Aircraft / They Depend On Guns But Jehovah Is With Me - Dino Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.